Choking Palace

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Dalar
Sojourner

Choking Palace

Postby Dalar » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:18 am

Great zone, great concept. But, I'm not interested in beta testing a new zone. Has this zone been done on test with 15 different people doing the full zone and completed? Or is this all theoretical zoning.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:54 pm

Every new zone works this way, you should know that by now. Don't do the zone until its been in for a few months if you have a problem with it. There's just no way to effectively test a zone other than by putting it in the live MUD. We do our best to iron out all the problems we can find beforehand, but there will always be unforseen bugs that only crop up once its live.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:20 pm

I'm not worried about bugs, I'm more worried about design.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:16 am

I have to agree 100% with shevvy on this one. Zones get beta tested on the mud. I think many, including myself can see the furor there would be if a group of 15 people got to test zones on the testmud and learn all the info before they were put in, before everyone else got to even see them.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:39 pm

Heh.. exactly the type of furor we need. Oh well.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:41 pm

Sarell wrote:I have to agree 100% with shevvy on this one. Zones get beta tested on the mud. I think many, including myself can see the furor there would be if a group of 15 people got to test zones on the testmud and learn all the info before they were put in, before everyone else got to even see them.

what secrets are there? lots of mobs keep coming. OH NO 1337 BETA INFOZ

fotex
Sojourner

Postby fotex » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:13 pm

If you're going to beta-test the mud, you might as well do it on the mud itself rather than the testmud. You'll get to keep any eq you actually find. Plus all the handy crashes for the rare hunters. 8)
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:31 pm

fotex wrote:If you're going to beta-test the mud, you might as well do it on the mud itself rather than the testmud. You'll get to keep any eq you actually find. Plus all the handy crashes for the rare hunters. 8)

I disagree. Notice how many people are willing to explore a zone for the first time. Why? Because it's always messed up the first time either due to functionality or design. For Choking, I think it's a great concept and I don't blame Dugmaren for the so called "double popping" I keep hearing about. I'm more concerned about being able to kill all the crap that keeps coming without having to bring 5 invokers.

Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:04 pm

I thought a lot of people were willing to explore a zone for the first time out of curiosity, a sense of adventure, greed, or a desire to do something different for a change.

Never once, when exploring a new zone, has the idea "it would be better to explore it before the bugs are fixed" come to my mind.

People know that new zones just going in are going to be buggy, it's something people tend to expect the first time they take a group into one. I figured most people also realize that the staff is usually walking along with them when the first group goes into a new zone. I know some players won't even go to zones the first few times they're done, because they want to be sure the bugs are worked out first. It seems like when a zone first goes in, it's open to general ptesting in the best way possible... to an unpredictable group of people who are certain to break it in every way they can simply because they have no idea what to expect.

Not everybody likes the same kind of zone, just like not everybody plays for the same reasons, or with the same goals in mind.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:00 am

maybe dartan is just mad cuz the bug he wanted to exploit got fixed already and he has to do the zone for real
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.
Teba tells you 'let me do my job you volo twinker!'
Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:29 pm

I mean just for zones in general. People do go and see them. We know they will be buggy, sometimes it works in our favour, sometimes it doesn't. Good fun finding out. Lots of people choose not to do new zones until they have been completed a few times. I don't really see the big problem with having the choice to do it on the mud with the current Pbase. If there was 10 times the number of people then maybe some beta testing could work. If beta tests were done on zones in general tho, i'm sure people would be posting maps and walkthroughs before the zone even made it into the mud which I don't think would be so good... I sort of see the times you do get something a bit easier as a bonus for actually working out a zone.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:04 am

Naw I didn't even try to do the "bug" you speak of. It's not a bug, it's an exploit. BTW Gura, I will reserve Choking Palace every hour of the day for the next 50 years so please don't go near my zone.

Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:10 am

ok. ill go try and abuse bugs in that zone every hour now.
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.

Teba tells you 'let me do my job you volo twinker!'

Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'
fotex
Sojourner

Postby fotex » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:43 am

I'm more concerned about being able to kill all the crap that keeps coming without having to bring 5 invokers.

Indeed, I highly recommend arranging with the zone maker ahead of time to (invisibly) accompany your party while you beta-test. He might be able to smooth things out, if and when problems arise.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”