Limiting Outside Equipment in Scardale

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Limiting Outside Equipment in Scardale

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:25 am

From the "Case for Content In-Depth" thread:

valnass wrote:Level-restricted equipment might be a nice idea, but lets say you restrict only up to level 20. Or that your badass gear cant get into scardale. As a new player here I see this rogue come into scardale with these daggers at level one and before I ( with eq starting out with or picked up from killing) make 3 levels he's/she's 20 and gone. How is it as a new player here can I meet people on this game if their only in the newbie area for a hour or so before their over stacked char is gone and running off to better things?

You ask why the new guy/gal is gone so fast? Think about when you guys/gals who have years of playing here, when you roll that new char take the time to run with and maybe help teach us new people some tricks as you level up the same way we have to. I know it must suck having a new person ask you how's why's and where's but it's the only way you keep people here is by helping them learn. Yes the NHC is nice and that Lilithelle is great. but come on she can only do so much.

Making everyone at the start of your char level with about the same gear in scardale might help some what. You elite players may have to use this newbie warrior to tank for your new rogue/cleric/mage beacuse you can't take the hits without your badass gear helping you out. And in doing so you might have just made a new friend and or helped a new guy/gal learn something that might keep them here.

In fact maybe you can make it so no matter you have to stay in this newbie area till level something or other with out that kickass eq so old players can meet the new players of this game.

Just my 2cents. Thanks

Limiting equipment in Scardale makes perfect sense. It keeps a pristine area for low-level players and power-leveling mob hoarders out.

Excellent!
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Re: Limiting Outside Equipment in Scardale

Postby Thilindel » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:06 am

I disagree per se. A player works to get their gear. Leveling sucks ass. It's not part of the game. It's not a reason someone logs in to play. Getting zonable is why I play anyway; I guess I shouldn't say that's what others do or don't do. XP/skills practice makes me consider headbutting a wall for fun.
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:59 am

Thilindel wrote:I disagree per se. A player works to get their gear. Leveling sucks ass. It's not part of the game. It's not a reason someone logs in to play. Getting zonable is why I play anyway; I guess I shouldn't say that's what others do or don't do. XP/skills practice makes me consider headbutting a wall for fun.

I disagree Thil,

I think limiting eq in scarsdale would give people the option: either go get your gear and level outside of scarsdale or use newbie eq and lvl in scarsdale. it's not limiting you from using your eq.

Pril
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:37 pm

Hrm, it could be SPoB(2)

Sorta!
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:29 pm

Thil, you got it exactly right. SPoB-lite for newbies!
spunionring
Sojourner

Postby spunionring » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:52 pm

I think if outside eq was not allowed in scardale, then those with the eq to plevel solo will just do it outside of scardale.

Also, I think that its worth noting, that eq handouts help noobs to get out of scardale big time.

Lastly, this may not be true for all players pleveling in scardale. but usually, if you ask that khanjari rogue or valhalla wielding warrior to group, they are more than willing to, since they will barely notice the loss of exp. I have had many experiences like this, just by asking anyone on the WHO list in my level range. Squeeky wheel gets exp groups!

I like the idea of what your trying to accomplish here, but i dont think the presented idea (no outside eq in scardale) would be a good way to go about this.
Rented
Sojourner

Postby Rented » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:19 am

I personally would rather have someone xp quick and leave scardale than have him linger around and compete to see who gets the mob first after repop. Imagine if 3 people were doing that, you'd only be making 1/3 the xp.
Zosse ASSOC:: 'I went and bought a heap of those creme eggs .. and when i was thinking of you closed my eyes and squeezed them over my face, and pretended .. omg!'
valnass
Sojourner

Postby valnass » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:09 am

Make it that everyone has to start in scar and that they cant get out to get to their elite gear. And that your suck there till lets say level 10 before you can wear anything other then eq found in scar. now that isnt to bad and you so called self titled elites can go get your gear and level up. Also you might just be getting a person to stay here. (Isn't that what we need here is more ppl to play?) When I first came here only person that would give me any help what so ever was Lilithelle over the NHC. (Mud needs alot more Lilithelle type ppl)

Would have been nice if ppl trying to level their 10k worth of alt's would have been in there to group with longer then an hour or so. Would think that teaching them some of the finer points of the game while grouping in scar would help them once they hit the big world. Maybe make a few little mini zones in scar that you need a 4-6 man group to do to also give these new ppl a feel for zoning? As for scar yes it needs to be a little bigger because even 3-4 noobs can take out the mobs at their level and have to wait on pops.

But then again we all know that it will kill the old time players to waste any of their time leveling at the same rate as other noobs, plus its always funner to have some pour new guy/gal to bitch about over your guilded chat channels because said person dont know shit about tank'n/cast'n/heal'n. We all know afk'n is way funner then helping someone learn. And then you place them on your black-ball-list or your list of OMG this person sucks and I'll never group'n with them again list. While telling everyone you know how bad they play. So please dont change a thing. Right?? Its only us new people who might some day save a dying mud with a database thats getting smaller and smaller every year.

But please just go on thinking about your elite gear and why you cant get 20 levels without it. And people will stop in and see that only a few, very few are around to help and the rest are just out for one thing one thing only. (Them selves). Some ppl need to be a noob again i guess.

Oh well sorry for my bitch/crying/or what ever the new thing is, oh yeah and my noobness.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:31 am

I would simply not use Scardale at all if I couldn't wear my gear in there. Why waste my time when I could just get 20 elsewhere faster?
valnass
Sojourner

!

Postby valnass » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:21 pm

Gormal as I said in the post right before yours, I stated that maybe make all players new and old have to stay in scar through level 10 (or about there) with no way of getting to or able to wear eq unless found/killed for in scar. I mean come on how damn hard is 10 levels for a skilled player with noob eq to get? Or is it that you cant get anywhere without that so called elite gear? And then after level 10 you can get/wear your gear you worked so hard for. (laugh) 10 levels isnt going to hurt anyone, but in those 10 levels you might be helping a noob and getting them to want to stay and play.

Gormal I've zoned with you before and I've read alot of your post here, your a smart man when it comes to this mud. (I can see the other's rolling their eye's about now.) The help you could pass on to a noob in ten levels would be greater then you could believe. Plus you might make a new friend you other wise would have never known. Alot of you guys/gals that have played here for a while can teach noobs alot in your ten levels then they'll learn on their own in 30+ levels.

I see in alot of post through out these boards that we need to find ways to get ppl to stay/play, but when ppl come up with idea's they get shot down by the same ppl bitching about a dying mud and its playerbase. or when it comes to that maybe they might have to help in that idea. The problem is not getting them to stay its getting ppl here to do more then write a post saying hey we need ways to get ppl here. Stop posting and do something besides worrying about how fast you'll get to 20. As I said before its ppl that post and bitch but really their only thinking about one thing *them selves*

As in if more ppl played we could do more things and I could have more gear. Thats what I mean by thinking of them selves because isnt that why you want more ppl to play so its not always just Lili (god forebid Lili ever quits this mud would really take a hard hit) leading that maybe there might be enough ppl on we could make two zone groups at once OMG wouldnt that just be a great idea? Hell we might have to close the mud day for a day or two for ppl to recover from two zone groups going on at the same time.

The Nooob!!
valnass
Sojourner

Postby valnass » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:38 pm

OMG I cant believe I didnt think of this before. Its not that ppl here are great players. As your EQ got better you though you was playing better but really it was the EQ all along. So if it was the EQ making you the player you are now, then skill has nothing to do with it? So maybe you have nothing you can pass down to a new player unless of course you'd pass down your EQ making them now just as good as you?

Come on guys/gals 10 level without your super-gear isnt going crash the mud. Level 1-10 if the so called elite players here cant live long enough to blow out ten levels with nothing but noob gear, maybe you should rethink what you call an elite player here.

So now I see why you need that gear to get levels I'm so sorry I didnt figure this out sooner.

Once was The Noob!! but with a EQ ungrade is now

The Elite!!!! **Flex** **Flex**
spunionring
Sojourner

Postby spunionring » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:05 pm

Valnass: Well said.

I agree that way more ppl claim to want to keep new players to raise the pbase, but way less actually do anything about it.

I think you are right, ppl who talk about encouraging new players should do something about it. If you have elite eq, keep a set in scardale, and when you see a new player, roll a new char and plevel them. if you can get a new player to 20th and then to vt, they will be able to start learning about the game as it is for the rest of us (VT not Scar)

I have to disagree on a few points tho.

1) It seems to me, that you are way too focussed on the elitism problem and the eq hording issues. Honestly these negative aspects of the pbase are pretty common expressions of human nature. Ppl are selfish, greedy, etc. If you focus on it that much, then you just sour your own world-view.

A part of this also leads to: Do you really want elite snobs teaching and interacting with (using for exp group) newbs?

2) What levels do noobs need the most help?
Personally, even without eq levels 1-10 are cake even for new players. Levels 10-20 get a little slower do to the lack of 15th-20th level exp mobs, but still quite do able.

I think its 20-40 where you find there arent very many exp zones (bgr & cm mainly), and there arent many exp groups either.

These days, if a newb is brought to cm, then they can be exposed to all the players of the mud, and benefit from exp run by 'elites'.

3) Using Scardale to teach newbs about the mud may not be a very accurate tool.
Scardale is super cushy compared to the rest of the mud, and then the playing style changes again when you are finally zonable. How much are you gonna learn when there are no trackers, no one has silence or blind spells, half their skills etc etc?

Your gonna learn how to follow exp trains is about all. I think you learn more 20-40.

4) I think you overestimate the amount of elites that roll alts and plevel. most ppl dont wannt exp another alt even with the most badass eq. Sure theres a few ppl who level 1 war/rog after another, but mainly, exping sucks even with elite eq.

Lastly, My Point: I think if the gods were interested in this topic then perhaps they would accept applications for Newbie Helpers? As such, theres only a few Helpers currently, Lilithelle being the main one, Belathar being a big one who is quitting soon. Theres a couple others who pick up questions when they are on, but usually its just afkers on the Helper list/ no one at all.
valnass
Sojourner

Postby valnass » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:05 pm

Spunionring thank you for your reply, and yes I didnt think of it as you did. And I do have to agree with you on your idea's about leveling up. Would be nice if most home town area's had a place built kinda like CM exp wise. As a new person getting from GN to CM is a little hard although do able. Most goodie race's I would think start at or around WD. bgr ds are ok for exp ssc isnt to bad as a starter either. just seems like maybe the exp has been cut down on those place's since CM.

Not sure will roll me two char's and see how exp is in both places using just a basic set of lower level eq.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:41 pm

If I was trapped in Scardale I'm probably going to ignore most newbies and try and power my way through. Why? Because I'm tired of levelling chars and I want it over with. I don't NEED my top tier stuff to level, I use it because levelling is a boring grind and I want it over with asap. I understand the thought behind all of this, but in the end it amounts to an attempt to force people to help newbies out. I do spend time helping them, but the majority of the game could care less and they'll just be more visibly anti-social with them.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:14 pm

Well, I suppose the idea would be exactly to try to convince power leveling older players to do their work outside of scardale. Nothing ruins an experience for a new player like not being able to find any mobs or gear because Gormal or Teflor just powered through there on their alts.
spunionring
Sojourner

Postby spunionring » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:10 am

valnass wrote: As a new person getting from GN to CM is a little hard although do able.

I agree, for noobs to get to vt/cm where the pbase is, and the exp is, is very difficult when you cant enter wells wormholes portals

valnass wrote: Most goodie race's I would think start at or around WD. bgr ds are ok for exp ssc isnt to bad as a starter either. just seems like maybe the exp has been cut down on those place's since CM.

yeah those are the options for exp. CM is pretty much better because there more options for types of things to exp on. so you can find solo or 2man exp no problem. It also can support a lot more exp groups.

PS. if your in CM i recomend just seeing whos exping and send tells. hell if you consent the tank and get grouped, fol for exp!
EXB
Sojourner

Postby EXB » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:18 pm

What about offering better gear that can only stay within Scardale?

I can't tell you how much fun it would be to acquire, via quests or some such, a weapon or two that would actually proc. Maybe it could still be of good use outside of scardale, but it would only be able to proc while in the scardale region.

The same goes for other items/wear slots.

Thoughts?
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:05 pm

EXB wrote:What about offering better gear that can only stay within Scardale?

I can't tell you how much fun it would be to acquire, via quests or some such, a weapon or two that would actually proc. Maybe it could still be of good use outside of scardale, but it would only be able to proc while in the scardale region.

The same goes for other items/wear slots.

Thoughts?

Generally, it's bad to take away from players as the game progresses. Most players appreciate a continuing string of improvements, rather than a sudden let down.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”