Bryn armor upgrades: Ansi

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Valendhal
Sojourner

Bryn armor upgrades: Ansi

Postby Valendhal » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:35 am

I guess while we are kind of on a Bryn tangent: (thanks for recent additions / modification to the quest file)

I really like the fact that you can upgrade armor, but I hate to do it because it "ruins" in some cases, a wonderful string of ansi and makes them all look extremely similar.

I could make several good arguments here, some more from the original creator/zone writer's point of view, others from an individual player's point of view .. regarding expression and such..

I would imagine that each time armor is "bryn'ed" it creates a new, unique object # but uses similar ansi .. I feel like this wouldn't be _that_ much work to change (if its something that made sense to change) ..

Thoughts?
Last edited by Valendhal on Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ssar
Sojourner

Re: Bryn armor upgrades: Ansi

Postby ssar » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:36 pm

I agree.

Not only should each kind of armor have unique ansi and/or description, but all the bryn armors should have improved ansi too.
BEER
Inames
Sojourner

Postby Inames » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:06 pm

im all for the more perty ansi but keep in mind... you arent really upgrading armor when you do that quest, you are creating yourself a suit of mithril armor, which is imbued with the magic the armor the blacksmith uses to form it to your body had.

so im confused as to why you think they should all have different ansi and strings when all they are is a simple suit of mithril armor with different "magic" properties
[Dru 50] Inames (Grey Elf)
[Rog 50] Ishiras (Grey Elf)
[Enc 50] Aremat (Grey Elf)
[War 50] Amori (Grey Elf)
[Ran 50] Aninen (Grey Elf)
[Ele 50] Itanul (Grey Elf)
[Inv 50] Aleadis (Grey Elf)
[Bar 50] Ashire (Grey Elf)
[Cle 50] Isila (Grey Elf)
My Deviant Art Page
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Every suit has different ansi.
Valendhal
Sojourner

Postby Valendhal » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:20 pm

Gormal - I didn't mean "exactly" the same. I just modified the above post so that same = similar.

Inames - Good point .. thanks for taking the time to respond btw. I believe that each suit of armor, no matter if it is upgraded, or de-assembled and put back together using better metals, enchantments, etc.. would have some similarities / looks / pieces of the original suit from which it was made. I think this could be better represented via ansi.
Marthammor
Staff Member - Areas
Location: On a Rocky Tor Overlooking a Storm-Ridden Landscape

Postby Marthammor » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:34 pm

There are three different types of armors, so there is some degree of variance there. Also, and I believe this is in the quest text as well (its been awhile since I wrote it, so forgive me if I don't remember how I worded it), the original armor is destroyed so nothing of the original, save for the magical properties passed to the new armor, are left behind.
Valendhal
Sojourner

Postby Valendhal » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:42 pm

Darn, well that makes sense. Just seems like the entire mud is wearing the same type of armor .. ansi wise I would like to see some change still! But thats just a suggestion :) Much respect for making the quest and the zone etc. That must have taken a lot of work and creativity.

Chris
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:55 am

How is it that a low level item like dwarf scale becomes on par with the elite armors in the game after doing this minor upgrade quest?

How is it that an elite armor like spob armor only gains 2max_con, when other armors go from garbage to elite level?

How is it that green scalemail goes from 3dam to 4dam...4dam equipment is very sparse in toril, and VERY highly valued....camping 2 pelts and farming some ore for 2hrs shouldn't allow that amount of an upgrade...(plus it's far out of line with other upgrades)

my .02
loshaenar
Sojourner

Postby loshaenar » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:23 am

On the bryn tangent, are there any plans to actually make more armor brynnable? Arguably, given that some of the upgrades put standard zone armors above even Tia armors, shouldn't they also be able to be brynned?

A little bit of consistency really??
bawog
Sojourner

Postby bawog » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:41 pm

I personally thought it would be cool if the armor was upgraded with random stat upgrades or downgrades. Like if the blacksmith made a mistake he'd say 'Whoops sorry about that spob armor there kinda broke it!' So there was always that uncertainty if its gonna be upgraded or downgraded. That my 2 cents about it.
Lonikiple group-says 'i remember this one time at izans, when nerox said tanks west, and kobob ran 2 west, and spanked the group, you guyz remember that?'

Tiamat shouts 'No, it is you who is fucked!'
Marthammor
Staff Member - Areas
Location: On a Rocky Tor Overlooking a Storm-Ridden Landscape

Postby Marthammor » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:56 pm

The stats came from using the equipment calculator. Lower end armors didn't use all that many points so adding things to them were easier. The higher end armors however were expensive point wise and even some of the simplest upgrades cost a ton of points.

As to adding more armors to the quest, that was something I had thought of doing. However, I don't really care to take items from someones brand new zone and upgrade them right away. Plus I'm not sure how many more items I can make in the zone before I run outta numbers. :P

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”