Spellbook and multiple classes

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Gukov
Sojourner

Spellbook and multiple classes

Postby Gukov » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:50 pm

It is currently not possible to scribe in a spellbook that has been scrawled in by a different race. It is also not possible to scribe spells from multiple classes in one book, even if the scribers are of the same race. This second restriction kind of put a dent in my plan to fill a 500 page book for shared use between an elementalist and invoker.

I guess it seems a little silly that a spellbook takes on a 'class' when it is scribed in. I don't have a problem with the race bit really... I suppose that can reasonably be explained as language. Any chance this could be touched up so that massive books can be filled for extensive use?

Thanks!
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:44 pm

And how many pages would detect magic fill in said spellbook?
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:12 pm

Disoputlip wrote:And how many pages would detect magic fill in said spellbook?

the same amount .. if the classes both have detect mag at different circles, it'd need to be scribed twice .. or the greater of the two if i am reading this correctly .. it's only be a page or two difference in any case

I tend to agree .. but keep it race based .. ie: humans can use any book humans scribe, gnomes read gnome books, etc ..
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:53 pm

SO your telling me. that you guys have never seen instructions in different languages in the same pamphlet?

really.....

It shouldn't matter what race/class you are. If your class/race can read the book great for you. ANY race (even ogres) can tell when a page is blank, and you are able to write in it....

as far as usage though.. if the spells the same spell & circle great use it, doesnt matter if it was a human detect invisible or drow detect invisible, if you can read it good on you. If not.. write it in a blank page ...
Drogga
Sojourner

Postby Drogga » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:36 am

good idea....

as long as there are blank pages, different races/class should be able to scribe in and can only use what spell they scribe it in.
Gukov
Sojourner

Postby Gukov » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:06 am

A human voker can already use any spells from a yuan-ti elementalist book that are also invoker spells. For example, my elementalist had scribed cone of cold as 6th circle and I didn't need to scribe it in my other voker book even though it's considered a different circle and in a different language.

I then tried to enlist a yuan-ti invoker to scribe other voker spells in the book so that I could just use the one but it wouldn't permit him to because of class restrictions on the book.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:31 pm

I've always wanted this for my drow necro and drow enchanter since I have a 500pp book...

But doesn't all of this become moot when 2.0 is implemented (whenever we hear from Mom and Dad again...) and spellbooks become bound to the wizard they belong to?
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:25 am

This will all be moot in 2.0, when you won't be able to transfer spellbooks at all.

Shevarash wrote:There will be a vast amount of spells in 2.0, and many of them will be in this format. In this way, spell collecting becomes an integral part of the game and separates the novice spell casters from the highly learned. As a side note, spellbooks are now tied to their caster and cannot be transferred or taught out of - so everyone must collect their own spells.

Introduction to the 2.0 Magic thread it says this, in the Spell List section, Acquiring Spells subsection, last paragraph.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:16 am

removed just because
Last edited by Ambar on Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:58 am

It can be a good idea that you like, but if its going to become moot, why waste anyone's time including a coder's?
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:33 pm

Lilira wrote:It can be a good idea that you like, but if its going to become moot, why waste anyone's time including a coder's?

otherwise coders will be bored till areas is done converting? :P
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:39 pm

We have coders? :?:
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:11 pm

Nope. Not a one :)
Eilistraee
Shevarash
FORGER CODER