why do necros get so much command lag?

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Teyaha
Sojourner

why do necros get so much command lag?

Postby Teyaha » Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:18 am

this happens far too often. is there a reason (gods) that necros have lag when they order their pets to do things...

this hurts the xp something awful especially with the games lack of ressing clerics.

< 370h/424H 382p/382P 130v/133V >
< > order follower kill giant
Ok.
A forest giant dodges the spectre of an overgrown fern's attack.

< 370h/424H 382p/382P 130v/133V >
< >
The spectre of an overgrown fern barely drains a forest giant.
A forest giant smashes the spectre of an overgrown fern.
A forest giant smashes the spectre of an overgrown fern.
A forest giant switches targets..

< 370h/424H 382p/382P 131v/133V >
< > s

Sungu OOC: 'why does john mayer sing like that?'

< 371h/424H 382p/382P 132v/133V >
< > A mighty smash from a forest giant makes you contemplate a new career!
OUCH! That really did HURT!
A forest giant smashes your throat, gasping and choking, you descend into darkness.
With a final blow, you feel yourself falling to the ground.
Your soul leaves your body in the cold sleep of death...
The world starts spinning, and your ears are ringing!
Invisible things vanish again.
You disband the group.

*** Welcome to Toril ***

0) Leave Toril for a Time.
1) Enter the realms of Toril.
2) See who is currently playing.
3) Read the background story.
4) Change your password.
5) Enter your character description.
6) Delete this character.

Make your choice: Wrong option.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:56 am

8)

You also get a round+ of lag from ordering them to rescue, kick, hitall, and bash.
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:57 am

Don't you get a round of lag for pretty much all commands?
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:13 am

I don't see how it hurts exp at all, as exp is so much easier now with pets not ganking exp for kills. And yeah, you've always had lag from commanding pets. Get used to it? :P
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:27 am

It isn't just necros, but I definately think it is a good thing.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:11 pm

8)

Yes, you do have lag for all the commands you give pets, but some commands give lots of lag, and other commands give very little lag. For instance- commanding a pet that's not doing anything to cast a spell yields very little lag at all. Commanding a pet that's busy to cast a spell often lags you for a round. Commanding a pet to move in a direction lags you very little.

The point is, that certain commands lag you for over a round and other commands lag you for like 1 second. Lagging for 1 second isn't a problem, but why should you be lagged for an entire round because you told your pet ghast to bash the mob it's fighting?
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:34 pm

With the benefits of pets,a little lag is nothing ... if you know the mob is a switcher, plan accordingly ... with pets Necros, Shaman, and Elementalists can solo things that many other classes cannot ...

Ever try to tell your PC basher to do something?? often they lag too :P

As far as there being different lag for different times, I don't have casting pets yet, so will have to evaluate further ...
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:30 pm

Ambar wrote:With the benefits of pets,a little lag is nothing ... if you know the mob is a switcher, plan accordingly ... with pets Necros, Shaman, and Elementalists can solo things that many other classes cannot ...

Ever try to tell your PC basher to do something?? often they lag too :P

As far as there being different lag for different times, I don't have casting pets yet, so will have to evaluate further ...

being a snake, and missing 5 slots, means i dont have jack shit for hp.

so how do you plan accordingly? flee the minute you see switch.

the lag after sending a pet to kill something can be up to two rounds sometimes. it's inconsistent. and if you send a pet at the wrong time for the games internal tick timer, the round is immediately after and the mob basically switches immediately.

which means your ass is dead.

now if iw as a ghey elf and had an easy walk to places i guess i wouldnt care, but as a snake...well i dont. i had to get a revive since there were no ressing clerics available for over two hours, and unlike so many of you i cant be on 24/7 waiting for a ress.

anything that makes the game a nuisance for the casual player will make that casual player just not want to play. if you want more players in the mud, you will need to cater to the casual player.

and you can pwb your switchers....i cannot. i have no defense against switchers that the other soloing classes do except to ...what? oh yea leave the room. if i cant leave the room because of that lag well i'm fucked.
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:40 pm

It's seemed to me that necro command lag is roughly equivalent to how long it would take you to perform the command yourself. It's most evident between ordering to search and ordering to say, cast a spell. Cast a spell has a very short lag associated, search much longer.

Unfortunately I can't speak as to the reason for this, but my own observation from playing a necro for around 25 pdays I'm pretty confident in how it works. I'd recommend you make sure you're at full hitpoints before starting stuff like that; there's no shortage of little crap just outside DS to vamp touch if you need to pick up some extra hps.
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:08 pm

Yeah, you need more hitpoints (that's me being helpful).

Lag was always there and I think it's much easier to xp now than it ever was before. I'm not sure what purpose it serves, but I think it's just the price we pay for being able to kill stuff like that by ourselves.

As for what should you do (like flee out right when you see the switch). I suggest you flee out right when you see the switch. Not the style I use, but it helps from time to time. Yeah, you burn spells. Yeah, you take a round here and there. Yeah, it's annoying, but it's just kinda the necro thing to do.

After a while it gets to be second nature. Your fingers start moving where you've trained them to go (who has read the gunslinger series?) and you pull off neat little 13-14 hour xp sessions with no problems of death or punishment.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:35 pm

hmm i can be nasty and say others do it why can't you??

on the flip side most people know i have an evil resser and am always willing to ress people ....

and um .. well you chose the snake ... another hardship ... you could have picked drow *stare*

take the advice of others .... boost yourself before you fight ....
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:53 pm

once again teyaha, others can do it and so can you if you tried hard enough. refine your tactics instead of going straight to the board.

if you want a taste of what you can do, i only got hit once as a lvl 50 lich doing DS exp for 3 hours
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:48 pm

Mitharx wrote:Yeah, you need more hitpoints (that's me being helpful).

Lag was always there and I think it's much easier to xp now than it ever was before. I'm not sure what purpose it serves, but I think it's just the price we pay for being able to kill stuff like that by ourselves.

As for what should you do (like flee out right when you see the switch). I suggest you flee out right when you see the switch. Not the style I use, but it helps from time to time. Yeah, you burn spells. Yeah, you take a round here and there. Yeah, it's annoying, but it's just kinda the necro thing to do.

After a while it gets to be second nature. Your fingers start moving where you've trained them to go (who has read the gunslinger series?) and you pull off neat little 13-14 hour xp sessions with no problems of death or punishment.

i did flee out right when i saw the switch..actually i tried to go south.

if this was a first time deal i wouldnt care. but it's getting bad lately. maybe it's due to compression? i've seen other thread talking about random lag at times that's longer t han expected.

you werent on last night aerisia. i looked for you first. if i was drow i wouldnt be able to xp in ds cause it's...duh...blind to me half the game day.

and dalar, you are the exception, not the rule.

i'm not asking it to be removed, i'm asking for it to be more consistent than it is right now.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:30 pm

Ambar wrote:Ever try to tell your PC basher to do something?? often they lag too :P

The issue is not with the basher lagging, but the person doing the commanding. It's equivalent to adding 2 rounds of lag on the leader for telling the group to bash a certain mob.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:46 pm

I often go hunting for paladin groups and solo them as my lich. I don't know of any other class that can do this or does this. It gets messy most of the time, and sometimes have to do runs, and 50/50 chance I die doing this.

But while doing this I noticed something I hadn't noticed before. A reason for command lag. If I had no command lag on telling my ghasts who to bash, instead of taking a few rounds to get them all attacking/bashing the right targets, I could easily spam bash to multiple targets each time, greatly increasing the effectiveness of taking all these targets at the same time.

Solo-ability doesn't define a class. I'm not talking about that.

If necromancers and lichs had less pets, say one, like shamans and elementalists, I could see removing the command lag. It would make perfect sense then, but not with the multiple amounts of pets we can have now. It would be cheezy.

I like my 5 ghasts. I'll keep them and the lag that goes with them.

A Thought:
Perhaps a system could be rigged where the less pets you have the less command lag you suffer from?
Alomlim
Sojourner

Postby Alomlim » Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:20 pm

I can only speak for shaman pets, but removing or decreasing shaman pet command lag would be a step towards NPC pets, where we don't want to go.

Spirits already whip the pants off of many PC tanks at the acutal tanking/rescuing job, even with the pansy spellup I can give them, even with just the laggy commands I issue them between spells. Their main drawback is simply that the more they're being ordered, the less the shaman does anything else.

It's a reasonably balanced tradeoff.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:41 pm

it hasnt happened to me again since i turned off MCP (compression)

i thought compression was supposed to speed things up?
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:24 pm

Alomlim wrote:I can only speak for shaman pets, but removing or decreasing shaman pet command lag would be a step towards NPC pets, where we don't want to go.

Are you suggesting PC pets?
Cordan
Sojourner

Postby Cordan » Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:50 pm

Invis would have saved ya there....
Alomlim
Sojourner

Postby Alomlim » Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:51 pm

Are you suggesting PC pets?

Absolutely! What fun that would be...

order yayaril tog RP
#10 order yayaril spank yayaril
order yayaril tieup yayaril
order yayaril turnin yayaril
order yayaril tog RP

8)
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:31 pm

Cordan wrote:Invis would have saved ya there....

um...no? everything except ferns in ds sees invis.
Cordan
Sojourner

Postby Cordan » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:01 pm

My apologies, no need to get fiesty.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:22 pm

You sure the mud just didn't eat your command? It eats my commands all the time, like i never typed them at all. I get the same 1 round lag when I order my pets as an elementalist tho, and I have died on those instaswitches as well. It happens.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:03 pm

Yayaril wrote:
Ambar wrote:Ever try to tell your PC basher to do something?? often they lag too :P

The issue is not with the basher lagging, but the person doing the commanding. It's equivalent to adding 2 rounds of lag on the leader for telling the group to bash a certain mob.

it was a joke tho :( *sniff*

I play two pet summoners (shaman and elementalist) and get switched to all the time .. oftentimes i stack the commands as :

order follower kick whatever;flee

sure I am a grey elf doing this with my uber agility and innate sneak, but it does work most of the time even as my Ogre ..

In my own opinion, any lag we get when issuing pet commands is a small price to pay for what we get ... super solo-ability
Ssryth
Sojourner

Postby Ssryth » Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:46 am

Ambar wrote:
Yayaril wrote:

it was a joke tho :( *sniff*

I play two pet summoners (shaman and elementalist) and get switched to all the time .. oftentimes i stack the commands as :

order follower kick whatever;flee

sure I am a grey elf doing this with my uber agility and innate sneak, but it does work most of the time even as my Ogre ..

In my own opinion, any lag we get when issuing pet commands is a small price to pay for what we get ... super solo-ability

couldn't decide if I should respond ;) but Ambar has already hinted ... order your spectres to kick, and not kill.

and Sesexe.. there's no need to die when killing those silly paladin groups ;) ... ever!

Ssryth.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”