How long have you been mudding and where did you come from?

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.

How many years have you been here?

under one year
5%
one - two years
4%
two - three years
5%
three - four years
2%
four - five years
3%
five - six years
4%
six - seven years
0%
seven - eight years
5%
eight - nine years
9%
nine - ten years
18%
ten - eleven years
32%
I've been here since the beginning.
13%

Total votes: 220
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:04 pm

During my freshman year of high school (94/95) Kajib and myself were introduced to the mud by someone else in our computer programming class. We loved it because it was free, we could play it from school with no download of software (yay telnet!) And it was just all around fun. I remember dying when the computer lab closed and driving as fast as we could to the library in town to log in and CR.

I'm still here because of the people, and yeah because its free.
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:37 pm

During my freshman year of high school (54/55) some friends and I used to mud on an abacus. We loved it because it was free, we could play it from school. And it was just all around fun. I remember dying when one of my beads on the abacus broke and I drove to the five and dime to get another as fast as my horse drawn carriage would take me.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:45 pm

Korra said to me 'hey man, come up to the uni and chack this out'... I was there 'til pretty late at night... one day in '95 i think...
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:54 pm

Snurgt wrote:During my freshman year of high school (54/55) some friends and I used to mud on an abacus. We loved it because it was free, we could play it from school. And it was just all around fun. I remember dying when one of my beads on the abacus broke and I drove to the five and dime to get another as fast as my horse drawn carriage would take me.

Snurgt is why I mud.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Shayla Rose
Sojourner

Postby Shayla Rose » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:05 pm

I started in September of 2001, playing Soj3 after finally being convinced to give it a try by some friends who have played here since '95 (but who no longer play). I had to take 21 months of for personal reasons, so my total time is less than 2 years I suppose.

I stayed for two reasons. First, because I am stubborn. Aedyra was my first MUD PC ever, and Grey Elf Enchantress might not have been the easiest way to go. After playing for almost 5 hours, I had accumulated many deaths and absolutely no XP, GP, or even a single kill. The second reason I stayed is because of Lilithelle. After those nearly five hours, a druid happened upon me and she took some pity. She gave me some _very_ modest equipment and some very valuable advice. Chickens had never been so afraid. -grin-

I came back to play mainly because of friends. I also love the fact that there's so much that's still new to me.

Another aspect I love is that despite the fact that even if you are very new, if you play your class well, you will always be valued.
vallis
Sojourner

TIR (Time in Rank)

Postby vallis » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:35 am

I've been around since.. i'd say 93? This was my first MUD.. the original Sojourn.

Aside from a few EmlenMUDs, this has ALWAYS been my home, even if I couldn't stand it at time.

My first incarnation was Slyvarius of the Mailed fist.
Then I was Vallis of Ahk Elamshin.
I was also know as Klyf, Keslak and now Pozut.

BRING BACK MYRANTHEA.

The end.
:)
Lohrandelarien
Sojourner

o h gawd.

Postby Lohrandelarien » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:00 am

Lets see...

I got introduced to Sojourn sometime during 95 I think... I was goin the 7th grade here in Sweden. My 6yr older friends I've just met showed me the mud.. and I was totally hooked. Me and my friend in the 8th grade (Gergo/Anarion/Rhyna) started to mud at school and library EVERY day, as much as we would. Neither of us had internet at home at that point. So only chance to mud was either mud at friends places, mud at library, or mud at school.

At the library in town, you wrote your name up on a list and you had 30 mins to use at a time. So me and my friend booked up the whole list on the library EVERY DAY with fake names and signings all over, so we could mud ALL DAY long from 12pm-19pm. We probably did that for half a year or so.

Meanwhile, between school and library we hung out at friends with internet and payed them to being able to mud. Eventually I talked my parents into gettin a 14k modem and the addiction went on. I probably mudded a 120-140 hrs / month at that time.. resulting in pretty obscure internet bills for my parents to take care of.. + I mudded the library every day and weekend.

We were a pretty big gang from my hometown that played at the same time. We eventually got our own computer gaming circle, and our own local. It was a 5 x 3 meter room, and we sat there 12-13 people.. mudding our asses off. It stank of sweat, frenchfries, old burgers, snacks, moldy coke bottles and so on. We even celebrated new years eve there, and at one time some guy had a birthday party there.. Totally insane.

Fylne, Ulgh, Zolth, Songor, Genlir, Gergo, Vilja, and their alts etc etc etc,
we was a big gang. Some year later I think in 96-97?? I tricked Mohdig to start playin a monk named Rahnyr.

Its the best gaming experience of my life, nothing can beat those 2-3 first years late sojourn/toril days. Who can forget the "DREAM"? Omfg, that was a major mess.

During the years i've met loads of great people here, its been a blast...I feel so nostalgic thinking about those late mudding events, faking names at the library, lying to parents about mud, failing classes at school - just to play a stupid text based game in ansi.. :P isnt that great.

What I love the most is to read old logs of the years 95-97... seeing all those names that lies deep within your head, evoking memories themselves.

Its been a great time, I can't say anything else. A great adventure.

Glahir, Elusia, Lohrandelarien, Dalrik, Ewara.... and so on ;)
Iggar
Sojourner

Hrrm

Postby Iggar » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:21 pm

Came in early 90s - like Kiryan and others I left Kallisti mud when it shut down.

Made an AP and stayed in BS 1 rl year i was too scared to leave town and die.

LOVE no level based eq - is why I always come back after I pitch a fit a self-delet

LOVE quests - omg - lub lub lub

People good!! - - I like some ppl more than others and am sure others feel that way about me.

Guilds -- cofounded Swamp Hunters with Grux/Styraxxilon
cofounded Vermillion Shadow (too bad Kevin could never spell)
was a member of Wyrms for a bit
was a member of OD x2
cofounder of Gatekeepers of the Abyss

WISH GUILDCODE WAS IN THOUGH!!

love love LUB liches and APs

Itex/Illreok/Ykor/Osk/Ruk/Gruxx/Bruhdar/Betom/Tanr/Zreok/Naraskulkin and others
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:24 am

oh i started around 1990. i was basically the whole player base until the mud was open to the public. then i just multi-play all my char. i was kurz ranon kanthas toddrick asamoth mystra lloth tok book sok smoke folk and joke. i would invade ss sc bc ic dc cc dd ee and zz top. when my other personality couldn't get all i was force to split the mud into two so they wouldn't kill themselves... myself... itself? anyways thats all i have

oh... downgrade gura
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:01 am

ive been playing since late 98 early 99

duard intorduced me to the mud when i went to visit him for a week. my first charictor wat an ogre warrior named grugg. and from about 2 minutes into it on i was stuck. i think it might have been the abundant amount of nice people. but as the years progressed people became less nice so i played less. but i still encourage others to play. like linsow zitahna and a few others.

anyway yea. nice people is what got me stuck here.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:56 pm

Umm.

1995, Senior in High School.

Man, watching all you young wippersnappers talking about being in MIDDLE SCHOOL!

I feel old.

First character was Chentra the bard, then Gartra the Barb Conjie. Started playing cus we had some friends in town that were playing.

Then I moved to Dallas and it was a cheap way to keep in contact. *grin*

I've had a KAZILLION chars since then, but noone in particular.

I stay because of the friends, fun (Finally zonable after 10 years!!!!!), and RP. Now I have all kinds of new friends to play with, and most of them have a larger vocabulary than my 4 year old. Thanks for keeping sane. *grin*

Lilira
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:21 pm

I started in um 95 or 96, came on beacause of Mori, Rer, Teflor (we all got on about the same time).

Really i stayed because of the people, probably back at the start due to Touk and Jorus, and then later on due to all the others that i've been on here forever with :p
Drogga
Sojourner

about 10yrs

Postby Drogga » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:21 am

im here since 1995 so its about 10years...

started as barbarian warrior named Elang, then Jundak, then troll named Drogga, bla bla and now Ramo and the gang :P
Grogu
Sojourner

Whoa! Long times

Postby Grogu » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:25 pm

It's been about 9 years now. I started when I was 12, thanks to my brother. I still remember the time when he logged on my first character, Raige, human paladin (Yeah, yeah, I know, I shoulda been a troll or something with that name), and sold all of my gear because I pissed him off for some reason or another.
Then I played as Korthus, grey elf druid, and learned every secret on that damnable elfcatraz. I have since forgotten most of the details from that place. And no, I'm not Swedish. For those who don't know, and if I remember correctly, it's Kort Hus -- House of Cards. I stopped playing after the pwipe, thinking my "home" was forever gone.
I played on a couple other muds, and was reintroduced to sojourn 3, where I once again became addicted to the challenge. Yes, I did take a sabbatical, but I'm back now. What with new zones that I haven't tried, and dragon code that everyone's afraid of, and therefore I haven't had a chance to experience it, I'm thinking that things will be an interesting challenge once again.
Oh, and for the other part of the original post, I'm from Springfield, Oregon. Just like the Simpsons. We even have the comic book store guy (It's really two people merged into one, but they still work at the comic store. It's pretty funny, actually.)

Grogu
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:00 am

Looooong time. My brother found it through a dialup bbs, back when his state of the computer still ran c++. Think I musta been about 16. If you are from Eugene, Oregon, then chances are you know someone who knows someone who knows me or my bro...we showed our friends and they spread the word, and the wierdest thing but by the end of the next month, half of two highschools were online. Played for years and years, then got tired of all the splitting and chaos, ended up on darkover for a little, then got too busy in college, met a dane, and moved to europe. So i took a little break. Ended up getting a bit lonely and searched the net. Viola! Here I am, good old days renewed.

Back then it was just when beta got released. I remember Jerra (think his name was jerra) being the first one in the game to get -100 ac. A ranger.
I remember split shield going in. And some bad ass anti-paladin who got a statue put in at Bloodstone, one of the few zones in at the time. Later we had some funky kingdom of myrindel or meandranel or whatever with a TON of overdone eq that everyone wore and then it all got yanked and people cried. was funny. Heh I miss cerze the monk, he was kewl and nice to my own little monkey. And I especially miss berserkers. And mercs. But the mud rocks, have to say like most of the class changes, at least the additions. Why yank zerkers? sniff. no reason at all.

Oh and I definitely remember when gnolls offa bgr could kill ya. But back then i couldnt type either and all my chars sucked.

Remember all the excitement when gods hinted about evils going in. And when trolls and ogres finally did? PLAY EVIL! (I rolled an ogre first thing and never went back.)
Burmadapig
Sojourner

Postby Burmadapig » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:50 am

Started in September 1996 when I started working with Fayren rl, I knew her in high school. Learned fast how harsh and zone free life as a ranger was back in the day. I was too stubborn to listen to their warnings that being a fighter that could cast wasn't necessarily a good thing. Finally, at the prodding of her and Dizahk I started playing a gnome conjurer, Pontle. Loved playing him, zoned a lot, and made tons of friends that have lasted through the years. Then just as I hit 47, WIPE. After that wipe, I started playing gnome invoker, Rontle. About mid 40s got outcasted for passing stuff from my troll to my anti and things from my voker to my anti. My transition to playing evils and being one of two OC invokers...think Koldor (can't remember if that's the spelling as it has been so long) was the other one, came with that. Followed Lazz and crew around zoning and becoming part of the evils. Became friends with Jegzed and a lot of others then and have kept many of those friendships going over the years. I remember I had just hit 46 and was on the last step of inferno quest when game shutdown. Spent some time on another mud with Jegzed and a few other old skool people. Came back when here when the mud came back up and rolled up Nazma Drow Invoker. Got to 50, departed for a year and a half. Been back for a few months. First day back, old friend asked me to join MO. It's like I never left. Few faces have changed, but it's still home.
Tibek
Sojourner

Postby Tibek » Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:59 pm

I was told about Toril by Botef, he got me and two of my other friends to try it. I am the only one to stick to it so much, but Ezwar is starting to get hooked I think. I have been a fan of D&D for a while now and a game like this is pretty close to it.
Toril is like crack once you start you can't go back.
Id say the only way to go is to start as a drow! I got so much help at DK and equipment as well. I think that evils rock because of that. Only ever played one goodie and it was my first char. I had no help and people shruged me off =P.

Oh yea about Tibek... I live in Pullman, WA and have played toril for about a year or so. Rp's are a great way to develop a char and i would like to have more of a role in them but my play times suck. (never really on that much but trying) I think this mud has many different thing to atracked players like guilds, zones, quests, etc etc. I'd advertise with some badass picture of some chars and say the its D&D without papper and dice.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:58 pm

It's been like 8 years... so it's hard to remember how I found this MUD.

I started mudding at Eternity's Trials, mostly, and then moved to Elusive Dreams. Both were ROM MUDs and were very similar, but the environment was a bit friendlier at ED and they had some different ideas there.

I think I was just really into Forgotten Realms at the time so I was searching for an FR mud to try out, and this came up. I don't think I was searching on MUDConnector... but I'm really not sure.

Why did I stay? Well, it's kinda funny... I'm almost surprised I did. I played for one night, and someone led me around and I had no clue waht was going on mostly. Then the next day my character was gone, I guess there had been some big spank and a lot of people lost their eq so they restored all the pfiles from a backup... which didn't include mine.

I rolled a character, took the first roll and logged in with Sarvis just to ask what happened to my character. When I found out, they wouldn't let me delete the character so I could re-roll and get decent stats... heh. I tried to wait three days, I think chars auto-deleted after that long, but couldn't keep myself away.

I think part of it may have been because it was different than the ROM muds I had been playing. For instance training skills at your guildmaster rather than earning points and dividing them up. Plus the way rooms were colored, green for forest rooms and such, was appealing... it gave the mud a sort of atmosphere compared to the generally spammy colors found on the other muds I had played.

Yeah, this probably wasn't that helpful.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:17 am

Too freakin long.

Started in 94 I think, right after the first wipe. Was a grey elf ranger for about a week, then made a sorc because a newbie ranger wasn't enough challenge. All been downhill from there. Started with the old grey elf brigade, Rhajiz, Turt, Eilorn, Xyd, ect ect.

Played a few other muds over the years, Luminous Horizons and Darkover mainly.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Azenilsee
Sojourner

Postby Azenilsee » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:45 am

I started sometime in 1995 (Sojourn 1 Beta!) in college. I was introduced to it by a friend who was studying in the states (Vanderbilt). At that time my college was one of the most advanced in terms of IT infrastructure, so we had a lot of new machines (Pentium 60!) as well as a fat pipe to the net. I rolled an elven sorcerer named Quillyn and managed to get him to level 3 in about a week. At the same time a lot of my friends were playing in Waterdeep, so I ditched the elf and made a human sorcerer named Tuslin. In a year about 30 of us were playing hardcore and we terrorized Waterdeep with our massive 25+ people in a group. I bet it was for many players during those days, their introduction to people from Malaysia. :) I think all of us were introduced to some form of D&D during school, but never something so deep and so engrossing. At that time the only way to Telnet was thru DOS and we actually hid and moved the file all over the hard drive so other people couldn't log on to the college UNIX box to check their email and stuff. After each day we gathered at the local watering hole and traded stories on what we did that day, it was frickin awesome! Through the years many have moved on, got a job, had a family, but I know that everyone of us had moments that'll bring a laugh whenever we're together and Sojourn stories was brought up.

Anyways, what made me stay was the people. I met so many amazing and wonderful characters here that I would've never met in real life. Never ever! And everytime a group clicks and that zone run is smooth as silk it still never fails to amaze me.

The best years here for me was during the heydays of CC and OD. The caramaderie, the rivalry, the grudging respect (and lack of it, sometimes) was really something that I had never experienced before because apart from just playing the game, we learned a lot about each other and how we are as people.

Thanks for the sweet memories!
Azenilsee - Faern Dalharil
Anab
Sojourner

Postby Anab » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:03 am

I starting mudding about 8 months ago. First mud: Torilmud. Was watching friend at school play on telnet. Looked kinda fun so I went home logged on and rolled me an ogre. Grxx helped me get started then so did Zizziz. After that i was hooked. I love to be able to make the game more enjoyable as others and help them out. I love the killing.(takes out all the stress built up in RL).Some people say they dont like the exp but I find it rather enjoying. It can get frustrating but I find it a challenge in and of it its self. So here ya go got an Evil Ogre newbie helping other newbies die. :)
Zizziz tells you 'ok stop spamming me with your corpses.'
Sselrahk tells you 'Still, every poke with a poking stick is a poke with a poking stick.'
Bibad lvl 50 Orc Bchanter
Aggaz lvl 50 Troll Warrior
Berrin
Sojourner

Postby Berrin » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:54 am

I started playing Sojourn sometime around the start of my grad school days '92-'93 (yep, I'm an old fart). I just found Toril/Sojourn after messing around with some LPmuds and found I liked the dikus better.

That was back when the gods would global when someone hit 50.

Since then it's been Soj/Toril.. Duris.. Bastarnae... Soj... Ultima Online... Everquest... Duris... Soj.... WoWarcraft... crap, here again :)

I always seem to return here for some reason.

Torbrin the sorc
Lannor the monk
Horig the warrior
and a bunch more long lost souls

Berrin
Baikalisan
Sojourner

holy christ, i hate flashbacks

Postby Baikalisan » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:05 pm

Well lets see, i started out on Cupids Playpen MBBs in Virginia.. for 2 or 3 years i played Tele-Arena, then they screwed the game up by adding Aqua-Dragons and crap. Luckily a great friend of mine, Menoch, was already playing soj1. Him and another friend of ours were like c'mon over here and we'll show ya the ropes. Zoltarena the cleric and Bergelmir the ogre along with Menoch showed me and my rl sisters, Brelle/Kybrell and Catel/Shelza the ropes. My first character was named Teila... played her from day one, made about lvl 20 b4 the pwipe, i came back guns a blazing!

So i've not been here since day one, but i have been here a very very long time. (omg im so old) :roll:

i remember they made me change my name, years later, i had been lvl 50 with res for at least a couple years, and then i get a respond petition saying i have 5 minutes to change myname or be deleted.. (bastards) it seems my name, in their opinion, was 2 close to the spelling of a He-Man character named Teela..... Teila pronounced Teal-ya, was 2 close to Teela pronounced Tea-la... i dunno, go go gadget crack smokers of the universe!!!

ups and downs dontcha know

all in all its been fun and i have enjoyed every one of the friends i have made, and the enemies i have loved to hate :)

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o
imagine that

well i could go on forever.... .......... ............ but i wont feh!

Baikalisan Terrorforge
Teila Reggin (hadda remove that last name cuz it was 2 close to REgan i shit you not)
Murrisiyir
Arra
Mla
Mekla
Roza
and 2 many more to list

(edit, omg how can i of mispelled smokers? its ok i fixed it and the SMOCKERS of the world can feel vindicated!)

Baikalisan Terrorforge - Valsharess Elg'caress -
Liran
Sojourner

Postby Liran » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:59 pm

I started in '92 - '93, sometime during my junior year in high school. I have long since "retired" but drop by occasionally to check up on things and people.

Lir
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:11 am

i been muddin 7-8 years, i started here and went to exile when the big pwipe took place, been here and went to homeland when it opened, been between ever since
tryed several other muds, couldnt get into them
Ileale
Sojourner

Postby Ileale » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:28 am

I'm almost positive that no-one is really interested in any one else's story (can you say, cynic?) but here goes:

I used to play AD&D and various other roleplay games from the age of 12. My Dad would regularly have to drag me out of games, much to my embarassment and annoyance! I started creating my own games for Vampire: The Masquerade (Still got my Toreador TShirt :-p). I then got internet access - oh lord!

I went through many games and tried a little here and there but didn't find one I really liked until I came across Valheru. Although based on the VME, it had (and has) a great staff and pbase. One of it's players, my great friend Greyheam (amongst other names) suggested I try Toril...

At first it was almost a shock because it is so close to the AD&D system and I had got used to that being hidden from the user, so to see the damage your weapon could do was a real blast from the past! (Although my DM's would never have given me such info - certainly not through a newbie scroll in a newbie zone - but it *really* helped, so I'm not complaining lol)

In all, I've been here in Toril for about a month. I have two *very* low level characters that I care about very much and enjoy playing. I find this a very helpful mud - I've seen posts saying that highbie's won't help newbies but I've only come across that with one player who was probably having a bad night.

I'd just like to say thank you to everyone who has helped me on my Toril journey and, one day, I will repay the favour ;)
Ionari
Sojourner

Postby Ionari » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:13 am

Are you saying there are other MUDs ???
Io

Olit tells you '2000hrs on each of your 5 corpses'
Dugmaren responds to your petition with 'It'd be less spammy if you just deleted again.'
Lilithelle says 'to divine most peoples fates you need to read palms or tea leaves, but in ionari's you just read the corpses'
Alurissi tells you 'no, you're not safe, you're a suicide machine'
Laxlez
Sojourner

Postby Laxlez » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:43 am

Started sometime in 1994 when I was 14. One of my friends introduced me right as he started playing - no idea where he found out about it. Sometimes we would play over at his house with 2 8088 dumb terminals hooked up to his Pentium 90. (Although that initially got us into trouble, as we were accused of multiplaying). I had an ogre warrior (Lierthor) before I settled on a troll shaman (Fierthor) who I played up through Toril. I think I made it to level 42 or so, but back then there wasn't much reason to get higher level if you were a shaman. Fierthor was the only character I got past level 15 or so, and I played him almost exclusively. I was in the Dark Alliance... my friend who introduced me was in the other evil guild (I can't remember what they were called)... He was originally Ragnarook, then forced to change to Kreb... He also played a goodie named Grutax.

We also played on Duris alpha and then a bit once Duris opened up. I can't really remember any of my character names from Duris though.

I played up through Toril, but unfortunately, I introduced Glaman to the game, and ended up sitebanned since there was only one ISP in town.

So that was the end for me... Until I played Sojourn2 for a week during my freshman year in college. I had another troll shaman, this time named Ygg.

Then in college, I started playing again not too long after Sojourn3 opened up. I've primarily played as Laxlez, but I've had a handful of other characters too. Got my gf to play (Nidimee / Dazokapa), had a lot of fun, did Tiamat once, etc. But then it ended up taking up too much of my time, I went to law school, and retired. Officially, I retired before I went to law school, but throughout my first year, I still read the forums religiously and played whenever I could to practice my skills. Eventually, I just gave away my EQ, and now I just log in occasionally to chat with people, and I read the forums from time to time. I can't imagine that I'll ever come back and play again. I've got one last set of finals, then the bar to study for, then a wedding to have, then a job to start. I don't know when I would have the time... But who knows. Maybe if some incarnation of Toril/Sojourn is around 10 years from now, I'll start playing again. (And be amazed again at who is still around.)
cefiw
Sojourner

Postby cefiw » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:38 pm

I happened to go over to a friends house and see him playing it.. He got me hooked....
Ssryth
Sojourner

Postby Ssryth » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:54 am

Well now that's going back in time... think I started around '92 or 93 ... it was the whole D&D theme which got me here.. did a search around the "web" and found .. I think it was sojourn back then :P.

I loved the need to pray and memorise spells, as well as casting times; it was a really nice change from all the instant-cast mana systems. Also loved the way the zones fit into an overall map. And having a semi-realistic economy... with 300+ players on line, there was real supply and demand for goods. I could actually buy dwarven chain mail in MH and sell it in WD for a profit :lol:

Been here most of the time taken a few breaks through the years, and have had various incarnations through the wipes too ...

It all started with a dwarven cleric named Riknor, somehow got to spend a lot of time with Rhu, but he then went along his way and joined eye aeternum, and I somehow ended up in a guild full of elven rangers! (Knights of Light).. i was the token dwarf (and non ranger)

well the rest is history...

The various incarnations of this mud has been a rock... I've been on various muds that have come and gone... but this has always been here; I've had my differences with the admin now and then, but as a whole I really appreciate what you guys go through and put out to keep this going.

Ssryth.
Ssolsinorr
Sojourner

Hehe

Postby Ssolsinorr » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:03 pm

I began around the same time as Ssryth, yo wasup bro!! :), and I have loved this game ever since went back and forth but after one of the wipes I went on to duris and a couple of graphic games, EQ and Daoc hehe, but have always thought of this mud fondly and it was still my favorite game ever. I played right after they instituted the new classes at the time, enchanter etc, and I fell in love, never again would any other game be the same hehe. Anyhow I am so glad to hear never a pwipe again and it really makes it worth playing again forever!! :) Anyhow peace ya'all.

Sol
muzishun
Sojourner

Postby muzishun » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:22 pm

Hmmm... well, I guess I should read the whole poll before I vote next time. I've been mudding for about 4 1/2 years now (voted 4-5), but only been on Toril for about two weeks. Originally a Homelander, I got hooked working in a tech support box about ten feet from Iyachtu Xvim, and we'd mud during downtime.
Bombuj
Dwarf Rogue

Gamuribot
Duergar Assassin
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bill Parrott
Co-Owner
Eternal Second Design
(http://www.EternalSecond.com/)
Glorishan
Sojourner

Postby Glorishan » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:18 pm

I started back in 94-95'ish as an elven thief, Fenroria. Played him up over level 40 or so, but thieves, let alone elvish thieves, sucked so bad back then I decided to roll an elven cleric, Glorishan. Began hanging out with Trogar, Corth, and that whole crew, which was the main reason I liked this place so much. I played until Soj2, which I didn't enjoy at all, but once Soj3 was born, I returned. On Soj3 I ened up joining DSR, then elders, and have recently returned to playing on a semi-regular basis. I think the merge with homeland was what inspired me to play again.

Glor
Touk says 'ac > glorishan > mr > touk > hps'
Siamorphe OOC: 'If AFKing is the devil, then Corth is the Antichrist and Glorishan is the False Prophet who supports him.'
Referring to the guild on 8/28/06: Oghma responds to your petition with 'your leadership team averages 280 days MIA :('
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:33 pm

I started up in 96. Freshman year of college. Digion and I saw the RA playing around on this game, now I wasn't the type to talk to RA unless drunk or trying to talk my way out of trouble (both usually occurred simultaneously). Digion was the good kid so he found out about it from the RA.

Anyhow, he rolled up a *cough*Ranger*cough* and convinced me to try it out. I rolled a barbarian warrior named Vigis and promptly began skipping classes and pulling 48 hour sessions.

Been here ever since.
selerial
Sojourner

Postby selerial » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:35 pm

I first started playing Sojourn in December 1994, having been introduced to it by a classmate. It was the third mud I had played (first was DikuII and second was Carrion Fields, where I was the leader of the Entropy clan for a small time).

At the time I was in to playing female characters, and ironically my classmate was in to playing male characters, though we were both the opposite in real life. I was a monk named Allexia for a long time (got her to level 37), never got level 50 in any incarnation of the mud until Selerial on Soj3. Between then I had an army of level 20s of most every class and a couple higher level characters - a barbarian conjurer named Wreolar (27 but I was leveling him when Soj2 shut down) and a dwarf warrior named Grommar (43).

I never really hung out with anyone that's still around, and most of you probably haven't heard of me.

With my modern characters I've made some friends and that's more or less why I still hang around, though my current interest is in seeing how the Homeland merger will affect the mud.
Zogur
Sojourner

Postby Zogur » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:48 pm

Been here since 93 or 94. Played a barb zerker named Kryga. Mostly played with Jebu, Kilmaria and Kasmira those days. Later i became Krob and spent my days zoning on European times with Calib and Varia. Quit for 2 years then came back, rerolled Krob.

Went evil somewhere along the line and teamed up with Uggr or something usually. Then met Sslarris, Jegzed, Turg and the bunch. Been grouping with them eversince.

Just returned from a 2 year retirement only to find there had been no wipe.
Elet
Sojourner

Postby Elet » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:40 pm

Zogur wrote:Been here since 93 or 94. Played a barb zerker named Kryga. Mostly played with Jebu, Kilmaria and Kasmira those days. Later i became Krob and spent my days zoning on European times with Calib and Varia. Quit for 2 years then came back, rerolled Krob.

Went evil somewhere along the line and teamed up with Uggr or something usually. Then met Sslarris, Jegzed, Turg and the bunch. Been grouping with them eversince.

Just returned from a 2 year retirement only to find there had been no wipe.

howdy bro.. hope you still remember me :)
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:55 am

:)

long time and all :)
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:44 pm

You can thank jelly(Kyrend) for my existance here. He got me into the
game. I played an anti named delmair at first, then got drug into the assassin life. Neither class was a core class, so i didn't find many groups. Usually it was just jelly and i soloing around waterdeep and southern waterdeep. Got up into the 40's without ever doing a zone. was rather amazing. Been here off and on since. Nice to see a lot of the old faces around tho. And always nice to see some new ones.
Kesena
Sojourner

Postby Kesena » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:16 pm

Oh man, umm started mudding in 2000-2001, BF got me hooked. Had to know what was the attraction of this text based game that he lost a job over when he found out it was still up. Heheh would lie awake night watching him mud. It was totally mystifying to me. So I rolled up a drow necro, and thought, well hell, this really stinks. Then I rolled a drow rogue, and omg, faster than you can say addictive personality, I was hooked.
I was hooked by stories of the daring exploits of the OD team. I was hooked by the personalities (often conflicting) of the people who play here. and yes, I was hooked by shiny pretty ansii goodies. *grin*
All my RL friends have come and gone here, they wonder why I stay. I can't help it any longer, there's no where else I'd rather play.
Gre'as'anto Lani
Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:30 am

Been mudding on and off since '96, only came to Toril about a year ago. First character was the bard, because I thought they'd be a good roleplaying class.

Since then, I've come to appreciate a bard for their special talents, rather than trying to force him to become a mini-rogue.

So far, Lahgen is my only zonable character. I'd probably have more by now, but I have a hard time sticking to an alt.
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'
Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone
Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'

Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
Atemela
Sojourner

Postby Atemela » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:48 pm

Well, reading this thread, it seems most people find this place through friends. So if we want the pbase to grow, tell your friends! :D

Anyway, I don't remember how long it's been, I believe I started late 93 or early 94. I was introduced by Drakkoth, I'd only played more social oriented MU*s prior to Sojourn. So I rolled something up and played. Don't remember what my first char was, but eventually I played a halfling cleric, Mahal, and remained pretty clueless for a long time.

Played another wipe as another halfling cleric, and then went to Duris not long after the split. Been there pretty much the whole time since, although I leveled up yet another halfling cleric a couple years ago, and I'm back now for nostalgia reasons, I guess.
therdan
Sojourner

Postby therdan » Tue May 03, 2005 9:14 pm

I started right after the toril duris split so was that 94 or 95? Oh well
The poll is very interesting my kids are of age many of you started. He seen the mud when he was younger and no way his generation is giving up X-box live and instant eq/kill for some text game.

On the fast 2400 baud modem! Man that 14.4 upgrade I was smoking!

I can give a long list of why players/gods leave the mud but when I was put out to pasture (along with couple of other admins becouse we were the root of all evil) I went quietly into the night.

ps I bet 100 bucks bevis and butthead are still a loadable mob!
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Tue May 03, 2005 9:49 pm

I miss Beavis and Butthead!

Think Bill the Cat is still loadable?
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Thu May 05, 2005 5:38 pm

Don't forget Bob the Jello Demon!
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon May 09, 2005 3:11 pm

therdan wrote:The poll is very interesting my kids are of age many of you started. He seen the mud when he was younger and no way his generation is giving up X-box live and instant eq/kill for some text game.

People still play baseball you know.
Sangdraxus
Sojourner

Postby Sangdraxus » Mon May 09, 2005 3:21 pm

Came from playing MajorMud to Sojourn.
Sangdraxus Blackfire - 50th Level Anti-Paladin
Sangdraxus - 60th Undead Warrior - Whisperwind
Anafin
Sojourner

Postby Anafin » Tue May 31, 2005 8:34 pm

I just started mudding again after a year or so off. Heres my history.
When I was 13-14 (I'm 25 now) I started playing BBS games like Tele-Arena 3.0 and later on MajorMUD. I discovered telnet and found Sojourn. I started playing here briefly a few months before the 1st ever wipe and I played a Berserker . I cam back slightly after the wipe took place and played a Grey Elf Sorcerer named Tykre up into the 40's. Stopped playing for reasons I can't remember, then played a host of other muds I won't go through but the bulk of them being Emlem coded muds by the name of Xrin.

But now I have some free time and I'm trying to enjoy Sojourn again like I remember it. Though after 10 years it might be hard reliving childhood eh?
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:26 pm

I was in the AF in January of 1995 when a friend (can't remember his character's name, but he was a bad-ass 6th level thief...Vadian?) introduced me to the game. I'd just gotten internet access at home, and this was the best thing since sliced bread, being a long-time DnD'er. I got my best friend (Caracal) involved and the three of us would "group" and do the goblin king and surrounding stuff for hours on end. His stupid scepter was my first piece of "treasure", and I still remember getting it with pride. Burunga was my first and only character, I took the first stats I rolled, and ended up with a constitution of 46, meaning I wore every piece of +con gear in the game. I continued carrying that +con azalea for my entire career pretty much.

I spent most of my XP time in BS with Altren, then ended up forming Wyrm with my buddies late that year as an alternative to Eye Aeternum and other "l33t" guilds. Other than that my most notable achievements were being one of the standard "help, Shabay screwed us over" clerics, and being able to be the universal diplomat in resolving Mystra disputes. Decided to try writing a zone in 1996 and The Evermoors and my career as an areas wank were born!

It's interesting to see how many folks have been here forever vs. how many new players answered the poll. Means we are great at retaining old players, but not good at either getting or retaining new ones. Like someone said, we all got here through friends, so please spread the word. Heck, tell your kids to stay out of the sunshine (causes cancer) and MUD instead!
Verarb
Sojourner

Postby Verarb » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:56 pm

Hey i heard you hid something in evermoors. That true or is it just rumors?. its been years! and no ones found it!
Spill the beans!.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”