History of the Mud

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Grizz
Sojourner

History of the Mud

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:57 am

I was curious if anyone could put a nice timeline together of the big events that happened in this muds history. Things like the "Dream" or when an age ended or when special code was added that made a major difference in the mud. First time Tiamat fell for goodies and evils. Now I am old but I have been gone a long time also I wasn't here for the beginning.
Mogan: Paladin, Human(Active)

In the immortal words of Tagad, "F**K IT! CHARGE!"
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:55 am

read NEWS. previous to that, little really matters. if you weren't here for the "dream" of what significance is its exsistance? putting together a timeline of the "major" events would both be argumentative as to what major is, and also would be quite time consuming.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:57 am

I can understand why he'd want one, though. I've listened to other people talk about this wipe or that wipe, and I'm not sure which one goes where or who was around for it, or when that zone ceased to exist. It gets confusing.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Grizz
Sojourner

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:46 am

Delmair Aamoren wrote:read NEWS. previous to that, little really matters. if you weren't here for the "dream" of what significance is its exsistance? putting together a timeline of the "major" events would both be argumentative as to what major is, and also would be quite time consuming.

I disagree with you. There is nothing wrong with knowing your past. Maybe it is something that only appeals to a few people but it is something that has meaning. For you to disregard all the efforts of the past it is really a slap in the face of those who worked so hard to make this game worth playing today.

Ihazim
Sojourner

Postby Ihazim » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:21 am

delmair likes to say everything sucks and whats the point, he's like eeyore
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:19 pm

Erm, I think Sojourn split into Duris and Toril sometime around 1993. I started playing just after that in 1994 I think. I remember nobody was allowed to mention Duris while logged on unless you wanted to risk getting caged or deleted by Mystra. Boy, those were the days. It's all so vague :p
Cordan
Sojourner

Postby Cordan » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:23 pm

I had thought that the Duris/Toril split was after I started playing in fall of 1995.
Cordan
Sojourner

Postby Cordan » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:25 pm

Yeah, if you check the date on Duris on the mud list, it opened November of 1995. Yeah, that's right, because I remember now that all that went down right as I got my first char to like level 15.
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:29 pm

I wish I could remember my mudding past. Like when I started, what chars I had etc. If it weren't for the zmud files, I would have forgotten everything after my 6 months of wandering about looking for toril. I don't remember how I lost it in the first place.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:41 pm

Nifty idea. I think nokie had a real old news log. if we can compile some of those we can probably put something together.

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:10 pm

Great idea.
A history of sojourn/toril mud would be damn good to have on the torilmud website. including all the mud names from that very first one miax called it years ago (can't remeber), with all the mud addresses, and the timeline.
BEER
Sesexe
Sojourner

Re: History of the Mud

Postby Sesexe » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:42 am

Grizz wrote:I was curious if anyone could put a nice timeline together of the big events that happened in this muds history. Things like the "Dream" or when an age ended or when special code was added that made a major difference in the mud. First time Tiamat fell for goodies and evils. Now I am old but I have been gone a long time also I wasn't here for the beginning.

I remember making a timeline at one point. I just forgot about this thread when I got home late last night. I got most of my info from Shevy when I did it. I'll try and remember when I go home today.

EDIT: Sorry, couldn't find it. I must have written it down on actual paper instead of a word document at the time. Since I just moved, it could be anywhere. :(
Last edited by Sesexe on Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:43 am

Grizz wrote: For you to disregard all the efforts of the past it is really a slap in the face of those who worked so hard to make this game worth playing today.

Been here for all of it. Never said it wasn't important to those who were there for it. It is just not information that would/should impact the lives of those new to playing. The fact the mud split once about 8 years ago, and now again within the last year is inconcequential to those who started in the last year. Does the fact that 8 years ago the mud split into toril and duris impact how you play on toril 2 now? no, probbably not. The only "effect" i can see on the splits is that some people no longer play.

As for having a timeline on the mud webpage, i am thinking this wouldn't really be a positive thing for advertising. Numerous splits, countless changes in the immortal staff, direction changes left to right, right to left, i think would instill some unrest within the new players. too political.

And for the record everything doesn't suck. Just things that aren't as important as myself. But thanks for the concern.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:35 pm

Your wrong Delmair..

The history of this mud is one of its strongest points. What made me really get into mudding were the stories from the more experienced mudders of all the crazy events that had happened in the past. The mage that disintegrated doombringer. The first infamous roots spank (as opposed to the second one that most of us are more familiar with). In fact roots is a good example. It wasn't done at all for the first few years I mudded here. When it was finally done for the first time in several years, it was the historical context that made it all the more exciting. And this mud would be a lot less rich without stories of Shabay's legendary incompetence or Kurz's larger than life presence in a group. In fact, I could imagine using our history as a selling point for the mud if the gods ever decided to try and bring it back to its former glory...

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:44 pm

Truth be told, i'm sure every mud has stories like that. What makes you want to do something different comes from within you, not from the story imho. That is exactly what those are tho, stories of this and that. Stories of people who don't and probbably will never play again. People need to come here and make their own stories. A timeline of stories would be rather... silly. and i doubt anyone would get it 100% correct.

I think of those stories as a couple of old college buddies sitting around 10 years later laughing it up, half drunk, getting half the facts right, not because they are trying to make the story sound better, but because they don't remember it exactly right anymore.

Furthermore, doombringer no longer exists, nor has it existed. The relevance of doombringer to a new player to the mud would be Nil. The only thing a timeline would be for really would be the nostalgia of the people who don't really play anymore. (few exceptions, but not many). Ultimately, people need to make their own history. Sure, write your stories, your RP, whatever here, but leave the past happenings of what are truly other muds now, behind as memories.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:49 am

naw history is what makes it fun

the great roots spank is ... history :)

when we bring up the hiostory, us old folks that were around can sit back and smile about it ... and think ... my god how much fun those times were :)

i rememebr the shock when everything was dessimated during the *dream*, was it? when everything was burned to a crisp???

a timeline would be fun imho :)

Del stop being so negative :) just cause you dont see the benefit .. others do :)
Grizz
Sojourner

Postby Grizz » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:28 am

The History is no supposed to be aimed directly at new people so much as it is for all of us. Those of us who have played, still play, and will play in the future.

I can understand your analogy of the drunk college guys reliving glory days. What's wrong with that? If it serves no purpose in your eyes you don't have to be part of it. Corth mentioned Shabay and Kurz, probably the most extreme ends of the spectrum as far as this game goes. Those names are famous in the game even if people didn't play while they were active. Other names should be mentioned as well like Tien or Zothmo.

We have erected statues for those of our community who have died in RL. All I am talking about is a simple timeline. But now I am thinking we could add so much more. The Chronicals of Toril: A Mudding Tale.

Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:18 pm

Due to my effort to log everything I should have a complete NEWS list from the start of the mud when it re-openned the last time a couple (few?) years ago.

It would take some fancy greps and a lot of editing, but could be done if someone was truly interested in it.
Dezzex
Sojourner

Postby Dezzex » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:34 pm

I would!
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:05 am

I think Delmair is just mad because he's not mentioned anywhere in the history of Sojourn. Or Delmair could be Savorina in hiding. *ponder*
Alomlim
Sojourner

Postby Alomlim » Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:13 am

Shhh, if you mention D's name his autopost trigs will fire again.
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:00 pm

For anyone interested in delving into the history of the mud, you can see some of it at
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.sojourn.org
and
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.toril.org

There are limits: The most annoying is that it only archives about four levels deep (which loses a lot of pages for some periods). But there is some info there, and it may jog a memory or two.
Imis9
Sojourner

Postby Imis9 » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:35 pm

Another cool thing would be a list of dates that each zone came in on. For example, Jot came in late 95 I believe.
Imis9
Sojourner

Postby Imis9 » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:35 pm

Another cool thing would be to include a list of dates for zones when they came in. A good example would be Jot which I believe was late 95.
Imis9
Sojourner

Postby Imis9 » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:36 pm

Another cool thing would be a list of dates in which zones came in. Like Jot was late 95.
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:13 pm

Here's a quickie outline from memory with many vagaries and certainly some inaccuracies:

Around New Years 1995 - Sojourn MUD opens for Beta
Sept 1995 - I started playing ;)

March 20, 1996. Sojourn splits into two MUDs. Sojourn re-opens as Toril. Duris begins alpha testing shortly thereafter.

Glory days!

Sept 19, 1998 - Toril closes
Sept 30, 1998 - Sojourn 2 alpha opens

Feb 24, 1999 - Mplor created on Sojourn 2 (opening day?)
Winter 1999/2000 - Sojourn 2 closes.

Feb 21, 2000 - Brugg creates Sojourn Orphan Society (SOS2) egroup
August 2000 - Rumors that Sojourn will reopen confirmed by Kris Kortright on SOS2.

May 5, 2001 - Sojourn3 Beta Opens

Oct 1, 2003 - Soj3 changes ownership, renamed to Toril.
Last edited by Mplor on Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:17 pm

Test.
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:34 pm

nt, post problems
Last edited by Mplor on Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
Sojourner

Postby Grizz » Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:39 pm

The 1998 shut down was blamed on me btw. I was privy to certain aspects of the game that were going to be implemented and knew that a pwipe was coming. I never told anyone but they needed a scapegoat and I was picked. Mainly because I wasn't supposed to know the information. I wasn't the leak.

Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:42 pm

Oh, now there's something I'd really have fun reading. Can we get a history of the mud "Days of Our Lives" version?

::Looks through some of her old files::

I think I could write a big chunk...
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Dugmaren
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Dugmaren » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:43 pm

When the mud closed down for 98 I was leading a group in manscorpions, everyone was all spelled up for the king, we poked the rampager, and mud goes down the hole!

I remember thinking if it was all over, there wasn't anything I'd rather be doing at the time then charging an epic fight.

Toukage
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:01 am

Dug, I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the Winter 1999/2000 closing of Sojourn2. I was there in the Hive too. And when I tell the story, I'm leading the group! :P
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:31 pm

Grizz wrote:The 1998 shut down was blamed on me btw. I was privy to certain aspects of the game that were going to be implemented and knew that a pwipe was coming. I never told anyone but they needed a scapegoat and I was picked. Mainly because I wasn't supposed to know the information. I wasn't the leak.

Even more reason to not like Grizz. He made the mud go down the hole! I was on at that time too, forget what it was i was doing, but logging back on the next day you get a 120 line explanation of why Kris wasn't going to do this anymore, blah blah blah.

Mplor, nice timeline, quick, to the point, still don't see exactly what benefit it had, but maybe at least grizz will stfu now.

Tanji - consume a turgid member. (if that is too wordy for you, see me in game and i'll translate) and for the record, i am in the history as various names, but i don't try to toot my own horn about it all, like i said, the past is the past, if i decide to reminice thats for my personal gratification, means little to others.

Alomlim - *bird* these are all manual.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:19 pm

is it a coincidence that Del's last name loosely looks like Amoron?? :P

*wink* del you know i love ya :P
Grizz
Sojourner

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:33 pm

Delmair Aamoren wrote:... and for the record, i am in the history as various names, but i don't try to toot my own horn about it all, like i said, the past is the past, if i decide to reminice thats for my personal gratification, means little to others.

Alomlim - *bird* these are all manual.

Maybe one of those names was Asshole? Nah maybe that is just how people considered you.

Ihazim
Sojourner

Postby Ihazim » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:48 pm

pwned.
Imis9
Sojourner

Postby Imis9 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:01 am

A nice positive history without the muck would be the best. :)

Imis
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:49 pm

Grizz wrote:Maybe one of those names was Asshole? Nah maybe that is just how people considered you.

Perhaps. but i prefer insensitive prick.

Assholes have done much for the development of this mud. If you disagree, ask anyone who has been here for more than 5 years. Just doing my part!
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:37 pm

Delmair Aamoren wrote:Perhaps. but i prefer insensitive prick.

Such lies!

Maybe the day Dennis Leary sings a song called that, until then, we all know you love "asshole" more. No wait, I mean "Asshole-lee-O"

;)
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:58 pm

Mplor wrote:Dug, I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the Winter 1999/2000 closing of Sojourn2. I was there in the Hive too. And when I tell the story, I'm leading the group! :P

It was you, Mplor! I was there too. Dug is smoking that dwarven weed everyone talks so much about. Don't mix ale with that weed Dug. You might hallucinate :)
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:43 pm

I was there, in the Hive, too.
Mplor was leading, it's true.
Isn't this almost haiku?
Grizz
Sojourner

Postby Grizz » Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:57 pm

More like Dr. Suess

Kossuth
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Kossuth » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:50 pm

I was there too, was definitely Mp.
Kossuth -- TorilMUD Administrator

Astine OOC: 'ask not what I do to your mom, ask what my mom will do to you'
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:18 am

I seem to recall that we had exceeded the group-size limit and Touk was leading our elite special-forces unit sweeping the streets of the Hive of the Manscorpions for rogue enemies while the main force worked on the mob-group battles.

Since you all remember it so well, maybe you also remember an exact date? I am one or two hard drives removed from those days and no longer have the ICQ logs where I swore I was going to give Miax a piece of my mind when the MUD came back up. LOL

Mp
Dugmaren
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Dugmaren » Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:57 pm

Jan 23, 2000 Manscorpion Group

Warriors: Touk, Gorth, Arisha, Jurdex
Invokers: Mplor, Alaindril, Cardolan, Korus (1death), Jani
Clerics: Varia
Enchanters: Valos, Blanah
Shamans: Dakn (1death)
Druids: Fayren (1death)
Conjurers: Nalix (2deaths)
Rogues: Tovel, Nitania
Rangers Waelos, Saitcho

There was a small side group to accommodate extra friends, I died tanking a squad, and asked Mplor to take over leading while I recovered rather then have everyone wait for me. God I hate this place sometimes, remind me not to post in the forums anymore.

Touk

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”