Unwanted

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Xeyal
Sojourner

Unwanted

Postby Xeyal » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:19 pm

This is a group oriented mud from what I understand. Different classes, working together, to achieve a common goal. I have been playing for two weeks now and have yet to group once. It's quite disheartening to ask someone who just passed you in scardale for a group, and they ignore you and kill the mob you have been working on for the past 20 minutes trying to kill. If I tell them the mob was mine they either tell me to "fuck off" or ignore me some more.

So I keep on trucking, not blaming the whole mud for a few bad experiences, kill a squirrel, get 5%, repray some spells, only to have someone come and wipe out everything in the area. So, I try and move to a new area, but even though some things con as a "perfect match", I get my ass kicked and die. So I go to look for my corpse, only to find its dark, and I could be walking over my body and not even know it. Then I wait for day to come, taking this time to smoke a cigarette cuz I'm beginning to get frustrated. I go and retrieve my corpse luckily, gotta keep the few items I have or I'm really screwed.

Even though I get no helpful response from the people cleaning up mobs at five times my pace in my zone, I take a look at the who list and wonder if I might get an answer from someone whos closest to my level for a group. With that strategy, I do get a response, but it usually goes something like this Player tells you 'I'm AFK if its important, leave a message.' or 'No thanks', which is the best reply I've gotten yet. I have to say, I've gotten more groups on a soloist mud than I have here.

As far as I can tell, I've been as nice and as corteous as I can be, I can't think of any reason why everyone would dislike me so. But then I look at the who list, and notice I'm the only real low level character online, and consider that maybe it's not just me.

I don't like coming to this mud and then ragging on it, but damn, starting out is a real chore so far. I've played pk muds that are easier. It's not fun, because as a new player here, you feel very unwanted.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:32 pm

If you nhc for help and nobody replies, just try 'who helper' and it'll list those who answer for nhc (in case the helpers are zoning and missed the NHC you posted). There are a ton of ppl anxious to keep new people feeling welcomed. I would gladly help out too!
Xeyal
Sojourner

Postby Xeyal » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:16 pm

Thilindel wrote:If you nhc for help and nobody replies, just try 'who helper' and it'll list those who answer for nhc (in case the helpers are zoning and missed the NHC you posted). There are a ton of ppl anxious to keep new people feeling welcomed. I would gladly help out too!

I don't need help with game mechanics. The help files do a great job of explaining most things. I need someone to group with, not someone to pat me on the back and say 'Welcome to Toril'. I appreciate it anyway, though.
Eshacin
Sojourner

Postby Eshacin » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:55 pm

Sounds like you had the bad luck to just meet rude people :(
There are nice ones too :D
If I see you on I'll log one of the low-level chars I've been meaning to train up for a while and come join you.
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:12 pm

And I think that many other players would do that same if they see you asking for a group over NHC. Keep on trucking. You've just had bad luck, as others have said, and I suspect your luck's about to change. The vast majority of our playerbase relishes the opportunity to bring up newbies.

Cyric
Teshidee
Sojourner

Postby Teshidee » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:57 pm

When i play there are no helpers, or they are afk. luckily i am not a newbie. *comf xeyal* also, a LOT of the high levels are perm afk or need forever to respond. luckily there are nice people, too, who help you out, though. comfies for the bad luck!
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:49 pm

Speaking of which, will the Helper issue ever be resolved in the near future?

I've been asking about becoming a Helper for some time now, and every time I ask I get a different response...Theres a bug preventing adding new helpers, the imm cant add me, there are too many helpers already, etc.

Whats really going on with this?
Vikaz
Sojourner

Postby Vikaz » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:07 pm

Botef wrote:Speaking of which, will the Helper issue ever be resolved in the near future?

I've been asking about becoming a Helper for some time now, and every time I ask I get a different response...Theres a bug preventing adding new helpers, the imm cant add me, there are too many helpers already, etc.

Whats really going on with this?

You would think that everyone would be able to be a helper. I really liked homeland's system, where everyone had access to NHC at all levels. Of couse, Toril is big on admin redtape, so I can't see that being implemented.
V
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:30 pm

We ran into some problems with people using NHC to insult or mislead newbies. Several other abuses as well, so we needed to control who had access to it who wasn't a new or low level player.

The hold on helper hiring is twofold. Threefold maybe even. Firstly, there are a lot of holdover helpers from past times. We'd like first to effect a purge of these old helpers, so our designated helpers are those this staff has appointed.

Secondly, we want to have some consistency with who has been invited to be a helper. A set of guidelines and structures that would govern the expectations of a helper. Nothing so stringent as 'never turn off nhc' like there used to be, but we haven't set out the guidelines yet. The staff member in charge of the helpers has been away, so we haven't been able to structure this plan yet.

Thirdly, a coded tool to enable helpers to be much more hands-on and personal when they wish, to make helping more personal and not so much a general channel. NHC would still exist, but helpers will have a couple of extra tools that would let them be much more face-to-face.

Some of this is in place, others are in development or awaiting the staffing to finish off. I'm sorry there's been the delay, but we'll be getting to this asap. Helpers and our new players are vitally important to the continued life of this mud, and we want to make sure we have the best of both.
Eilistraee
Nekelet
Sojourner

Postby Nekelet » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:02 pm

Tools? Sounds sweet..
Sometimes I feel.. ineffectual... when I would prefer to go to someone who needs help and they're literally a world away. Logging an alt w/ relo isn't much of an option when you've just finished building an army of pets.

Here's hoping this helps... Thanks.
--Hey, Look, I just regenerated a finger. Guess which one.
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantIT ... ipt?SK=191
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:21 pm

Making leveling easier would be nice.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:29 am

i think a levle cap on being a helper would be nice even if you ahve three helpers, your lvl 14 shouldnt be allowed the flag

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”