Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
ssar
Sojourner
Posts: 1446
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Contact:

Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby ssar » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:33 am

From rpnews:

" rpnews
RP Tip: Before you go charging off heroically, check for directions.


Effective immediately, Auril, Eilistraee, Jergal, and Leira are resigning
from the mud. Our thanks to everyone involved with roleplay, both ours and
your own, for your contributions to beautiful, rich stories. May the tales
continue, weaving fellowship, strife, mystery, discovery, joy, sorrow, and
most of all, imagination, into a great and glorious tapestry we all can bear
with us forever!

If you have questions about your on-going stories or need some details from us
to continue them, we can be reached at rpq@rpquest.net.
posted 2009.03.26"

Just saw this.

"Auril, Eilistraee, Jergal, and Leira are resigning
from the mud" sounds really sad and bad :(

Or does it mean just resigning from RP Sphere?
Botef
Sojourner
Posts: 1056
Joined: Fri May 10, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Eastern Washington
Contact:

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Botef » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:41 am

This is sad news. I just want to express a huge thanks to all those in RPQ for some great memories over the years. You guys put in a lot of hard work, and you will be greatly missed.
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
teflor the ranger
Sojourner
Posts: 3923
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Waterdeep

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:55 am

I believe they are resigning from the mud.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Lilira
Sojourner
Posts: 1438
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:53 pm

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Lilira » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:01 am

I read it as resigning from the mud.

That's the entire RPQ staff (at least all of the ones I've seen).

A,E,J & L - Thank you for all the years of storytelling. Hugs and good luck with your future endeavors.

Lil
Nilan
Sojourner
Posts: 681
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2001 6:01 am

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Nilan » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:27 am

Thanks all you guys for making this mud a wonderful place to play because of RP.
I know I will miss you all and the rp on this mud too.

None will ever be able to fill your shoes. Thanks again for the awesome rp campaigns and fun that we all took part in over the years.

-Nilan
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Corth » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:51 am

Thats unusual for a bunch of immorts to all leave at once. Either they had a falling out with someone or maybe they want to work on a separate project together?
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Thilindel » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:07 am

There's a RPNEWS??








And will definitely miss Eilistraee, and Co. who worked so hard behind the scenes!
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Dalar
Sojourner
Posts: 4905
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:01 am

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Dalar » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:14 am

Is Eilistraee quitting as a coder as well?
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Corth » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:23 am

This is all because some bad apples counterfeited platinum and caused 2.0 to be pushed back while the FBI investigated!1111!
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth



Goddamned slippery mage.
Pril
Sojourner
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sat May 11, 2002 5:01 am

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Pril » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:43 am

As someone who never RP'd i never really got to know Auril, Jergal, and Leira very well but I'm sure that they will be missed.

Eilistraee will be a huge loss for the MUD as he not only did RP but also coded, helped with zones, and did Admin stuff. I can't really begin to imagine how this mud would of survived for as long as it has without him.

I hope all of you keep playing your characters at least so we can stay in touch and don't lose some valuable members of the mud.

Mike
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Inames
Sojourner
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:27 am

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Inames » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:13 pm

I'm still puzzled as to why this happened, but accepting it, I will say my words of farewell. Eili made many great contributions to the mud since I started playing, it will be a shame to see him leaving. As for the others, Auril, Jergal, Leira.. And of course Eilistraee I loved roleplaying in your events, for the few that I attended... I wish I could have been to more but seeing as they happened at the general zoning time I always chose playing the game over living it out.. probably something I'll end up having regretted.

You will be missed, all of you, thank you for your generous contributions of time and effort into the game we all love. I hope you will all enjoy yourselves back in the real world. Toril is forever in your debt.

Farewell RPQ sphere.
[Dru 50] Inames (Grey Elf)
[Rog 50] Ishiras (Grey Elf)
[Enc 50] Aremat (Grey Elf)
[War 50] Amori (Grey Elf)
[Ran 50] Aninen (Grey Elf)
[Ele 50] Itanul (Grey Elf)
[Inv 50] Aleadis (Grey Elf)
[Bar 50] Ashire (Grey Elf)
[Cle 50] Isila (Grey Elf)
My Deviant Art Page
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner
Posts: 604
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2001 5:01 am
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Contact:

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:43 pm

I'm stunned. Thank you all for your amazing contributions to this mud. You brought back some color and flavor that i thought was long dead. I wish you all luck in whatever your futures may bring.

Del
alendar
Sojourner
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:01 am
Location: Southern Illinois

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby alendar » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:47 pm

i rp'ed a few times with you guys, not many of course...

i want to thank you all for all you have done on the mud and in the mud...

you will be missed....

Rarlaj Hellstooth
************************************
Alendar -= The Black Ash of the Phoenix =-
************************************
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0612.html
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantIT ... ipt?SK=244
Hador group-says 'Inames I think you are the only person on the mud who shouldn't talk about Cofen sucking'
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Corth » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:08 pm

alendar wrote:
Rarlaj Hellstooth


Thats your real name, isn't it?
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth



Goddamned slippery mage.
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Thilindel » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:38 pm

I think he's really a Bob. Bob the Builder!
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner
Posts: 1292
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:11 pm
Location: Miami, FL

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:17 pm

Any Forger or Immortal going to comment on this or explain what's to happen now?

Thanks.
"There is one big rule in life - the things you worry about never happen, and the things that happen are never the ones you expect." - John Bellairs
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Thilindel » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:44 pm

I think it speaks volumes that someone of such stature didn't leave a farewell retirement in itself. None of the group did. Who'd have thought upon the announcement of 2.0, that Eili would be gone and no 2.0 years later?
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2944
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Shevarash » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:37 pm

I don't have any comment on the RPQ staff at this time, but I can assure you that the MUD will carry on as always. I will have more details soon.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Thilindel » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:06 pm

Zoiks!
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Corth » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:42 pm

Shev is dodging the paparazzi.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth



Goddamned slippery mage.
Ragorn
Sojourner
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Ragorn » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:56 am

I think this is a big enough deal that it should be done justice by a Forger explanation. This isn't the kind of thing you want rumors to carry.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Zoldren
Sojourner
Posts: 1309
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2001 6:01 am
Location: mt. vernon, il
Contact:

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Zoldren » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:44 am

Duh it's Simple, Shevy said on earlier in the month he was combating piracy .... then the evil imms who needed plat to pay for their gambling habits are banned rr umm leaving....

will miss you guys, think pink while your gone!
Pril
Sojourner
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sat May 11, 2002 5:01 am

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Pril » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:08 pm

Ragorn wrote:I think this is a big enough deal that it should be done justice by a Forger explanation. This isn't the kind of thing you want rumors to carry.


I heard the RP sphere was joining the Obama administration as Spin Doctors.
The best of WTF statments of '06

--------------------------------------------------------

Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'

Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'

Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Corth » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:58 pm

Its a Miax and Mystra conspiracy. Isn't that obvious?! They have been trying to undermine us for years. They're the reason 2.0 was pushed back again1!!11!
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth



Goddamned slippery mage.
Llaaldara
Sojourner
Posts: 998
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Dobluth Kyor

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Llaaldara » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:46 pm

Corth wrote:This is all because some bad apples counterfeited platinum and caused 2.0 to be pushed back while the FBI investigated!1111!


I blame the recession. Everyone is getting laid off.
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Thilindel » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:14 am

Update for why and details _just_ after the release of 2.0 !
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Corth » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:38 am

My sources have confirmed for me that the RP staff left because they are about to be indicted as co-conspirators in the Bernie Madoff ponzi scheme. Their computers have already been seized, thus pushing back 2.0 several months, and they have all left the country on private jets paid for by the Saudi Arabian government. They also work for Halliburton.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth



Goddamned slippery mage.
Lilira
Sojourner
Posts: 1438
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:53 pm

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Lilira » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:48 pm

Just because I know most of the players on Toril do not watch the RPQ section of the BBS, and there have been questions...

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=21266
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Ashiwi
Sojourner
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 5:01 am

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Ashiwi » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:27 pm

So when you say "the mud will carry on as always" do you mean "the mud will carry on as it was always intended to after the split, now that we've totally phased roleplay out and gamers who prefer a roleplaying atmosphere have absolutely no reason to play here"?
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
spunionring
Sojourner
Posts: 173
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby spunionring » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:50 pm

Ashiwi wrote:So when you say "the mud will carry on as always" do you mean "the mud will carry on as it was always intended to after the split, now that we've totally phased roleplay out and gamers who prefer a roleplaying atmosphere have absolutely no reason to play here"?


lol
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2944
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Shevarash » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:16 pm

I meant that the MUD will continue to operate and that these events do not imply some sort of catastrophic shutdown event or split or anything of that nature.

Ashiwi, your insinuation that we don't value roleplay and intentionally "phased out" the RPQ sphere is groundless and offensive. I'm personally very proud of the RP sphere and have supported their efforts to run quests and roleplay events since the sphere's inception. I'm sorry you feel the way you do, and I'd be happy to answer questions about this in the near future.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Pril
Sojourner
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sat May 11, 2002 5:01 am

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Pril » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:23 pm

Shevarash wrote:I meant that the MUD will continue to operate and that these events do not imply some sort of catastrophic shutdown event or split or anything of that nature.

Ashiwi, your insinuation that we don't value roleplay and intentionally "phased out" the RPQ sphere is groundless and offensive. I'm personally very proud of the RP sphere and have supported their efforts to run quests and roleplay events since the sphere's inception. I'm sorry you feel the way you do, and I'd be happy to answer questions about this in the near future.



I guess what she meant to ask was when you say that everything will continue as normal does that mean that someone else will host the RP events now?

Pril
The best of WTF statments of '06

--------------------------------------------------------

Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'

Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'

Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Ashiwi
Sojourner
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 5:01 am

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Ashiwi » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:40 pm

Pril wrote:I guess what she meant to ask was when you say that everything will continue as normal does that mean that someone else will host the RP events now?


No, that's not what I meant. What I meant was pretty much what I said. Tick by tick since the split the roleplay atmosphere in Toril has been systematically removed. Roleplay has been "supported" within its own niche, yes, but the rich, comprehensive atmosphere the game used to have has been intentionally stripped, gearing the game toward the numbers players. Many of the roleplayers in the game have spoken up against it, and been soundly defeated, and watched their numbers dwindle.

It was a dead horse I got tired of kicking long ago, but there were people out there still trying to stick up for it, and the most committed are now gone. Roleplayers make for some of the most committed and long-term players you can have, so it's really a shame there's not really any place left for them here, except to come in and visit old friends.

You may find it groundless and offensive, but we're all entitled to our opinions. I have a lot of respect for you as the owner of this game, but this game definitely can't be listed as a 'roleplay-encouraged' game any more.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2944
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Shevarash » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:47 pm

The part I found was offensive was the implication that we had phased out the RPQ staff. If you didn't mean it that way then I apologize for jumping to conclusions.

The rest of it I don't agree with, but you have the right to your opinion. My goal has always been to appeal to both role players and power gamers, and concessions have been made on both sides. I don't subscribe to the theory that role playing is only possible in a system that obfuscates numbers and chooses theme over playability at all times. It certainly doesn't work like that in pen and paper D&D, where the rules are completely exposed, and role playing in those settings works out well.

Anyways, if there's something you specifically think needs to be done to appealmore to role players, I'm very interested in hearing it what it is.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Thilindel » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:00 pm

I would think it appealing to players if classes like ranger, paladin, anti-paladin were finally addressed. Only been hearing complaints for years and years. Yet downgrades for certain things seem to always be higher than fixing, when it comes to classes. I know the cleric spells were nice, but as per the aforementioned classes, there are things that just seem avoided.

Shaman with planar travel, etc... Nobody in the Big Cheese sphere ever explains why. Threads just go seemingly unanswered - and I don't mean just mine.
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Lilira
Sojourner
Posts: 1438
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:53 pm

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Lilira » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:14 am

Jeez Thil.

A bloody dead horse being beaten that belongs in another thread. Some of the most active RPers out there play APs, Pals and Rangers DESPITE the fixes that are needed.

Please go beat it elsewhere instead of using the corpse to stink up a thread meant for a completely DIFFERENT issue.

The quote being....

Anyways, if there's something you specifically think needs to be done to appeal more to role players, I'm very interested in hearing it what it is.


Frankly half the players don't even recognize the things RPQ did for the mud. Yes there were Events. They were lots of fun that added more to the experience than just killing x mob again, or going to y zone... again. Events that required us to try and use our brains to think outside of the box instead of throwing bodies at mobs.

They also did other things. Every holiday treat, the Halloween quest for trick or treats was RPQ. Description updates for various things, they were very heavily involved in things that just weren't noticed. Eilistraee fixed bugs, Auril and the others helped with some Admin stuff when no one else was avail... which in my opinion was pretty often. 99% of the time, if I petitioned up it was Auril or Jergal that responded. They've been a constant presence when there hasn't been anyone else around.

Shev, to be honest, I think things have been dumbed down to the point that without someone dedicated to RP, its not salvageable. For some of us, RP is the only reason to log in aside from contact with friends. I get tired of the attitudes that many players display during zones. Its go in, kill, get out. There used to be amusement in deaths or oopses. Now its met with swearing and 'OMG he/she is such a damn noob.'

Why? Because the players that used to find amusement in it are gone. The pbase used to big enough to support people who liked one or the other. I don't think there's much room for us anymore now that the ones who were dedicated to keeping it going are gone.
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Thilindel » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:02 am

And just why is it that fixing classes is such a bloody dead horse? Cuz they're never fixed. Much like driving a car on its rims after the tire blows, just cuz it still can keep moving I guess.
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner
Posts: 439
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:14 pm
Location: grande prairie alberta canada

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:17 am

Lilira wrote:Jeez Thil.

A bloody dead horse being beaten that belongs in another thread. Some of the most active RPers out there play APs, Pals and Rangers DESPITE the fixes that are needed.

Please go beat it elsewhere instead of using the corpse to stink up a thread meant for a completely DIFFERENT issue.

The quote being....

Anyways, if there's something you specifically think needs to be done to appeal more to role players, I'm very interested in hearing it what it is.


Frankly half the players don't even recognize the things RPQ did for the mud. Yes there were Events. They were lots of fun that added more to the experience than just killing x mob again, or going to y zone... again. Events that required us to try and use our brains to think outside of the box instead of throwing bodies at mobs.

They also did other things. Every holiday treat, the Halloween quest for trick or treats was RPQ. Description updates for various things, they were very heavily involved in things that just weren't noticed. Eilistraee fixed bugs, Auril and the others helped with some Admin stuff when no one else was avail... which in my opinion was pretty often. 99% of the time, if I petitioned up it was Auril or Jergal that responded. They've been a constant presence when there hasn't been anyone else around.

Shev, to be honest, I think things have been dumbed down to the point that without someone dedicated to RP, its not salvageable. For some of us, RP is the only reason to log in aside from contact with friends. I get tired of the attitudes that many players display during zones. Its go in, kill, get out. There used to be amusement in deaths or oopses. Now its met with swearing and 'OMG he/she is such a damn noob.'

Why? Because the players that used to find amusement in it are gone. The pbase used to big enough to support people who liked one or the other. I don't think there's much room for us anymore now that the ones who were dedicated to keeping it going are gone.


Some of my favorite zoning is when the stupid deaths happens and stuff isnt taken so seriously its a lot more fun that way. I mean sure its nice to do GF in record time but have a laugh doing it makes it more worthwhile (especially when u lose the dog pile on the good gear).
Dugmaren tells you 'Welcome to Canada, don't blame us if you're stupid enough to get eaten by the wild life'
Dalar
Sojourner
Posts: 4905
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:01 am

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Dalar » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:32 am

I for one hate people who wipe us in the middle of a zone that lead to a long CR. We get no gear, it's frustrating, and easily avoidable.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Nurpy Fuzzyfeet
Sojourner
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:28 am

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Nurpy Fuzzyfeet » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:37 pm

So....why did the rp sphere leave?
Aristan group-says 'nurpy=tripod'

Shevarash GCC: 'Tiamat stands here, fighting Nurpy.'
Ashiwi
Sojourner
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 5:01 am

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Ashiwi » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:14 pm

Matt, you have a hundred "Fix this" threads in other parts of the BBS, please allow this to remain in the domain of roleplay and RPQ. You're perfectly capable of starting another thread on your wishes somewhere else and gracefully allowing this thread to remain at least partially on topic.

Thanks.

As for why they quit ... while I can't say I knew any of them well enough to judge their actions in detail, I can say that at one time I knew Eilistraee well enough to know that an action this drastic would have a pretty seriously justified foundation. He's given more to this mud than 99.9% of the players, he's devoted a good chunk of his life to the betterment of this world, he's put up with more crap then many would ever be expected to put up with, and he's persevered through it all ... until now. Had it been simply the quiet retirement of two of the RPQ staff, I would have guessed they'd gone to spend more time doing family things, but this particular situation couldn't have happened without several key factors coming into play, none of which bode well for the community.

Please try to understand me; I'm not trying to foment trouble here. However, when I consider all the players that I know or have known upstairs, Eilistraee is one of the most honest, forthright, above-board guys I've ever known. His standard of ethics tends to far exceed that of others on a typical basis.

I don't know what happened, but whatever it was, the loss is Toril's. Even without knowing the details, I'll stand behind that statement 100%.

Shev, we've made way too many suggestions over the years. Give some of us a little while to go back and cull files, since they're all right here on this BBS, and natter with each other about it, if they're willing, but right now I'm just feeling really tired about the whole thing.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Dalar
Sojourner
Posts: 4905
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:01 am

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Dalar » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:49 pm

I got an idea.

Stop caring about why Eilistraee quit.

All you're doing is reminding him and everyone else about what happened. Do you really think any of you can fix the past? No, you can't. He doesn't want to be Eilistraee anymore, he just wants to be Sylvos. Let him and the rest of the staff be and carry on. Knowing the drama will be cool for about 5 minutes.

Example, Dugmaren quit and came back years later.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Lilira
Sojourner
Posts: 1438
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:53 pm

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Lilira » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:21 pm

Shev asked a question.

We're answering in saying that like so many other things, the current state of the mud will prohibit RP. Its an atmosphere that has been getting more and more hostile toward those who do in all honesty, with snarky comments and even ostracization in some cases from the 'leet players. The people who worked hard to keep it going aren't doing it anymore. Player initiated RP has been attempted. It doesn't work. Not many options left.
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Corth » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Ragorn wrote:I think this is a big enough deal that it should be done justice by a Forger explanation. This isn't the kind of thing you want rumors to carry.


Ragorn is right.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth



Goddamned slippery mage.
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2944
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Shevarash » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:15 am

Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Corth » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:09 am

Shev,

That was a good first step to take. I do understand now why you haven't said much until this point. It makes sense that you would want to speak to the staff members directly first before making any sort of announcement. That being said, the purpose of this post is to suggest that perhaps you may now want to discuss the issue in further depth.

You indicate in your linked post that the individual staff members are free to disclose what happened. However, -you- also are free to disclose the specifics of what happened - and you have apparently chosen not to.

Its one thing for an individual staff member to leave. Its something else entirely when its an entire sphere. Any reasonable observer would have to assume that this was more than just the coincidental retirement of several staff members all at the same time.

If I were in your shoes, which of course I'm not, I would handle the situation a little differently with respect to communicating what happened to the players. There are a lot of people heavily invested in the mud who are hurt by what happened. Inevitably the real story will come out, as it always does. In the meantime, theories and rumours float around, and that doesn't do anybody any good. I understand putting it off so you could speak with the staff members in question.. but at this point I just don't understand what you have to gain by being vague.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth



Goddamned slippery mage.
Disoputlip
Sojourner
Posts: 956
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Copenhagen

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Disoputlip » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:35 am

We want dirt!
Karae
Sojourner
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Tumwater, WA
Contact:

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Karae » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:33 pm

RP is one of the reasons I came back, but now I don't know. I guess how i'll see how this all turns out.
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Thilindel » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:59 pm

I never have liked the notion of RP because I think of nothing but nerds in this style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1OBjjBxHto

While I'm sure there is a different type that wouldn't make me barf, I've never seen it. That's the downfall of growing up in a small town where people didn't play RP type games I guess.
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Karae
Sojourner
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Tumwater, WA
Contact:

Re: Immortals Quitting the MUD Mar2009?

Postby Karae » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:53 pm

Well I'm at work and cant watch the video, but I grew up in a small town, and the notion of anything like rp was only things I had heard or seen on tv at the time. There was no one that I know of who played D&D or anything of the sort. Yet i enjoy doing rp here on the mud, specially back in the day, the people here then made it fun.

But each person has their own opinion I didn't like it until i tried it, so try it, and if you have and don't like it well at least you can say you've tried and your that much better for it.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests