Questions from a player long ago

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
sshhhhhh
Sojourner

Questions from a player long ago

Postby sshhhhhh » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:03 pm

Howdy,

I used to play on Sojourn / Toril etc years back.

I'm guessing it was 1995ish I got into it and I played solid for about 3 years and then slowly weened myself off it for RL reasons around 2000.

I purchased EQ2 when it came out in 2004 and while I fell in love with a new graphic interface for such things I also found that there are limitations to what one can do with such a game. I helped found, led, and now help run one of the top world wide competitive guilds in EQ2 but still find myself yearning and wistfully remembering the fun I used to have playing on your MUD.

In browsing your help files and forums over past week or two and considering a return I was re-established with the very stringent policies set on certain rules. IE: multiplaying, listing equipment stats, etc.

I can understand where someone coding an army of bots could be detrimental to the game and it is outlawed in eq2 as well. I'm not sure, however, why one is not allowed to roll two characters and play them? In everquest it is often very common for top guilds to have people that play 2-3 characters at the same time on a raid. When going after highly competitive contested mobs that are very rare spawns you need the right classes at the right time. If someone is on vacation you might have someone play two people. Everquest 2 makes it virtually impossible to run a "bot" without some serious scripting expertise with 3rd party programs... and it also limits commands that could be made with triggers and macros for a program like ZMUD (obviously in a text based world its very easy to parse and react to content). It is, however, perfectly acceptable for someone with two keyboards or some serious button clicking or alt tabbing to successfully play two characters at once. This in turn allows the guild guild / group / raid to accomplish their goals and doesn't really "cheat" the system by setting up hands free automation.

I could see the argument that you'd rather players interact. I'm sure that most would love to find a good group. But I remember not always having that option when I used to play... and therefore always having at least one solo class to play when I couldn't find a good group. Or we're good to go but we need one more healer, etc, etc.

Why not let people who have the ability to play in two windows at once do so?

Also... why stop the posting of loot stats or in game information? I'm sure some love to RP but its been shown time and again that most games and their players thrive off of loot tables. The real competition is for stats... so you can go to harder content and see more of the game. I wouldn't want a game like Diablo where people just brag about Epeens all day... but in reading on your forums I'm not sure why admins would limit the amount of information their player community can discuss? There isn't a large enough player base here to actively initiate their own community to discuss such things as happens with other games.

People like to talk stats and strats... discuss how / why. In almost anything they do. Why limit the exchange of information by like minded people that share a common hobby?

The most successful forums for commercial games are normally user run ones where such penalties or restrictions aren't enforced. IE: eq2flames is the one stop show now. SOE's forums are second class when it comes to real players discussing the game and how it might be improved.

If I came across as bashing I'm sorry. I loved my time in Toril and someday might return. I think this game fills a niche that the current large scale commercial offerings won't ever fully fill. I know, however, that the learning curve for a mud is LARGE. My first year of mudding I prolly accomplished what i could do in a week towards the end.

I feel that some rules do more to hinder than help your community and wonder what purpose they serve?

I'm sure many of your have very strong opinions on such things... just felt like sharing... =)
Gormal
Sojourner

Re: Questions from a player long ago

Postby Gormal » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:17 pm

You can post stats of equipment now, just not quest information.
sshhhhhh
Sojourner

Postby sshhhhhh » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:43 pm

ah cool...

I just know it all comes down to math. And as someone who loves numbers its fun to put together wish lists and oogle over the goodies that might one day be yours :P

Some classes really benefit from situational gear too, etc. etc. Nice to have a wish list.

I'm guessing multi-playing is still a no no?
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:05 pm

Multi goes down on special nights/weeks, and the gods have been a litle forthcoming with theorycrafting stuff but most everything is on hold for 2.0. I'm sure if you've read anything here you know where that's at.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:09 pm

ooohh.. could this be the beginning of the rebirth of Sojourn/TorilMUD as more and more geeks around the world run out of money to pay-to-play/thier enjoyment of graphical online games and turn to the old text-based format?
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:42 pm

I couldn't agree more. Toril has some rules that do seem antiquated. Rules that were constructed for the Toril of yesteryear, when the pbase was 200-300 players per night. Now our pbase is 25% of that on a good night. Allowing some limited multiplay as is suggested above would serve a real need here in my opinion and wouldn't affect gameplay much if at all. Toril needs to adapt to present day realities in order to attract new (and old) players and rise again from its ashes. To this end, I think zone creation over the last couple years has addressed this as newer zones are designed to be completed more along the lines of 2 hours rather than 5-6.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:36 pm

Well, silverymoon has been done for HOW long, and it's still not in the game. . .
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Lathander » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:37 am

It's my fault, and I'm getting some help with my end of things. I've apoligized to Silverymoon's writer for the delay so it's all good.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:42 am

You can always just blame Cyric and everyone will believe you.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:09 pm

I've never understood why limited (# of chrs) multiplay is still banned. It would open up quite a few doors to those still playing.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:12 pm

Gormal wrote:You can always just blame Cyric and everyone will believe you.

QFT
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”