Blur

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Pabblep
Sojourner

Blur

Postby Pabblep » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:30 am

OK - Please don't flame the newb Illusionist but...

Why isn't Blur an Illusionist spell? It seems to be better suited to Illusionist class..

My thoughts are:

1. The primary reason Enchanters have Blur is that they were created first. Illusionists would have gotten it if they had been created at the same time.

2. Making it an Illusionist spell would save the Enchanters some 'spellup agony' in zones. Let Illusionists carry the load a little bit.

3. In FR it's an Illusionist spell. (I realize that the game is only BASED on FR)

I'm wondering what other Illusionists think...
Burmadapig
Sojourner

Postby Burmadapig » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:39 am

Sounds legit to me. It is an illusion that it produces.
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:17 am

it should just be removed altogether. illusionists have displace :-P
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.
Teba tells you 'let me do my job you volo twinker!'
Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'
Pabblep
Sojourner

Postby Pabblep » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:28 am

Gura wrote:it should just be removed altogether. illusionists have displace :-P

I agree Blur and Displace are similar illusions but they are different in use (at least here on Toril). Blur is an illusion that offers limited protection from both physical damage and spelldamage but lasts a long time (doesn't 'wear off' as it absorbs/shields from damage). Displace is more like stone/scales in that it offers greater protection but only from physical damage and it 'wears off' as it protects. It will expire due to use where Blur will not. At least I think that is how it works.

I think they are useful and complementary, not redundant. Both spells exist in FR, displace being the more powerful illusion. It seems that way on this mud too. The point is, aren't they both illusions? Wouldn't it be helpful to Enchanters to give Blur to Illusionists?
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:33 am

where the heck did you hear #1?

wouldnt mind seeing blur go. one less thing to cast.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:34 am

Illusionists being able to blur themselves on top of displace and mirror would be ridiculously powerful for them individually. They already pretty much can't be hit.

Chanter's don't have many facets to their job, giving one of their two main spells, and probably best tank spell, to another class would really undermine any reason to bring them to zones.

Even if it does sound like an illusion spell, sometimes we just have to bite the bullet for terms of gameplay / balance imho.

On a side note, rather than removing blur as Gura said, If AC was reduced drastically on caster items I think it would assist in 'balancing' blur and displace.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Pabblep
Sojourner

Postby Pabblep » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:34 am

Teyaha wrote:where the heck did you hear #1?

wouldnt mind seeing blur go. one less thing to cast.

I didn't hear it anywhere. It's just my opinion. :)
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:58 am

Hmm, being an enchanter I'd be upset if blur was removed from my class. However, from a balance perspective I can see it being a legit move. I remember doing ship xp and tanks telling me to blur them before stone. Apparently it is a great defensive spell for some reason. I see a possibility that this could become a quest spell for illusionists as a form of upgraded displace, sort of how dragonscales are an upgraded form of stone skin

Of course the spell would have to be re-coded, but if it was to move to the illusionist class I think that is how it should be done.

Does anyone know how blur works? Does the combat engine check for a successful hit, then roll against blur for a 20% or so chance that the attack missed, or does it do the miss calculation before the hit calculation?
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:37 pm

blur would not result in less invites for enchanters

blur would seriously make illusionists damn near unkillable (not that they already arent)

i'd vote with gura, remove it. Alternatively, i'd vote you just make stone not work on incorporeals and require enc to use use of blur instead. Scale/stone, powerful but doesnt work on incorporeal, displace less powerful but works on all, blur an enchanter spell less powerful than displace but works on incorporeal.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:39 pm

What Kiryan said. I never did understand how stoneskin and dscales works on a mob or PC who has no skin.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:54 pm

Why you gotta go dragging the shamans into this now?
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:52 pm

another idea....make blur !compatible with dscales. make people choose....stone and blur or dscales. would be fair imo.
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.

Teba tells you 'let me do my job you volo twinker!'

Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'
Pabblep
Sojourner

Postby Pabblep » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:27 pm

What if they gave Blur to Illusionists but made it incompatible with Mirror Image? That way Illusionists aren't any more powerful .... and Blur only gets used when zone groups drag along an Illusionist (not always, I bet).
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:48 am

Why wouldn't removing blur effect whether or not you bought an enchanter to your group? Id certainly be trying to bring ele's instead, with spells chipping at stone you want blur as your buffer in place, so if blur wasnt around you would really want tanks to be warded. Blur is one of the only spells chanters have that can't be replicated by another class. Scales if just a bigger version of stone, but essentially they both only block the little hits anyhow. Reduce is neat in some places.

Illusionists have displace, displace is awesome, they don't need blur aswell. Illusionists would be able to team up with rogues/rangers and displace/blur them.

If they made it so you could blur incorporal beings again you would have another bug to fix, the reason why it was taken out in the first place, it just doesn't fit with the blur spell.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:17 am

Blur and displace for illusionists? I want to work harder spelling up like I want another hole in my ass...
Meatshield
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:27 pm

You seem to want that every time you follow Pril, Hoax. :P
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:15 am

Do any of you people read help files? Blur is an enchantment, not an illusion. It works on the target itself, not by creating an illusion of said target.

!!x
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”