mage burst damage vs steady melee damage - Corth

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
kiryan
Sojourner

mage burst damage vs steady melee damage - Corth

Postby kiryan » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:39 pm

Moving this discussion out of the melee engine thread

Kiryan wrote:mages are supposed to be front loaded damage where melee is steady good damage. I agree with that. But because mages mem so fast and mobs cant have more than 30k hps there is never a long enough fight for melee to come out ahead even if the damage rates werent comparable. ( I still advocate bringing back some sort of memming penalty, like the 30 second mem penalty) alternatively maybe we could up the max hps to 2.4 billion.

Corth wrote:Kiryan:

I agree with your take on how mages should be front loaded heavy damage and melee should be more steady damage, and that meming out of fights quickly messes up the balance between the two. However, bringing back the 30 second mem penalty is a worse idea than extending res effect time. It is a timesink of epic proportions. Frankly, it is just not fun.

Here's a question. Why cant we have offensive spells miss their target a certain percentage of the time? That would seem more realistic... and it would help bring magic damage down relative to melee over the long fight while preserving the idea that a spell which hits should hit much harder than a round of melee from a ranger/rogue.

Corth:

I agree with you that the 30 second mem penalty is a horrible horrible time sink and that I am not quite sane in advocating it.

The "problem" I am trying to solve is how do you make an invoker do 5x melee damage for 20 rounds then be disabled long enough for melee to catch up and do 2x as much total damage before the mage is ready to nuke again?

With very short mem times, the power of 5 force missiles, and the sheer number of "decent" spells 5 meteorswarms, 4 infernos and 7 incendiary clouds....and being able to bring multiple invokers. You can't exhaust their "good" damage spells, and if you could they mem them back so fast melee couldn't catch back up (if spells did more damage than melee which today they don't).

My thoughts on the subject are:

1. Increase single target damage, reduce chant, increase mem time for a net effect of 0 change in total damage done in same time period in an average fight. This should result in more damage at the beginning of a fight, but same damage overall which is already starting to lag behind melee damage. soon single target caster damage will be meaningless.

To alleviate the issue of spellups / utility spells taking longer, change the code so that you can specify how long it takes to mem a spell of a particular circle or type. For example make all offensive spells take 2x as long to mem, or make all single target offensive spells take 3x longer to mem.

2. Area damage provides massive amount of damage quickly if there are a lot of targets, so it supports the "burst" damage model.

however its somewhat ineffective because while doing massive amounts of area damage may "shorten" a large fight by some amount, its only preferable on EASY fights. In a hard fight its preferable to kill one mob every 20 rounds for 100 rounds than 5 mobs in the 80th round ESPECIALLY if you only have the staying power to be in for 15 rounds at a time.

Because of the need to kill mobs to reduce incoming damage (which is almost always spell damage); in harder fights you'll find an emphasis on killing a mobs (casters) rather than doing a lot of damage which seems strange.

If character / mob power was reduced as their HPS were reduced, there might not be so much emphasis on killing a single mob.... A step away from 1 spell out fights and back towards area which should be a casters strength.

Someone suggested once before that you scale "effectiveness" of spells with a stat, specifically HPS. I was against this, thinking of this only in a positive way for players, but what if it worked both ways or worked only for mobs in a negative way?

3. A set of spells that do X*Y damage to a single target where X is the base damage and Y is the number of mobs in the room would support the "burst" model in large fights.

4. improving melee damage doesn't help the "burst" damage vs steady melee model. Mages should do more damage at the beginning of a fight and melee should do more damage over the length of a fight.

Force missiles was pretty comparable to 2xKhanjari or archery... Melee probably has quite an edge on damage now with the new tiamat eq. But the point is that if mages and melee do the same damage, then mages are never ahead in the damage curve... with the possible exception of areas and we discussed the problems with that in #1.

5. Eliminate the "burst" model. Make "situational" damage a mages forte. Fire spells on trolls, cold spells on fire based mobs, positive material plane spells against negative material plane mobs, ect ect ect (homelands had this). That way mages and melee are similar damage (although not sure how you can keep this balance over time with melee eq escalation), but situationally mages can wreck mobs and can shorten up easy fights with areas.

I'm a big fan of situational damage because it makes you prepare and cast the right spells instead of just FM FM FM FM, INFERNO INFERNO INFERNO. However, the number of spells in each damage type should be limited so that you can't rely on it as a single source of damage. So a group walks into a fire elemental, mages dump 4 cold spells each doing 5x melee damage, but then revert to forcemissiles which is equivalent to melee damage, instead of being able to mem 5 different cold spells and keep up the double+ damage forever.

However, this was way overdone in FFXI, it became impossible to kill mobs unless you were packing their bane and skillchaining to produce their bane. Players could combine skills and spells in skill chains that would produce amazing damage of a specific type, so fights went like this... tickle tickle tickle for 40 hits then stat the skill chain tickle, slap, punch, complete devestation, dead.

---------

regarding spells missing:

I don't think that making mages miss targets would help the burst model as I describe it unless they missed less at the beginning of a fight and more towards the end of a fight. Regardless of how "missing" happens or at what rate, I'd think that mages would need to do significantly MORE single target damage per spell than melee damage in the same period of time...

But, I think you actually trying to create a reduction in spell damage vs melee which I dont think is where we want to go because invokers will then truly have only one unimportant function area damage... If you could figure out how to make area damage more important

Also, realize that stacked melee damage is faster damage short and long term compared to force missiles today today though it was probably not true when you played more actively.

But that is an interesting thought to make mages miss spells. What if you couldnt chain cast all your spells and land every single one of them?Expanding on that idea, what if were dependent on something else like mana. What if mana was drained for every spell you cast and you had to not only have a spell memd, but the mental energy (mana) to cast it. Then +Mana eq would "increase" a mages "power" without affecting spell damage/effectiveness... Additional synergy with bards for restoring mental energy.

I've always thought that the number of spells mages get is just sick, you can have like 120 spells memmd and cast them all one after another, but what if as you cast your 8th offensive spell, you started to lose clarity and to crack under the pressure, started missing with your spells, stopped chanting them as quickly, ect until your "mental energy" had recovered.... Different spell types could have different draws on mental energy.

It would give you one more thing you could use to control and differentiate spells other than what chant time and circle they are in (which dictates how long it takes to recover them).
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:42 pm

Ohhh and would give bards another reason to sing song of renewal (aside from personal benefit and memming faster) if you did the mana thing Kiryan.
Verarb
Sojourner

Postby Verarb » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:09 pm

situational spells are not fun when overdone.

See druids spells.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:22 pm

Just increase the cast time on the most damaging nukes for invokers. No need to punish every caster for the firepower invokers do. Adding 1-2 *'s for the big damage spells would definitely slow things down in that regard....druids have to suffer through it for creeping doom.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:11 am

Vaprak's personal opinion is definately for the situational damage where you have racial vulnerbilities and invulnerbilities (and ranges in between) for various types of damage. Then each spell/skill is assigned 1 or more damage types. We had this on Homeland and it did indeed serve the intended purpose of requring casters to think about what spells they memmed and also for hitters to think about what weapon they wield (bludgeon better against skeleton, etc). It also made it so a caster could not fully unload on a wide aray of mobs due to the damage from certain attacks not affecting them. Some races (humans for example) still took damage from everything in a regular way.
Vaprak, the Destroyer
-Formerly Tempus of HomelandMUD -- pre-merger
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:20 am

Yasden what does increasing chant times on invoker nukes do? Reduce invoker damage at a time when top end melee damage is already equivalent to force missiles?

After a year of eq escalation and melee damage classes are doing 1.5x invoker single target damage (after your chant suggestion) then what? Invokers only useful for area damage, gates, and di? Manscorps king fight is the only fight i'd be scared of without invokers and it would still be possible.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:10 am

hehe, as verarb saw, doom damage is laughable! TP mobs can live thru it. Had to throw that in!
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:35 am

You're wanting to slow down speed mems. If you increased the cast times on spells, the spells would take longer to fire off, and you'd probably reduce the number of memouts by 30-50% per fight, and this could push the focus to melee damage back to the front for the steady damage.

Also, group positioning would be a really neat concept to implement, as it would allow for, if not force the nukers to be positioned in the rear and do less damage.

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:21 pm

but yasden, that would leave invokers with only area spells to offer a group... and lower single target damage. If you accept lower single target damage as a good thing, can you really say that area spells are useful? I'd argue that area spells have very little place in the high end zone today.

What fight do we normally area that couldn't be done more efficiently with higher single target damage? I can name several where area damage would be extremely inefficient to impossible....

Bel, Brack/Kerdel, any dragon or tiamat fight, Dresk, Mogdath/Thak, Loki, Thorn, 5 tendrils, Devourer
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:36 pm

kiryan wrote:but yasden, that would leave invokers with only area spells to offer a group... and lower single target damage. If you accept lower single target damage as a good thing, can you really say that area spells are useful? I'd argue that area spells have very little place in the high end zone today.

Good. Give Rangers something to do in this game. I heartily endorse nerfing the fuck out of force missiles.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:58 pm

good good..hose force missile, and it seems area damage will be snuffed as well. Bring back sorcs! Cuz invokers won't have a reason to be.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:06 pm

I was implying that all of their spells get hosed this way from 8th circle up, not just force missiles.

Yarash
Sojourner

Re: mage burst damage vs steady melee damage - Corth

Postby Yarash » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:48 am

Kiryan wrote:...because mages mem so fast and mobs cant have more than 30k hps there is never a long enough fight for melee to come out ahead even if the damage rates werent comparable.

I agree. And yet there are still plenty of mages complaining about how "slow it is to mem", and asking for more max-int gear, and making it more effective, even as much as halving mem times. These people must have never played a mana based mage. Mages can regain spells fast as hell here.

kiryan wrote:I've always thought that the number of spells mages get is just sick, you can have like 120 spells memmd and cast them all one after another, but what if as you cast your 8th offensive spell, you started to lose clarity and to crack under the pressure, started missing with your spells, stopped chanting them as quickly, ect until your "mental energy" had recovered....

Damn, then I wouldn't be able to cast those spells that I never cast anyways. A zoning invoker casting 1st through 6th circle offensive spells can expect to be laughed at, and I've even gotten some raised eyebrows on occasion from casting bigbys when zoning. And those are invoker spells, supposedly more powerful than the offensive spells of other mages. I understand how you might think that way, but really, nearly all the offensive spells a mage gets at low levels are not worth casting at high levels. Why? Because you can just re-mem the high circle spells after you cast them. Btw, I do not like to mem out. I WANT to be where the action is.

Thilindel wrote:hehe, as verarb saw, doom damage is laughable! TP mobs can live thru it. Had to throw that in!

And ants can survive meteor swarm, and wimpy split shield mobs can survive inferno. Damage has ranges.

Ragorn wrote:Good. Give Rangers something to do in this game. I heartily endorse nerfing the fuck out of force missiles.

Well, if you're sitting around now, you still would be. Most of the time I look at the who list these days, there are zero to one invokers on. I think a lot of invokers are playing different, more fun classes now.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”