new roller: request reroll period

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Sarell
Sojourner

new roller: request reroll period

Postby Sarell » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:41 am

the new roller is pumping out obscene stats, I always thought stat should be lowered so we have some diversity now you can just roll top notch in everything. Can we have a week or so to reroll our stats using the new roller so we can be on par with new characters? Alternately, can we scrap the new roller and downgrade and reroll with the old one? :9
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:43 am

I agree.

And I also need an excuse to test the added quote to my sig!
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:50 am

I had that poll where players could pay to 'enhance' stats at guildmaster for older players. Although it was totally overwhelming in favor of this option, no admin ever bothered answering. Even multiple request for an official response, nothing... I don't think older players should reroll, rather than just using money. Money is a complete waste as it is. May as well use it to pay for stats.

After thinking that this may seem like a slam, it's not meant to be. What I'm saying is that it's easier to just change bits for coding rather than having a god level a player manually over and over. What seems to bother me the most is when an improvement is implemented into the mud, some players can come accross as 'hey, I'm screwed over in this, blah blah' even though they may not be trying to be or seem disrespectful. I feel the new roller is for anticipation of all the newbies that will come from the advertising. Having better stats helps a noob's chances. Since old players have stacks of money, the guildmaster seems like a viable option.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:03 am

I'd settle for just being able to swap some of my stats with other stats. Like I really need an 87 dex on my caster with a 52 con.
Asup group-says 'who needs sex ed when you got sesexe.'
Targsk group-says 'sexedse'
mount dragon
You climb on and ride Tocx'enth'orix, the elder black dragon.
You have learned something new about mount!
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:43 am

I settled in a few categories on two of my chars and it has not hurt me in the least. I think that part of diversity is good for the mud. I'm willing to bet I can easily compete with people who rolled perfect stats with their chars despite me not having the supreme stats.

I think we should be happy with the stats we got,they're not hurting anything as best I can tell. Further, tweak the currect roller a bit. It seems too powerful.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:50 am

It's been toned down quite a bit. No longer do you seem to get perfects and heroics in the same roll. Best I have gotten after an hour is the same old stats you could get before, except now you can switch them as you want.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:18 pm

I agree 100% that diversity in stats is a good thing. Which is precisely why the new roller makes absolutely no sense. It also doesn't help new players, fine adjustment of stats only matters and fairly advanced levels. It serves only to make stats insignificant in gameplay as everyone will have the top ones, and in doing so makes any +stat gear less worthwhile.
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:01 pm

yep. Although I also agree with thilindel. I didn't get super elite stats on my chanter. They're good because I could switch and tune them some, but for the most part they are what I would have rolled with the old one.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:47 pm

I rolled a 3 perfect, heroic, fair about 1 week ago.

However, the heroic is just barely heroic as I pumped 2 into a mighty and it changed. *stare*

I've also rolled several perfect 2 heroics mighty, 2 heroics 3 mighties
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:26 am

so you are saying you want to be a warrior with 76 starting con?

you sure as hell dont!

with the eq changes, +stat gear is a bit harder to come by. stop with this punishing newbies mentality.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:36 am

I think it would be great it some warriors had to start with 78 con ... anyhow teyaha, explain how not having 90+ in 4 stats punishes newbies?
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:32 am

they can get that now, smartypants.

you dont want th em to have it..or the fact that they can get it and you cant is making you jealous.

do we have to complain about every fucking change made?

lower stats increases the dependence on eq..and you guys are asking for better skills in at least two current active threads.

make up your minds.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:41 am

Asking for better skills in other areas doesn't really relate to stat changes. I think character stats are way too high in general, and have posted that before the changse. Now with the changes they are just ridiculous. Also changing the roller in a !pwipe game does make differences in power of characters which is a problem. It is called feedback teyaha, and is what this forum is about.

Having l;ower stats would make people rely on equipment some for stats. Rather than not at all as is the case currently. Which makes all the +stat equipment completely pointless. People are consistently telling me that they are rolling characters with 2 or 3 perfects and the other stats in high 90s. Since players then have no reason to wear stat gear it means the gear that people do wear becomes flacid and flat. Gear doesnt matter much at all to a new players ability to play anyhow. Especially stat gear.
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:00 am

I agree that it's nice to make stat gear worthwhile. However, if we must rely on it, there may need to be more available. The reason I remade Yarash was due to his stats, and partially due to lack of decent con gear. Stuff like the muspel invasion mage robe is cool because not only is it uber, but it has the +int as a bonus. Erm, anyways, I agree that variations in stats are a good thing. (Stats like my previous ones should not be possible to roll, it's just bad for newbies.)

As it turns out, I remade him after the uber +con spob earrings came in, and before the new roller, doh!

- Mike
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:44 pm

we want new players. very few new players will come to this game with no experience in how these games work, so they WILL want good starting stats.

if they cant get them quickly, they wont play. that's just that.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:54 pm

how do new players know what are 'good' stats... if they thought it was a d100 they would think they are the luckiest person alive under current roller. I would think it was twinky and stupid personally. When you roll a char in D&D you dont get 4 18s or whatever.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:16 pm

yep new roller makes +stat eq just about worthless. I'm glad we redid eq changes to make room for new eq just as we mothballed a whole set of +stat apply flags from usefulness.

STR: perfect AGI: perfect DEX: mundane CON: heroic
POW: mundane INT: perfect WIS: mundane CHA: bad

STR: heroic AGI: perfect DEX: mundane CON: heroic
POW: mundane INT: average WIS: perfect CHA: bad

4 heroic/perfect stats take a few hours to roll as of last week. 4 mighties with a heroic/perfect sprinkled in is trivial

* I wonder when people gonna start getting caged for botting the roller. *
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:51 am

Sarell wrote:how do new players know what are 'good' stats... if they thought it was a d100 they would think they are the luckiest person alive under current roller. I would think it was twinky and stupid personally. When you roll a char in D&D you dont get 4 18s or whatever.

you'rekiding right?

they've played everquest, or daoc, or something else like it. all the other fantasy based mmorpg's use 1-100 or higher for stats.

and it doesnt take a genius to figure out that 80 > 70

they dont know about notches though..but who cares. as long as they dont roll 20 con when rolling a warrior.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:21 am

Teyaha wrote:you'rekiding right?

they've played everquest, or daoc, or something else like it. all the other fantasy based mmorpg's use 1-100 or higher for stats.

they dont know about notches though..but who cares. as long as they dont roll 20 con when rolling a warrior.

You have de-railed.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:10 pm

thanuk wrote:
Teyaha wrote:you'rekiding right?

You have de-railed.

how do you figure? or do you, too, think that all new players are too stupid to know the difference between bad stats and good stats?
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:16 pm

Teyaha wrote:how do you figure? or do you, too, think that all new players are too stupid to know the difference between bad stats and good stats?

Sesexe didn't know... surely you've heard about her con? I'd swear we all had. And she's not stupid by a long shot, even if she IS blonde.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:20 pm

Teyaha wrote:
how do you figure? or do you, too, think that all new players are too stupid to know the difference between bad stats and good stats?

No, I think that newbies just like everyone else will look at the stats and not know what they really mean. when i rolled my first warrior i got very good strength and i was like ok im cool! Nobody knows what dexterity or agility does or any of that stuff. And they won't care. I also doubt any newbie will roll for more than 5 minutes, because they want to try the game, not play with an autoroller. That doesn'tmean they should get 3 100s and 1 98 in that 5 minutes though.

Look i dont care either way, but if teh autoroller is gonna spit out stats like it does then i want to reroll, cuz i spent an hour and a half getting 94 89 89 94 across my top 4 stats, and thats like the worst roll you can get with the roller now. I think the game would be better off if people couldnt get stats like that, but thats just my opinion. Either way. But having new players get perfect stats while old players get screwed is as dumb as giving the new khanjari proc to all the daggers that were quested for 100p:)

Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Dizzin
Sojourner

Postby Dizzin » Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:35 pm

thanuk wrote: But having new players get perfect stats while old players get screwed is as dumb as giving the new khanjari proc to all the daggers that were quested for 100p:)

I heartily agree with both parts of that statement. For once, Thanuk is dead on.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:58 pm

I'd also like a new computer for free please, because the computers coming out now are MUCH better than what was available when I bought mine a year ago.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:42 pm

Doesn't leaving the roller as-is kind of make +stat eq even more worthless. Especially considering some of the best eq from the early wipe days were +stat?

Not everything was +h/+d or +hps back when we all started this wipe, and even +4dex was awesome for an item when you first start. I don't understand the point of having a roller that churns out near perfect characters.

Reduce the ability to get such high rolls, but keep the switching ability. I think that would go a long way towards not discouraging new players, but also leaving a niche for +stat eq.

T
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:24 pm

Ragorn wrote:I'd also like a new computer for free please, because the computers coming out now are MUCH better than what was available when I bought mine a year ago.

Yeah because computers stayed the same for 9 years and then suddenly got 10 times better in 1 day right ragorn? This might be one of those "only respond if you play" threads dude...

Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:52 pm

This isn't directed at anybody. It's a general observations:

Eq gets hosed for the most part, yet some players pick on individual eq, complaining of utter overpoweredness (Spob). Then they bitch about the hosed eq (anything they're probably wearing).

Autoroller makes for a HUGE help. Now you can roll a decent character, some downright awesome. JUST LIKE YOU CAN IN AD&D. It's just very rare, hence, hours on a roller that you can swap stats. What happens? All someone who's insanely jealous has to do is reroll, and enjoy if they're THAT upset. No. Some want to complain and take away from all others, because they're jealous/envious?

There are a handful of players who not only disagree, but make a point in insulting in doing so. Forums become arenas at that point. For once can't someone (agian in general) just accept a GIFT, rather than complain? Is there no appreciation for a/some god(s) idea to further the enjoyment for players? I mean, heaven forbid having stats nice enough to not smother your eq to compensate for unsavory shortcomings.

Mostly, people tend to want upgrades in some sort on BBS. When an improvement is implemented, SOMEONE has to complain, or offer a downgrade for a specific class, etc., trying to wreck it for others. I wouldn't be so tired of the bickering on BBS, but there's almost no threads where some fool can't shut his hole despite tact.
othelil
Sojourner

Postby othelil » Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:43 pm

Take the roller out and be unable to check stats until level 20.

There's your stat diversity.

*nod me*
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:17 pm

Ashiwi wrote:
Teyaha wrote:how do you figure? or do you, too, think that all new players are too stupid to know the difference between bad stats and good stats?

Sesexe didn't know... surely you've heard about her con? I'd swear we all had. And she's not stupid by a long shot, even if she IS blonde.

Um.... like Thanks?!? I think? ;)

Why Sesexe has crappy CON. When I was rolling her I had the mentality of someone who played some AD&D and figured the same rules applied so I said to myself, "Well mages don't get con bonus hps from a high con plus there is a ton of +con stat eq in the game that mages use, plus they get all their hps from equipment anyways. I'll be fine." I wasn't aware that my con would dictate my dice rolls for hps. I got mostly 1's and 2's and maybe one 3 the whole time I leveled. This is why she has 90hps naked at 50th level. There is one twisted good side to having such crappy con. After a ress I'll be back at max hps before anyone else cuz 52 con comes faster then 90+! (It's not much of a good thing trust me :P). Now when I saw my roll was going to be 52, I said, "Hey that's like having a 10 on a scale of 18 in AD&D stats, that's about average! It's just under the Con bonus roll area and I'll get normal default hps." BUT THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN! As proven by my hps, I got LESS then average hps for a mage. I took a hit. A big one. I still can't understand why this didn't happen instead at arond the 25 con range. I'm at 50%. That's halfway on the scale, yet i'm taking negs. Why?

Why Llaaldara has 60 str. I thought, "Hey I can cast the spell, why do I need a high str?" I didn't realize the spell lasts a whopping 5-10 mins and only increases your str +3 per cast. Having a low str on her has hurt me. I cannot recieve a reduce or I'm immobile. This means I'll spend all combat bashed and usually die because of that. Holding default spellbooks causes my load to notch. Needless to say, I do not zone with her. It was PAINFUL everytime I tried.

I wasn't a noobie when I rolled my mages, I just hadn't played a mage before on HERE.

Are noobies going to be put at a dissadvantage if the stat roller is made so you don't get all these perfects and multiple heroics so easily? Maybe. And maybe it'll do the same to even experienced players like it did me. Since it can affect us all, the segregation towards noobs is invalid.

Caz, I don't know how you roll em, but jesus christ, roll me some stats like that would you? :)

I do aggree that rolling such high stats is wrong. BUT I do like the option of being able to swap stats around. That's good. These excessively easy to get high rolls is just wrong. It's wrong because it makes +stat, not +Max_Stat, eq WORTHLESS.

The end.

mount dragon

Guw
Sojourner

Postby Guw » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:32 pm

My gut feeling is that if you sum all 8 stats and take average, then the average is about the same for the new roller as the old.

The only difference with the new roller is the ability to roll 4 *great* stats, but that same character will still have 4 shitty stats.

And there is a real price to pay for those 4 shitty stats:

When the person with mundane dex tries to open a door in combat they will fail and die haha. They will drop weapons every second round, they will stumble when assisting in combat, their natural hitroll will suck, no possibility of free extra hit per round, I think dex might affect flee chance too.

If it's a cleric type with average int their meditate will suck. If it's a mage type with mundane wis then good luck with learning.

The real benefit i see of the new roller is being able to quickly roll a solid character with maybe 2 mighties + 2 heroic + 2 fair in the right slots, instead of taking a 4 hours to do so.

Vote 1 for "leave it as is"
Marforp
Sojourner

Postby Marforp » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:40 am

For anyone concerened about noobies rolling characters...

Since rolling takes place after race/class selection why not have the better rolls automatically placed on default positions based upon class? The "experts" on the mud could still change stats, but I believe this would really help the new players.

An example...for warriors attributes would be ranked as followed: con, str, agi, dex, int, wis, cha, pow. The highest random stat would be placed in the con field, second highest in str and so on down the line. This would give the new players a significant advantage over the current situation, but have no affect on the more advanced players.

Marforp (a.k.a. Sasdor / Lalokiple)
Stamm
Sojourner

Postby Stamm » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:51 am

I think there already are minimum requirements for each class on the roller.

I.e. you can't create a character with _awful_ stats in his particular class.

It might be the case that the help files aren't quite in agreement, but I'm pretty sure the roller just won't generate bad class stats.

Although I don't know if this stretches to con...
Marforp
Sojourner

Postby Marforp » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:00 am

There are class mins, but they are a joke. Is anyone really happy to have 90 hp at level 50? Maybe my suggestion should be upping the minimums for the attributes SIGNIFICANTLY or prioritizing stats to particular attributes based upon the class being rolled. Either way have a GREAT day!

Marforp (a.k.a. Sasdor / Lalokiple)
Iyachtu
Staff Member - Coder

Postby Iyachtu » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:02 am

Sesexe wrote:Why Llaaldara has 60 str. I thought, "Hey I can cast the spell, why do I need a high str?" I didn't realize the spell lasts a whopping 5-10 mins and only increases your str +3 per cast. Having a low str on her has hurt me. I cannot recieve a reduce or I'm immobile. This means I'll spend all combat bashed and usually die because of that. Holding default spellbooks causes my load to notch. Needless to say, I do not zone with her. It was PAINFUL everytime I tried.

Just a tip: If you have the strength spell, it stacks. It also sets the duration to be the most recent casting. My necro, when I want to, has a 100 strength. Remember you can just have a follower cast it, as well.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:16 am

thanuk wrote:
Ragorn wrote:I'd also like a new computer for free please, because the computers coming out now are MUCH better than what was available when I bought mine a year ago.

Yeah because computers stayed the same for 9 years and then suddenly got 10 times better in 1 day right ragorn? This might be one of those "only respond if you play" threads dude...

The roller has gone through several significant upgrades in the last nine years. At least three, in fact. And the status of the roller 9 years ago has absolutely nothing to do with your stats, since you didn't roll your character 9 years ago on the "bad/fair/good" roller anyway.

I think this is one of those "beg for something that will never happen" threads, myself. And I post for the sole purpose of annoying you anyway, so there you go.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:39 am

Ragorn wrote: And I post for the sole purpose of annoying you anyway, so there you go.

I know you do. But I call your tech support line every day with a fake accent and harass you for 20 minutes, so I guess we're even:)

Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:57 am

Iyachtu wrote:
Sesexe wrote:Why Llaaldara has 60 str. I thought, "Hey I can cast the spell, why do I need a high str?" I didn't realize the spell lasts a whopping 5-10 mins and only increases your str +3 per cast. Having a low str on her has hurt me. I cannot recieve a reduce or I'm immobile. This means I'll spend all combat bashed and usually die because of that. Holding default spellbooks causes my load to notch. Needless to say, I do not zone with her. It was PAINFUL everytime I tried.

Just a tip: If you have the strength spell, it stacks. It also sets the duration to be the most recent casting. My necro, when I want to, has a 100 strength. Remember you can just have a follower cast it, as well.

I know Itchy. Pumping it up fast wasn't so bad when we could have 5 casters (although you'd never zone with 5 shadows). 5x3 = 15pts a pet order. Now we have 3 max, so 9 a cast. Try zoning with a str like mine as your necro. No really try it. I'm sure every leader wants to here you say "Hold on I gotta str myself up again I'm immobile." Or ask you, "Hey why didn't you flee? I said tog wimpy. Flee is safe." - "Uh cuz my str ran out and I was immobile in the room?"

The fact that it stacks is part of the problem. You loose it all of them at the same time. The spell doesn't tick away a little bit at a time allowing you to refresh it as you move along thru a zone. No, you gotta stop and redo the whole thing over again. :(

Even with 3 pets it only takes 1 or 2 or even 3 pet orders to do it, it takes more then that. It sucks up time then and there, and then you have to redo it all over again 5-10 mins later. If you do a 30 min zone. That's stopping 3 times. Think about if you do a 3 hour zone? *cringe*

I don't know why the duration is as short as it is? Could you explain why we couldn't make it last say as long as the fly spell? Or why does it only do +3 per cast? Maybe that could be jacked up?

As for the whole stat rerolling deal. I swear to you right here and now I'd give up both my restrings if I could do one stat swap for Sesexe and Llaaldara. I always got all involved in quests for fun and to hopefully get a stat swap or change.

mount dragon

Iyachtu
Staff Member - Coder

Postby Iyachtu » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:59 am

No, actually, it all goes away at the same time. But if after every mem, or in the case of a necro, eveyr time you stop, you can refresh it. Then it won't run out at all.

And yes, I've used it zoning as a necro. And my necro has like a 60 str (might be 62)

Btw, refresh means casting it ONCE, not a bunch of times.
fotex
Sojourner

Postby fotex » Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:19 am

yeah, listen to iyachtu, he knows what he's doing.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:08 am

hrm.

a lot of good caster players had bad con. so what..you're a caster. con not a primary stat of any caster in any other game. so if you come to this game and play a caster, you most likely wont concentrate on con.

oddly enough it wont matter. my snake has like 60 something con, and i'm missing a buttload of hp slots, but he survives just fine.

however if it is true that with the new roller you can get 100's very easy..well that's too much. what i dont want to ever see is, w hen rolling for a warrior, for the base str/con to ever roll below 80, and the base agi/dex below 70. isnt there some way to make the roller never roll below such primary stats for a particular class while still making a perfect 100 take more luck than it does now?
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:39 am

Iyachtu wrote:

And the spell gives +4str doesn't it? Mebbe I'm smokin somethin...:P
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:50 pm

Thilindel wrote:This isn't directed at anybody. It's a general observations:

Eq gets hosed for the most part, yet some players pick on individual eq, complaining of utter overpoweredness (Spob). Then they bitch about the hosed eq (anything they're probably wearing).

Autoroller makes for a HUGE help. Now you can roll a decent character, some downright awesome. JUST LIKE YOU CAN IN AD&D. It's just very rare, hence, hours on a roller that you can swap stats. What happens? All someone who's insanely jealous has to do is reroll, and enjoy if they're THAT upset. No. Some want to complain and take away from all others, because they're jealous/envious?

There are a handful of players who not only disagree, but make a point in insulting in doing so. Forums become arenas at that point. For once can't someone (agian in general) just accept a GIFT, rather than complain? Is there no appreciation for a/some god(s) idea to further the enjoyment for players? I mean, heaven forbid having stats nice enough to not smother your eq to compensate for unsavory shortcomings.

Mostly, people tend to want upgrades in some sort on BBS. When an improvement is implemented, SOMEONE has to complain, or offer a downgrade for a specific class, etc., trying to wreck it for others. I wouldn't be so tired of the bickering on BBS, but there's almost no threads where some fool can't shut his hole despite tact.

Stop messing up my rational well thought out thread with your illogical ranting.

The new roller is not some divine GIFT as you put it. In my opinion it makes characters one dimensional / flacid. I thought the old roller did the same to be honest and would be completely happy to reroll my stats with a much worse roller in the interest of bettering the overal game. Before you even go down that path however, no I am not going to want lower stats than everyone else in the game. I would like stats overall to be lowered in the interest of diversity. Furthermore, you cannot just quickly reroll a character with the new roller to be on par. For instance Ladak who spent several weeks real time rolling his stats, whos staticstics are now dwarfed in 10 minutes on the roller, also has invested thousands of hours into mastering all his skills.

My main concern however is not the comparison between old and new characters, but that all characters rolled under the new roller are pretty much perfect. It is a far cry from "Now you can roll a decent character", all of my character are very good character indeed already, now unless you havn't played before and choose not to read the help files on stats while rolling you will roll a perfect character. In turn, you will probably choose to wear exactly the same items as all the other boring perfect characters out there making this a boring mud. To use Teyaha's argument in reverse direction, only attracting people who are used to having all perfect stats in other boring flacid games.

I just rolled a character on a few other muds, personally I really liked the ones where you actually had to choose 'now, where will my warrior focus, want him to have great strength and hit stuff, or perhaps dodge a bit better but not be so strong' and other compromises. Rather than 'hrmm well, I wan't to be the perfect superhero, BINGO high rolls and stat swapping.'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:46 pm

Personally I just think that making it so easy to roll superior stats just takes away part of the challenge of the game. It negates the necessity for a lot of the equipment in the game, leaving a big, useless chunk in gameplay and taking away the need to go to a lot of zones for those specific +stat items you need to make your "perfect" set and yet still keep your stats high. It dumbs the game down even farther, and I just don't see how we need that. The roller really did need a little twinking when it came to casters, for some reason they just seemed to get hosed when it came to stats, but anything that has the potential to make a huge portion of the game useless is only taking away from the long-term playability.
Kaede
Sojourner

Postby Kaede » Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:14 pm

I think the current autoroller is good. Stats like the ones generated now were achievable in the past, just took an incredibly long time. I've spent months (no joke!) rolling characters that the current roller can generate in hours. I've always hated the old autoroller for being an utter waste of time and a cause of much mental anguish (why the hell do you keep offering characters with 4 mundanes and 2 bads, you piece of junk?!?). This roller saves a lot of time and frustration and is helpful to everyone, and isn't providing stats that the old one wasn't capable of.

Though it does mean older characters are more likely to be inferior statwise, its just something we'll have to deal with cause I doubt the gods will let everyone who has a dislike of their stats (ie. the whole mud) reroll for each and every one of their alts. Also, as eq stat's changes and new eq is introduced, our priorities in terms of what we would like for stats are bound to change. Some older characters will just have to face retirement as you replace them with the new generation.

Course I may biased cause I roll new characters on a constant basis :p
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:13 am

Was just talking about this thread on GCC.....

Looks like the new roller is here to stay... can I reroll Sarell, Ladak, Krenalazmagg, Amak and Amathiel's stats please so I can be as awesome as others? Even if it just let's me get natural 100 con to fail less resses or something i'd be stoked. I am just blatantly power gaming and want to be the best and it makes me cry like a little kid that other peoples stats are better than mine. Since the new roller has created so many chars so making a even newer roller that spews forth crap stats would be such a big effort, just let old chars reroll there stats, onto a new char, and use the 'set' command to swap em over. Nog self. Give us a month or something to do it in.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:53 am

You sure bitch a lot. So now these 'stats' are ok because you can reroll. Ignorance is abundant! Skill makes the player, not stats!
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:55 am

Gee thanks drache! I appreciate your stupidness to no end, do a search on all my posts and you will find i 'bitch' a lot. You might also find I am one of the oldest players here and leader of a prominent guild and enjoy the game immensely so like to provide as much feedback as I can. If you have a problem with me tell me in the game... actually no don't, I really don't care, just try not to clutter up my feedback posts with your non-constructive crap.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
belleshel..
Sojourner

Postby belleshel.. » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:25 am

Basically with the new roller it makes any +stat equipment much less important. For us older chars we are kinda penalized and still need to work a lot harder for figure out a good kit. If the new roller is in to stay, would be nice if they helped out the older crowd with a week or month or rerolls, I'd certain love it;)
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:44 am

So, Sarell, gratz on being the pretentious, bitching old fart of the mud. Shut your hole and enjoy the game.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:46 am

Shut the fuck up Drache. We'd enjoy the game more if you lost your tongue.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”