Tarrasque

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Tarrasque

Postby Thilindel » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:30 pm

It would seem the pbase isn't large enough lately to salvage the corpses within Tarrasque, so I'd ask that either Tarrasque poops them on out after a certain amount of time, or maybe make him not both eat people and insta-full heal. I don't have a corpse within him but someone is suiciding just to keep the other ppl, now w/o eq, pres'd up. All hail Sotana! :)
Pril
Sojourner
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sat May 11, 2002 5:01 am

Re: Tarrasque

Postby Pril » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:35 pm

Thilindel wrote:It would seem the pbase isn't large enough lately to salvage the corpses within Tarrasque, so I'd ask that either Tarrasque poops them on out after a certain amount of time, or maybe make him not both eat people and insta-full heal. I don't have a corpse within him but someone is suiciding just to keep the other ppl, now w/o eq, pres'd up. All hail Sotana! :)


The gods are fully aware of the situation and have done a lot more than what is deemed necessary to help Thil. Corpses can be gotten out if the people log on and Shar was more than gracious enough to god pres them.

Pril
Dalar
Sojourner
Posts: 4905
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:01 am

Postby Dalar » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:57 pm

I love how mobs are getting ridiculously hard while the rewards haven't changed AND the risk vs reward ratio is terrible. There should be better interaction between spheres.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: Tarrasque

Postby Thilindel » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:22 pm

Pril wrote:
Thilindel wrote:It would seem the pbase isn't large enough lately to salvage the corpses within Tarrasque, so I'd ask that either Tarrasque poops them on out after a certain amount of time, or maybe make him not both eat people and insta-full heal. I don't have a corpse within him but someone is suiciding just to keep the other ppl, now w/o eq, pres'd up. All hail Sotana! :)


The gods are fully aware of the situation and have done a lot more than what is deemed necessary to help Thil. Corpses can be gotten out if the people log on and Shar was more than gracious enough to god pres them.

Pril


I'm talking about the mob itself, not the latest situation.

My problem is that I could have sworn seeing that dragons don't make you flee over and over in the news, but I couldn't find it. First off, we have a player eating, instant full healing, roaring mob that we could possibly damage if it weren't for the fact that it roared people out over and over..the ones who didn't get roared out got eatten. I, back to back, was force fled out on four sets of casting. You can't hurt the thing cuz the rediculous rate at which you flee.
Tasan
Sojourner
Posts: 1710
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Fridley, Mn USA
Contact:

Postby Tasan » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:47 am

It's the F'in Tarrasque. A mob that is UNIQUE to D&D and is a BADASS. God I would hope it f's up a group formed like that.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Areandon
Sojourner
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:34 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Postby Areandon » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:58 am

I agree Tarrasque is quite a badass mob. I think it roars a bit too much. Allthough the good part was it couldn't possible hurt me because I couldn't stay in the same room with it. Apart from that I guess it's supposed to be hard.

Dalar is right though that the rewards are not in line with the difficulty of this fight. After finishing a certain quest with a Tarrasque item, I was a little disappointed to see the stats were not what they used to be.
Ragorn
Sojourner
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am

Postby Ragorn » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:33 pm

I remember a very short time ago people were complaining that the Tarrasque was a trivial mob, not even worthy of carrying the name.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Postby Thilindel » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:02 am

Now he's worth feigning AFK status! But anyway, the rate of flee, the insta-full heal, etc. yipes!
Yarash
Sojourner
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Monterey, CA

Re: Tarrasque

Postby Yarash » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:53 am

Thilindel wrote:I'd ask that either Tarrasque poops them on out after a certain amount of time, or

Rofl! I think that is great. The question is, would you really want to be ressed back into that body after it's been pooped out?

- Mike
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Postby Thilindel » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:46 pm

Tasan wrote:It's the F'in Tarrasque. A mob that is UNIQUE to D&D and is a BADASS. God I would hope it f's up a group formed like that.


http://mmadnd.chat.ru/MM00281.htm

Wonder if this is the tarrasque as explained? Hell, I'd like to see Tiamat vs. Tarrasque on FNAT
Yasden
Sojourner
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Postby Yasden » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:10 pm

That's 2nd edition Tarrasque..looks more like a tanar'ri, if you ask me.

This one is much better, from 3rd edition.

Image

And this one is straight out of the 3.5 Monster Manual, almost identical.

Image

As much as I hate to say it, there actually are far worse NPC's than the Tarrasque...check out the head-to-head competition Wizards ran for a few months for some of the ultimate NPC monsters...Tarrasque didn't win.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20050510a
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Ragorn
Sojourner
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am

Postby Ragorn » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:34 pm

That was a popularity contest, not a battle royale :)

But 3rd edition introduced monsters that make the Tarrasque shudder and go hide in the corner. Some of the monsters in the Epic Handbook are the physical embodiment of hyperbole... like the Hecatoncheries. The Hecatoncheries is essentially a living tree, where all the branches are arms wielding greatswords. It attacks with 100 greatswords a round, has a thousand hit points, moves 100' per round, regenerates 40 points per round and has fast healing 50, spell resistance 70, damage reduction 60/+12, and is immune to electricity, polymorph, critical hits, and all other abomination features. It gets +50 to search, spot, and listen, and can fly at will. Not only is the Hecatoncheries not unique, but once per day, it can summon another Hecatoncheries, "though it is loathe to do so."

The Hecatoncheries is a CR 57. The Tarrasque is CR 20. This thing could eat a bowl full of Tarrasques with coffee in the morning.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests
Posts: 1097
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:20 pm

Postby Eilistraee » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:47 pm

Does Hecatoncheries mean 'game designers were on crack' in some other language perhaps?
Eilistraee
Lahgen
Sojourner
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:58 am

Postby Lahgen » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:00 pm

Yeah, but could this thing beat Tia? And if so, how do we convince it to go twink her for us?
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'
Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone
Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'

Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
Hsoj
Sojourner
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:59 pm
Location: Not close enough to stalk... Latitude 45°30'30" Longitude -121°50'30"
Contact:

Postby Hsoj » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:48 pm

*applaud Lahgen*


Paying a druid to tame a Hecatoncheries, $5,000,000,000 plat
Getting the said Hecatoncheries to solo Tia, Priceless
-==~ Tafah Auvry'ar'lyl | Fatah Fire Bath ~==-
selerial
Sojourner
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:42 pm
Location: Allston, MA
Contact:

Postby selerial » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:15 pm

Thilindel wrote:
Tasan wrote:It's the F'in Tarrasque. A mob that is UNIQUE to D&D and is a BADASS. God I would hope it f's up a group formed like that.


http://mmadnd.chat.ru/MM00281.htm

Wonder if this is the tarrasque as explained? Hell, I'd like to see Tiamat vs. Tarrasque on FNAT


I read the sheet on the beast and it's interesting to note that, while it does have *six* attacks per round, it does not have a listed swallow attack (just a bite attack which can sever limbs).

I wonder what the justification was to give it a swallow attack in the first place.
Lahgen
Sojourner
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:58 am

Postby Lahgen » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:50 pm

Hsoj wrote:*applaud Lahgen*


Paying a druid to tame a Hecatoncheries, $5,000,000,000 plat
Getting the said Hecatoncheries to solo Tia, Priceless


Hell, forget Moonwell, perhaps we should let druids quest a spell to upgrade changestaff to Summon Hecatoncheries.

On a side note, I just rolled the mud's first Succubus Paladin. Blame Yasden. :D
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'

Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone

Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'



Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
Yasden
Sojourner
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Postby Yasden » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:50 am

Tiamat is a demigod. In the "current" timeline, she is recooperating from getting her ass kicked in the last of the Bloodstone adventures. She has no avatar at this time, hence Tarrasque would have to travel to Avernus to find her.

Even if Tiamat did have an avatar, whether human or draconian, she would whoop the Tarrasque's ass, since the Tarrasque really has little intelligence...just savage hunger.

-Deathmagnet
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!



Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev



Why Nerox is jealous of me:



Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Branthur
Sojourner
Posts: 196
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Thief River Falls, MN

Postby Branthur » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:12 am

Yeah, Tarrasque is just Neutral Hungry, while Tia's quite, quite evil. The Tarrasque in 2nd ed, really wasn't too tough. In fact, you could kill it with two high level characters using only a few spells. At least in 3rd and 3.5 they made it appropriately nasty, though the weakness to anything that flies is still telling.

To put it back on topic, I like the Tarrasque where it is now. He should be as badass as he is. :P
Ragorn
Sojourner
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am

Postby Ragorn » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:37 am

However, given the stats in the 3.0 manuals, Tia would fold to the Hecatoncheries in a matter of a few rounds ;)
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Yasden
Sojourner
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Postby Yasden » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:25 pm

No she wouldn't. If she were to ever meet the thing face to face, she'd probably send a legion of reds against it long before she ever met up with it toe-to-toe. :P

Tiamat is a lot like Lloth...conniving ruthless bitch, who uses all her subjects as pawns. :)

Oh, and I believe she's regained Lesser Deity status now (as of current 3.5e) since the Damaran campaign. I could be wrong, though.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!



Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev



Why Nerox is jealous of me:



Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Pril
Sojourner
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sat May 11, 2002 5:01 am

Postby Pril » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:28 pm

Put Tia into the game for comparison purposes. :p
Hsoj
Sojourner
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:59 pm
Location: Not close enough to stalk... Latitude 45°30'30" Longitude -121°50'30"
Contact:

Postby Hsoj » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:30 pm

wow, i want to be that nerdy, no really i do! seriously
-==~ Tafah Auvry'ar'lyl | Fatah Fire Bath ~==-
Llaaldara
Sojourner
Posts: 998
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Dobluth Kyor

Postby Llaaldara » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Ragorn wrote:That was a popularity contest, not a battle royale :)

But 3rd edition introduced monsters that make the Tarrasque shudder and go hide in the corner. Some of the monsters in the Epic Handbook are the physical embodiment of hyperbole... like the Hecatoncheries. The Hecatoncheries is essentially a living tree, where all the branches are arms wielding greatswords. It attacks with 100 greatswords a round, has a thousand hit points, moves 100' per round, regenerates 40 points per round and has fast healing 50, spell resistance 70, damage reduction 60/+12, and is immune to electricity, polymorph, critical hits, and all other abomination features. It gets +50 to search, spot, and listen, and can fly at will. Not only is the Hecatoncheries not unique, but once per day, it can summon another Hecatoncheries, "though it is loathe to do so."

The Hecatoncheries is a CR 57. The Tarrasque is CR 20. This thing could eat a bowl full of Tarrasques with coffee in the morning.


Can you teleport it somewhere? Say perhaps the center of an active, or erupting, vulcano?

Liquid... Hot.. Magma
Ragorn
Sojourner
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am

Postby Ragorn » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:45 pm

Yasden wrote:No she wouldn't. If she were to ever meet the thing face to face, she'd probably send a legion of reds against it long before she ever met up with it toe-to-toe. :P

Tiamat is a lot like Lloth...conniving ruthless bitch, who uses all her subjects as pawns. :)


Thing is, no mortal non-epic creature has a chance of doing any real damage to Heca, no matter how many there are. Heca's DR reduces the damage of each melee attack it takes by 60, unless the damage is inflicted by a +12 weapon or greater (or the weapon is tempered in the blood of a diety). In addition, Heca heals 50 points of damage per round, and then another 40 points of non-fire non-acid damage. Each of Heca's attacks is treated as a +12 weapon for the sake of bypassing DR, so poor Tiamat and all her reds would take full damage from each attack.

I don't have the book with me at work, but I'm fairly sure Heca has improved evasion and enough reflex save to make breath weapons a nonfactor.

SR 70 means a 60th level Wizard only has a 50/50 shot of landing a spell, nevermind a Great Red Wyrm.

They may have restatted Tiamat since the publication of Deities and Demigods, but at that time she was balanced to destroy parties of mortal 20th level characters. When Epic was released, it raised the bar on what characters and monsters could do.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests