Rogue Poisons - Major Para

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Rogue Poisons - Major Para

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:22 pm

I'm just going to go out on a limb here and garner the wrath of all rogues by saying that having major para poison in the game is broken. I solo'd a mob today that I never should have been able to solo. Sure, it's nice to be able to do it upon occasion, and the poison isn't exactly abundant in the game, but it's just way too powerful all the way around. If I've ever supported having it in the game before, I hereby retract any previous statements I may have made about it.

Coming from a rogue this should have some weight, I hope. If it's left in the game I will continue to use it as an available resource... I'm not so idealistic that I'm going to turn my back on a resource that the staff obviously wants available to us. If it's taken out of the game I won't cry at all, I promise.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:05 am

8)

Scrawny elf rogues have no weight- they're practically skin and bones.
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:06 am

That major para ring still able to be recharged by turning it back into the quest mob? Neat!
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:28 am

Is this a mob that any caster would have been able to solo?

I'm quite amazed at the mobs that casters can solo compared to hitters.
Uzzel
Sojourner

Re: Rogue Poisons - Major Para

Postby Uzzel » Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:56 am

There been major para poisons from from various items in the game a long long time, and as long as the level of the poison dont get to high it shouldnt unballance anything. If a rogue attempts to para a mob (level 50 or less) 10+ then to finnaly make it so what? He (she) worked for it. Sometimes he (she) will make in in 1 run too, great.
Assassinate lets rogues solo great mobs that others could only dream about soloing at times too. Why make a big deal about. Let them have their fun.

Uzzel
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:07 pm

hi
Last edited by Dalar on Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:12 pm

So when will rangers be allowed to poison their arrows and instant kill mobs with a called shot to the eye? I want my fun too.

How about clerics? Can they get 'Holy Holdstill Batman!' spells and finger of death? They need fun!

I think all classes should be able to immobilize mobs completely somehow, and also instant kill in some way.

In all seriousness: Props to Ash for having the courage to point out something that has long been unbalanced. Rogues, in general need some serious balancing, especially when/if melee gets an upgrade. They're already pulling their own weight and more . . . who knows how overpowered they'll be after straight melee gets fixed!

No offense to rogues, of course. I totally support their role as CR machine, zone utility (picking, traps, etc) and utility combat (backstab, circle, poisons, trip). But couple all of that with being the absolute best melee characters in the game and you've got. . . imbalance =( ANyway!
Happy Thanksgiving!

Lost
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:35 pm

Don't forget garrote! perhaps the most underrated skill of them all!
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:48 pm

Dalar wrote:
Tanji Smanji wrote:That major para ring still able to be recharged by turning it back into the quest mob? Neat!

hooray for easter eggs and god leaks!

The quest mob tells you this when you get it.
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:59 pm

oops my bad :P i heard someone traded it and was wondering why anyone would ever do that.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:05 am

Yeah that's exactly what the mud needs, another melee downgrade!
Ensis
Sojourner

Re: Rogue Poisons - Major Para

Postby Ensis » Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:57 pm

Ashiwi wrote:I'm just going to go out on a limb here and garner the wrath of all rogues by saying that having major para poison in the game is broken. I solo'd a mob today that I never should have been able to solo. Sure, it's nice to be able to do it upon occasion, and the poison isn't exactly abundant in the game, but it's just way too powerful all the way around. If I've ever supported having it in the game before, I hereby retract any previous statements I may have made about it.

Coming from a rogue this should have some weight, I hope. If it's left in the game I will continue to use it as an available resource... I'm not so idealistic that I'm going to turn my back on a resource that the staff obviously wants available to us. If it's taken out of the game I won't cry at all, I promise.

I'd say:

A: what is involved in the quest to get it, how long/how many items/etc.
B: Enchanters have Major Para, Warriors have Gythka
C: You found out a rogue could solo a mob and you think thats terribly wrong..I think that statement in itself explains the sad state of melee vs casters since most of them have a broad list of things they can solo.

Are you trying to relegate rogues into being scouts/hiders/menial damage dealers in zones?
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:32 pm

well....

in my experience it has a frighteningly high success rate.... >50%? I would say its easily 4x more effective than casting MP.

the casting time is instant (backstab) even though the lag is still there after the stab (if you fail your dead).

I think some the major para poison is too easy to get or maybe has too many appilcations (# of uses). However, if it was hard to get, then it probably wouldn't get used at all... I think that and blind poison make rogue life a lot more interesting....

What really breaks major para poison is the combintation of great success rate and double stabbing it 8x before it wears off... Adjusting the success rate would make it unused... maybe you shouldn't be able to double stab the same mob 8x in a row even with para... Maybe a double stab should have a 10-15% chance of waking up a mob?

The combination of major para and bstab is sick, but then again the combo of PWB, DSCALE, BLUR, and MP is a lot more versatile and pretty sicker. blah blah blah exp blah blah blah caster blah blah blah

I was with 2 rogues who did the smoke invasion assassin. I did it one time with one rogue who almost did, but it crashed. para then double stab double stab double stab. Yes there were a lot of corpses, and 2 other people helping.... but still
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”