Another auction issue.

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Vahok
Sojourner

Another auction issue.

Postby Vahok » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:38 pm

OK, I'm sure most of us have noticed the extreme increase in eq sold in shops being resold at auction for a profit. True, if people are silly to buy these items it is their own fault for getting ripped off. But can we flag eq sold in shops as !sell or something? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think taking advantage of ignorance ain't cool. Also, the spam of these items is getting to be a bit much as well.

Hopefully the imms look into this or the offenders stop. Thanks in advance...
Meatshield
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:19 am

It's a free market economy. We, the merchants of the great House of Three West pride ourselves in customer service, convenience, and satisfaction.

I provide free identification services, no risk returns, and instruction on how to best use our products. For that we charge a measly 10% margin of profit - even less for our volume and preffered customers.

Furthermore, we are a model of race-relations and forward thinking political tolerance. We provide the same exact services and products for members of all races, from the drow to the elves, the humans to the ogres with things they need, things they want, and things they cannot acquire for themselves.

I agree there is potential for customer abuse, and blatant highway robbery in the market place, and propose and would support licensing for registered merchants of the market.

I also strongly suggest that a merchant house well experienced in these manners be allowed to regulate such market and licenses. Of course, to provide this service, the great House of Three West would require recompense at the equivilant of 5% of said licensing fees and registrations...

(check out our current auctions in Baulder's Gate or Viper's Tongue. mmail me if you have any questions or concerns)
fotex
Sojourner

Postby fotex » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:36 am

I'm gonna agree with Teflor here.

It's not worth the effort to police this. There's nothing wrong with it, except that it annoys you. And if you feel he's taking advantage of others' ignorance, go ahead and undercut his prices, or teach the buyers. At some point his profit margin will make it not worth his effort to sell this spam.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:24 am

There are always people who pay the premium for convenience and service. And really, this isn't a bad job either.
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:28 pm

Here's another thought on the matter...most items in RL have "not for resale" printed on them. If we wanna use the market idea..do you pay taxes on items? So, why does that not apply here?

Also Teflor if you enjoy being a merchant or trader, maybe private deals are more appropriate in this case. Shrug, true on free market, etc. but not sure if this helpful adding to spam.

Side note, I am usually more than willing to snag potions, etc for people who don't know where/unable to get them personally.
Meatshield
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:32 pm

Here's a thought to solve both problems...

Allow to sell potions in batches...

Example: auc 5 life price duration

So people bid on 5 potions at once this will reduce the spam and also still allow for merchants to continue business.

Pril
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:39 pm

Pril wrote:Here's a thought to solve both problems...

Allow to sell potions in batches...

Example: auc 5 life price duration

So people bid on 5 potions at once this will reduce the spam and also still allow for merchants to continue business.

Pril

Ahh, smart guy! Good call Pril...best of both worlds!
Meatshield
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:10 pm

Here's an idea... if you need Potions of Life, mmail Sakor - I'll catch you the next time I'm on, get your money, and charge you exactly what it costs me to buy them... thniking it's 30 plats. And I'll get you as many as you want.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:18 pm

rer wrote:Here's an idea... if you need Potions of Life, mmail Sakor - I'll catch you the next time I'm on, get your money, and charge you exactly what it costs me to buy them... thniking it's 30 plats. And I'll get you as many as you want.

It would cost you 25 if you were pretty rer, but yer ugly as all hell.

Pril
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:24 pm

And I'm surly.

Adding one Pril-Nut-Kick to my list of things to do when I get home from work today...
Duna
Sojourner

Postby Duna » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:57 pm

rer wrote:Here's an idea... if you need Potions of Life, mmail Sakor - I'll catch you the next time I'm on, get your money, and charge you exactly what it costs me to buy them... thniking it's 30 plats. And I'll get you as many as you want.

wow.. that's pricey.. I've gotten them for 20 plat.
"A true friend unbosoms freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, and continues a friend unchangeably." - William Penn
" I"m built for comfort not for speed. " - Carl on Jimmy Neutron.
shalath
Sojourner

Postby shalath » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:11 pm

Duna wrote:

Only when I made you beautiful m'dear! :-)

-akeb
[Profile edited by Board Admin. If you can't be civil, we'll fix it for you. -ed]
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:15 pm

shalath wrote:
Duna wrote:

-akeb

Akeb you make everyone beautiful by comparison? All you have to do is go into the shop before someone else and the shopkeeper will practically give stuff away to the next person who enters. The only person uglier than you is Rer.

Pril
shalath
Sojourner

Postby shalath » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:33 pm

Pril wrote:
shalath wrote:
Duna wrote:

-akeb

Akeb you make everyone beautiful by comparison? All you have to do is go into the shop before someone else and the shopkeeper will practically give stuff away to the next person who enters. The only person uglier than you is Rer.

Pril

Hey pwildo, you remember what I said to you in BC? Well I can't be bothered to type it all out again, so just go back in your logs and find it and consider it repeated please.

-akeb
[Profile edited by Board Admin. If you can't be civil, we'll fix it for you. -ed]
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:37 pm

shalath wrote:
Pril wrote:
shalath wrote:
Duna wrote:

-akeb

Pril

Hey pwildo, you remember what I said to you in BC? Well I can't be bothered to type it all out again, so just go back in your logs and find it and consider it repeated please.

-akeb

Rofl :p
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:44 pm

shalath wrote:
Pril wrote:
shalath wrote:
Duna wrote:

-akeb

Pril

-akeb

Wow... I sense some animosity there... I remember what was said, and can remind you later if needed Pril...
Duna
Sojourner

Postby Duna » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:53 pm

shalath wrote:

-akeb

I thought that was our little secret hon? :P
"A true friend unbosoms freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, and continues a friend unchangeably." - William Penn
" I"m built for comfort not for speed. " - Carl on Jimmy Neutron.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:59 pm

Akeb and Agor... they were meant for each other, I swear.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:00 pm

I agree! It's like the 3rd grader who pulls your hair on the playground cuz he likes you Akeb!!
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:41 pm

rer wrote:
shalath wrote:
Pril wrote:
shalath wrote:
Duna wrote:

-akeb

Pril

-akeb

Wow... I sense some animosity there... I remember what was said, and can remind you later if needed Pril...

kiryan was here.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:42 pm

kiryan wrote:
rer wrote:
shalath wrote:
Pril wrote:
shalath wrote:
Duna wrote:

-akeb

Pril

-akeb

kiryan was here.

Woot! We're getting another one of those cool quote trees!!!
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:05 pm

rer wrote:
kiryan wrote:
rer wrote:
shalath wrote:
Pril wrote:
shalath wrote:
Duna wrote:

-akeb

Pril

-akeb

kiryan was here.

Woot! We're getting another one of those cool quote trees!!!

Why did the other one stop?

Pril
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:17 am

Vahok wrote:Here's another thought on the matter...most items in RL have "not for resale" printed on them.

Not if you buy them even cheaper for wholesale. And then resell them.

Pwned.

Btw, this argument carries about as well as gasoline sale prices.
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:15 pm

Whatever Teflor. How about killing mobs for the HUGE amount of plats you must be making with this auction idea?
Meatshield
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:56 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:
Vahok wrote:Here's another thought on the matter...most items in RL have "not for resale" printed on them.

Not if you buy them even cheaper for wholesale. And then resell them.

Pwned.

Btw, this argument carries about as well as gasoline sale prices.

How exactly does one buy "Wholesale" in Toril? Is there a warehouse by the docks somewhere? Do the potions magically "fall off the back of a horse drawn cart?"

Your argument is invalid in context Teflor.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:06 pm

No, it's not. He was talking about resale in IRL.

He mentioned that many products say "not for resale".

I merely pointed out that many products don't.

You however, have pointed out something about you entirely unrelated.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:07 pm

Vahok wrote:Whatever Teflor. How about killing mobs for the HUGE amount of plats you must be making with this auction idea?

I have made quite a bit. And some of the potions I sell do have to have mobs killed to obtain. Don't tell me you've never auctioned something and tried to make money.

Something smells hippocritical.
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:15 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:
Vahok wrote:Whatever Teflor. How about killing mobs for the HUGE amount of plats you must be making with this auction idea?

I have made quite a bit. And some of the potions I sell do have to have mobs killed to obtain. Don't tell me you've never auctioned something and tried to make money.

The Big V is just pointing out that buying a potion for 25 plats, and selling it for 30, is not exactly a huge profit margin. On the other hand, zoning for eq and selling each item for 500 plats, with no out of pocket expense, is a big profit.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:19 pm

rer wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:

The Big V is just pointing out that buying a potion for 25 plats, and selling it for 30, is not exactly a huge profit margin. On the other hand, zoning for eq and selling each item for 500 plats, with no out of pocket expense, is a big profit.

OMG! Do you people even think before making posts? Look Rer generally yer post would make perfect sense, BUT you forget that he's a ranger and therefore doesn't zone.

Pril
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:23 pm

If Teflor's taken it upon himself to expand certain markets outside of their present parameters, then that is his option until the staff tells him otherwise. In all honesty, he's stepping on my toes, somewhat, but as far as I can tell it's within his rights to do so and I won't hold it against him. I wouldn't expect him to defer to me, just as I hope he wouldn't expect me to defer to him.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Nekelet
Sojourner

Postby Nekelet » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:40 pm

I seriously don't see a problem here.
If it's spam you're concerned about, try something on the lines of
#trig {(*)teflor(*)potion} {#gag}

(no {(*)teflor(*)} jokes pls :P)
Jenera
Sojourner

Postby Jenera » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:29 pm

You could always turn auction channel off if you don't like the spam.
And most people are buying Teflor's potions and whatever he posts on the auction because they don't want to go all the way to GN to buy a potion, then run to MH, then run down to Scorn, then WD, etc. ad infinitum.
Can't exactly tell Teflor he's annoying when the lazy people support him, right? :P
Memorable Quotes from TorilMUD Gathering 2006

Sotana sez, 'I'll take it dirty.'
Teflor sez, 'Bobo, show me on the doll where the barbarian touched you.'
Duna sez, 'Is there anything else that needs to go in my backend?'
Pril sez, 'I'm too pretty to go to jail.'
Boboloppe sez, 'The only reason I joined Imphras was because of Sotana's ass.'
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:33 pm

Pril wrote:OMG! Do you people even think before making posts? Look Rer generally yer post would make perfect sense, BUT you forget that he's a ranger and therefore doesn't zone.

Pril

See, Pril's the bright one amongst you. He's got it on the head. By the way, I'm making decent enough plats to continue.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:34 pm

Ashiwi wrote:If Teflor's taken it upon himself to expand certain markets outside of their present parameters, then that is his option until the staff tells him otherwise. In all honesty, he's stepping on my toes, somewhat, but as far as I can tell it's within his rights to do so and I won't hold it against him. I wouldn't expect him to defer to me, just as I hope he wouldn't expect me to defer to him.

FREE POTION TO ASHIWI :P:P:P
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:34 pm

Jenera wrote:You could always turn auction channel off if you don't like the spam.
And most people are buying Teflor's potions and whatever he posts on the auction because they don't want to go all the way to GN to buy a potion, then run to MH, then run down to Scorn, then WD, etc. ad infinitum.
Can't exactly tell Teflor he's annoying when the lazy people support him, right? :P

FREE POTION TO JENERA!!!! :P:P:P

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”