zone creation

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
kiryan
Sojourner

zone creation

Postby kiryan » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:46 pm

I was doing some thinking about zone creation and the breakdown of work.

1. Writing descriptions is probably 80% of the work in developing a new zone.

Yet a majority of players have their brief togged...

2. The most common "bitches" about new zones is about the fights, objects, or quests

Yet much less time is invested in those aspects of zone development.

I'm not advocating this approach because quality of content is one thing that still differentiates us from other muds... but I it was a funny thought.
Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:16 pm

Naw, if you slack on the descriptions you get a ton of bishing about that as well.

You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time.
Vaprak, the Destroyer
-Formerly Tempus of HomelandMUD -- pre-merger
Karenthael
Sojourner

Postby Karenthael » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:35 pm

Vaprak is correct. Take, for instance, the new island content. I spent hours working on that and when it went in the major complaint was the repetitive room descriptions. For me it isn't that I couldn't write different descriptions, it was that I was trying to hurry and get things in that the players would be able to use. More fool I. As you may notice, I am no longer here under my other name, I went away after that largely due to my own sensitivity over that reception. BUT you will find that most builders are sensitive over the reaction of players on every aspect of their work, especially when you have been doing it as long as we had.
Karen
If you think that something small cannot make a difference---try sleeping
with a mosquito in the room.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:34 am

wow people complain about descriptions? i had no idea.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:00 am

It certainly is interesting. I appreciate a nicely... concise not long ... worded zone. But I only read it the first time through then brief.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:54 pm

I think that to alot of people, the quality of the descriptions is an obvious indicator of the overall quality of the zone. You don't always pay attention to them, but you notice if they're not there - and shoddy descriptions make the whole thing seem like an amateurish affair.

Just a thought.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:45 am

Couldn't agree more. The zone descriptions are there for those that like atmosphere and not pure HnS without any connector. There are writer's who purposely write contrived and long descriptions for a reason, usually tying in with quests somewhere or something else and those players that are smart enough to tie it all together "win". I can go to any LP or Merc mud, see the one line sentance for descriptions, or I can play somewhere where time was spent and there is real quality.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:37 am

Tasan wrote:HnS

What is this?
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:10 am

Yarash wrote:
Tasan wrote:HnS

What is this?

Hack 'n Slash
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Dezzex
Sojourner

Postby Dezzex » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:20 am

Yep. It's kinda sad, but at least 50% of a zone writer's work goes unnoticed in the form of descriptions and other minutia. Shev's right (for me anyway) -- that effort is not always noticed, but it is critisized when it is subpar.

Especially if you're not a HnS MUDder, and I'd wager most Toril players are not strictly HnS, descriptions are a critical reflection of an area's quality. I always found myself never giving any respect to a MUD that had descriptions that were silly, one line, and/or repetitive.

I do think it's a great idea to tie them to gameplay via quest hints and storyline. It's more fun for the writer, since they get to divulge in some verbosity without needing to think about how to describe tree trunk #2353 in their generic forest. It's more fun for the player, who discovers another facet of the zone by trying to solve an obscure quest through well-provided hints. BGR does this to an extent, though if I recall it was a bit difficult to filter out what was relevant and what was just story filler.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”