Beholder Instant Death

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Beholder Instant Death

Postby Thilindel » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:43 am

Please enter your term type (<CR> ansi, '?' help):
TTTTTTT OO RRR I L M M U U DDD T O O R R I L M M M M U U D D T O O R R I L M M M U U D D T O O RRR I L M M U U D D T O O R R I L M M U U D D T OO R R I LLLL M M UUUU DDD Let the journey begin anew, for the final time. TorilMUD: The Sojourner's Home Forgers: Cyric, Shevarash, Shar Original Diku Base: Hans Henrik, Katja Nyboe, Tom Madsen, Michael Seifert, and Sebastian Hammer.n
Do you wish to create a new character? Y/N By what name do you wish to be known? Captain poopsalot
Password: Wallywingadingdongsuperschlong

TorilMUD : the Sojourner's Home Welcomes You!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
TORIL 2.0

We have been hard at work on a total revamp of the game and will
be bringing many exciting new changes to the MUD. Keep up to
date with the current information and discussion available in
the Announcements Forum as well as the following link.

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18529

VOTE

Help spread the word about Toril to new players by voting for us
at Top Mud Sites. Just visit the link below to vote, and remember
that you can vote every 12 hours!

http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topm ... gi?id=shev

GET COMPRESSED!

Speed up your by link by getting compressed, here's how:

1. Use zMUD 6.x (http://www.zuggsoft.com/) - zMUD 6 runs
MCCP compression natively, you need only make sure that it is
enabled in your preferences.

2. mcclient Proxy (http://www.torilmud.org/mccp.html) This
is a very simple utility you can run on either Windows or
Unix cwith ANY MUD client to get fast compression. Check
out the URL above for simple step-by-step instructions.

READ THE NEWS! Last Updated: 07/24/06

*** PRESS RETURN:

*** Welcome to Toril ***

0) Leave Toril for a Time.
1) Enter the realms of Toril.
2) See who is currently playing.
3) Read the background story.
4) Change your password.
5) Enter your character description.
6) Delete this character.

Make your choice:
You break camp and get ready to move on...

Welcome to TorilMUD

The Gold Mines
Exits: -N -E
A small pile of coins.
A dwarven miner is here, working away in the mines.

< 708h/683H 134v/134V >
< P: std > time
It is 9pm, on the Day of Freedom
The 18th Day of the Month of Ches (of the Sunsets), Year 590.
Time elapsed since boot-up: 81:32:12
Current time is: Sat Aug 19 01:40:39 2006 (EDT)

< 708h/683H 134v/134V >
< P: std > g coin
You get a small pile of coins.
There were: 9 gold coins, 28 silver coins, 30 copper coins.

< 708h/683H 134v/134V >
< P: std > time
It is 9pm, on the Day of Freedom
The 18th Day of the Month of Ches (of the Sunsets), Year 590.
Time elapsed since boot-up: 81:32:15
Current time is: Sat Aug 19 01:40:42 2006 (EDT)

< 708h/683H 134v/134V >
< P: std > n
The Gold Mines
Exits: -N -E -S -W

< 708h/683H 133v/134V >
< P: std > w
A Mining Tunnel
Exits: -E -W
A dwarven worker runs back and forth on errands here.
s

< 707h/683H 132v/134V >
< P: std > Alas, you cannot go that way. . . .

< 707h/683H 132v/134V >
< P: std > w
The Gold Mines
Exits: -N -E -W

< 707h/683H 131v/134V >
< P: std > s
Alas, you cannot go that way. . . .
w

< 707h/683H 131v/134V >
< P: std > s
The Gold Mines
Exits: -N -E -W
A beholder is floating here, watching you with a curious interest.

< 707h/683H 131v/134V >
< P: std > The beholder rotates around and directs a narrow ebony beam at you.
The beam sears into you and causes your heart to simply stop.
You feel yourself falling to the ground.
Your soul leaves your body in the cold sleep of death...
You stop floating.
Invisible things vanish again.
The magical side of things is less visible.

*** Welcome to Toril ***

0) Leave Toril for a Time.
1) Enter the realms of Toril.
2) See who is currently playing.
3) Read the background story.
4) Change your password.
5) Enter your character description.
6) Delete this character.

So much for the kinder, gentler starts from beholders. It's no wonder I've played like 3 hours in the last 3 months
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:00 am

PEW PEW
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:01 am

04/21/06 [Eilistraee] This and That
- Finder's cloak area behaves normally now
- Beholders have been asked to ease up on you guys at the onset of battle.
- Some small ansi and typo fixes

*sigh* It's a complete kick in the nuts really. I don't have the drive to play anymore as it is. I log on and f'g get whacked. Wee! WTF's going on? There are beholders in every other damned room in that area...nothing in the news would indicate any type of warning
Ifin
Sojourner

Postby Ifin » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:54 am

They not supposed to be there, me and Greg's fault. Was testing some stuff and they were whacking and taking longer than we thought so company came over, not many people on so was going to clean up in the morning.

But *cough* camping in the mines? :p
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:29 pm

not camping, no. Like I said, I've played maybe 3 hours in the last 3 months. I usually log in to say hi, see who's on acc, then %%. Not sure why I'm so bored. But insta-death is a good way to keep me off I guess.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:07 pm

Thilindel wrote:You break camp and get ready to move on...

Welcome to TorilMUD

The Gold Mines
Exits: -N -E
A small pile of coins.

Sure looks like camping.

Dear staff,

Please reduce the chance of danger in the game to 0. Please remove dying. Please make the game so easy that I can log in and play for 20 minutes and win.

Thank you,
Steve Perry
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:46 pm

Tasan wrote:Sure looks like camping.

Dear staff,

Please reduce the chance of danger in the game to 0. Please remove dying. Please make the game so easy that I can log in and play for 20 minutes and win.

Thank you,
Steve Perry

...?
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'
Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone
Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'

Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:47 pm

too bad u didn't have Gormal's crown....just press the protection from beholders button, and then the protection from danger button, and yer gtg!
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:06 pm

Twyl, would you please sing "Don't Stop Believin'" for me?
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:55 am

Tasan wrote:Dear staff,

Thank you,
Steve Perry

And please quit letting us carry hoards of coins because it's not real. We don't have sacks and since the coins aren't in sacks, it's not realistic. Please don't let us cast spells. That's fake! Don't let us heal, because how the heck are mobs gonna kill us if we heal?? Also, Don't let us rent. It's Toril - There's no escape.

Anyway, what's instant death, then quoted news of beholders not pulling that BS have to do with the sarcasm?
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:49 am

Code: Select all

- Beholders have been asked to ease up on you guys at the onset of battle.

Where does that message say they won't instant kill you?

And the sarcasm was because it's "Yet another Thilindel bitchfest" post. If perhaps your attitude towards things wasn't condescending perhaps people might take more notice.

Hi Lahgen!
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:29 pm

Thilindel wrote:And please quit letting us carry hoards of coins because it's not real. We don't have sacks and since the coins aren't in sacks, it's not realistic. Please don't let us cast spells. That's fake! Don't let us heal, because how the heck are mobs gonna kill us if we heal?? Also, Don't let us rent. It's Toril - There's no escape.

Anyway, what's instant death, then quoted news of beholders not pulling that BS have to do with the sarcasm?

You camped out in an area that it is not uncommon for dangerous mobs to be found in. You were subsequently killed by said mobs for your poor judgement. I fail to see where you have room to complain.

Oh, and "Beholders have been asked to ease up on you guys at the onset of battle" is a bit more vauge than "Beholders have absolutely zero chance of firing their death ray early in combat."
Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:50 pm

Tasan wrote:Hi Lahgen!

AYANAMI!!!

Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone

Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'

Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:25 pm

Cirath wrote:You camped out in an area that it is not uncommon for dangerous mobs to be found in. You were subsequently killed by said mobs for your poor judgement. I fail to see where you have room to complain.

Oh, and "Beholders have been asked to ease up on you guys at the onset of battle" is a bit more vauge than "Beholders have absolutely zero chance of firing their death ray early in combat."

First off, I've spent hundreds of hours there. Those beholders didn't belong. Secondly, three times I've 'walked in' on beholders since that news of beholders not starting battles with utter gayness. Three times I've died from a proc. Doesn't seem like much of a reduction in beholder craziness.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:37 pm

Tasan wrote:And the sarcasm was because it's "Yet another Thilindel bitchfest" post. If perhaps your attitude towards things wasn't condescending perhaps people might take more notice.

We've _both_ posted in the past with emotion. I'm not allowed to post that way? I won't be coined as a certain style poster anyway *shrug* Everybody (but happy Sotana) posts negative stuff ever so often..I looked at my history of posts, and some others too. I'm not a habitual negative poster.
Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:31 am

Well, in all fairness, seems like only Sotana has the good sense to stay away from these forums, unlike the rest of us.

Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:37 am

Thilindel,

You had a saving throw against a single beam. You failed the saving throw, and the consequences of such was death.

The easing up mentioned in the news is the fact that, had you made that saving throw, you wouldn't have subsequently been hit with a force missiles and full harm beam.
Eilistraee
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:56 am

Not from a toril standpoint, but talking about D&D - I don't understand why a beholder can kill you outright. It seems a dragon should be more powerful. For a beholder to do something like that, while a dragon can't just seems weird. Does MR even help vs. all or nothing procs?
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:37 am

Thilindel wrote:First off, I've spent hundreds of hours there. Those beholders didn't belong.

By "belong" I assume you mean they dont load there. However, it is not uncommon for them to chase players into that area, as I well know. I have encountered them in that general area many times late in the boot. This does not support your complaint.

Thilindel wrote:Not from a toril standpoint, but talking about D&D - I don't understand why a beholder can kill you outright. It seems a dragon should be more powerful. For a beholder to do something like that, while a dragon can't just seems weird.

A great wyrm can wipe out a 24th level fighter in a single shot, so I wouldn't say that a dragon can't cause instant death. Not to mention that Dragons have additional immunities and protections that beholders lack. Also take into account that a dragon can rip you to shreds without the use of any magical effects at all, while a beholder without magic is a blob of useless flesh wallowing on the ground. It is sort of like saying that a lawyer doesn't have as much education as a doctor because he can't cure a disease.

Eilistraee wrote:Thilindel,

You had a saving throw against a single beam. You failed the saving throw, and the consequences of such was death.

The easing up mentioned in the news is the fact that, had you made that saving throw, you wouldn't have subsequently been hit with a force missiles and full harm beam.

Well, I think that cleared that point up nicely.
Malia
Sojourner

Postby Malia » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:20 pm

Had you walked into an aggr dragon like saks unprepaired like you walked into the beholder and im betting the outcome would be the same.

Cant even believe i opened another Thillindel thread.. they are all the same... blah blah blah make it easier.

This game has been made to easy in alot of respects, and we lose some of the hard core gamers because of it. I for one hate stupid deaths and useless deaths, but walking into a beholder unspelled and unprepaired and dying isnt stupid. Its a reasonable outcome.
Dugmaren mutters in a surly voice 'Got any new strategy or going to continue with the "throw bodies at them til they get bored"? '

Dranth group-says 'i started drinkin when i found out galzar would be here'

Nerox says 'careful she goes from 0 to bitch in .00000001 seconds'

Mugo ASSOC:: 'ah got it on my gaytimer now :P'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:46 pm

My reply to the ones who just keep it up with the 'I try to keep making it easier' - GIVE IT UP ALREADY. Thanks move along.

Except for the thread where the blue dragon loads in a main road, I just don't see it...and I didn't find any searches that show dragons hanging out in populated or popular areas.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:56 pm

Such whining from a couple players who say I try to making things easier: How bout a thread about how making use of 3 man groups to snipe and cheese stuff? That's devalued zone's rewards quite nicely. This stupidity never ends. Hell, even solo'g stuff reduces the value of the game. It's a group oriented game. Let's start a 'Blame Thilindel' section of the bbs. Maybe all 22 active players can join to try to make it 21 active.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:01 pm

Cirath wrote:
Thilindel wrote:First off, I've spent hundreds of hours there. Those beholders didn't belong.

By "belong" I assume you mean they dont load there. However, it is not uncommon for them to chase players into that area, as I well know. I have encountered them in that general area many times late in the boot. This does not support your complaint.

Hmm, reread it again.. My complaint was that it's a given that I've been welcomed to toril 3x since the news of beholders 'easing' up. Eilistraee cleared that up. Still doesn't change the outcome of the poll about beholders that was held earlier.

Oh

Malia wrote:Cant even believe i opened another Thillindel thread..

And I can't believe I wasted my time reading Pava bitch about Thilindel response...blah blah.
Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:51 pm

Malia wrote:Cant even believe i opened another Thillindel thread.. they are all the same... blah blah blah make it easier.

This game has been made to easy in alot of respects, and we lose some of the hard core gamers because of it.

...?

daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:14 pm

dude, how many times have I got to tell you,

THE COMMAND IS CALLED SCAN.

Now stop your bitching, and accept the fact that you were smited by a powerful mob which DOES in fact live in those mines where you did indeed camp, (tho usually n00bs dont see them because they are usally locked away), simply because once again, you failed to look ahead. (and if darkness is a problem, in dangerous rooms, you can at least try running in and out until you know you are in a safer area)

You should also be glad that beholders dont have the disintegrate beam anymore, which IS in the DnD books, and which is instant death for most any player, as well as perma destruction of your eq.

Also, take any derogatory comments you have about my mental health/political standing and shove them deep up the smoking hole that beholder made in your corpse, tyvm.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:15 pm

I just wish I were elite and could publicly chastise others for posting, then complain about wasting my time.

Oh, how I'd die to be THIS elite!

Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:21 pm

Daggaz, you're just fucked up. No sugar coating it. The village called. They want their idiot back.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:52 pm

Bitchfests or otherwise useless threads you've started:
http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#163250
http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#163472
http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#163192
http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#162876
http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#163443

And that was just a few minutes of looking. Seriously, give it a rest. Or save us all the trouble and post 1 thread per week of Thilindel's Weekly Bitch and just put all of them for the week in there. Then the rest of us can ignore it.

Obviously you are unhappy with the way the game is played, so maybe it's not for you.

Btw, nice attack on Daggaz who was telling you straight up what you would hear from 90% of the populace here.

Oh and your poll of course... which says players think beholders are difficult... which they should be? What relevance does that have AT all?

Callarduran
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Callarduran » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:12 pm

Locked, since this has turned into nothing more than a flame-fest.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”