The Merger - Characters

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Dalar
Sojourner

The Merger - Characters

Postby Dalar » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:49 pm

So Homeland and Toril merged, but Homeland people don't get their characters here. Why not? Because it was easier? Why not let them bring over _one_ character and set them to level 47 or something reasonable.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:57 pm

I don't think it would be a bad idea to allow them roll up a level 1 class of their choice, depending on what they played on Homeland (caster = caster, melee = melee), and let the staff level it up to the level of the character they played on Homeland, or maybe five levels less to give them a chance to catch up to the different skills and spells. Tweaking each of the skills would be a lot of work for every player, unless there's a process that could raise their skills up to a percentage of level max.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:14 pm

I agree - kinda sucks that not only are the Homeland players coming over with no eq, but they also have to start as a complete newbie here.

On that note, if you are a Homeland player and need or want help, look me up in game and I'll do what I can for you.

Rer/Sakor/Herin/Lerer/Imo
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:36 pm

Weren't more than half of the homeland players previous toril players? They already have characters here. Its not like we merged with
a completely different mud. Its not like they are starting out completely new. Its not like they don't have friends here. I'm sure there are a couple of people who never played toril, but id wager its under 5.

also, there was little time investment in exp on homelands. there was also rampant afk botted exp and worse. I gained like 3 levels (25ish-30ish) doing one zone with 50s....
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:59 pm

Does it really matter if they have characters here? I don't need a char, but to someone who had only played Homeland is completely screwed.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:45 am

If a person hasn't played here, they really should learn the game rather than having their level set to 50.

- Mike
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:37 am

Neither the HL or Toril staffs could think of a fair way to do it. The exp on HL was vastly different, the classes/kits/races don't match up, the equipment obviously doesn't match, the pfiles don't match up, etc etc.

Further, how would we determine who would or wouldn't get a transition character? Only people who don't have characters here? That's a big hassle to figure out, and is it really fair to the people who have characters here but don't play them?

This is the simplest, fairest solution. I know, having to exp up from scratch sucks, but I am sure there are lots of people here willing to help the displaced HL players do so.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:26 am

Put yourself in their shoes.

"All the work you've done in the past 2 years is gone. If you want, there's another MUD just like this but it takes 6-10 days of playtime to hit 50 again! They even have the same zones!" Homeland had forums. You could just put up a thread asking who wants to be switched over naked, but with a few levels. Double check the character and you're set.

Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:40 pm

While I can sympathize with the Homeland players as I was a player not just an owner, I think for many of the players it will actually be a good thing to go through the effort to level up, relearn the game, and get into the swing of things again.

Also consider that myself, Vhaeraun, Mielikki, and Lathander all started out here as low level staff, and have to earn our levels too. I'd rather it be this way too because nobody on Toril can ever say that we didn't earn our keep when we do get some levels.

There's no doubt in my mind that the players that came over from Homeland are some of the brightest, damn good players that you're going to find on a MUD, and because of this they will excel at whatever they do, however they do it.
Vaprak, the Destroyer
-Formerly Tempus of HomelandMUD -- pre-merger
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:51 pm

dang, and i was hoping to get a free ride w/ some my of char. oh well back to the drawing board.
Baikalisan
Sojourner

Postby Baikalisan » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:53 pm

I would absolutly love to have all my, or even one of my characters from Homeland converted to Toril. But then again, i have a couple of level 50s here already so its not like its a big issue the only thing i am really losing is the time and experience i put into them since the mud opened years ago.

As for the people who didnt have a character here... Maybe setting them to say level 20 would be ok, but in truth i agree with Yarash, Leveling up on toril is a totally different experience from Homeland. The practiced skills, the knowledge you gain from wandering around looking for the zones and walking to them is needed on Toril. Just the other day i met a level 49 player (Evil) who COULD NOTwalk from dk to the road crossing north of WD ..... this is pretty damn sad. IMHO this is alot of what is wrong with toril.. nobody does anything for themselves. They rely on the coat tails of more experienced players and never learn anything for themselves.

I remember the first time i walked to SplitShield by myself, YEARS ago, i was level 10 looking around for something new to kill .. i was so proud when i found it lol ... alot of players today dont even know what SS is, let alone how to get there...

i dunno, the moral to my story is stop worrying about who is "getting the shaft" and worry about learning them in the ways of this mud.. all the Homeland players are willing to start from scratch here if need be... and if they need help, just give me a yell and ill help :)
Baikalisan Terrorforge - Valsharess Elg'caress -
fotex
Sojourner

Postby fotex » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:26 am

Baikalisan wrote:IMHO this is alot of what is wrong with toril.. nobody does anything for themselves. They rely on the coat tails of more experienced players and never learn anything for themselves.

Oh please. This happens on ANY mud. It all depends on the player. If the player is worth his beans, he will know the road.

There are other bigger things you can whine about Toril :wink:
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:59 pm

Well, my take is that there should be some 'bone' to be tossed out there for them. Our PBase certainly needs some oomph. Even granting level 15 or whatever? Make them take a test on the helpfiles and they graduate to level 15 :P
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:18 pm

That was my thoughts. It certainly wouldn't hurt us to allow them to come over with a little bit of a bonus tossed to them. It's frustrating to put all that work into something, then just lose it. I know characters are easier to level on Homeland, which is why I figured they could get up to a percentage of levels back instead of all the way to 50.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Eza
Sojourner

Postby Eza » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:12 pm

I agree with letting those of us who played on Homeland to keep at least one of our characters. I have, sorry HAD, quite a few higher level characters. Just because you guys decided to merge doesn't mean we should have to lose all that work we did. Which trust me, despite the fact that the leveling was easier than Toril, was still quite a bit of work. I'd be willing to lose 5 levels off one character and all her eq just to be able to keep her. I don't think that's too unreasonable. It's a hell of a lot better than feeling like I wasted my entire time on Homeland.
Holding this in mind
That if we fall, we all fall
And we fall alone
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:29 pm

Wtf is the big deal?

Give them their character here as a level one. Let them have same attributes/name/class (if possible) and nothing else. No quest spells, no bank accounts, no equipment. Oh what? You're seriously gonna tell me about all the 'hard work' they put into their char on Homeland after just sitting there and telling us all how frigging easy it was to level up and zone?

Whatever.
Eza
Sojourner

Postby Eza » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:46 pm

If we wanted the same char at level 1 we could just roll them here. The point is that this merger is being forced on players of Homeland and we lose everything. Easy or not, we did still actually do work for it. It's the principle of the thing.
Holding this in mind

That if we fall, we all fall

And we fall alone
Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:11 pm

Llaaldara wrote:Wtf is the big deal?

Give them their character here as a level one. Let them have same attributes/name/class (if possible) and nothing else. No quest spells, no bank accounts, no equipment. Oh what? You're seriously gonna tell me about all the 'hard work' they put into their char on Homeland after just sitting there and telling us all how frigging easy it was to level up and zone?

Whatever.

Leveling was easier(faster), but not easy and generally not gotten from mindless hours of doing Druid Sanc exp like it is here. Exp there was best gotten through fighting aggro mobs, in zones and actually using your skills.

Zoning was definately not easier. Here Jot takes an hour if you mess up. There it could take as long as 3-4 hours to do the full zone. I wouldn't necesarily call that easy zoning.
Vaprak, the Destroyer

-Formerly Tempus of HomelandMUD -- pre-merger
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:04 pm

Thanks for the clarification Vap. Was irritating the bejesus outa me to hear folks talk about how easy Homeland was and then want free levels/eq here.

If it was the other way around, and Toril folks were being moved to Homeland, I'd just be happy being able to get the same names approved. My chars, for the most part, suck stat wise, and I'd relish the opportunity to make a new and improved Sesexe or Llaaldara. I'm dead serious.

No I wouldn't want my chars just shoved over to the other mud. Cuz we done that before when Miax split and had his own gig for a little. It was boring having everything, even artifacts handed to you. No challenge. Boo.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:53 pm

Homeland was easy? The first couple of months it wasn't. Dragons were a bitch, imix took at 15+ crew almost an hour to take down, and people couldn't level due to exp caps. I'd say that the first few months of Homeland is one of the best MMO experiences I ever experienced.

sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:21 am

i had it easy. sit while oo9 lured most of the mob from that zone and they smite them. gain 2 lvls and wait for pop.

i'm a spoil brat.

but on toril i have to create auto-assist trigger. that took a little bit more effort.

sok
lazy cleric guild of america

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”