dayblind

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Latreg
Sojourner

dayblind

Postby Latreg » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:07 pm

I know this is an old issue but here goes.
If the day blind races wheren't day blind, would it give them a huge advantage? Is it an rp thing? if so make it kick in when they tog RP. With all the wonderous items mages can create, not one of them could figure out how to make sun glasses? I mean what's the point other than another time sink? Yeah I know squids and chanter types have spells to block out the sun and you can gsay the directions, but again that's just a pain and it slows you down. I would think more people would try those races if this restriction was lifted.
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'
Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:53 pm

I like ultravision in some senses. To be honest, I die more to infravision than ultra. The only issue I have is that the majority of zones are daylight, and the classes able to circumvent this issue (ele/psi) are not even essential classes beyond that purpose. It makes forming groups far to reliant on this one variable and IMO has lead to people playing the more convient of the races. I think ultravision really needed to have an expansive Underdark to fullfill the zoning needs of those races. How many new (group essential) zones have we had in the last few years that darkies can do without needing a psi/ele for at least part of the zone...And how many of those are truely dark, giving ultraraces at least some kind of advantage. And even then, that advantage is rather null when you have infra chars in the groups 'lighting' the room, or a zone with Ultra/Infra mobs.

Removing dayblind from ultra would be quite the advantage...Not knowing what that red shape in the room ahead of you is gets me killed way more than not walking into a room blind does. I suppose you could make dayblind work like infra does at night, showing 'outlines' instead of red shapes, but that doesn't address the real problem -which is following your group leader and seeing what your doing when zoning. Even with a Psi your still not 100%, as the Psi has to manually/trigger walk with the group leader during the day.

Does this mean I want it gone, or every ultra wearing sunglasses? Nope! I reallly don't see anything being a very logical solution, only band-aids with Flinstones or Jetsons pictures on it.
Last edited by Botef on Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:30 pm

agree with ya 100% botef.

Oh well, back to my quantum mechanics homework. (shiver)
Eshacin
Sojourner

Postby Eshacin » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:27 pm

I've always found it a bit odd that rogues can sneak in the dark while carrying a light. Seems to me that non-ultra chars should be disadvantaged by the dark.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:30 am

No :(

Having FOUR ultras I can say it is a huge pain in the ass to get used to but once ya get the hang of it, you are aware of your MANY advantages.

Map like crazy at night, learn to run in the sunlight, and deal with it :) I still treasure my time as a baby duergar re-learning the mud by memory rather than relying on written maps.
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:18 pm

Mabye instead of saying make daylight more tolorable we could try to give examples on what we would like to do:

-I would like to consent players I can't see based on light conditions. (still not hidden/invis players, just players that are in light).

-I would like those given consent to be able to group me, even if I am in dark.

-I would prefer if the follow command worked so someone could guide me in daytime. I should still just see AAAAAAARRRGGH! but the person I follow can take me whereever.

-I would like some sort of way to know my eq during daytime. E.g. unequip my weapon, or put on fly etc.

What I dont want to happen is this to dissapear, because this is awesome: (speedwalk in VT).

Code: Select all

w
You are already standing.

< 237h/227H 120v/120V P: std > Argh!  TOO MUCH LIGHT!

< 237h/227H 119v/120V P: std > n
Argh!  TOO MUCH LIGHT!
n

< 237h/227H 118v/120V P: std > n
Argh!  TOO MUCH LIGHT!

< 237h/227H 117v/120V P: std > n
Argh!  TOO MUCH LIGHT!

< 237h/227H 116v/120V P: std > n
Argh!  TOO MUCH LIGHT!

< 237h/227H 115v/120V P: std > n
Alas, you cannot go that way. . . .

< 237h/227H 115v/120V P: std > Alas, you cannot go that way. . . .

< 237h/227H 116v/120V P: std > w
w
Argh!  TOO MUCH LIGHT!

< 237h/227H 115v/120V P: std > Argh!  TOO MUCH LIGHT!

< 237h/227H 114v/120V P: std > n
Argh!  TOO MUCH LIGHT!

< 237h/227H 115v/120V P: std > n
Argh!  TOO MUCH LIGHT!

< 237h/227H 114v/120V P: std > e
Argh!  TOO MUCH LIGHT!

< 237h/227H 114v/120V P: std > n
Argh!  TOO MUCH LIGHT!
n

< 237h/227H 113v/120V P: std > Argh!  TOO MUCH LIGHT!

< 236h/227H 112v/120V P: std > w
Argh!  TOO MUCH LIGHT!
n

< 236h/227H 112v/120V P: std > n
Argh!  TOO MUCH LIGHT!

< 236h/227H 111v/120V P: std > Bend in the Ancient Road
   The road makes a sharp bend here from north to east, and
looks as though it may have been a three-way intersection
in ages past. The third branch cuts west, in the direction
of the ruined city, and looks to have been unused and
abandoned for a very long time now. Grass and stones cover
it, while the northern and eastern branches are clear and
obviously used regularly. A large sign is posted here on
the side of the road with, "Warning!" written in large red
letter across it's top.
Exits: - North - East  - South - West
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:57 pm

Ambar wrote:No :(

Having FOUR ultras I can say it is a huge pain in the ass to get used to but once ya get the hang of it, you are aware of your MANY advantages.

Map like crazy at night, learn to run in the sunlight, and deal with it :) I still treasure my time as a baby duergar re-learning the mud by memory rather than relying on written maps.

I have most every route mapped it really isn't an issue for me specifically, if you have your starting point on your map correct you just switch over to fast walk. it just seems like it's another silly time sink, certainly it could be adjusted to make travelling better and work like regular vision during the day or maybe you can't see anything outside the room you are in during the day. And you'd think Duergars would have a more extensive tunnels system.
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'

Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'

Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:24 pm

Latreg wrote:And you'd think Duergars would have a more extensive tunnels system.

Not explored outside GH much? Pretty damn extensive :)
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Mertak
Sojourner

Postby Mertak » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:59 pm

My thoughts on it: I suggested and will suggest again some sort of Lead by Hand type action, where one day/night-blind char can follow one other char, making it possible to form a chain.

I think hiding with a lit item is a very good point, though. I know all the kanjari rogues would hate it, but it really would be most fair, since dayblindness and a lack of infra are supposed to be a real pain.

And I agree that more dark zones would be in order. Indoors is nice, but caverns and dungeons ought to be unlit.

Cheers,

Mertie.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”