?'s about leading zones

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Thordin
Sojourner

?'s about leading zones

Postby Thordin » Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:35 pm

Like most of the ppl that play this mud I've been around off and on for years and years. Always as a follower and never as a leader. Never even really payed much attention to all the little tricks my zone leaders have used. (guess I am a trusting soul)

Well now I am thinking about leading some folks around. Now mind you I feel that I should learn in low and mid-level zones and not just jump into stuff. After all Thordin is just level 26 or so. So I plan on going through a self taught zoning school. I have some questions...

1.)Are there still *new* players of low to mid levels to lead into slaughter? or are most the folks on the mud alts of alts and have already as much or more experience than I do?

2.)I have never really done low/mid zones before. XP is such a grind. This mud you tend to xp till you get to zone level - skipping many great low/mid zones in favor of xp. This time I plan to do even the little zones as I level and take my sweet ass time. If you were going to do this what eq, fun procs, areas would you plan on visiting?

3.)Any suggestions for good low/mid zones to do? AV for instance has some decent AC items for cleric/warriors to use to level. Seems if there are true noobs to lead into slaughter - they might appreciate this kind of place.

4.)Anyone want to throw me some maps, notes, tips, techniques to get me started? hit me up at gjack_01 yahoomsgr.

thanks

T
Khemed
Sojourner

Postby Khemed » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:57 pm

Just a reply to say that I am, indeed, a true noob with no higher leveled character.

Just imagine me as that *one* kid in the yard who always shouts pick me, picke me when you were picking team members in highschool.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:24 pm

I know this is going to sound scary... but ask Moritheil. He runs groups of newer people a lot.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:55 am

rylan wrote:I know this is going to sound scary... but ask Moritheil. He runs groups of newer people a lot.

Yeah, just don't expect to reach lvl 50 for 2 years if you do though.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:01 pm

I always liked that quote from early Star Wars.. Obe One Konobi I think it was that said it. "Who is more foolish? The fool? Or the fool that follows him?"

-Zoom
Duna
Sojourner

Postby Duna » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:10 pm

okay, as far as zones to do... I'd have to say BGR, Dusk Road, Ice Crag(not vault), begining part of TF (dragonmen) um... not sure what else.. as for maps check out minthur's maps..
http://craigbb.home.insightbb.com/
There is eq on BGR, just out towards ZK more ;) Havenport is also a possibility, can't remember what all is there though.. been too many years :( I know there are some actual zones aimed at mid level's.. just not sure which one's and where they are :(
I hope that helps ya out some ;)
Thordin
Sojourner

Postby Thordin » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:27 pm

Thanks for the replies. Last night I didnt LFG anything but spent some time sending tells to ppl to see if they wanted to run through Minotaur Outpost just for fun. Lots of easy fights in there for levels above 35. Since I am only 29th I looked for ppl around my level, with at least a healer and a higher level chanter for spell_prots since the last fight is a bit bigger than the others. Did not get many answers other than "I'm xping atm." :)

I'll go look at BGR again, I've never really explored it all. Although I have wandered ZK a lot, the Spiderhaunts and such.

Right now I am thinking the areas I should concentrate on are AV, IC (w/o vault), maybe dusk road (although the only thing I really know on that is tattered sack? and the plat circlet.)

There has to be more mid/low level things! Gimme more suggestions as you pass thorugh the realms.

If you have a log of AV send it to meh. :P
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:25 am

I really, really would like to suggest that, above all, you do not lead off a map or a log for your first fifty zone leads or so. Or twenty, if you're impatient. Leading off of other peoples' notes will only ensure that you know how to mimic other leaders or other specific leads.

It's my experience that a leader should have some relevant information in his or her head, and be able to improvise for anything that he or she cannot remember. The ability to improvise is the hardest to develop, and your early zone leads (in presumably simpler zones) are a good time to also get used to leading "blind." That's the fastest way to learn, although by far not the most painless.

Welcome to the world of leading! Have fun!
Last edited by moritheil on Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:29 am

IC, Dusk, EM, Eternals, miniTF, GC.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'

Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'

Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:45 pm

The first zone I ever led was Ice Crag (the full thing). I spent the morning mapping the entire zone myself and had taken notes the week before on all of the fights while following other people. Make sure to ask what type of mob you're fighting, not just try to copy tactics because those may have to change depending on the type of group you have.

Dugmaren wrote a pretty neat midlevel zone down south that no one ever does really. Can't remember the name offhand but its full of drow and dwarves.
Alomlim
Sojourner

Postby Alomlim » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:57 pm

Dugmaren wrote a pretty neat midlevel zone down south that no one ever does really. Can't remember the name offhand but its full of drow and dwarves.

That's "AV" or "AQV" or Al'Quarthis Vergul or whatever, and I too wanted to mention it because I think it's a complete blast.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”