WHY THE GAME IS SLOWLY DYING - AND WHAT WOULD HELP (MY OPIN)

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.

racewar/wipe/worldmap/challenge?

yes something like that
62%
noway, never
19%
not sure
19%

Total votes: 26
Corth
Sojourner

Re: WHY THE GAME IS SLOWLY DYING - AND WHAT WOULD HELP (MY OPIN)

Postby Corth » Fri May 23, 2008 2:14 pm

There is a LOT of off-topic stuff in the toril 2.0 forum Shev. Want me to go through it and point it all out?
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri May 23, 2008 2:15 pm

Shevarash wrote:The 2.0 forum is heavily moderated

Yeah, I liked the sudden change of rules in that forum. One more example of why no one understands content rules.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri May 23, 2008 5:03 pm

No, Corth, I don't want your help. Although, if you stopped posting there would be less need for moderation overall, so that would be helpful.

Sorry you're confused Gormal. I did post an announcement in that forum. It's at the top, with a special icon. I can put it it in red forum rules if that makes it easier.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri May 23, 2008 5:44 pm

Yeah, a couple of days ago. So again a sudden change of rules with no explanation and no real reason. And since we're about to crest the 1 year mark without a 2.0 announcement, I don't see the point of wasting time moderating a forum about something that is just pure speculation at this point.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri May 23, 2008 5:55 pm

You opinion has been duly noted.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri May 23, 2008 6:24 pm

You lack of communication has been duly noted as well.

We have an accord.
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Fri May 23, 2008 7:23 pm

fair enough.
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Fri May 23, 2008 7:30 pm

ven, I meant no disrespect to the gramps who do play, more power to ya, lemme go grab yer walker for ya, don't want you breaking yer hip or anything.:) so jk. hah
bawog
Sojourner

Postby bawog » Wed May 28, 2008 1:29 am

I've been out and about not playing the game much because of the declining pbase and there being absolutly nothing to do on the mud. Somehow in that time I've found a life, and I feel that I need to add some to this thread.

Why the Game is Slowly Dying:

1. Lets take a look at TRUE new players and not just one of us old timers rolling a new alt? Not many if you ask me, and those that do come around don't stick around because this game is not meant to be taken in the solo aspect but more along the lines of a group. This can be especially frustrating to someone new, that wants to try it out but is not willing to put forth the effort to see the true beauty of this game. Who can you blame for this happening? The staff sure we can blame the staff for either being wizinvis or just not online or unresponsive. The players? Absolutly we can be blamed for this as well, the people that I see around are those who have been here literally forever and run with the same people, and occasionaly incorporating a few new faces when running zones. The new game of today? Yes, this is another key role in the demise of not just this mud but in text based games as a whole. Its highly difficult to keep up with games such as WoW who are continually adding new content and fixing things nearly immediatly, but then again we must look at toril is not a million dollar company. These are just a few of the many things that are going wrong. Now I'm not 100% sure on where shev is with 2.0 but I myself have offered to code for this game and sent emails, pm, and even petitioned a few times but alas there was no response. I know how touchy it can be allowing someone into your baby aka the code of this mud but sometimes you have to ask for the assitance so that its done quicker and new content can be added.

2. New content...The last zone to go in was what Golem Forge? That was over a year ago if memory serves me correctly. Now I know that Shev is working on 2.0 but for crying out loud if you don't continually add new zones and/or quests that it will become stagnant and you will lose what few players you have. Now I'm not sure if the area sphere does much and no offense to any of you this is just an opinion. You need to implement more zones with different tactics to it other than doing runs in and out yadda yadda yadda. If its a matter of it being difficult to transfer new zones over (which i know is not the case) then add some more in, incorporate the players input into what kind of neato zones you can create. I believe I've done ever single zone in the game probally 20+ times at least, led nearly all of them, and have come to the conclusion that in the later added zones there has been alot of "runs" added in. As this was almost needed (since Tiamat is too easy) the items that we had were too high for anyone to write a lower level zone, for the pbase that was still around.

What would help:

Code Sphere: Although I know Eili has been stepping up and fixing bugs, there needs to be a solid code sphere to help you implement 2.0 as quickly as possible. Either that be find a player with enough experience or find someone elsewhere but 1 person coding an entire revamp is a severe pain in the ass.(yes i've coded an entire mud by myself not an enjoyable experience)

Areas Sphere: Get to cracking is about all I can say, start churning out new and exciting zones for ALL levels not just the 50's that have too much gear as is but lean towards the 30-40 range and set portals to only allow certain levels to enter it or something, give the lower level classes something to do.

Admin Sphere: Hrm, well I'd personally say with the pbase the way it is today, fire all but one put them on areas and have more content going in quicker (even if its just the idea sphere). With those of us there played and are still playing whats the worse that I've seen happen (other than the banning of Corth) a horrible name? One person can snap on and get that, cause you know they will be eventually caught.

I have tried to stay constructive as possible in this post and with it I bid yall farewell, its not only the game that people allure to its also the community that has been created over the 10+ years I've played. So long and see you down the road.

Nerox/Brandon
Lonikiple group-says 'i remember this one time at izans, when nerox said tanks west, and kobob ran 2 west, and spanked the group, you guyz remember that?'

Tiamat shouts 'No, it is you who is fucked!'
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Fri May 30, 2008 1:24 pm

good post, thanks nerox. I have to say I agree with just about everything you said. I was actually talking to someone tonight about some of my hopes for 2.0 and the biggest one that came out of that was a sense of mystery that we haven't had as of late.

I was thinking back to awhile ago when goods did their first run on manscorps, I wasn't there I was a 35 bard with big aspirations heh. But I remember talking to someone that was there and he said they had been there 18 + hours and couldn't figure it out.

now i'm not saying we need a 20 + hour zone heh that's a little much but a zone that fooled us would be really awesome. Something that kicked our ass, kinda like spob did when it was first put in.

I miss that sense of mystery that doing stuff like that or even just hearing about it does to you. It's a mystique I think we've lost that I'd love to see come back. But ya, bring in the unordinary, the strange. Stuff that when we look back after finishing it we are like "wow that was crazy, I can't wait to do it again", not just your average tank, heal nukefest we have in most zones now.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Fri May 30, 2008 10:42 pm

Zones that were exactly what Flib is talking about, this wipe:

* Bronze Citadel (first patrols, actual death traps, first bleed procs, end fight, quests, etc).
* Hulburg (months to actually find the front door, numerous mysterious portals, lots of hidden rooms, keys scattered, etc).
* Clouds (first zone with perm fog, tough scattered patrols, keyword doors, lots of rares, etc).
* Vortex.
* Muspelheim (quests, rares, spells to open sections, first invasion since jot zomg, etc).
* Oakvale (epic quests, epic fights (now dumbed down), etc).

Flib, just because you weren't there for our 18 hour runs at each of these zones, doesn't mean they weren't mysterious and exciting and fun and wracked our brains. I had the distinct pleasure of being in the first group to do each of them, and I had a blast. We even failed on a couple of them and had to come back for a second or third trip before we figured most of it out (BC, Hulburg).

The main reason you don't feel the way you do any more is optimization. People want to optimize their playtime, so nobody explores. Everybody uses the same tactic at each fight, since it's the optimal way to win. Everybody follows the same path, the same leader, and does the same zones with the optimal effort/reward ratio. Nobody leads except Ellen and, rarely, a couple others. Everyone shares quest info and zone info. Each of our runs at the aforementioned zones were fully logged and shared extensively before the second wave started trying to tackle them. It's all optimized to hell and back.

You want mystery? Stop being a pure follower on a run to get the eq and go home in the fastest way possible, and instead, explore and have fun. Sotana's monday night adventures are exactly in that vein.
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Sat May 31, 2008 2:55 am

totally thought you were gonna say, "You want mystery? You can't handle mystery!" heh. But ya, i'm making an elementalist for primarily that reason although a new zone would be nice I think, you can't really say there's anything at the moment zone wise that hasn't been explored and done so many times as theyve found every shortcut imaginable. Dragonspear was pretty cool though, although it was still pretty much a straightforward tank/spank. And ya, the bel fight in bc is pretty much my favorite fight in the game, it can always go bad, that door is such a smart idea.
Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Lathander » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:01 am

There is a new town zone coming in shortly. I'm working on some flavor zones to connect this new zone to the world, but it is going a little slow. I expect to have the connection zones ready by the end of multi week. All the little zones will not have the quest stuff, but I'll follow back around and finish that rather than wait. From my understanding, the new town has a ton of quests so you'll be in good shape.

Lath
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:17 am

sweet lath, sounds pretty gravy, cant wait to check it out

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”