res vs soul walk

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Zoldren
Sojourner

res vs soul walk

Postby Zoldren » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:58 am

*snip from res*...someone's soul is guided out of its current vessel and gently deposited into her remains....

so if liches can be ress'd why can't they be soul walked?
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:05 am

They have no soul. The thing is, if they followed RP/FR to the letter, liches would be absolutely screwed when it came to "death".

If the lich's phylactery is destroyed, they are destroyed forever.

When soul walk was written, it took this into account so that leaves only resurrection as the only method of getting back. Res is old school and to keep playability of the class, they had to leave it as is. I know Kia wanted to change that, though.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:08 am

Liches would be way more powerful than they are now too wouldn't they? As it stands now, when a lich dies it really sucks since we're forced to get ressed.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:14 am

Yasden summed it up pretty well. Res/revive still works for liches because it was an existing mechanic and we didn't want to hose the zonability of the class.

Due to my envisioning of how the spells work, soul walk and life walk will continue to be unable to draw a link between the caster and the undead, soulless subject.
Eilistraee
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:34 am

so either give necros a spell that requires them to lot an item (soul jar?) from the lich that they MUST carry with them. to bring them back to their body.

or give liches travel to their own corpse.... i mean hell liches in BG have timestop.... :P
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:19 am

So what happens when someone loses this "jar" to dragon breath or some other means of eq loss? :)

I don't see a problem with it. Liches are a remort class, with tons of perks and bonuses. The res issue is pretty minor, really. Not only that, but exping as a lich from what I've seen is pretty easy, since you can solo pretty much any xp zone with ease.

In zones sure, it does suck, especially in BC or ChP if you're in a rush.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:38 am

Yea I'm pretty much either going to be loading myself up with maxagi and blur potions for chp or play my bard for ChP.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:54 am

Eilistraee wrote:Due to my envisioning of how the spells work, soul walk and life walk will continue to be unable to draw a link between the caster and the undead, soulless subject.

Three years ago, I was told that lich would finally be fixed about being seen by infravision in the dark. Doesn't seem to have been fixed yet.
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:43 am

I vaguely remember that conversation. Truthfully the vision code is a pain in the butt to work with, but I'll revisit the issue and see if I can sort it out.

I do forget things, but I won't promise something I have no intention of following through on. A PM or email reminder doesn't go awry if you're still waiting for something I've said I'll do but haven't yet.
Eilistraee
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:36 am

Eilistraee wrote:I vaguely remember that conversation. Truthfully the vision code is a pain in the butt to work with, but I'll revisit the issue and see if I can sort it out.

I do forget things, but I won't promise something I have no intention of following through on. A PM or email reminder doesn't go awry if you're still waiting for something I've said I'll do but haven't yet.

meh do it in 2.0

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”