Dev News - Spell Focus Item Effects

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Dev News - Spell Focus Item Effects

Postby Shevarash » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:30 pm

NEW FEATURE - Spell Focus Item Effects

Spell casters have always had a somewhat more limited selection of equipment effects to look for, and none of those effects made spell casters particularly more effective at their primary jobs within a group. To correct this issue, as well as add some more equipment variety, we have added a set of new effects called Spell Focus. There is one item effect for each major type of magic, and each point gives you a 1% bonus to all spells cast of that type. It works a lot like specialization does, but you are not limited by your class type.

For example, a druid who wears 10 points of Spell Focus: Healing will see a 10% increase in all healing spells, resulting in better vits, more hitpoints healed, etc. An Enchanter who wears 15 points of Spell Focus: Enchantment will have hastes, dragonscales, and other spells that last 15% longer or are 15% more effective.

The total bonus for any one spell type is currently 25%, meaning that you can potentially get a 25% bonus to all spell types, but no more. That cap may change in the future once we observe the effect of these items.

There are no items in the game yet that feature these effects, but you can look for them in forthcoming new zones and zone updates. The complete list of spell effects is:
    Spell Focus: Invocation
    Spell Focus: Illusion
    Spell Focus: Healing
    Spell Focus: Summoning
    Spell Focus: Protection
    Spell Focus: Necromancy
    Spell Focus: Enchantment
    Spell Focus: Spirit
    Spell Focus: Nature
    Spell Focus: Elemental

Spell Focus and 2.0:

When 2.0 goes live, all Spell Focus effects will be converted to the closest equivalent spell school OR spell subtype to approximate the previous usage as closely as possible.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:32 pm

First
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:43 pm

8)

Now all the casters are going to actually have a decision to make when it comes to equipment!
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:51 pm

So can i get modifiers on my group heals?

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:18 pm

Bad.

Ass.

Now we get to hear less of rogues bitching for hastes!

Get those SFE points, chanters! Chopchop!
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:43 am

Dalar wrote:So can i get modifiers on my group heals?

Group heal is a healing spell, so Spell Focus: Healing will make you heal more hitpoints with that spell.
Malvareth
Sojourner

Postby Malvareth » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:52 am

This sounds good. Hopefully it'll add more depth to the caster classes. I have one suggestion to contribute with: make focus a choice, not just something that comes along with the bext +hp/+max_int equipment. Make your average invoker choose between a bunch focus that increases his damage or those extra 200hp/15max_int/-5svsp that the eq slots would have otherwise given him.
My biggest claim to fame is spending the first twenty years of my life two kilometers from the university where DIKU was created. Should that make me sad or proud?
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:58 am

The spell focus effects take up one of the two item effect slots, so you will have to make a choice to get it, as that second slot was previously where saving throws, max int, MR, etc are today on hitpoint equipment.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:43 am

hot damn

this is good news

this is exactly what casters have needed to be competitive
muxxissinix
Sojourner

Postby muxxissinix » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:53 am

This is going to affect NPCs ?
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:07 am

Well, NPCs could wear these items, yes...
Malvareth
Sojourner

Postby Malvareth » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:25 am

this is exactly what casters have needed to be competitive

Are they that incompetitive?
My biggest claim to fame is spending the first twenty years of my life two kilometers from the university where DIKU was created. Should that make me sad or proud?
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:24 am

Cool for druids and maybe shamans who who can do different things... might see a new standard set of gear to attain for chanters and vokers! PWNED...

I like it though!
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:13 pm

Shevarash wrote:
Dalar wrote:So can i get modifiers on my group heals?

Group heal is a healing spell, so Spell Focus: Healing will make you heal more hitpoints with that spell.

Right, but afaik healing for heal/group heal is capped at 90 regardless of skill. It's been a while since my spellcast healing was below 90.

Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:04 pm

It's not modified by the Spellcast skills, but by the Specialize skills. Since Shamans are spec'd in Spirit, you never see more than the un-specced maximum for your heals and gheals, which happens to be 90.

Wearing Spell Focus: Healing will increase that maximum, as if you had a small specialization in the spell type.
Fibble
Sojourner

Postby Fibble » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:56 pm

So theoratically it would be possible for a caster to carry around buncha gears for each spell focus school and remove/wear/cast? Kinda like warriors golf bag except its mage's wardrobe?

For example,

shammie w/ spellfocus gears for heal and spirit could spam and change gear to cast group heal and then switch back to spirit gear to throw out ancestoral fury?
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:05 pm

Yes.
Malvareth
Sojourner

Postby Malvareth » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:41 pm

Sure, but you can't change most gear in combat so you'd have to decide if it's worth the trouble of disengaging and swapping around to get +25% (or less) to your 100hp heal.
shalath
Sojourner

Postby shalath » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:05 pm

Is there a going to be a new skill introduced: quick change artist?
[Profile edited by Board Admin. If you can't be civil, we'll fix it for you. -ed]
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:59 am

What about Spell Focus: Ale?

Mmmmm.
BEER
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:57 pm

Will we be able to see our accumulated spell focus % under attributes or skills?
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:25 pm

Yes, the "attributes" command will display spell focus modifiers.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:07 pm

Shevarash wrote:It's not modified by the Spellcast skills, but by the Specialize skills. Since Shamans are spec'd in Spirit, you never see more than the un-specced maximum for your heals and gheals, which happens to be 90.

Wearing Spell Focus: Healing will increase that maximum, as if you had a small specialization in the spell type.

I hope you add spell focus healing to hp gear because at the moment I can't spare hp as my shaman vs dragons.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”