My thoughts, comments, etc on multi-play...

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Vooku
Sojourner

My thoughts, comments, etc on multi-play...

Postby Vooku » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:44 pm

I had a ball during the multi permissible weekend. Unfortunately, I had to spend most of it leveling my elf ranger to 20 so he could meet up with my level 23 shaman.

I played here long ago (10+ years) and had a 50 shammy named Rynuk. Much has changed since then, most notably the amount of players playing. I remember times of nearly 200 players, making pretty easy to find groups. Now it’s tough to find someone of similar level, and when you do it’s usually a twink character that is loaded with great gear. When grouping with one of these characters I usually feel like a burden or hindrance. I’m sure they could solo level faster than with me tagging along. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the mud mechanics was build around group exp to level, not soloing.

This weekend I enjoyed leveling two of my characters together. I found that a shammy / ranger duo is very effective. Too bad I can’t find a “normalâ€
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:01 am

Don't underestimate your chars.

As example the 23 shaman. He has a few cure crits. They take some time to pray, but beats resting for hp, even for a highlevel warrior.

You should not be afraid to ask tanks above your level to group. I agree there are a few that can level faster alone, but e.g. warriors cannot because they can't get hp.

My advice is you ask very highlevel warriors (level 40-49) if they need small healing, some will say yes, some no.

And, if someone drags you along as a pity char then just accept it and stay in group.
ssar
Sojourner

Re: My thoughts, comments, etc on multi-play...

Postby ssar » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:33 am

Vooku wrote:I had a ball during the multi permissible weekend.

Unlimited (like this weekend) on a more regular basis…on weekends, one weekend per month, on holidays, etc?

Well said.

Agree, I had fun too.

I had 5 chars grouped together doing a few little things most of the time, tho I believe some folks ran with 6 or 8 chars @ once!

+1 vote for more regular multi event weekends, 1 every few months or something?
BEER
Zoldren
Sojourner

Re: My thoughts, comments, etc on multi-play...

Postby Zoldren » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:00 pm

ssar wrote:Well said.

Agree, I had fun too.

I had 5 chars grouped together doing a few little things most of the time, tho I believe some folks ran with 6 or 8 chars @ once!

+1 vote for more regular multi event weekends, 1 every few months or something?

I was running 8 or 9 depending.. was great.. everyone leveled except my mages :(

I think next time i wont use so many.

Maybe we could do it every first or last saturday of a month? + holidays, Shevy and shar's birthday, new babys birthday, (every month till 1 year + yearly) umm... :) well or until 2.0 which ever is first :)
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:11 am

Great post. You hit the nail on the head.

I also support multi play. Never really understood what was so bad about it.

I remember 10+ years ago when I first logged on and thought "warrior and a cleric would make a good team" and then discovered that multi wasn't allowed. I was so bummed but here I am years later because this game is a ton of fun and offers community and imagination. Let's not let it die.

At the time, the who list was 200+. Unfortunately, now we are lucky if we have 50 players on. At this point in the MUD's life, if we can attract even 10 new players by allowing multi, then I think it's worth it. Let's face it, most people use multi to bring new characters into the fold, not farm EQ. In fact, farming good EQ by soloing and multiplaying is extremely difficult.

I tried to run 10 chars last multi time to do TTF3 and got spanked royally. I had about 20 char deaths and left with zero EQ. I had macros, a wide screen monitor with 10 windows, broadband, etc. I thought I would romp, loot, and leave. Boy was I mistaken. I think I would have been succesful eventually, but there's a price to pay for a significant learning curve to multiplaying.

I say we allow unlimited multiplaying. I predict it might initially attract players. I also predict tolerance for multi while zoning on behalf of the leaders would be low (simply because playing errors would be more frequent). In that regard it would be limited in a way by the players themselves.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:06 am

RYNUK.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:44 pm

what's/was bad about multi is newbies don't get into groups and they would get frustrated and quit. I hate to say it but newbies don't get into group because of the "grouping penalty"....
In the new 2.0 the exp and grouping issuses are supose to be solved so multi probably won't be needed, but until then limited multi has it's attractions. Just don't ignore the newbies.
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'
Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:43 pm

newbies would be allowed to multi too tho .. where is the downside? A noob has a mage and a warrior (example) in noob town and rocks it, where a solo noob mage has trouble (do-able but hard)

As Jhorr said, multi in zones is harder then *most* of us think ... (altho some have done it) and he is one of our older, experienced players .. I see zoming still as a group of different people, maybe a couple multi-playing but most wont if they want to doa great job ..

Lol imagine a one group with Ross and a few of his rogues *grin* smmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmash!
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Auril
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Auril » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:38 pm

The down side is that this is a complex game. If you need to learn how to play, and also how to operate a warrior and a cleric and a mage all from scratch, it can be enough to strongly encourage them to never return.
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:33 pm

Auril wrote:The down side is that this is a complex game. If you need to learn how to play, and also how to operate a warrior and a cleric and a mage all from scratch, it can be enough to strongly encourage them to never return.

That is absolutely wrong. This game and any of these games are not overly complicated. It'd probably do more good than harm if they're able to play 2 chars to keep them going. Ever since leaving Sojourn I've maintained 2-3 accounts and chars on every game I've played simply for the convience factor. None of those games were any more complex than sojourn was.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:54 am

Auril wrote:The down side is that this is a complex game. If you need to learn how to play, and also how to operate a warrior and a cleric and a mage all from scratch, it can be enough to strongly encourage them to never return.

But it's each person's choice whether to multi or not. The true newb might not want to, but at least they would know the option was there for them. They might take the time to test the classes first, then know that they could multi if they wanted.

Here's the thing. On any given day, Lilithelle (thank god), or sometimes Teba or someone else, will lead a zone or two each night. That's it, not 5 zones like before, but one or two. If we get on late or if it's a guild-mostly group, we miss zoning that night. This is because there aren't enough active players on at a given time to usually permit more than one full group for zoning. That's the practical day to day activity today.

Now, if we permit multi, I can grab three or four guys, each of them logs in ONE other char, and we have a good group to do a nice-ish zone and pass the time.

Heck, for starters you might try doing multi only one day each week, and see how things go. Hell, even limit it to only ONE other char per player. Just see what unfolds. It's worth a shot.
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:47 am

i suggested this earlier in the year maybe last yer. but why not let us hire mercenaries??
merc level 1-5 100 copper per mud day
6-11 500 copper per day
12-17 1 g per mud day
18-24 100 g per day
25-30 1 p per day
31-36 10 p per day
37-42 100 p per day
42-47 1000 p per day

this being on a scale for a tank class merc. to purchase a merc you must be above the minimum level you may not purchase a merc above your own level. different pay scales for different classes. i think the classes available should be warrior cleric mage. only 2 merc (not exceeding your total level) would be able to be employed at any given time.

i realize that this would probably be not easy to code.... but it would solve alot of the xp grouping problems.. got a mage? hire a tank maybe a cleric too... just break up the levels a bit.to be fair make it so that like players the mobs only have so many spell slots per day. for example a 21st cleric would only have 1 heal per day. no memming just 1 per day. anyways thats my 2 cents... i didnt get to play on mutli weekend i logged on but then something came up and i was gone for the rest of it....
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:10 pm

Adriorn Darkcloak wrote:
Auril wrote:
Here's the thing. On any given day, Lilithelle (thank god), or sometimes Teba or someone else, will lead a zone or two each night. That's it, not 5 zones like before, but one or two. If we get on late or if it's a guild-mostly group, we miss zoning that night. This is because there aren't enough active players on at a given time to usually permit more than one full group for zoning. That's the practical day to day activity today.

Now, if we permit multi, I can grab three or four guys, each of them logs in ONE other char, and we have a good group to do a nice-ish zone and pass the time.

Heck, for starters you might try doing multi only one day each week, and see how things go. Hell, even limit it to only ONE other char per player. Just see what unfolds. It's worth a shot.

Trust me trying to get evil zone groups if theirs already 1 goodie zone group is next to impossible :( And i've only see it once since I've been back...
I spent 5 hours yesterday trying to get a group for crypts, ended up falling back to gith for lack of people.

If you where able to multi (up to a max of 2 chars/person) then it could have been done. granted more room for spank but still... it would have been possible.
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:37 am

Currently, if you need a rare you have to get it within the first hour of boot 95% of the time.

Currently, if you want to zone you have to get onto the mud at 6-8pm EST to stand a chance of going 85% of the time.

Currently, if you want to level a char non-solo you spend 30 min - 1 hour looking for the right small group classes if you're not on during peek time.

Currently, you cannot log on more than 1 char at a time to make your own adventure group.

Given this pattern, is it any wonder the pbase is where it is with 70+ hour boots?

This idea may not work, but it does increase the viewable number of people on the who list. It also peeks interest. Would you rather I spend my time- and deaths- attempting to make my own legendary story of "soloing" various places and enjoying the content...or would you rather I go play WoW because I logged on 20 minutes too late to do the only zone for the evening?
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:54 pm

Tanji Smanji wrote:That is absolutely wrong. This game and any of these games are not overly complicated. It'd probably do more good than harm if they're able to play 2 chars to keep them going. Ever since leaving Sojourn I've maintained 2-3 accounts and chars on every game I've played simply for the convience factor. None of those games were any more complex than sojourn was.

It's not complicated after you learn it, but a true newbie doesn't start out knowing how to write triggers and other handy things. Doesn't know their way around, where the argos are or exp places are. When I was a newbie it took me a while to learn one character so trying to run 2 would have been impossible.
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'

Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'

Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:26 pm

Latreg wrote:
Tanji Smanji wrote:That is absolutely wrong. This game and any of these games are not overly complicated. It'd probably do more good than harm if they're able to play 2 chars to keep them going. Ever since leaving Sojourn I've maintained 2-3 accounts and chars on every game I've played simply for the convience factor. None of those games were any more complex than sojourn was.

It's not complicated after you learn it, but a true newbie doesn't start out knowing how to write triggers and other handy things. Doesn't know their way around, where the argos are or exp places are. When I was a newbie it took me a while to learn one character so trying to run 2 would have been impossible.

actually when i was a newbie i had no problems...i expetect the worst around every corner... (especially since i read the evil disclaimer and rolled an evil for my first char....)
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:38 pm

Latreg wrote:

Learning one character is no different from learning two. You know the priest/tank/dps breakdown ok, there's a channel to have questions answered and people all over the world figure out these much harder to learn MMORPG's all the time. No one even said you had to make 2 chars right off the bat, but once you get the basics down you will have the option of making that cleric to go with your warrior, or that elementalist for your pal/sk. As it stands now, if yer new and can't find help at the right time you're stuck in the mindless grind of hopefully killing low exp mobs until you turn blue in the face.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Vooku
Sojourner

Postby Vooku » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:17 am

Ragorn! Sup buddy!

Glad to see some good discussion going on here. I'm hoping some of it is catching a Forger or two's attention =o).

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”