Newbie friendly?

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Ecnis
Sojourner

Newbie friendly?

Postby Ecnis » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:19 am

I am not trying to start a fight. I used to play this mud about ten years ago and recently decided to start again. I met someone who has not been playing for a while and he is loaning me equipment until I can earn my own. Tonight, however, has given me some reason to rethink my decision to return, given the following conversation:

Higher Level Player tells you 'sup'
You tell Higher Level Player 'Hello'
Higher Level Player tells you 'soloing?'
You tell Higher Level Player 'Yes. I have some equipment borrowed from a friend and am learning slowly.'
You tell Higher Level Player 'Or at least trying to.'
Higher Level Player tells you 'tog anon off, itll help'
You tell Higher Level Player 'Why is that?'
Higher Level Player tells you 'that way other people feel comfortable inviting you into groups'
You tell Higher Level Player 'Why should my class make a difference?'
Higher Level Player tells you 'why do birds sing'
You tell Higher Level Player 'Then I guess I'll learn my class solo.'
Higher Level Player tells you '*bow* I wont ever bother you agsin'

Now, I realize that I have been gone from mudding a while, but have things changed so much that class is a detriment from meeting people and getting group invititations? I had heard that things had changed a lot on this mud and it wasn't old player friendly but I did not believe it. This has caused me to rethink myself. I would appreciate any honest input and hope not to receive as many flames as I believe I will receive.

My thanks for your taking the time to read this.

Ecnis
Teshidee
Sojourner

Postby Teshidee » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:56 pm

well, when you're anon, people can't see you on the wholist. it is also impossible to see which level you are. when i invite people to join me doing exp, i usually ask people who i think might be interested in it. to check this, comparing who evil/good to who evil/good group and looking for the lfg flag really does help. anon i can't see you, so you wouldn't get an invite from me. i also will not ask a lv 50 or even 40 player if he/she wants to join my exp group when i am merely at the beginning of lv 20 myself if i don't know them. i believe most people would do this in a similar fashion. also, if i am the head of a small exp group, i'd like to know your class (this indeed IS secondary to me), so i can judge which mobs to hunt. it seems quite logical to me why anon for a newbie is not a good choice, so i will not bother anyone with elaborating my boring thoughts :). hope this hm, helps. (and don't feel flamed!)
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:22 pm

Anon helps if you're a ranger. *whistle*
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:07 pm

Of course your class matters to people if they're looking to make a group. So does your level.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:25 pm

Ecnis,

Being anon nowadays is basically saying = I'm power leveling up an alt and don't want to be bothered by anyone.

Is that the message YOU want to give to others?

As you can see, this makes perfect sense why the 'highlevel' player wasn't going to 'bother' you anymore. He was actually being respectful. Being anon, means you're avoiding everyone on purpose.

Think about it.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:56 pm

Another point to clarify here is that in that ten years since you last played, "anon" was removed from the who list arguments. You can only see anonymous people now if you directly do a "who" on their names.

So if you were wanting someone to group with or help you out, no one will see you unless you're already in an exp zone or sitting around WD/DK.

Togging anonymous off is always wise, especially if you're looking to "make your mark" in the community.

T
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:29 pm

I tog my anon occasionally when I'm already in a group.

Mostly cus peeps are lazy about doing a who ungroup. I also anon when I'm doing skill practice.

I do miss the anon's being available on the who list. It was handy for looking for friends.

Lilira
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:29 pm

Just a good word for all those players out there who go out of their way to be nice.... Try not to let let one mean or negative player turn you off :) there are hundreds more who will be nice to you.

*hugs*

good luck re-starting :) if you have any questions about whats changed or anything like that, use the NHC channel or do a 'who helper' to see who is designated as a new player helper.

Hope that helped even just a little bit.
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Ecnis
Sojourner

Postby Ecnis » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:52 pm

Llaaldara wrote:Ecnis,

Being anon nowadays is basically saying = I'm power leveling up an alt and don't want to be bothered by anyone.

Is that the message YOU want to give to others?

As you can see, this makes perfect sense why the 'highlevel' player wasn't going to 'bother' you anymore. He was actually being respectful. Being anon, means you're avoiding everyone on purpose.

Think about it.

Llaaldara,

I wasn't aware that anon now signifies pleveling. I've always thought anon was what it meant, basically someone who's class you have to discover by talking to him/her and watching their actions and/or spells. Anon being reduced to a "leave me alone" status really takes away from the original meaning of the toggle.

As to what Teshidee said about asking a lvl 40-50 player to join a lvl 20 group, I'm not saying that that wouldn't happen if more ppl were anon. But then how else do you meet different people other than inviting them to join you. Also, can't a lvl 40 PC have a lvl 20 alt that they might wish to xp with?

I just think that being anon should not be a curse for those of us who wish to add a little mystery to the mud, is all. It also helps with the RP aspect that some of us enjoy. Just togging the RP flag doesn't mean anything from what I've seen thus far.

I apologize if it seems like I'm ranting. I'm not. I'm just trying to make a point. I really like the mud and hope I don't have to play elsewhere just because of my views.

Ecnis
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:38 am

I always thought anon meant either "I'm a resser/weller and don't want to show up on the who list," or "I'm doing something important and don't want to be bothered by tells."

You know what I miss?

The (AFK) tag being used like a status symbol. All the cool high level players keeping it on 24/7 so they could feign ignorance when newbies sent them tells. "Sorry dude I was afk."
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:39 am

And by the way, your class matters. You're playing an adventure game. It's not a LARP or a MUSH or an AOL chat room... people will want to group with you because of what you can do, not because of your sparkling personality. At least, at first ;)
Ecnis
Sojourner

Postby Ecnis » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:28 am

Ragorn wrote:And by the way, your class matters. You're playing an adventure game. It's not a LARP or a MUSH or an AOL chat room... people will want to group with you because of what you can do, not because of your sparkling personality. At least, at first ;)

Ragorn,

I know this is not a LARP or a MUSH. But it is a Fantasy Adventure, not just an adventure. When you meet someone on the street, do you automatically know he/she is an accountant or an agriculturist or a CEO? Nope. At least I don't. I talk to them and get to know them if I'm interested. If not, I probably miss out on meeting a great person. Maybe I'm looking for too much "realism" in a fantasy world.

Ecnis
Nekelet
Sojourner

Postby Nekelet » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:36 pm

Here's 2 coppers for you.

The intial tell conversation wasn't meant to be rude (whoever was involved)
As I read it, it was a show of respect for your privacy and your time. (and their time as well perhaps)

There is a 'channel' or 'outlet' for what you seem to wish for, it's 'TOG RP.' there are quite a few folks here, myself included at times, who will enjoy a character developing RP session to get to know each other. And there's a very devoted staff who have pulled off some impressive sessions for that purpose. If only I could log during prime time :P

Now, whether anon and RP are exlusive, I can't say. Never tried it.

Many will RP to the extreme.
Others will, if they aren't doing something more 'time critical.'
Some couldn't care less.
Theres a nice mix of everything here, I'm sure you can find a slot in it.

My opinion. use as you wish.
rockers
Sojourner

Postby rockers » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:06 am

Firstly, i do tog RP and enjoy it. Then i do agree with teshidee, nekelet, ragorn, SHAR, lilira, yasden, llaaldara, corth and teflor. If you tog anon it does mean "I need PRIVACY" for me..and i do lead and joined exp group if they need me as tanker or other cause i got alts..and i don't care actually about level in my group even you're 50..but i do talk to my groups first..if they cool then welcome to the club..lastly we're not flaming you and showing we are arrogant or proud because we're the high level player..because there is still noobie high level like myself but just showing our respect to privacy (Tog Anon)..We always help ppl in needs...Enjoy mudding bro..and we're not hating you... :D
Yours Ugly,
Froggie The Soul Slayer
ImageUnited We are Strong....
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:10 am

Ragorn wrote:I always thought anon meant either "I'm a resser/weller and don't want to show up on the who list," or "I'm doing something important and don't want to be bothered by tells."

You know what I miss?

The (AFK) tag being used like a status symbol. All the cool high level players keeping it on 24/7 so they could feign ignorance when newbies sent them tells. "Sorry dude I was afk."

God I miss the perm AFK flag.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:03 pm

Another view:

A) when people have anon togged they don't want to be bothered and they don't show up on the who list.

B) as a leader i try to not take people who tog anon on, i see it as they want to be left alone.

C) when people have anon togged on i am hesitant to help them when they need help because as "anon" they are unavailable to help others who may need it.

Shrug just my 2 cents.

Pril
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:19 pm

Toril is a class based MUD. Hiding your class says you want to be left alone. Intentional or not. I'm also not saying that only plevelers use this toggle now when pleveling, it's just the most popular time to use it that I've seen. Some will use it when rare checking. Or even questing. Either or, these are still times when the person doesn't want to be arbitrarily dragged off to go zoning. They want privacy.

Agree with Ragorn's points about anon's use as well, and further agree with Nek about how the highlevel was actually being considerate to the anon player, from how I read the log.

As for the point about tog'n anon for RP purposes. Shrug. Wutever really. Some people do this, that's true, but very few keep at it for an extended period of time. I can't recall anyone heartedly using this approach in a story about their character.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:41 pm

i view anon very very unfavorably.

When I see anon next to someone's name it means to me:

im not willing to be available to help you if you need it, but i might still ask you for help if i need it.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:55 pm

Anon = You dont want to group with anyone else and hiding.
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:21 am

Anon = Anonymous.

Anonymous = You don't wish people to know who you are.

For a change, I actually agree with Kiryan - if you don't want people to know who you are, which is apparent since you don't appear on the WHO list, and no one will find you without that, then you are unwilling to help those in need. But, you still have access to the WHO list, so you can get help that you need.

Just remember that this isn't like 10 years ago, and the who list changed so that it doesn't include people who are ANON. The only time I ever turn it on is if I'm in a conversation with someone and don't want to deal with interruptions. People who know me can still find me if they need something, but otherwise, I get to finish my conversation. 99.99% of the time, I won't tog ANON, even if I _DONT_ want to be interrupted - I'd much rather be available to all.

Also, if you're ANON, you don't get on my rescue list, period. If you're zoning, it means you're at keys and available to answer. Even if that answer is "no, I can't right now".
_anonymous_
Sojourner

Postby _anonymous_ » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:49 pm

I agree with Ecnis. You're all being stuck-up fools. Lose the attitude.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:49 pm

look _anonymous_ there's nothing stuck up about wanting to know what class someone is esp when you're forming a group. Groups need certain classes in the mud, that's the bottom line. You can't do jot without a tank, or healer or whatever so if i don't know that yer a healer why would i ask you? esp when for all i know you could be lvl 12 and not even be able to enter gates.

Also how is it "stuck up" to not help people who clearly don't want to help others?

*peer* Did i miss something or? Please explain your "stuck up" comment.

Pril
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:27 am

Before illusionists became the prime movers, man I wish you could be anon in guilds as a druid! :9...

I usually figure if people are anon they probably don't wan't to be bugged. If someone is anon and want nito my group tho it doesn't hurt to ask what class/level they are.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:29 am

_anonymous_ wrote:I agree with Ecnis. You're all being stuck-up fools. Lose the attitude.

Hehe, Ecnis got a 2nd account I guess! :P We all know who mostly uses the BBS and the wording isn't even typical. . . Rather obvious
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:18 pm

you guys are funny.

-anon- was just someone trying to be funny and u guys taking it as serious

---------------
ecnis obviously you misinterpret someone trying to help you. heck if i was a high lvl, it would totally discourage me from trying to help ano person. not that i bother to help newbie. in my opinion you were the one who was rude to the high lvl guy.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”