Stupid Rogue Mistakes - Help me compile a list pls

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Gizep
Sojourner

Stupid Rogue Mistakes - Help me compile a list pls

Postby Gizep » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:05 pm

I'm tired of finding crap out the hard way so here goes:

1) Never backstab Fierrosa in wd, especially in front of everyone.
2) Never backstab a shielded mob.
3) Only use your Mithril Lockpicks on stuff you know can be picked.
4) Check to make sure you ain't flying before dragging corpses.
5) Get a reduce if you are not supposed to be tripping so you can run like a girl when everything goes to hell.
6) Max sneak / hide before asking to go zoning.

Now these are my biggest mistakes I have made as a rogue, please help me stop making them by giving me warnings here.
As long as we live in this world we are bound to encounter problems. If, at such times, we lose hope and become discouraged, we diminish our ability to face difficulties. If, on the other hand, we remember that it is not just ourselves but everyone who has to undergo suffering, this more realistic perspective will increase our determination and capacity to overcome troubles.
-- The Dali Lama
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:03 pm

Don't use minor para poison when you're fighting with a group. Whatever you para will automatically switch to the next PC performing an aggressive move, which will often be the caster, and according to Murphy's Law it will be the caster with the fewest hps and the least amount of AC, who will then switch to you once they log back in.

If you tag something, stay hidden until the group is ready for whatever you're bringing.

Remember that you are capable of rescuing.

Try to learn where it would be prudent not to rescue.

Blind mobs won't switch to you when you backstab.

You will always be the last one doing damage when para wears off, so just get used to it.

If you're dumb enough to forego AC for hit/dam in hard-hitting zones and while soloing, well that's your own ass.

You will fail sneak and hide even when your skills are maxed... either learn how to run like a little girl or learn patience so you can get out the slow way. I suggest the patience in most cases... you should learn where it's prudent to take the little girl route.

Carry your own potions, just in case. Not all healers are capable of getting their entire vit list every time.

Carry a couple of disguise kits with you, until your skill is maxed. There are really, really bad places to fail a disguise attempt.

Don't lure crap out onto other people when you're soloing. Rogue exp is easy, so either take care of the problems you create one way or another, or don't bother getting into the situation in the first place.

Make sure you know the group's bash targets so you don't accidentally put your tank on his ass all the way through a fight. Unless it's Targsk, then plan your trips to give him maximum annoyance.

For cripe's sake, don't backstab mobs during massive fights then expect a warrior to rescue you when they SHOULD be rescuing the casters. You'd think that was common sense, right?

If you're not globed, don't go on a shielded mob unless you really trust your casters. Removing your primary weapon should be enough to keep you alive if you're already on one and your globe drops.

If a warrior's DI goes out while he's talking to you, he understands and asks for another. If a DI'able caster's DI goes out while he's talking to you, he automatically assumes you're hiding on him and you will have to vis to get him to respond.

Learn how to type "garrote stop" really quickly.

Go play with hide and different actions, so you can find out what will unhide you and what won't.

Looting a corpse will unhide you. If you're supposed to be staying hidden, don't go running in to leech experience then forget about your loot trigger. If the group-spanking mob two rooms away is tracking you, you can probably do without that little dab of kill experience.

Pay attention to your hiding at all times. You would not believe what the one little word 'hdie' did to my group one day when I didn't notice it.

Don't forget to clear your inventory after missile snare practice.

Detect/disarm traps practice is a total pain in the ass, so get used to it.

Try to keep spare wings/lightsource/pfg in storage... multiples, if possible (yes it's good for everybody to do this, but as a rogue you're going to need them MORE).

You've seen the cost of your supplies, so surely I don't need to mention the importance of ninja looting.

Learn to hate barbarians with that stupid shield-container and a fetish for their cinder block collection. If they don't understand how their load effects them, then leave them and their abominable fashion sense behind.

Just in case, clear your bags out on occasion, for when you have to loot that particular barbarian first so you can drag him.

If your load's not all that light then give somebody else your bag to hold, because the heavier your load is, the less you can drag.

Practice stealing on a horse; horses don't care.

Just because you're invisible and the mob doesn't DI doesn't mean he can't feel your fingers in his pockets if you screw up.

Always have somebody bigger than you who can back up what you're saying.

And always remember... when the world looks its bleakest and there's not a friend in sight... jingle your money bag and watch 'em come running.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:10 pm

Ashiwi wrote:
Learn to hate barbarians with that stupid shield-container and a fetish for their cinder block collection. If they don't understand how their load effects them, then leave them and their abominable fashion sense behind.

Just in case, clear your bags out on occasion, for when you have to loot that particular barbarian first so you can drag him.

Hrm. . .wonder if she means me :p
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:46 pm

-inv breaks hide

-glist breaks hide

-turn off your 'sends you sprawling' trigger when on magma

-doors that get auto-opened while tracking, break hide

-don't kill justice mobs in wd if maxler is in the room-he turns you in every time

-Elf rogues aren't real rogues, and often whine about barbarians with heavy loads...wear earplugs

-kaln is a paladin, not a cleric...act accordingly
Ihazim
Sojourner

Postby Ihazim » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:56 pm

- botting
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:02 pm

- if you've been in trouble before...even when you aren't botting, you are
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:04 pm

gsay and tell do not break hide

gcmd and reply DOES break hide act accordingly.

Don't try to doublestab para bloodless mobs it doesn't work :p
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:17 pm

You cannot steal Tiamat's key. Don't bother trying.

Don't forget to hide if yer an evil dwarf and hafta walk outta MH.

Don't get really drunk and forget yer an evil dwarf and try to walk outta MH.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:25 pm

Elves are real rogues, but...

Barbarians aren't real pretty.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
selerial
Sojourner

Re: Stupid Rogue Mistakes - Help me compile a list pls

Postby selerial » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:00 pm

Gizep wrote:1) Never backstab Fierrosa in wd, especially in front of everyone.

This sounds like something I'd want to see a log of. Sorry for the off topic post. ;+)
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:39 pm

[quote="Ashiwi"]Carry your own potions, just in case. Not all healers are capable of getting their entire vit list every time.
quote]

Don't hide during spell-up unless you have aggro's that the spell-up if for. It's had to vit/scale/globe/haste people who arent there.

Also, group heal hits you even hidden, so if you get mashed, stand with the shaman while hidden.
emote Rescuepractice
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:50 pm

1) not having 2 enchanted khanjaris
2) not having a stupid efhr for the extra proc.
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.
Teba tells you 'let me do my job you volo twinker!'
Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:02 pm

Gura wrote:1) not having 2 enchanted khanjaris
2) not having a stupid efhr for the extra proc.

get over it
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:18 pm

giggled over this thread :) thanks :)

I loooved when I forgot to globe Dajenken (sure did remember to haste :P:P:P:P).. and he sizzled on a fireshield .. we were on ship or something iirc

hehe sorry ken :P
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:09 am

Salen wrote:
Ashiwi wrote:Carry your own potions, just in case. Not all healers are capable of getting their entire vit list every time.
quote]

Don't hide during spell-up unless you have aggro's that the spell-up if for. It's had to vit/scale/globe/haste people who arent there.

Also, group heal hits you even hidden, so if you get mashed, stand with the shaman while hidden.

Bardsongs affect you when hidden (and grouped of course) as well.

Wow this is a cool thread.. - Ashiwi: so much cool info there, thanks!

It's wierd gsay and tell does not break hide yet gcmd and reply does!

Oh and that "sends you sprawling" trigger advice about magma zone really relates to a zone fault - that echo should never have made it through the testing process and needs to be removed or changed.
BEER
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Thu May 26, 2005 1:49 pm

Pril wrote:gsay and tell do not break hide

Guess what.. niether do blind poisons that I've noticed. :-/ Damn ferns.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Thu May 26, 2005 1:55 pm

Lilira wrote:

All bloodless mobs are imune to poisons, sorry had a specific incident that day so made a specific :p

Pril
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Thu May 26, 2005 1:57 pm

Pril wrote:
Lilira wrote:

All bloodless mobs are imune to poisons, sorry had a specific incident that day so made a specific :p

Pril

He's lying, this was news to him, he's just covering. :P
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Thu May 26, 2005 3:38 pm

lololololololol I can just imagine.

Oh,, here's a log I posted. This isn't a What not to do as a rogue, its actually a what NOT to do when you have a capable rogue in your group....

http://www.torilmud.dyndns.org/phpBB2/v ... 598#145598

:-)
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”