Listen

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Birile
Sojourner

Listen

Postby Birile » Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:16 am

Hi. Yeah. So 500 attempts to notch Listen and, um, not one notch. What's the deal? It was easier to notch Sneak and Hide, to be frank. I've spoken to several other bards and no one recalls notching this skill even ONCE except for one guy who thinks maybe he notched it once or twice. Frankly, neither do I, and this isn't the first time I've tried to notch it.

I'm sure this is just a clever ploy to disallow bards to get ANY non-song tailored skill to 99 (other than Lore and the 1h weapon masteries). I smell a conspiracy! :twisted: Can someone look into this? For the records, my Listen skill stands at 54. I would assume since it's a bard only skill that I can max this to 99.

Thanks!
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:31 pm

I'll piggyback on Birile's thread and note that It's that time of year again (yes, it's been over a year since I originally brought this up, closer to two years now) that shadow never notches.

Thanks,
Nokie
Alomlim
Sojourner

Postby Alomlim » Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:14 am

I was able to notch this skill 3x (to 57) after a hundred attempts. Nothing broken on the battlechanter side I don't think.

Listen seems to be one of the most unimpressive skills of any class though, so I'm not itching to max it.
gimaki
Sojourner

Postby gimaki » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:53 pm

Surprise never has notched once. Course it doesn't do anything so not a biggie.
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:07 pm

Another very very hard thing to notch now is dodge for clerics.

I wouldn't call it broken, just want to say that the melee changes that was introduced mabye last summer or so have made it insane hard to really practice this skill for clerics.

/Disoputlip
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:46 pm

Still haven't been able to notch Listen, though I believe Alomlim when he says he was able to.

I know awhile back one of the Imms posted something in the news (may have been back in Sojourn 3) that some of the bard rogue skills had mistakenly been coded to be insanely difficult to notch and that it should have been fixed. Don't know if maybe this is one of those skills that fell into that category (though it's a bard/battlechanter-only skill, not rogue). Is it possible that there are still some skills that weren't fixed to notch properly? Is there any way to check that?
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:59 pm

What does listen do btw? Kinda clueless overhere.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:15 pm

Listen can tell you if there are mobs in nearby rooms. It's 99% useless for a bard who has infravision, senselife, farsee, etc. *shrug* As someone mentioned earlier, it's not exactly in the pantheon of ultra amazing skills but it's one of, um, two (?) skills that a bard has that 1) doesn't relate to singing and 2) no other class in the game has (the other skill being Lore--a highly useful skill that is still pwned by an Enchanter's Identify). Preferably I would like to see a skill that is a little more useful, but if I'm stuck with a skill I wanna be able to notch it effectively (over 1000 attempts this week, no notch) since I'm one of those people who likes having all of his skills maxed. :!:
Gurns
Sojourner

Re: Listen

Postby Gurns » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:33 pm

Birile wrote:my Listen skill stands at 54. I would assume since it's a bard only skill that I can max this to 99.

I wouldn't assume that. Aren't there mounted combat skills that don't get past 70 for anyone? Just because a class is the only class that knows how to do something doesn't mean that folks in the class will ever be able to do it perfectly.

On the other hand, every skill I've heard of maxes at a 5 or a 10 if it doesn't max at 99. So you'd think listen would go to 55 or 60, anyway.
Treladian
Sojourner

Re: Listen

Postby Treladian » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:08 am

Gurns wrote:I wouldn't assume that. Aren't there mounted combat skills that don't get past 70 for anyone? Just because a class is the only class that knows how to do something doesn't mean that folks in the class will ever be able to do it perfectly.

Uh, last I checked the only skill related to mounted combat was mounted combat and that definately goes above 70 seeing how you need 75 or so in it to wield a two handed weapon without falling off your horse.

While not all unique or semi-unique skills go all the way to 99, they do tend to wind up above 90.
Alomlim
Sojourner

Postby Alomlim » Mon May 03, 2004 5:33 pm

listen (very good) (80)

Okay I think that's maxxed.

Contrary to all my hopes and dreams, at 80 it doesn't let you listen to anyone in the game.

moan, listen (81), nevermind me
Alomlim
Sojourner

Postby Alomlim » Fri May 14, 2004 4:32 am

Testing posting mostly. On computers where I'm auto-logged in, I think it will work. On ones where I'd need to log in, I think I'm hosed at the moment. There's still a "dyndns.org" link in the login page somewhere.

You'll be pleased to note that Vhagar's listen is now at 89.

The last three notches have each taken a completely absurd 3000 attempts. That's probably not fair to the rest of the world who doesn't mud from work.

After all, this is listen we're talking about here.
fotex
Sojourner

Postby fotex » Fri May 14, 2004 8:58 pm

listen maxes out at 25 for male humans :(

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”