When it crashes during zones

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Thilindel
Sojourner

When it crashes during zones

Postby Thilindel » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:27 am

I loved how Diablo II would allow you to exit the game and re-enter to get your corpse back. Doing so cost you your xp lost, but at least you didn't have to put up with the CR.

I have finals this week. Now I fully understand what others have said about CR's and suckage. This mud's outdated. I joined tonight to enjoy the ONE night I didn't have a final the following morning. And what happens? Crash and corpses are in dragon lair.

I'm asking for an option to just get the damned corpse back with the available loss of xp. This is just crap.
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
grundar
Sojourner

Re: When it crashes during zones

Postby grundar » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:24 am

i agree with this idea
i also agree with eliminating exp, making everyone 50 as soon as they enter the game with all quest spells and tiamat gear
actually i have a better one, why dont we just close the game remove all zones and just keep the roller on, as soon as they finish rolling and enter the game tiamat tells them "You win!"
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:40 pm

The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:51 pm

So for the people who have family, and a life, this mud is no longer? Ok. Agreed.
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:21 pm

To be fair.. this mud was never really compatible with family and lives...
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:44 pm

Thilindel wrote:So for the people who have family, and a life, this mud is no longer? Ok. Agreed.

I have to agree with corth it sucks but the fact of the matter is a 12 hour spob spank run or a 36 hr tia run back in the day are not conducive to lives and families.

Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:35 pm

So why not make the game more user friendly?

I'd like to point out that WoW Raiding and almost everything wow-related was very difficult back in the day. The game was not family-friendly at all. Raiding would take multiple days of your life a week. Consumable farming for raids was all you did outside of raid. PvP grinds took at least a month of server-wide coordination. Now, the game is incredibly easy and newbie friendly.

At first, I thought Blizzard sold out to the newbs and made the game way too easy. I was actually disgusted with it and quit after a 2 week comeback to hit 80. But then I thought about WoW itself as a community. If WoW had stayed that same hardcore game, I highly doubt subscriptions would have continued to increase that quickly.

If we continue down the path of the hardcore game, we're never going to recover our pbase. We've lost 2/3 of our pbase over the past 8 years and we haven't received many new players. The highest # of players per boot is 35 now. It use to be 50-70 4 years ago. 100+ 8 years ago. Most of us are growing up and can't afford to have the adventure filled late nights. Some of us have kids. Most of us have careers.

Shevarash, please consider Thilindel's idea. Consider the fact that a player will refuse to enter a !tele zone because they have to wake up early every morning. But what if he could CR at a personal cost? He might consider playing the game that night. There are times where 14 players are waiting for 1 person.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:15 pm

All the mud needs and ever needed is artifacts, politics, and god favoritism. Thats what once allowed it to be more than just another mediocre text based game. It can be easy, difficult, whatever. Without a soul its just a pile of code.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
grundar
Sojourner

Postby grundar » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:33 pm

you keep complaining about how long it takes to zone and how if it crashes you have no way of restoring the zone. if you want a zone to do that, write it yourself.. i'm sure the imms wouldnt object and there's quite a simple way of writing in checkpoints to a zone too.
Dugmaren
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Dugmaren » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:46 pm

I understand and agree with you that TIME is too valuable to lose because you need to CR. EXP on the other hand isn't valuable enough, half the fun in big zones is fear.. and I dunno about you but with all the transportation / sneak.hiding / CR spells we have, there isn't much fear left in the game. Think about the first couple times we went to Avernus and knew the only way out was to push through. What if it cost you a random piece of non-tia equipment or something?

Dug
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:01 pm

Remove corpse rot on unlooted corpses, problem solved. No challenge dilution, and people can CR when they get around to it. Its not conductive to game play anymore anyways, the days of losing eq to rot are mostly a thing of the past. Once upon a time that kind of eq lose was acceptable but with Tiamat gear, uber sets and the amount of vested quest time losing a set of gear is unacceptable. The few cases of someone losing high level gear to a rot in the last several years as far as I know always resulted in that player quiting for good.
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:02 pm

We always knew if we wiped, we'd just get a rogue to get it all and then have him idle until a crash anyways. Also, high-end gear is difficult to get b/c of all the rare loads.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:04 pm

Botef wrote:Remove corpse rot on unlooted corpses, problem solved. No challenge dilution, and people can CR when they get around to it. Its not conductive to game play anymore anyways, the days of losing eq to rot are mostly a thing of the past. Once upon a time that kind of eq lose was acceptable but with Tiamat gear, uber sets and the amount of vested quest time losing a set of gear is unacceptable. The few cases of someone losing high level gear to a rot in the last several years as far as I know always resulted in that player quiting for good.

OK yea I like his idea better than Thilindel's.

Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:48 pm

Hell, !rotting would be far and wide, the best. I didn't bring it up cuz that's a 'god' pres. Some assmonkey like ross would whine about it.
Ardessa Moonblade
Sojourner

Postby Ardessa Moonblade » Fri May 01, 2009 2:18 am

This would be an excellent option, to just not rot player corpses at all. It might be smartest to only allow it in a select few high level zones (particularly high spank risk ones like Tiamat, Magma, SM Invasion, BC, Izan's, CC, etc. come to mind). That allows people to zone without having to worry about needing to be awake all night if a spank occurs.
Dugmaren GCC: 'My goal as an areas staff member is to introduce you all to the great zone I call "outside”

Shevarash GCC: 'Funny - sometimes we do stuff like that. Add in some neat thing like weight-dependant stun, and THEN DON'T TELL ANYONE FOR A DECADE.'
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri May 01, 2009 5:35 pm

I say make player corpses rot instantly on death, and the death of 10 or more players in the same zone within 5 minutes triggers a 30-minute reboot countdown.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Fri May 01, 2009 7:52 pm

Ragorn wrote:I say make player corpses rot instantly on death, and the death of 10 or more players in the same zone within 5 minutes triggers a 30-minute reboot countdown.

this would rock rogues would flee and hide and then loot the ground before the reboot :p

Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Fri May 01, 2009 10:35 pm

I would hate unlimited pres, I remember how corpses piled up on homeland and thats bad.

But I think it is a really good subject to brainstorm about, because there definitly is an issue.

Here is one idea more: What about some kind of far press spell. It should require a spellcomponent of a significant value (100 p mabye), and when cast then it was like putting a normal press on all the persons pcorpses no matter where in the world they are.

Spell should ofcourse stack like the normal pres.
spunionring
Sojourner

Postby spunionring » Fri May 01, 2009 10:36 pm

i dont know about removing corpse rot all together, that seems a bit extreme.

i would support extending corpse rot time to a minimum of 24 hours. I think that is pretty reasonable. maybe extended to a max of 1 week, shrugs, i hear ya, alot of ppl have lives and only a small part of their schedule available to mud. If i can mud for 1 hour a day at the same time each day, i better not die without cr :P

I think for spanks, many zones have been balanced according to how CR is currently handled. usually get a rogues to go and drag, occasionally some naked fighting to get where ya need to get.

Regarding crashes, it seems fair to allow a god to CR group to beginning of zone. Crashes are not part of the game.
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Sat May 02, 2009 12:50 am

spunionring wrote:...Regarding crashes, it seems fair to allow a god to CR group to beginning of zone. Crashes are not part of the game.

I'm against god involvement in crashes. I think god involvement ruin the experience, and it is easier for everybody if the no help rule is clear. No need to even ask then.

The exceptions are Tiamat, and bugged zone files etc.
spunionring
Sojourner

Postby spunionring » Sat May 02, 2009 1:03 am

Disoputlip wrote:I'm against god involvement in crashes. I think god involvement ruin the experience.

ruining the experience of a crash ?
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sat May 02, 2009 3:06 am

Playing with crashes is like a day of driving. But if you have an accident, especially when it's someone else's fault, there is insurance. Sure, we play the mud, but there's no parachute for when the mud, itself, fails in some fashion. Having a CR that's going to be a 1+ hour ordeal is not what I signed up for.. No changing of the rules basically forces me and I would assume quite a few others to just do something else.

As a boyfriend/husband, who here hasn't heard 'what's more important, me or that goddamned game?'
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Sat May 02, 2009 7:53 am

spunionring wrote:
Disoputlip wrote:I'm against god involvement in crashes. I think god involvement ruin the experience.

ruining the experience of a crash ?

More the experience of the game. If there was opened up for god involvement then the first thing people would think of after a crash is to peti, wait for gods to log on ect. Instead of doing it themselves.

I just think every time a god helps it ruins the illusion of the game. I assumed most people felt it like this. That is why I think a solution should be based on code, not by a random god beeing logged in.
spunionring
Sojourner

Postby spunionring » Sat May 02, 2009 2:08 pm

Disoputlip wrote:More the experience of the game. If there was opened up for god involvement then the first thing people would think of after a crash is to peti, wait for gods to log on ect. Instead of doing it themselves.

I just think every time a god helps it ruins the illusion of the game. I assumed most people felt it like this. That is why I think a solution should be based on code, not by a random god beeing logged in.

Ah nogs, good point.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Sat May 02, 2009 5:51 pm

No corpse rot would mean 3000 corpses all over VT, CM, etc.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Sat May 02, 2009 6:21 pm

Also any failed res should change to a 5 minute !pres timer

spunionring
Sojourner

Postby spunionring » Sat May 02, 2009 6:26 pm

Pril wrote:Also any failed res should change to a 5 minute !pres timer

ppl could just revive failed resses.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Sat May 02, 2009 9:20 pm

Many people are lazy when presing spunionring. Thus the pcorpses that have been at CM and VT for MONTHS without being ressed. If they fail it, give it a 5 minute rot period, non-presable. If you're zoning and need to, you'll revive anyways. If you're botting and doing xp in CM, tough crap. Let the damn pcorpses rot.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Wed May 20, 2009 7:16 am

grundar wrote:i agree with this idea
i also agree with eliminating exp, making everyone 50 as soon as they enter the game with all quest spells and tiamat gear
actually i have a better one, why dont we just close the game remove all zones and just keep the roller on, as soon as they finish rolling and enter the game tiamat tells them "You win!"

This is one of the best posts I have seen in these forums for ages. Using it mightily.
Merrick
Sojourner

Postby Merrick » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:55 pm

I agree with spunionring on the part about increasing the rot time of corpses form 18 hours to 24 hours. However having no rot time I strongly disagree on. First off it's just silly. Second we already have problems with people leaving there corpses around in VT for months on end and clogging up the screen with them. Third, I understand that people have lives and don't have time to retrieve there corpses right away (Lives? whats that?) and that it is difficult to get your corpse back from say tiamat in a crash. But for 8 out of 10 cases thats what the spells preserve/embalm are for. As well as rogues with nice hide/sneak skills.
Teej
Sojourner

Postby Teej » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:16 am

No corpse rot means you could get some shamans' corpses in strategic locations, for quick transport. Blocking that spell means a legitimate return to your body is negated. Perhaps having a time limit on when the corpse could be spirit walked to would be a valid work-around.
grundar
Sojourner

Postby grundar » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:06 pm

Teej wrote:No corpse rot means you could get some shamans' corpses in strategic locations, for quick transport. Blocking that spell means a legitimate return to your body is negated. Perhaps having a time limit on when the corpse could be spirit walked to would be a valid work-around.

Although shamans could indeed do that it wouldnt be a very convenient form of travel since spirit walking = only the most recent corpse and requires consent from others to spirit walk to their corpses as well. Although i could see myself suiciding deep inside a zone and summoning twink group in after spirit walk :P
Thilindel on Irony: Glibble GCC: 'stupid assed whiners'

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”