Notching of tanking skills

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Notching of tanking skills

Postby Gromikazer » Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:36 am

Recently? Tanking was changed so that the mob checks to see if he misses first before checking defensive skills. I belive this was an exeptional piece of work, and I applaud everyone involved in the process.

I would like to mention that it has become exceedinlgy hard to notch tanking skills unless the mob is pummeling the stuffing out of you. Can there be a discussion in making it easier to notch tanking skills, when the opportunity arises.

I'm not asking for a check to be made on misses, but would like to know the feasibility of raising the chance when a check is called.
Gromikazer Terrorforge - 50th Duergar Warrior
Gamorakul - 49th Duergar Elementalist
Direb - 41st Orc Dire Raider
Gokal - 46th Orc Shaman
Lipopple - 40th Gnome Illusionist
Talkryn - 41st Human Anti-Paladin

Games dont make people violent, lag does.
Iyachtu
Staff Member - Coder

Postby Iyachtu » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:58 pm

Sounds like an unintended consequence. I'll take a look at what the chance is set to. No promises. :)
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:57 pm

Can you take a look at the chance for dual wield notch also Itchy? That one is almost impossible.
Stamm
Sojourner

Postby Stamm » Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:36 pm

I'm not so sure about it... Stamm leveled primarily after changes... and his tank skills kept up with his level. When he reached 50 he wasn't that far behind on anything. Dodge was the only thing I remember being behind.
Rescue on the other hand... it's still not mastered and I do a _lot_ of rescues :)
Karae
Sojourner

Postby Karae » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:24 am

I have to agree, I have played Karae some before and after changes, with a short break in the middle where the changes took place. And my skills notch regulary just about as much as they seem before, but that might because i get hit alot, but i don't think i do. Most of my defensive skills, witch are the ones that inovle tanking, Parry, Mounted Combat, Defense, and Dodge have notched pretty good, and have kept up. Although my dodge sucks, but everythign is mastered.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:40 pm

This was nearly a year ago now actually. :)

The chances to notch all of the defensive skills were raised to compensate for this change back then. Of course, it is still much harder to notch your skills on mobs that can't hit you. The success rate should be equal to or greater than that of old when fighting mobs of a reasonable level that require use of your defensive skills though..
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:48 pm

Welp, I just spent just about 3 hours, tanking for a group for exp. My anti is 38th level now (I gained one level) and in that process I notched my rescue 4-5 times, notched my bash once, notched my 1h slashing 5 times, and notched defense once, and mounted combat once. My skills are extremely sub-par (my mounted combat is 45 instead of the max of 75). During this 3 hours I never once tanked a mob that was lower level then me, and a large majority of the time the mobs either conned "You ARE mad!", or "It would be easier to lie down and pretend you were dead."

Explain to me, while mobs beating the crizap out of me, barely notched my tanking skills please. It's either I fight mobs that kill me literally, and almost never notch my skills, or I fight mobs that can't hit me and I never notch my skills. We need to find some kind of happy middle ground, because its driving me insane.

Maybe make mounted combat be able to notch offa charges like it used to be? I don't know, what the best choice is.

Gokal - 46th Orc Shaman

Karae
Sojourner

Postby Karae » Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:49 pm

Gromikazer, are you allways mounted? I fight everything mounted unless I get dismounted and mines at max, I mainly do ship as every paladin does. So maybe your charater is just wierd, I dunno. But i haven't had a problem notching skills at all.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:47 pm

Last edited by Sesexe on Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:14 am

You could get more practice if you overwork the scaler/stoner.
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:15 am

Yes, I was on the mount 90%+ of the time.

I wasn't notching my parry or dodge either though. It wasn't just a problem with mounted combat.

Gokal - 46th Orc Shaman

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”