!id weapons

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Malia
Sojourner

!id weapons

Postby Malia » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:04 pm

I'm sure someone has posted this before, but figured id refresh the current gods minds about it and our feelings on it =).

I dont see the purpose of having !id weapons, everything else i can understand, you can by trial and error find out stats or figure them out, thats cool and all. Potions you can quaff and scrolls you can read (cept for 2 in bryn i cant figure out) items you can wear to try and figure out what it does or how to proc it.

But weapons, because of battle code you cant really see difrence between 4d4 or 4d3 or 4d5. it all says barely (pierce crush slash whatever). You can figure out hit/dam and maybe the spells it has affecting it, but really need to know dice to figure out if its an upgrade or downgrade or if youd just wanna pond the damn thing =)

There are currently several weapons in the game that are !id. Any chance this could be changed? If it cant be changed, can you explain why they should be !id? If you want a list of ones that i know of i can mmail ya but dont wanna give item and zone here on the bbs.

Once again thanks =)
Dugmaren mutters in a surly voice 'Got any new strategy or going to continue with the "throw bodies at them til they get bored"? '

Dranth group-says 'i started drinkin when i found out galzar would be here'

Nerox says 'careful she goes from 0 to bitch in .00000001 seconds'

Mugo ASSOC:: 'ah got it on my gaytimer now :P'
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Agreed

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:13 pm

I can mention several !id weapons as well, even some that in theory suck, should still never be !id. And as far as most potions or scrolls sold in a store, shouldn't they be named? Why the hell would I buy a potion or scroll from someone without knowing what it does? Some stores are VERY good about doing this, and others just plain suck (BRYN). I can understand dishing out 8 gold and then identifying the item, but when you talk about 50p-1k, that's a nono.

Transient flag on SOME items should also be looked at. Items that people actually zone with, in my opinion, should not have the transient flag, regardless of being quest items or not. I can think of one from TE and one from Oakvale for instance.

I agree Malia.
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:03 pm

One of the biggest annoyances I find with !id weapons is if it floats or not. Thats an important bit of information that a player needs to know.
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:45 pm

is oblivion still !ID? I refused to use it cuz of that alone.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:11 pm

Thilindel wrote:is oblivion still !ID? I refused to use it cuz of that alone.

You stop using a dagger of oblivion.

< 685h/658H 403p/403P 127v/127V >
< > recite scroll dagger
You recite a scroll of identify which turns to dust in your hands.
Your senses boggle, as you are unable to identify this item.

yeah looks that way :P

-Ilisa
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:38 pm

Whew! I wasn't sure if it still was. I know it was frustrating cuz pending lich quest, I wasn't about to use and fumble a potentially !float weapon. What's the core reason there was !ID stuff put in the game, anyway?
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:25 am

So only god leaks can use the triggered words on weapons.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:44 pm

Dalar wrote:So only god leaks can use the triggered words on weapons.

oohhh excellent point.

if you wanna be bothered with it, you can take a friend or enemy into the arena with the weapon and get a general idea of the damage it does.

but yeah the !id is just a silly annoyance. It's not like people are saying oh wow I got a new sword and I don't know what it does, boy i can't wait to figure it out!

Like Dalar said only thing you can't figure out is triggered words.
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'
Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:53 pm

thats not at all what he said. Figuring out the dice on a !id weapon is pretty impossible.
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'
Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'
Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'
Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:49 pm

Ruxur wrote:

thats not at all what he said. Figuring out the dice on a !id weapon is pretty impossible.

difficult yes, but not impossible. take someone into the arena, don't need to kill them just log the damage and see how much hps they loose, I have long since forgotten the Statistics I learned but you should be able to figure out the dice of damage, comparing the high/low and median values. You'll need to take into account damage from your gear and weapon.

Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:48 pm

The arena's damage output is screwy as it is. Just as an illusionist' victim.

Also, I'm sorry but this is outrageously stupid:

An auctioneer retrieves (!ID weapon) from storage and cast a magical spell on it.
Your senses boggle, as you are unable to identify this item.

Are ya kiddin me?
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:36 am

your basing in game stuff on arena?

you assume too much

Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'

Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Abbayarra
Sojourner

He is right, the arena is where to go.

Postby Abbayarra » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:45 am

You take a weapon that is able to be id.
You take a look at how much damage it does over say 100 rounds of combat. This can include procs.
You then take the noid item and compare it's damage over 100 rounds.
You should be able to get a very good idea at the comparative damage of two weapons.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:26 am

but the arena doesn't give linear proof. Some spells in arena are less than they are relative to weaker spells that are actually stronger in arena. Also, some crap straight up doesn't work in the arena. Calculator for damage is so f'd up there...where to begin..
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:01 am

all three of you assume too much about the arena

Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:16 am

Pava's kills in the arena directly equate to the number of high level equipment battles he's won without help. Didn't you know that arena = mudtwink?
Latreg
Sojourner

Re: He is right, the arena is where to go.

Postby Latreg » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:08 pm

Abbayarra wrote:You take a weapon that is able to be id.
You take a look at how much damage it does over say 100 rounds of combat. This can include procs.
You then take the noid item and compare it's damage over 100 rounds.
You should be able to get a very good idea at the comparative damage of two weapons.

Wow I use arena as AN EXAMPLE and you are the only one who can see that.

Thil, don't know about spell damage in arena, was just talking about weapons....

I really don't know much about the arena but I would ASSUME a 4d3 is a 4d3 etc.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”