Shaman Ideas

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Gerad
Sojourner

Shaman Ideas

Postby Gerad » Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:43 pm

How about giving shamans a 'fly as the eagle' or some kind of animal related flying spell.

I think it makes perfect sense for the class.

I would also like to see some sort of 'spirit travel' spell that doesnt require anyone to be dead. Perhaps they could planeshift to the 'spirit realm' or you could basically give them something like a spirit related relocate spell.

That is all.

-Gerad
<I>When a man lies, he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths, which men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?</I>
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sat Oct 11, 2003 3:36 pm

Eagle flight! Self only
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Oct 11, 2003 4:17 pm

8)

Steve Miller already predicted this upgrade, as you can tell from his song lyrics:

I want to fly like an eagle, to the sea.

I want to fly like an eagle, let my SPIRIT carry me.

So obviously shaman should be able to cast a self only fly spell while their spirit is in the room.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sat Oct 11, 2003 7:24 pm

I'll reiterate an idea from the old bbs. If the staff isn't comfortable with a full fledged fly spell for shaman, even if it's self-only, having the spell shapechange the caster into an actual bird for the duration would still provide a useful utility spell while keeping things in flavor and keeping it from being as strong as a real fly.
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:29 am

not that i play a shaman or nothin but howabout giving them an ability based apon there spirit.. like for the ones with an eagle or crow or whatever let them self fly as suggested for bears or boars give them a spell that will add 3/3 to there hit/dam stuff like that prolly a stupid idea but i felt like typing somthin
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Adana
Sojourner

Postby Adana » Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:11 pm

How about a quested spell? Assume Spirit Shape. I will let somebody else worry about the specifics. ;)
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:17 am

i had a thought today... i just helped my girlfriend get her spirit pet today and was telling her about all of the restrictions one in particular

DONOT!!!! take your spirit into a town they will attack and keel it

howabout a spell/skill sor somthing called recall spirit (or somthing like that) if you have a spirit pet in the same zone as you you can recall it to you (kinda like mount recall) this would save some of those poor likkle pets
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Klandal
Sojourner

Pets

Postby Klandal » Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:33 am

I still don't understand why guards don't mind 'a vicious nightmare' being in their city walls, but a shaman's spirit is worthy of attack? This is the same with almost any other pet where it makes even less sense.

Maybe I wasn't around when it was made this way, but why are city guards aggro spirits in particular again?
irta
Sojourner

RE: recall spirit

Postby irta » Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:38 am

amolol wrote:howabout a spell/skill sor somthing called recall spirit (or somthing like that) if you have a spirit pet in the same zone as you you can recall it to you (kinda like mount recall) this would save some of those poor likkle pets

I'm in favor of giving shamans the same pet recall as eles (togpet is your friend). :)

the Irta
Nekler BlazingWolf
Sojourner

Re: RE: recall spirit

Postby Nekler BlazingWolf » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:06 am

irta wrote:I'm in favor of giving shamans the same pet recall as eles (togpet is your friend). :)

the Irta

That would be fine if shaman were ripping their pets from their home plane, but they don't. Their spirit pets come to them willfully when called.
old depok
Sojourner

Re: Pets

Postby old depok » Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:24 pm

Klandal wrote:I still don't understand why guards don't mind 'a vicious nightmare' being in their city walls, but a shaman's spirit is worthy of attack? This is the same with almost any other pet where it makes even less sense.

Maybe I wasn't around when it was made this way, but why are city guards aggro spirits in particular again?

Not exactly sure why they are agro but I do know that the gods did not want spirits in the towns. I was told (a couple of times :P ) that I needed to get my spirit off the docks when I used to solo dockies for exp. The reason I was given was roll play rather than game play.

Shrug not a big deal except for those little shaman out there that learn this lesson the hard way.
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:31 pm

Spirits are dead. Guards hate dead things. Like me and my pets. Guards are actually angry playa hatas as well. DO NOT take any of your hos into WD with you or you and they will be attacked.

Is the vicious nightmare dead? I think it is (not sure). Like taking a hell hound into WD in any case. Guards should attack them as well, but now I've angered the antis. I suppose it's not really about what makes sense in the end cause some people get what they want and some people don't.

Maybe the nightmare is tamed and the spirits/undead pets are just barely under control, but then are mentals allowed in WD...

Now I'm confused. There should be some uniformity here, but I suppose that would get boring. Not all mage classes get uniformity. I guess their treatment with pets shouldn't either.
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:07 pm

Nightmares and hellhounds aren't spirits/undead so much as they are just outerplanar in origin. Much the same as elementals. Shaman spirits aren't what one would consider to be malevolent undead, but they're still undead creatures (insubstantial, they have undead immunities and some undead benefits), and thus are treated harshly in civilized towns.

Long ago Waterdeep kicked the necromancers out of town; they're not interested in having any undead around.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:18 pm

Mitharx, good post :P

Irta, are you also in favor of getting only 3 ele pets per week? ;)
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Klandal
Sojourner

Undead in Cities.

Postby Klandal » Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:08 am

Eilistraee, I might say you have a point about undead in cities if I didn't see people with ZOMBIES running around not getting attacked. :P

And do you honestly think it makes more sense for guards to deem a spirit pet as hostile than a nightmare, zombie, fire elemental, or other pet that isn't aggro in cities?

Shamans are not outcast from cities like liches. We should be able to bring our pets into cities like any other pc's with pets, or they shouldn't either. It isn't consistent, nor makes any sense, to have it the way it is.
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:09 pm

Necromancers cannot bring their pets into town. Justice is not triggered by the presence of an undead mob in the zone, and there are going to be some mobs that are flagged incorrectly. It's possible those zombies are improperly flagged, or the people with them simply run past mobs that would be aggressive to the zombie.

You cannot have the benefits of a spirit that has the bonuses of undead, without accepting the penalties. As for the relative threat of a spirit pet versus a nightmare...

Well have you seen one of those nightmares fight anything or do they just sit there and get ridden into stuff?

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”