MR Opinion

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Yarash
Sojourner

MR Opinion

Postby Yarash » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:09 am

I could have sworn there was an MR post, but I can't find it.

I prefer the old MR output. Here's why:
1. Previously you could judge the mob's MR based on how often the spell was shrugged. I even had triggers to keep track of the shrugs to gague the mob's average MR rating. You can no longer do this as far as I can tell.
2. Previously other people could see when a mob shrugged spells.
3. It is spammier now; spells cast on mobs with MR now show twice as many lines of text.

If the idea was to take away information from players, then I see the reason for doing this.

Otherwise I would like to offer a suggestion:
1. Change it back.
2. If it has to be this way, perhaps make it so you can see if the mob has MR based on their desc, not through combat spam. For example, you'd look at the mob and see "(mob) has a glowing aura about it.", rather than double the number of lines of spell text.

Comments are welcome, and a link to any other posts on this.

- Mike
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:32 am

ill say i dont like the door that was opened when pc's could have mr. just to add another complaint :-P
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.
Teba tells you 'let me do my job you volo twinker!'
Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:37 am

I see good and bad with the change. Here's my POV.

It's nice that MR now reduces damage, but I feel overall it is a step in the wrong direction on where spell damage needs to go. Instead of making magical damage less powerful, it's made it more reliable and therefore more powerful.

Yes, the spam is horrible. Try casting minute meteors at a mob with MR. Gag! I sure wish this spam had been entered in as a controllable option within Tog Condensed settings.

The old system was like how invoker procs are. If you got it off, you were like WAHOO! It went thru! It was a downright surprise on some high MR mobs. That was nice. Now.. you know all your spells are doing damage, just gotta cast more and more of them. Now instead of shooting the Cobra Helicopter with your RPG and maybe missing a few times and then finally landing, you can just shoot a constant stream at it with your M16, and after a few clips, it'll blow up.

A tad less glamorous feeling.

Here's what I'd like to see done:

Restore the old MR system, and take the New one and make it into RM (Reduce Magic) aspect. This would allow mobs to have MR that can allow them to shrug a spell entirely (and give the appropriate message), AND be able to have the ability to just reduce the magical damage that does get thru their MR (that doesn't give any messages, it's effectively like an addition to a saving throw in a sense).

If Illusionists can lower a mobs MR, and we have RM as well, I'd like to see Banshee Wail reduce RM on mobs.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:49 pm

I like the new system.

1. the average damage didn't change (if 90% MR meant 90% of spells shrugged and 90% now means 90% of damage is blocked.)

2. It takes emphasis off invokers for MR fights and 1 spell out fights against MR. high MR basically meant get more invokers in your group.

3. It starts to broaden the melee niche.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:33 am

Thanks for the feedback.

1) I will change it to be less spammy. I anticipated that being a problem but wanted to try it out the way it is now first. I like the idea of a visual cue that everyone can see by looking, glancing, considering, or a similar action.

2) PC's have their MR capped very low. MR can give PC's a little edge, but they will never approach the levels that mobiles can have.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:05 am

I do like the idea that we have to watch a mobs condition a bit to see if our spells are working on it. Even the big ones that tke a while, I think it gives us something to learn... Already we have an idea from the prevous MR system of how MR different races and mobs generally are, this is just a different way of doing it I guess...

Perhaps spells could have 2 messages, in order to keep MR output from the mud on one line.

Your flaming cabbage slams into a big fat goat.

Your flaming acorn slams into a big fat goat however is partially resisted.

...ideas ideas :)
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:18 pm

Another issue is when the message is coming up when you're poisoned.

Getting both the message to self *and* the message to the room.

Just a small note.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”