pwipe or mass eq hose?

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Drache
Sojourner

pwipe or mass eq hose?

Postby Drache » Thu May 04, 2006 12:22 am

I don't know what would cause a mass flow of ppl to return. I think one of the two would, but only if the Coming Soon would be added. When I was reading several threads, some stuff was Coming Soon for over a year now. - Specifically some new race Cyric was speaking about from Homeland
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu May 04, 2006 4:22 am

seriously...

1. what makes you think that existing players will come back to do what they've already done?

2. what makes you think that players will come back to a mud that just wiped out hundreds to thousands of hours of work in the form of characters and equipment?

3. what makes you think players who quit the game cuz they thought it sucked, will come back to play the same game they thought sucked?

you got to have a hell of a lot more than "i think" when you suggest something so drastic. At least people who say bring back sorcs try to put out some sort of argument for such a disruptive change.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu May 04, 2006 4:41 am

When it comes down to it theres only a few real reasons to justify wipes (player or equipment) and surprsingly enough they have to do with innovation. There is NO, absolutely NO point in wiping if nothing has changed. There is some reason to wipe if enough fundamental things have changed.

Like if we suddenly made getting to 50 take 1 rl year instead of 1 rl week. The existing hoard of level 50 characters would put new players at a very unfair disadvantage to the point that no new player would ever obtain level 50 before quitting from the sheer unfairness.

Or if we suddenly decided everyone could have only one character total... you might justify erasing all characters to ensure no give aways and since 98% of them would never be used again anyways.

There is no silver bullet thats going to cure toril's 10 year decline. Its going to take a lot of big things and a lot of little things. Real innvation, small fixes, friendly players, advertising... these are the kinds of things that will add players for the long term.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Thu May 04, 2006 9:43 am

Either of the things you suggest in this thread's title would kill the game.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Thu May 04, 2006 2:32 pm

There will be no pwipe or "mass eq hose" in the forseeable future.

Pwiping is the easy way out, and while it may be a faster and easier band-aid in some cases, I am determined to stick it out and work towards the harder, and more permenant, solution.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Thu May 04, 2006 3:29 pm

Shevarash wrote:There will be no pwipe or "mass eq hose" in the forseeable future.

Pwiping is the easy way out, and while it may be a faster and easier band-aid in some cases, I am determined to stick it out and work towards the harder, and more permenant, solution.

<3
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu May 04, 2006 3:38 pm

shev, what do you think pwipe is a solution too? I'm interested in your perspective.

Restoring competition?

Creating "need/desire" to zone?
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu May 04, 2006 4:24 pm

kiryan wrote:shev, what do you think pwipe is a solution too? I'm interested in your perspective.

Restoring competition?

Creating "need/desire" to zone?

Both. Having things on farm status isn't exactly thrilling. Newbies won't be left behind since high end guilds will need them to fluff their raid member numbers.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Thu May 04, 2006 6:57 pm

kiryan wrote:

1. what makes you think that existing players will come back to do what they've already done?

I know I wouldn't come back, I would have to think many others wouldn't either, don't see how this would attract more people either. As for newbies on the evil side, they are given stuff and exp'd. Tssassop takes people under level 45 into zones and not uber decked out people either. I personally don't think this kind of experiment is something the mud can afford to try, after all know one really knows what would happen.

Just re-open homeland :P
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'
Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Vikaz
Sojourner

Postby Vikaz » Thu May 04, 2006 7:06 pm

Latreg wrote:Just re-open homeland :P

queue eff tee
V
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Thu May 04, 2006 7:43 pm

Well, I want neither a wipe nor eq hosing. What I would like is that coming soon *dream* :) Hopefully I'm not seen as sarcastic, cuz I'm not trying to be. I'm just being enthusiastic. Hard to tell when reading a page tho!
Glorishan
Sojourner

Postby Glorishan » Thu May 04, 2006 8:29 pm

It would get some people to come back. It would get people like me to come back...for awhile. Just long enough for people to race to be the first to do this, and the first to do that. Eventually, we'll all have high end equipment again, things will become too simple, and we'll find ourselves struggling to remember our reasons for returning. It's the same thing that's happend each of the last couple pwipes.

Pwipe would be fun...for awhile. Then we're back where we started, less the people who quit because of the pwipe.
Touk says 'ac > glorishan > mr > touk > hps'
Siamorphe OOC: 'If AFKing is the devil, then Corth is the Antichrist and Glorishan is the False Prophet who supports him.'
Referring to the guild on 8/28/06: Oghma responds to your petition with 'your leadership team averages 280 days MIA :('
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Thu May 04, 2006 9:31 pm

I'll play with or without a pwipe. I think I'd rather not have a wipe atm tho.

Bring ppl back? Probably. More than would leave? Hard to know. A lot of our players now have limited time, so would take a really long time for them to get back to power zoning, and some people only want to do that.
Iyced / Torgu / Iysor
Ezwar
Sojourner

Postby Ezwar » Fri May 05, 2006 4:53 pm

uh i would personaly hate a player whip, i am somewhat of a new player, only one level 34, to be honest i would hate a player whip. I think about the time i have in to my character and then think about the other people that have 100x the time in to theirs, i think it would only draw discontentment from the people who have a connection with there characters, or thous who have spent years playing them.

Well i guess thats my 2 cents

Memento Mori

Ezwar
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sat May 06, 2006 6:29 am

Ezwar wrote:uh i would personaly hate a player whip, i am somewhat of a new player, only one level 34, to be honest i would hate a player whip. I think about the time i have in to my character and then think about the other people that have 100x the time in to theirs, i think it would only draw discontentment from the people who have a connection with there characters, or thous who have spent years playing them.

It depends player to player. Those who are hardcore HNS players who live for the high end quest eq and the like will be pissed as hell. Those who play for the fun of zoning/chatting would likely have fun being in huge newbie groups again.

There is no real way to make everyone happy.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”