Camp/Idle Renting

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Camp/Idle Renting

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:32 am

06/05/04 [Shar] Camp/Idle Renting
- Certain zones have been given a new !camp feature. If you camp or void within
these zones, you will be deposited into a safe holding room where you can group
read boards, and chat, but you will be unable to leave that room until you have
spoken with an Administrator. This isnt a "punishment", this is a feature to
aid both the players and the admins in dealing with Deaths/Camping within zones
that should not allow it. Muspelheim and Jotunheim are an example of the types
of zones included.

I just wanted to state that although I agree with the foundation of this rule, I doubt it’s going to make much of a change on when I need to go LD. I’m sure I’ll become very familiar with your not-for-punishment time-in-the-corner room soon enough, because of my mudding situation. As most people know, I only mud from work, and do not keep a connection at home anymore. I’ve been torn on getting a connection at home again, but keep putting it off, as mudding is such a huge distraction for me. When I’m at work, I have to be able to go away from my window without notice, and have found myself disconnected when I come back more times than I can count.

I would love to continue mudding within my limited capability, but don’t see much point to spending hours and maybe even days at a time locked in a cell because an Admin with the ability to let me out just isn’t around. I also have no desire to be scolded like a child each time I have to deal with a greater priority than the MUD with little to no notice. It’s been fairly rare that I’ve been caught inside a zone due to pre-announced reboot or LD, but it has happened in the past due to circumstances and will surely happen again in the future.

I applaud the institution of measures to help with the zone camping issue, but since this new rule could have a profound effect on my mudding, could I request a few clarifications, please? Will all Admins have the ability to release a caged PC, or will there be restrictions as to which Admins can access the command? Will there be any other method of getting out if the Admin is terminally AFK or absent, or in the event that the Admin doesn’t have the command? Once the PC is released from the cage, where will they be transported to? At what point will it become the difference between simply going LD due to necessity in a zone and abusing the system to get out of a zone when no other method is readily available? How quickly after we go LD will we be transported to the cage? Will we be transported as soon as we lose link, or will there be a waiting period in case we’ve experienced a situation such as a power outage? If we come back from LD within the same boot will we be put back into the zone we LD’d from, or will it become futile for those of us in my situation to make an attempt to explore larger zones that might see us LD several times during the attempt?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions as I become more familiar with the system, but that’s a start. While I have worries about my abilities to retain what limited level of activity I have in the game under this system, I certainly see a need for it, and have for some time. I’d just like to see zones like Musp on the rare occasion that I get up there, and if I’m going to be “not-punished” for it every time I have to go LD, then the cage may end up taking up more of my limited free time than the effort would be worth.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:39 am

Oh, and what about the overseas players? I don't know if we've had active Admins nightly lately, but I do remember a period when finding a staff member on during the wee hours was sometimes dependant on a miracle.

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Dezzex
Sojourner

Postby Dezzex » Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:23 pm

Agree. Making something like this require the presence of an administrator to be resolved is no fun for anybody. Like Ashiwi, I'm sure the majority of people caged won't have intentionally committed any offense.

Getting out of busted zones or having to ask for mobs consent takes long enough as it is. If you're so keen to actually crack down on it, mail yourself a big fat log everyday that you can't ignore. It'll probably be more efficient than asking everybody in a cage 'were you doing naughty things?'

Somebody also wanna let me know if camping in one of these cageable zones actually sends you a notice of what you're doing before you finish? It should if it doesn't, I haven't tested.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:21 am

Maybe there should be a command for when no admin is on you can be sent back to where you were, similar to leaving the arena, but with a longer delay I suppose.
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:33 pm

But if it sends you back to where you were they can still twink the zone/item. How about sending them back to their hometown. Of course this will be abused too.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:52 pm

good point ashwi.

why dont you guys just send them back to their death point, log it, check the player logs for abuse, then smite accordingly?
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:14 pm

An idea:

Would it be possible to develop a system that remembers the last 3 places one enters the game and if it is in the same eq-type zone, autosend a mudmail warning that if they camp there again in the next rl month, they'll be caged? In addition, simply make eq zones !camp.

A solution like this would probably discourage people from camping and you'd have a lot less 'false positive' cases in the cage to deal with manually.
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:26 pm

K to tackle this issue, *any* administrator (and immorts from other spheres who aren't still considered new [they know who they are, and if you don't, you can't]) can let a player out of this area. It will be a very simple process. There won't be accusation (without reason) and there won't be punishment (without reason) simply because you are inside this room.

With this room being such a new feature, it will more than likely be changed a few times, as most new features here are, to be exactly what is needed for both the mortals and the immortals.

Right now, a proc is being coded that will allow the player to teleport to their hometown guild should they be in the room for a certain length of time yet to be determined. Earlier, we had considered this possibility but did not implement it before putting in the new feature. It will be ready soon.

To try to quell an inuendo, this truly is not about punishment. The immediate assumption that this is about punishment when it has been announced that it isn't, is a bit insulting to all the staff who had the privelege of implementing this feature. It was meant to help, in all ways. If you find yourself in "the waiting room", as it is called, you won't be dealt with harshly unless you were 1. breaking rule(s) or 2. attacking the staff member(s) trying to assist you.

Plain and simple, this room is here to help the player, not catch a cheater. If it does both, we'll consider it a bonus.

To address another question, making all eq zones !camp/void could be bad. Imagine all the places you go (at various different levels) to get eq. Virtually that would leave only some roads between areas open for camp/void. Even some of those have rares/quests/eq/etc. The way we have it now is changeable. We'll re-evaluate the need after it has been in play for a while.

Thanks for the concerns :)
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Dezzex
Sojourner

Postby Dezzex » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:33 pm

Sounds reasonable, thanks Shar. I agree that making things !camp is probably not the solution we're looking for. I like camping in all manner of odd places, not for eq or any reason.. just for the adventure feel heh. Even after all this time.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:29 pm

Thank you for responding Shar. I would like to assure you that no insult was intended by my post... in fact, I even had a staff member read my post over for potentially incendiary comments, since I wanted to be sure I was addressing the concerns instead of stepping on toes and it seems like no matter what you say on the BBS anymore, somebody always manages to take it out of context and take offense. If the staff was insulted by any innuendo, then you have my most sincere assurances that it was unintentional.

Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:34 am

what kind of timeframe are we talking about for the tele to come into effect? can we still have a sitter? i recall and illusionist sitting hidden in aroom for 2 hours keeping zone from popping while group formed to CR, will this still work?

Also, im not sure if it is related, but when the code went in, some rooms you cant rest in? including every room in the spirit world which means you cant mem, bug?
Mielikki
Staff Member - Coder

Postby Mielikki » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:43 pm

The code has nothing to do with chilling in zones to hold pop, etc. It only deals with players who idle out or camp is a few very popular to camp/void zones. The code was writen to help the admins get players out of these zones, or for the cases when an admin is not around or unavailable to see this happening. If you lose link and come back a few minutes later no worries, it will leave you where you where.

As long as you don't camp in the illegal places you won't ever even know its there....and nope it doesn't touch any other code, so im not sure what your refering to about not being able to mem in the spirit plane, but I'll check it out.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”