A Mentor (Serious)

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

A Mentor (Serious)

Postby Llaaldara » Tue May 04, 2004 6:40 pm

Please don't Hijack this thread.
Please don't be an ass, be serious.
Please don't start a flame war.
Please just answer the questions as best you can without trying to incite or attack anyone.
Please stay on topic.
I appreciate your thought out opinions and input.
Thanks.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

In the MUD environment, what does being a Mentor to someone mean to you? What does a mentor do? How do they act? How do they help? What do they do exactly?
Areandon
Sojourner

Postby Areandon » Tue May 04, 2004 8:04 pm

A mentor in my opinion is someone who teaches you the ropes. Someone who understand you are a noob and don't know who to play you class, but takes you along anyway so you can learn.

Like Moritheil, who has taken countless noobs with him on zones. Hence the famous Mori-spanks, but he has taken half the noobs i know on their first zones.

A good mentor should be someone who realizes you will make mistakes, who will not chastise you for them, but instead help you avoid them.
A good mentor is also someone who you can learn from, someone who knows a lot about the workings of the game, and are willing to share this with you.
Lirela
Sojourner

Postby Lirela » Tue May 04, 2004 10:37 pm

A good mentor is someone who helps you learn to be self-sufficient. (That whole “teach a man to fish” proverb..)

Someone who will teach you how to get to a place by following you there and giving directions, rather than leading you there and expecting you to learn the way when the text is flying by at 100mph.

Someone who gives you advice when you ask for it, lets you learn from your own mistakes, someone who is patient with questions about things that come second-nature to them.

Someone who shows you where the eq is for your level but doesn’t get it for you.

Someone who shows you how to find groups or maybe introduces you to a few people, and who gives you names of people who will answer your questions when you’re not around.

Someone who makes a newbie feel welcome, and like there’s hope of them making it to level 50 when there’s so many others who know more about the game than they do.
Imis9
Sojourner

Postby Imis9 » Tue May 04, 2004 10:47 pm

I think their are two types of mentors. The ones that are friends to you and the ones that just beat the heck out of you.

I had many great folks that taught me how to cleric like Murni and Furgus. They really took the time to teach me and develop my skills. On the other hand, folks that are tough on you can inspire you to do better. My best example is Mikayla. We're close now, but as many old folks can remember, Mikayla could be tough on folks. This was good though, it made me learn and perform better.

A mentor helps you, but that person even helps you more when they let you know when you screw up. In addition, as you grow as a player, a mentor does not become jealous of your advancement but shares your happiness in growing.

Imis

"People can cry much easier than they can change."
-- James Baldwin
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Wed May 05, 2004 3:45 pm

Imis9 wrote:I think their are two types of mentors. The ones that are friends to you and the ones that just beat the heck out of you.

In addition, as you grow as a player, a mentor does not become jealous of your advancement but shares your happiness in growing.

Imis

"People can cry much easier than they can change."
-- James Baldwin

I definitely had the beat the heck out of you mentor but I'll never forget the tell I got from him when I led my first zone. * tells you 'so proud'
I think that made it all worth it for me.
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.
Teba tells you 'let me do my job you volo twinker!'
Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”