Sequester

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Botef
Sojourner

Sequester

Postby Botef » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:43 pm

SEQUESTER
Spell.

Area of effect: <victim>
Aggressive: No
Cumulative: No
Duration: Dependant on the proficency of the caster
Class/Circle: Illusionist 7th
Type of spell: Illusion

This spell creates a veil of shadows covering the victim, thus
making it impossible to scry the victim through magical means.
Clairvoyance, and any magical teleport spell that targets the
victim
will not work while the victim is protected by the veil.

Can this spell be made to prevent blink? Thanks!
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:32 pm

No, the guy's standing IN the room casting it on you. You're clearly, visibly his target.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:42 pm

What does being able to see the target have to do with the magical protection (note that word 'protection') afforded by a spell? The help file seems pretty explicit to me, or maybe it just doesn't translate well into Stupid.
Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:33 pm

any magical teleport spell that targets the
victim will not work while the victim is protected by the veil.

seems like blink shouldn't work either.
Kaisi tells you 'get smirn, he's better than me'
--HELP! My legs aren't long enough!--
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:29 pm

I was going by the fact that mobs are using an unseen target like dim, etc. Considering the point of the spell is to hide and not be a target I guess.

This spell creates a veil of shadows covering the victim, thus
making it impossible to scry the victim through magical means.
Clairvoyance, and any magical teleport spell that targets the
victim will not work while the victim is protected by the veil.

Don't know. Even translating stupid tells me the spell is for hiding. He's in the same room. This isn't like dim/relo. You are right there watching the target to cast blink. But if we're gonna play the 'DUH' game, lets go back where yuan-ti were described as super intelligent. A) Since they're as smart as Gnomes, which aren't as smart as Greyelf, the Yuan's file was rewritten.

Bob casts 'sequester' on himself. c 'blink' bob. Bob tries to tell you 'Shh, I'm not here, stupid!'

Ah, and for shits n grins:

< 297h/297H 110v/110V >
< P: std > You start chanting...

< 297h/297H 110v/110V >
< P: std >
Casting: sequester ****

< 297h/297H 110v/110V >
Casting: sequester ***

< 297h/297H 110v/110V >
Casting: sequester **

< 297h/297H 110v/110V >
Casting: sequester *

< 297h/297H 110v/110V >
You are hungry.
You are thirsty.

< 297h/297H 110v/110V >
The town crier shouts 'The ship heading for Calimport leaves in two hours, folks!'
You complete your spell...
You feel cut off from the rest of the world...

< 297h/297H 110v/110V >
< P: std > c 'teleport'
You start chanting...

< 297h/297H 110v/110V >
Casting: teleport *

< 297h/297H 110v/110V >
You complete your spell...
The Path of Holy Warriors
Exits: -E -W

Remove casting teleport while sequestered? If you want logic, go all the way. If you want verbatim, that would be drudgery for all the helpfiles.
Abbayarra
Sojourner

cool idea

Postby Abbayarra » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:00 pm

I reallylike the idea of sequester preventing any teleportation, including word of recall. I'd like to use it as an offensive spell against those damn mobs that work or blink.
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:18 pm

Hey Thil, how about we wait for an immortal response instead of carrying on with the "your stupid" - "NO, your stupid" game, that skill has to be maxed by now...k thanks.

"Clairvoyance, and any magical teleport spell that TARGETS the
VICTIM <--------"

Help blink

Area of effect: <victim>
Type of spell: Teleportation

Can an immortal please comment on this before the thread gets locked? :)
I bring it up for two reasons, one I thought it might be and oversight and two, because Nerospank(tm) insists of blinking me at every turn :P

On a side note, Dimension Door, Summon, Relocate doesn't require the target to be 'unseen'...You can dim/summon/relo to someone in the same room as you, so the argument that they should be able to blink you because they can see you doesn't add up in my book.

No need for people to get their panties in a knot.
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'

// Post Count +1
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:54 pm

Botef wrote:Hey Thil, how about we wait for an immortal response instead of carrying on with the "your stupid" - "NO, your stupid" game, that skill has to be maxed by now...k thanks.

?
?
?
Try reading Gormal's 'translating Stupid.' before thinking I was referring to you or your idea.

What I was saying is the point of Sequester was to prevent you from being observed from afar or being a target from an outside source moving upon you. When they are in the room already, how is one to prevent this? I feel the description of the spell wasn't taking this into consideration. If it were so easy, the twink factor, a.k.a. casting blink on a mob, would be fun and ..more fun. Summon takes consent for player/player. I can see why blink doesn't, given the haste of a situation.
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:36 pm

Never said you were directing it at me, I'd just appreciate it if you'd just ignore it rather than carry it on so the thread doesn't get locked...

Anywho, can we get some god clarification pleaseums.

// Post Count +1
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:24 pm

Botef wrote:because Nerospank(tm) insists of blinking me at every turn :P

My lawyer has advised me to get an order to cease and desist this infringement of my patent. Nerox you are hereby warned that any further attempts to infringe upon my work will be treated as treasonous and you will be subject to the maximum penalty under law.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:42 pm

I wouldn't worry too much, Nerox. His "enforcer" is Targsk.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:02 am

Whooped your ass plenty of times in arena, Jake! :P
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:05 am

Tasan wrote:My lawyer has advised me to get an order to cease and desist this infringement of my patent. Nerox you are hereby warned that any further attempts to infringe upon my work will be treated as treasonous and you will be subject to the maximum penalty under law.

You should renew your patent. I haven't seen any good, old-fashioned FlandersBlinks (tm) in a while.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Vikaz
Sojourner

Postby Vikaz » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:12 am

Sorry about that, I'll log on if he'll consent/relo to me in DK morgue..
Yasden wrote:
Tasan wrote:My lawyer has advised me to get an order to cease and desist this infringement of my patent. Nerox you are hereby warned that any further attempts to infringe upon my work will be treated as treasonous and you will be subject to the maximum penalty under law.

You should renew your patent. I haven't seen any good, old-fashioned FlandersBlinks (tm) in a while.
V
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:51 am

I don't see what you want to achieve with sequester preventing blink, recall etc.

I can read the description, but have always thought about it like a non-detect for scry and summon.

Can you give any good combat situation where you don't want a fellow groupmember to be able to blink you?

Besides it would be cast on mobs to prevent wording, that would be a good feature ofcourse.
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:36 pm

I think the intent of sequester is to protect you from mobs, not your fellow players. It seems all inbound traffic is blocked - can't look at or tele -to- sequestered people. Sequester does not stop the mage from teleporting, folding, relocating, blinking.... I expect it does stop friendly summons, but it is a beneficial spell in its intent. I think if you think of it that way you'll understand the implementation being what it is.

Whether people want to change it to be an offensively useful spell is another question (stop mobs from getting away with their own spells). I think if you're just looking to stop other players from blinking you, well, I wouldn't want to change the spell for that reason. It is a better spell (more helpful) the way it is. It would suck to have a nasty trying to summon you and have to wait for sequester to drop to dim to the group or to relocate etc.

My 2 cents :)
Iyced / Torgu / Iysor
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Re: cool idea

Postby Llaaldara » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:10 pm

Abbayarra wrote:I reallylike the idea of sequester preventing any teleportation, including word of recall. I'd like to use it as an offensive spell against those damn mobs that work or blink.

Working mobs are stupid. I shall now eye-blink them out of existence!
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:21 pm

I think the help file for sequester should be rewritten so that it says, 'any teleport-type spells cast on the target by anyone other than the target will not work..'

Its interesting enough that summon gets screwed up, but in the interests of game mechanics, i think it would really just be a huge pain in the ass if mages couldn't teleport themselves around in zones requiring sequester.

At any rate, looking at the definition of sequester itself, 'to remove, set apart, or segregate,' it definitely seems like a 'hide from others' spell. Whether they are in the same room or not seems moot, tho. Its not real life hiding, as in 'you cant physical see me' -the spell doesnt block light rays, it blocks incoming teleport spells. Spells originating from within the sequestered region wouldnt exactly be incoming however, and should still work.

As far as blink not working, well yeah, according to this definition then Nonox shouldn't be able to blink you while you are sequestered. But you really wanna shout out loud and get things changed (to our clear disadvantage) just because one guy likes to screw around in zones? I feel real sorry then for people in big nasty fights with mobs that both summon and para. I can think of several right now, where player deaths will go thru the roof if blink and sequester are mutually exclusive.

Just my two cents.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”