Dires Mounted combat

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Malia
Sojourner

Dires Mounted combat

Postby Malia » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:41 pm

recently started playing a dire and noticed something. You get mounted combat at 10th lvl, and you get strafe at 20th which requires mounted combat, but have you tried strafe at that lvl, its imposible, its not even attemptable.

I dont know for sure at what skill lvl you have to have mounted combat at to be able to fire a 2handed weapon while mounted but im told you need about lvl 40 before you can start.

So you get a skill at 20 that you cant use or practice till lvl 40, just found that a bit odd. Any chance someone could look into it and maybe at least make it attemptable wither the % chance of falling off lowerd as you get better instead just not even attemptable. Least if its attemptable we can practice that skill that we get at 20 before we hit lvl 40.

Thanks =)
Dugmaren mutters in a surly voice 'Got any new strategy or going to continue with the "throw bodies at them til they get bored"? '

Dranth group-says 'i started drinkin when i found out galzar would be here'

Nerox says 'careful she goes from 0 to bitch in .00000001 seconds'

Mugo ASSOC:: 'ah got it on my gaytimer now :P'
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:25 pm

lvl 38, mounted combat 75

howl is a good thing to raise mc but it also aggros any in room, much like tazriks does

dire mounted combat practice has long been a common complaint

howl was introduced (iirc) to help with mc practice for dires. it does raise it very fast on single mobs
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Malia
Sojourner

Postby Malia » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:25 pm

I understand that, but still why give a dire a skill that there is no way he can use at lvl 20, if you cant use it till 37ish, then make it a skill you get at 37. Just trying to understand the thought process behind that.
Dugmaren mutters in a surly voice 'Got any new strategy or going to continue with the "throw bodies at them til they get bored"? '

Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:02 am

Hazarding a guess, but guessing that the skill is given so you can practice it, by a certain skill number and/or level you can be proficient at it?

Many a-p/pal and dire just blaze thru til level 38 THEN practice mounted combat and other skills which i never understood since you are a craptastic tank while not mounted anyway, why not USE the skill ie: thru normal use and gain skill as you level? *shrug*

-Italian Proverb
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:01 am

the idea behind dire's i believe is 1h slashers. you can mounted combat with 1h weapons much lower... as ambar said, 75 skill is required to 2h while mounted. Mounted combat is notoriously difficult to notch.

One of the biggest problems with skill notching is that the % chance of learning a skill seems to be porportioanal to the distance you are away from "maxing" the skill for your level. Therefore going from 19-20 at level 10 (assuming the skill maxes at 20 for a level 10) is just as hard as going from 98 to 99 at level 50 (also known as taking a buttload of attempts). It's actually more efficient to completely ignore your skills until you can "max" them for your class.
Malia
Sojourner

Postby Malia » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:08 pm

I think my point is missed, im not concerned about mounted combat as much as I am strafe. Strafe is a lvl 20 skill. Now how can i practice strafe? I cant 2hand wield while mounted.... thats my point. So why give us a skill (strafe) at lvl 20 that we have 0 chance of being able to use till lvl 37ish?

My thoughts on correcting this is
1) dont give strafe till its actualy doable so maybe strafe at 35.
2) make it at least have a chance to succeed at lvl 20 and increase the chance as you get higher lvls.

Again the whole point of this is mostly strafe, why offer a skill at lvl 20 that you cannot use until about lvl 37.

Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:22 pm

i think what he is trying to say is:

1) dont give strafe till its actualy doable so maybe strafe at 35.
2) make it at least have a chance to succeed at lvl 20 and increase the chance as you get higher lvls.

Again the whole point of this is mostly strafe, why offer a skill at lvl 20 that you cannot use until about lvl 37.
Kaisi tells you 'get smirn, he's better than me'
--HELP! My legs aren't long enough!--
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:24 pm

Ambar wrote:Many a-p/pal and dire just blaze thru til level 38 THEN practice mounted combat and other skills which i never understood since you are a craptastic tank while not mounted anyway, why not USE the skill ie: thru normal use and gain skill as you level? *shrug*

Because it's a freaking PITA to notch if you're wearing decent AC/spells.

Sadly, I got mine from 41 to 75 in 3 hrs by smiting navies naked with a sword on horseback, having a bard in group to keep me healed. MC appears to notch MUCH faster if you're actually getting hit. Might be something that warrants a look by a coder at some point.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:38 pm

Strafe works with 1h weapons, dual or not dual wielding so you don't need any particular skill level in mounted combat to start using strafe. Same goes for outflank. Didn't understand thats what you were talking about or I'd have said something sooner.
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:04 pm

Yasden wrote:
Ambar wrote:Many a-p/pal and dire just blaze thru til level 38 THEN practice mounted combat and other skills which i never understood since you are a craptastic tank while not mounted anyway, why not USE the skill ie: thru normal use and gain skill as you level? *shrug*

Because it's a freaking PITA to notch if you're wearing decent AC/spells.

Sadly, I got mine from 41 to 75 in 3 hrs by smiting navies naked with a sword on horseback, having a bard in group to keep me healed. MC appears to notch MUCH faster if you're actually getting hit. Might be something that warrants a look by a coder at some point.

dunno :P i used mc every fight i could with charge, and at lvl 38 i had 75 mc and was able to 2h while mounted without any problem. my a-p was mainly solo to lvl tho, not pleveled at all (not saying yours was cause i dont know)

used decentish eq, -100 ac and notched normally? i guess? *shrug* we should agree to disagree here i think :P i just hate seeing a-p/pal not mounted just cause they been told its easy to notch after lvl 38 :P (and getting their asses handed to them cause they are trying to tank while not mounted)

as far as strafe .. compare it to bash if you will .. warriors get it at lvl 1 but isnt useful til a higher skill level, but the only way to improve it is by use. by lvl 20 a dire should have a decentish mounted combat (36-40 ish iirc) unless you are like the rest and figure you will practice mounted combat after lvl 38

-Italian Proverb
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:42 pm

ok well strafe isn't a skill you can notch......it's more like an innate I guess. So it's based on your mounted combat skill, and even then it depends on the mobs partly too. Some seem easier to strafe/outflank then others, might be an awareness thing.
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'
Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”