Eq-wipe experiment

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Corth
Sojourner

Eq-wipe experiment

Postby Corth » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:05 am

I don't think this has a shot in hell of actually happening.. but I thought i'd just throw it out there.

What do you all think about the idea of say one week where we have a complete eq-wipe.. just to see how it goes. At the end of the week, we can take a poll and if some agreed upon percentage of us (65%? 75%?, whatever) feel that it should be permanent, then so be it. If not, then we just revert back to the old equipment.

My feeling is that at worst, its a fun diversion similar to Imphras' naked week that they all seemed to enjoy. At best, if the players agree to make it permanent, it might clean out the system a bit... give lower level players a reason to do neglected low level areas for.. hot damn.. actual equipment that they will use. Make easier high level zones relevant again.

If made permanent, I'd also consider giving the players a challenge, with a nice reward to make it worth their while to try and achieve it. Perhaps.. everone in the first group to complete bronze citadel after the eq-wipe gets a unique item.

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:25 am

Eq wipe solves nothing and destroys playerbase. This idea is flushed. *flush*
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:31 am

If they did snuff eq, I'd like them to re-evaluate RIPPLING sword and other pain in the ass eq to get before this occurs. Now that dragons are more pimp than Snoop Dogg, consideration thereof would be great :P
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:15 pm

Wouldn't you be a little chilly sitting naked around WD, Corth? Instead of trying to create your ideal conditions to come back and play the game, why not just play the game as it is for a change and try to enjoy it?
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:21 pm

Instead of a full equipment wipe, I'd rather see some kind of eq loss factor added to the game.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:52 pm

Jhorr wrote:Wouldn't you be a little chilly sitting naked around WD, Corth? Instead of trying to create your ideal conditions to come back and play the game, why not just play the game as it is for a change and try to enjoy it?

Jhorr,

There are no ideal conditions for me to come back. I won't be coming back under any conditions. Now that I'm married and have my own business, there just simply are not enough hours in the day. How about rather than making it about me, you discuss the idea that was presented?

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:24 pm

8)

Let's add in mobs that proc delete.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:45 pm

Corth,

With Tiamat on the horizon, not really interested in re-EQ'n myself. Honestly, yes, I'm STILL trying to get the things a couple of my chars could really use. There is a lot of stuff from zones that went in over the last year that I don't even have. This is just my p.o.v. *shrug* Basically my quest to get gear is still pretty much in full swing.

Ashiwi/Yaya/et all,

Middle of last year I was very interested in building a zone. One of the things I wanted to do, was allow some mobs to cast Disintegrate again. Shar told me no, because a lot of players would be upset by this.

Well, it's been almost a year now, so I'm curious of the following: Has the mud changed honestly enough that we'd want mobs able to destroy some of our equipment? Or Rhemo's able to swallow some of it along with our corpses, or even great purple worms? Or are people going to demand some kind of !destroy flag added to certain items (which no doubt lead to them wanting it on everything they have they like)?

Or would we, with so much abundant equipment, just wear our backup gear when going into zones that have mobs that can destroy eq, so it's not so bad when you loose something?

I think if I was aware of a change like this to a zone, I'd be able to handle it and prepare myself accordingly. What about the rest of you? Please think about it, and be honest. Don't rush to answer, really think about it realistically.
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:53 pm

My only thoughts on an eq wipe is this...

You wanna wipe your eq, go pond it. You have your challenge then and you don't interrupt anyone's playing. Simple enough I think.

Plus wiping eq will never help in the long run...it will just put everyone back in terms of time invested and new players will still be lagging behind. We'd all eventually either re-equip or retire. Wiping eq with the pbase the way it is will never help. Either will mobs which destroy eq since the time invested issue would arise again. I won't ever being top end items to zones where I may lose it. I don't want to spend years to re-equip again. I'd retire and I'd be willing to bet the majority of us would as well.
Meatshield
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:44 pm

* corth *

first, significant risk that a lot of people may not feel like playing all week during your experiment. This creates a significant chance that some people will continue not playing after the week is over because they got out of habit of playing. perhaps good for the person, but bad for the size of the pbase.

second, the people who are currently playing have found something they enjoy / want to play for.... those that couldnt stand it anymore mostly have quit playing. Perhaps more than a lot of their reasons for staying focus around eq... questing, pleveling alts. an eq wipe has potential to wipe out a lot of time investment (i have more time invested in eq than chars easily and i have a shit load of characters) and generate negative reactions at a very personal level, like a personal FU from the immorts after being promised no eq/pwipe ever.

Unless you could quantify a true plus, i can't see how we can even begin to consider running such an experiment. If there were 50 people who said I'd come back and play if there was an eq wipe... perhaps it would warrant real consideration.

* llaaldara *

the only way i would do a zone with disintegrating mobs is if i was wearing soloable eq or naked... if i got surprised and had my bag or something like a surtur disintegrated if be F***n^100 pissed at the staff and the moron who wrote the zone.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:56 pm

we cant just continuosly wipe the mud. also god already said no more wipes.
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:05 pm

Personally, I wouldnt mind seeing a complete Pwipe, but I know that I'm in the VAST minority on that one, so I dont let it bother me and continue playing happily.

An eq wipe is just pointless. Within 24 hours, all the eq whores would be re-equipped - definitely not with the same spanky eq, but would have a full set of decent eq. All of a sudden, even the lower level eq gets hoarded as well as the high level stuff, so the new players are set even further back.
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:13 pm

Jhorr wrote:
Wouldn't you be a little chilly sitting naked around WD, Corth? Instead of trying to create your ideal conditions to come back and play the game, why not just play the game as it is for a change and try to enjoy it?

Jhorr,

There are no ideal conditions for me to come back. I won't be coming back under any conditions. Now that I'm married and have my own business, there just simply are not enough hours in the day. How about rather than making it about me, you discuss the idea that was presented?

Corth

Point taken, Corth, and my apologies.

Wiping EQ would just force us all to rebuild. I'm not interested in rebuilding. I'm interested in moving forward.

While I don't think an EQ-wipe would fix anything, I do think that more EQ-sinks could be appropriate (e.g., quests that use lots of EQ for spells, special abilities, or special items). Muspelheim quests are one example of this...
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:14 pm

isn't a whore someone who gives away sex?

so shouldn't be come up w/ a better name

like eq-packrat

or eq-shopping cart pushing homeless person

sok
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:22 am

Teflor is Pro-Delete Proc'ing mob.
Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:59 am

Lahgen thinks that Teflor suddenly thinks he's Dr. Doom or something.
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'
Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone
Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'

Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
Burmadapig
Sojourner

Postby Burmadapig » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:57 pm

On DAOC, equipment degraded through use by the amount of damage you took in addition to time passage. In the various zones in the game, there were smiths. You would bring your equipment to the smith and he would repair it for you for a price. If you didn't keep up with maintaining your equipment with the smiths, then the equipment would degrade to the point that it could no longer be repaired. Degradation of equipment was shown by a percentage and also by loss of certain stats on the the equipment until it was repaired. Once a piece of equipment reached 70%, it was no longer repairable and the stats would be at their lowest point. At that point, you would either have to replace the equipment or be satisfied with its degraded stats.

This might be something that could be implemented that would resolve equipment hording to some degree and provide some balance to the amount of equipment that actually stays in the game. Once a piece of equipment downgrades to the point that it can't be repaired any more, most people are going to go and get a new one and discard the old. Over time the areas/code gods can evaluate each zone and make tweaks to equipment and fights. I would much rather see a zone be upgraded and made more difficult than for equipment to be downgraded.
Cordan
Sojourner

Postby Cordan » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:04 pm

Wipe all inventories and storage.

That way everyone can hang on to their spanky stuff at least.

Well, you'd have to wipe out all containers too i guess, cuz people could hold the containers.

Of course, you'd have to stop char creation before you announced it, lol.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:04 pm

Burmadapig wrote:On DAOC, equipment degraded through use by the amount of damage you took in addition to time passage. In the various zones in the game, there were smiths. You would bring your equipment to the smith and he would repair it for you for a price. If you didn't keep up with maintaining your equipment with the smiths, then the equipment would degrade to the point that it could no longer be repaired. Degradation of equipment was shown by a percentage and also by loss of certain stats on the the equipment until it was repaired. Once a piece of equipment reached 70%, it was no longer repairable and the stats would be at their lowest point. At that point, you would either have to replace the equipment or be satisfied with its degraded stats.

This might be something that could be implemented that would resolve equipment hording to some degree and provide some balance to the amount of equipment that actually stays in the game. Once a piece of equipment downgrades to the point that it can't be repaired any more, most people are going to go and get a new one and discard the old. Over time the areas/code gods can evaluate each zone and make tweaks to equipment and fights. I would much rather see a zone be upgraded and made more difficult than for equipment to be downgraded.

On DAOC, do most people have 2-6 chars they normally play, or just the one?
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:15 am

ick must finish quests :-P
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'
Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'
Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'
Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Deshana
Sojourner

Postby Deshana » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:52 am

teflor the ranger wrote:Teflor is Pro-Delete Proc'ing mob.

two words

Book Worms
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Re: Eq-wipe experiment

Postby Shevarash » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:21 pm

Corth wrote:I don't think this has a shot in hell of actually happening..

I agree with this part. :)

There are other and better ways to address the issue than a heavyhanded and unexplainable eq-wipe.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:40 pm

Fair enough.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:24 pm

WoW has enchanting/disenchanting to get rid of most items. Also, items at high levels sell for 1-8g (8g being weapons). People actually sell items to get more currency to buy things like epic mounts. Unfortuntaely, Toril has no good plat sink.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:23 pm

I is a good platinum sink. give to me!
Burmadapig
Sojourner

Postby Burmadapig » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:51 am

On DAOC you could have up to 8 characters per account. A lot of people had multiple accounts. Multiplaying was allowed if you had more than one account. DAOC is a pay service, so their guidelines are different. I'm not in favor of multi.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:03 am

Dalar wrote:WoW has enchanting/disenchanting to get rid of most items. Also, items at high levels sell for 1-8g (8g being weapons). People actually sell items to get more currency to buy things like epic mounts. Unfortuntaely, Toril has no good plat sink.

depends on your server's economy, but on proudmoor 8g is a level 30 blue weapon nowadays, and it's only getting higher.

i have an ardent custodian on my 40 shaman (gave up 40 rogue, dime a dozen in that game) which i got for a good deal - 50g, at level 37. however i saw a level 45 epic axe with so-so stats going for 250g...and someone had bid on it!!

gold farming by some of the unscrupulous chinese companies dedicated to such actions is pushing inflation to the point that sooner than later gold will mean jack, whereas on daoc only hardcore crafters had any amount of plat to speak of even after 3 years.
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:49 pm

You all play too many wierd games and should concentrate all your time on this one. =)

That said, I like llaaldaras ideas about eq sinks. Eq death by disintigration is fine by me. Also, more mobs that actually eat eq, like the tarrasque. (purple worm should be exactly like this). And what I would really love to see, is mobs that loot your corpse when you die and wear the eq. Not all mobs, mind you. But tough/intelligent mobs in high zones.
Also, dragons should have improved bite, where they could take an arm, or your head, or the whole upper torso....and all that eq would be in their gut. That would be neat. Having imped this, i would increase rare load rates a tad or more.

Also, ive played a mud where eq got worn down constantly. Yeah, great plat sink. Also, HIGHLY annoying and time consuming. Hated it. Just my two bits.
kanenan
Sojourner

Postby kanenan » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:57 pm

talking about eq dissolve, inv wipes, item wipes, etc...

still waiting for these same peaople to risk a death or two to try dragons.

funny ironies.. ahhhhh
stuff.
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:29 pm

I'm always up for a dragon fight.

In related (sort of) news:

I've led Choking Palace 2 nights straigh now, as well, with no guaruntee that it's all working properly. Call me crazy, but risk is what makes the game fun. Hell, after we all got spanked last night, I said I was going to keep leading it every boot, tweaking strategy, until I get it right. And the entire group said they were in for the next round.

Just my 2 cents, but I'll keep doing things simply BECAUSE they are challenging. I enjoy the challenge and the adventure and the sweat flying from my fingers cuz i'm typing so fast.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:06 pm

People that stay don't want a harder game. That's why they don't go places when there is not a <90% chance of returning with more than they went in with. It seems that fun has taken a back seat to the aquisition of EQ. Yeah, I hear people say it's the lack of time and that zones take hours and hours and they can't really deal with a CR on top of the actual zone time. Well, some of you people play for 6+ hours a day. Bump up the corpse rot time and quit crying. The only time I had fun in the last 6 months I played was when we would do zones with minimal amounts of people. Plat means nothing...only EQ. There is no economy or any intention of doing anything to create one. This game is now, and will probably always be about the EQ, not fun. So, Corth, while this might add fun, people don't want it.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”