Shaman Spirits in Hometowns

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Jurdex
Sojourner

Shaman Spirits in Hometowns

Postby Jurdex » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:33 am

Can a forger/admin/god/official please explain why Spirit totems are not allowed in hometowns but various elementals are?

I've wondered that since the beginning.. I don't follow the logic, and would love to understand it.

Thank. :)

Dornax
Jurdex
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:41 am

I've always been told it's because spirits are undead. Ooh, we can't have that! *sigh* Not sure why not on the elementals tho *shrug* Definitely never made sense to me.
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:17 am

I've heard the undead comment before, but never from a game administrator.. and I can't say that it makes sense to allow extraplanar beings there but not a spirit.

And no, I'm not trying to get elementals banished from towns!

Dornax
Jurdex
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Re: Shaman Spirits in Hometowns

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:45 am

Jurdex wrote:Can a forger/admin/god/official please explain why Spirit totems are not allowed in hometowns but various elementals are?

I've wondered that since the beginning.. I don't follow the logic, and would love to understand it.

Thank. :)

Dornax
Jurdex

Ignorance.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:44 pm

If I had to guess, I would say that since spirits are undead and all undead are banished from hometowns that they, too, are banished--not from the standpoint that spirits are evil, but simply because it's probably too difficult to change the coding. *shrug*
loshaenar
Sojourner

Postby loshaenar » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:34 am

think again on the elemental front..

try conjuring a fire elemental in front of the door guards in MH. It's fun. if you're not sure after they bash and smote u, or the elites tie u up and drag u before the justice dude on the path of shadows... then try again...

also..please post the results on the logs section for me :)

cheers

tai, bong, elv etc.
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:20 pm

The code says undead are all treated the same in certain areas regardless of type. For years, we haven't differentiated between undead because it has not been a major point of interest aside from the occasional question about it.

The rule is a rule left over from the days of Mystra, iirc, to help eliminate the exp slaughter of guards in HT's, specifically WD. The rule itself is archaic and serves no real purpose any longer except simply to avoid the justice-killing of players who bring/use pets of this type in hometowns. However, the code still would need to be updated in order to have a rule change be of any use. Until then, these types of undead pets could not be treated any differently than any of the corpse style undead.

Hope the explanation helps.
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:40 pm

I -heart- Shar

Sorry Shev! =D
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:54 pm

Why not just make a npc type called spirit?
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:27 am

Shar, thank you for the detailed response..

Is there any timetable on changing this? It's so frustrating to lose a pet because you're on the south side of WD and you want to go northside.. (yeah, I know there are ways around this, so save it, heh)

It's such a pain! :(

Dornax
Jurdex
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:20 pm

Well, without going into any of Shevy's area, 2.0 will entirely address this issue......

If it happens to be a big need (not just annoyance) before 2.0 I'll put in a code request change. At this point I'm not sure it should take any kind of priority over what is currently being done, however all of us do need to take a break from time to time to work on other things, and this might end up getting on the short list because of its nature and timely discussions.

If you'd like to explain briefly the need, it could help. :)
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:15 am

Shar wrote:Well, without going into any of Shevy's area, 2.0 will entirely address this issue......

If it happens to be a big need (not just annoyance) before 2.0 I'll put in a code request change. At this point I'm not sure it should take any kind of priority over what is currently being done, however all of us do need to take a break from time to time to work on other things, and this might end up getting on the short list because of its nature and timely discussions.

If you'd like to explain briefly the need, it could help. :)

Well, it's been an annoyance since I've known Shaman existed, so by the length of the annoyance it has become a need, I'd say! :D

No, seriously, without knowing the timetable of 2.0's introduction I can't determine if this justifies precendence over any other project.. if 2.0 is a month or two away, by all means ignore the request and shaman can wait it out. However, if 2.0 is more than a month or two from implementation then I think that for the sake of keeping the mud's current population as vibrant as it currently is, this is something worth doing. I'm under no illusions this change will necessarily cause someone to quit or someone to play, but I certainly think it is one that is overdue and necessary. I know I would be a lot more active if I didn't have the obstacle of which side of WD to summon my totem.. I logged off the other day because of the issue. I had to tog my totem and had three fresh summons, then I failed all three spirit totem requests. It's just not worth the hassle sometimes.

A shaman shouldn't be handicapped because they have a totem. Especially since they have a limited amount of summons per week and they can fail.

Thanks in advance for all considerations.

Dornax
Jurdex
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:36 pm

Heal undead actually works on them . . . I guess not many necros have tried being a healer for xp, though :P
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:26 pm

As a lich, my spellcast healing is maxed.
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:55 am

Along these lines...

Why can spirit undeads be vitted, and raised undead cannot?

Down with the discrimination...hate all undead alike, or the Undead Civil Rights Union will sue yer ass...
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:22 am

and can we PLEASE get rid of the limit shamans can summon per day?

Elementalists roll shamans all day for soloability, and summoning infinite air elementals. Sure it's a dead horse, but a dead horse is also what it feels like playing as a shaman. *shrug* It's the only class I absolutely hate.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”