Dev News: Roots Update

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Dev News: Roots Update

Postby Shevarash » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:37 pm

The next classic zone in line for some updates is the old favorite known simply as Roots. This update probably won't be as extensive as the Cave City changes, but will definitely consist of new equipment, an ANSI update (the current zone is colorless), and a new fight or two.

The object isn't to drastically change this zone, but to update it for the times and make it viable and worth doing again. I don't have an ETA yet, but will post here when I do.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:35 pm

I'd really like to see the one-ways removed. The old version of roots was really who a 4-man zone until the last fight.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:37 pm

Well, I think the one-ways are what make this zone unique. Rather than just remove them, my goal is to engage the rest of the group more often via other methods.
Ghimok
Sojourner

Postby Ghimok » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:32 pm

I agree that the one ways are the signature of the zone. Don't remove them please.

I just wish that people would let warriors clear the single file rooms like the days of old instead of just having to efhrs do it.

Maybe now that I'm packing 63 damroll on my warrior I'll get to do it!
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:24 pm

Shevarash wrote:Well, I think the one-ways are what make this zone unique. Rather than just remove them, my goal is to engage the rest of the group more often via other methods.

k
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:11 pm

I'm kind of surprised that people have asked to engage the group. For a great many people that's what made roots appealing - they could go on a 15 minute break and have a fight waiting for them when they returned.

Well, anyway, it'll be interesting.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:39 am

8)

Roots was boring and ask any pit fiend: one ways are retarded. While fighting there, we use a weird work-around to only one man fighting via the recline-flee maneuver: basically bypassing how the one way rules are supposed to work. If you're to spruce up this zone, you'll want to remove the one ways and add in more fights than just the end one with treasure, seeing as the belt was the only item worth a lick.

-Yayaril

The more I think about it- remove one way rooms altogether. They don't make sense in a game designed around group combat and they don't make sense when creature size is not taken into consideration.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:40 pm

roots is one of the truly unique zones in the game. Its one of the few zones where there is a sense of urgency and a chance for spank (by getting caught in !magic or crazy proccage at tree). I'd really hate to see those qualities diminshed.

IMO this is an example of a zone ruined by the eq calcr. In order to give out a decent reward, the zone had to be made harder. This was done by making the final fight require more people. At the end of the day you just have more bored people for a reward that was so so even 2 years ago.

Here is some out of the box thinking, reduce the # of people required and increase the reward. Why does every zone have to be "balanced" against every other. Some deserve to be unique. It doesn't hurt to have a few select zones that transcend the eq calcr. Maybe this would bring some zone "competition" back.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:15 pm

I don't use the eq calculator. My goal is to preserve the uniqueness of Roots and make it worth doing, not to transform it to fit into the template of a standard zone. Don't worry. :)
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:39 am

Hey Shev, I'm curious.

How many of these zone revamps are also pulling them into line for easy conversion? I know its easy to seem like I'm single-minded, but its just idle curiosity. :-)

Thanks.
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:29 pm

most one ways = a bored group, look at the entrance to cc, now there's what 5 mobs instead of the one? yawn. Make 2 way rooms, so 2 people can fight side by side, at least then we can spell them up and watch some of the action. The 3 beholders blocking in hulburg are lame too, why not just have one? I mean what's the point of some of these? Glad to see attention given to roots, I think the oneways are appropriate given it's a dug out tunnel, it would vary in width etc. I like the fact that the rest of the group will be engaged, thanks I like your thinking.
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'
Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:42 pm

1. The first room in CC is not single file any longer. It was a bug that has been fixed.

2. I know that single files can be annoying. However, it's ok for there to be one zone that uses them extensively, and that zone is Roots. If you're not a big fan of Roots, maybe you'll like the next update better.

Lilira -

Conversion is already automated and easy, so there's nothing really to gain on that front. Although any new equipment I create is definitely statted with the upcoming conversion in mind.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:14 pm

:-)

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question Shev.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:44 pm

and thats why shev is our fearless leader!

If only we could convince shev not to sleep at night and quit his day job.
grundar
Sojourner

Postby grundar » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:35 pm

Latreg wrote:The 3 beholders blocking in hulburg are lame too, why not just have one?

change that to one beholder with a deathyawnproc that kills whoever's in the room at the time nod me

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”