reimbursing arrows lost due to crash

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
kiryan
Sojourner

reimbursing arrows lost due to crash

Postby kiryan » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:33 pm

so is it true that you have a reasonable chance of getting arrows reimbursed if it crashes while your fighting?
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:05 pm

I have to say the erase spell was pretty cool to reverse book damage - can we do something about crash arrow losses now pls?
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:14 am

maybe there is a way to tie a specific number of arrows to your character, like 500 or something. That way if there is a crash, there is a way for your arrows to be tracked. If you get better arrows then what you already have, then they would take the place of lesser arrows in your quiver.

It would be pretty feasable to start all rangers off with 500 of those crappy arrows in their quiver, and as they buy/find/quest for better ones, they replace the lesser ones. Of course you'd need to have a cut and dry way to rank the arrows.
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:57 pm

That and combine 2 of the best quivers in the game, considering there isn't a quiver out there that holds 500 arrows...
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:02 pm

Then lower the number, the number isn't important rer, that can always be changed at a later time. It's the idea that's important, and then how 'bout this, offer a quest to allow the ranger to carry more arrow, start out at level 1 with 50, and it goes up from there.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:15 pm

Why not implement a system that works a lot like pet storage?

If you have arrows lurking about the mud during a reboot/crash, they could be recovered at your local fletcher. Of course, this means DK would need a damn fletcher shop finally. :)

"recoverlist"

Arrows currently stored:

1) a black shafted elven arrow (73)
2) a sandstorm arrow (4)
3) a black arrow with orcish runes (40)

recover 1

You load 73 a black shafted elven arrow into a deerskin quiver.

recover 2

You load 4 a sandstorm arrow into a deerskin quiver.

recover 3

You fill a deerskin quiver with only 23 a black arrow with orcish runes, leaving 17.

My thoughts!

Deathmagnet
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:52 pm

Here's a thought - flag arrows the same way BC daggers are, where they reappear in your inventory after a crash.

(Thanks Pril for having tested that with the BC Dagger!!)
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:41 pm

or just log when you shoot arrows and when you recover them much the same way that there is a get / drop log.
Deltin
Sojourner

Postby Deltin » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:13 pm

why just arrows? I'm sure someone must have fumbled a nice weapon and lost it due to a crash. Would other weapons get replaced as well?
Branthur
Sojourner

Postby Branthur » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:37 pm

Deltin wrote:why just arrows? I'm sure someone must have fumbled a nice weapon and lost it due to a crash. Would other weapons get replaced as well?

Umm..because you can prevent fumbling (ie curse item), while the usage of arrows essentially requires you to "fumble" your arrows?

Just sayin...
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:19 pm

Agreed Bran. A wielded weapon can be cursed or flagged !drop, but arrows must be dropped. Therefore, not really sure that melee weapons should be reimbursed due to crash loss.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:32 am

If arrows were awarded at 25x their present rate then losing them wouldnt be as big of an issue.

Consider how much effort it takes to collect 100, 4 per boot arrows? How about 100 PI bolts... Now compare that to gythka or even twilight.

Also, consider what % of the time are weapons on the ground vs what % of time are your arrows in a mob inventory. From the second you start archering you have assets at risk stuck in a mob inventory growing at a rate of 3 per round until you kill it. With melee weapons your weapon is on the ground maybe on average 1 round a fight... still a risk but no were close to as consistently at risk as archery.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:30 am

Can we have collect gather broken arrows as well? It's a bit easier than sorting out who's arrows are who's after they're repaired/
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:36 am

About the availability of arrows.

It's odd that in the process of gaining four good arrows, I tend to break/lose four good arrows.

:\
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:32 am

Rangers should be allowed to repair their arrows.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:38 pm

Repair arrows, yes... repair the magic on the arrows? No.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:46 pm

You mean repair, like take the broken arrows to the fletcher in the back room of the shop, and type buy repair broken?
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:19 pm

Just tossing a bone out to the bonehead class most people could give a rat's ass for :P It sucks being a ranger. I have never played the class. This is what I see: Lost arrows, low group invites, very limited skills to offer, pathetic soloability, Unstoppable 1w defense. Considering an eq load for a ranger is just 4 arrows, that's just sad. Is there any hope for the ranger class anyway? Just wondering how many more years ppl will complain about it and be ignored. Several new players in the last 2 months were asking me which class to play and so forth. With my prejudice from the players who DO use a ranger, I never promote 'danger rangers'. *shrug*
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:55 pm

I don't know if it's done like this already, but what I'd like to see is magical items acting like magical items. Why do magic arrows break so easily? Arent' magical items supposed to explode or backlash on the user when they break? Okay, so I'm not sure I'd want to see them exploding, but I wouldn't mind seeing a decreased chance of breakage on the blasted things.

If arrow breakage is dependant on a factor coded into the arrows, then it should also be dependant on the ranger's skill and level. If you combine a ranger's maxed skills with magically enhanced arrows, there really shouldn't be as much breakage as there is.

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:07 pm

Good point! It's funny..on a different note, I was playing BG2 again, and suddenly remember the protagonist morphing into the Slayer. Wouldn't it be cool if rangers could morph into something useful? :P

Oh, and out of the blue...just a given: Why, oh WHY can't rangers hide in nature? They're supposed to! *sigh*
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:53 am

rangers skills are underrated by the population. They do have their issues, and not many people know how to play them, but they do have their merits. If you were to give shields to all the BC mobs, rangers would outdamge rogues.

The biggest problem with rangers is loss of their valuable assets (arrows). This goes hand in hand with their issues with missile shield as expensive arrows are needed to counteract it. Expensive arrows in terms of time.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:26 pm

That's one of my biggest beefs about arrow breakage. The ones that take the most time to get, or that are the most powerful magically, shouldn't break unless they're in the hands of an unskilled archer. I don't think there should be NO chance of arrow loss, but with maxed skills arrow loss should be minimal.

Actually, what about this? Base breakage partially on skill and partially on arrow quality. At higher skills a ranger has a low chance of breakage, but code mob damage into the system so that a thrashing mob has a chance of breaking them. If the arrow is one of the more powerful magical arrows, then upon breakage it has a chance of doing extra damage to the mob. This way you could even create arrows that are crafted in order to break to do more damage (barbed, splintered, poisoned, blood-grooved, etc).

rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:42 pm

Ooooh... Cool idea Kelly!

Of course, this brings us back to Keanu's point that 4 good arrows per boot for at least 3 really active rangers, plus all the people with ranger alts who DONT play actively because of the difficulty in obtaining arrows doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Increase the number of decent arrows each boot!!
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:51 pm

Well...

7 per boot in one zone (4/4)
3 per boot in another (4/2)
Persistent repop throughout an entire boot in another, ranger-soloable zone (3/3)
Questable set in magma for an unknown number of arrows (5/5)
Randomload in demi for 8 arrows (3/3)
Chance for 5 to load in another zone (3/3)
Unknown quantity available in muspel as well (3/3)
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:40 pm

Sylvos wrote:Well...

7 per boot in one zone (4/4)
3 per boot in another (4/2)
Persistent repop throughout an entire boot in another, ranger-soloable zone (3/3)
Questable set in magma for an unknown number of arrows (5/5)
Randomload in demi for 8 arrows (3/3)
Chance for 5 to load in another zone (3/3)
Unknown quantity available in muspel as well (3/3)

Muspel has 4
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:43 pm

Izan's has 10, if you get that chest.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”