additional races (Y/N) and options

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.

Which one, if any, should be added?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:01 pm

Beholders
13%
Gith
16%
Acquatic Elves
8%
Gnolls/Kobolds/Goblins/Orogs
3%
Myconids
16%
Svirfneblin or Other
16%
None
29%

Total votes: 38
moritheil
Sojourner

additional races (Y/N) and options

Postby moritheil » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:01 pm

Let's get a summary of these, folks.

Salen and I have both posted BEHOLDERS as a suggested uberhard player race.

Many others have posted GITH races, specifically githzerai which would enable goodies to access psi class PCs.

Someone recently asked for a MERMAN-like class.

Korin wrote a thoughtful post on GNOLLS.

A while back, I wrote up KOBOLDS and GOBLINS for Soj.

And who could forget Nokie's cry for MYCONIDS?

(40 day poll.)
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:46 am

a while ago i posted an idea for wood/wild elves.... give them classes like warrior rogue shaman bard and thats it... the post is floating around somwhere... imagine shamans with semi decent mem times
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:13 pm

amolol wrote:a while ago i posted an idea for wood/wild elves.... give them classes like warrior rogue shaman bard and thats it... the post is floating around somwhere... imagine shamans with semi decent mem times

Hm, I missed it. Can you link to it? :)

Rihesesassixiz
Sojourner

Postby Rihesesassixiz » Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:23 pm

Myconidddddddddddddds!
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:39 pm

Yeah! The Myconid remort quest is already in game, just only half-completed!
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:41 pm

i personally like the thri kreen, i think it could be introduced without a major change in the way we all play this game.
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'
Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'
Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'
Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Re: additional races (Y/N) and options

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:38 pm

moritheil wrote:Many others have posted GITH races, specifically githzerai which would enable goodies to access psi class PCs.

If goodies get to play Psi then evils should have druids, paladins and anti-paladins.
Lilithelle stops using a softly throbbing piece of flesh.
Gura group-says 'ill go solo the biznatch, just don't tell Stamm'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:03 pm

mynazzaraxxsyn wrote:
moritheil wrote:Many others have posted GITH races, specifically githzerai which would enable goodies to access psi class PCs.

If goodies get to play Psi then evils should have druids, paladins and anti-paladins.

You already have druid type casters now, and we will trade you all of our anti's and pally's for your troll regen. So, do we get Psi's now?
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:15 pm

Everyone who suggests a new race to be added always neglects to do one thing.

Volunteer to write their hometown.

I’m sure the staff would add goblins or kobolds, maybe even aquatic elves, if someone went thru the laborious work of creating the hometown to house them.

I sincerely doubt Cyric is the type of guy who is going to look you in the face and say, “Wow this full and well written 200-500 room hometown you just sent me is really great and all, but you know what? I don’t think it fits our theme because we don’t have goblins/kobolds/aquatic elves as a pc race.”

No I think if you worked on a hometown that was very well done and you didn’t do it for a new PC race that wasn’t like anything currently existing (beholders are different then everything. Goblins are like Halflings, or could be. Kobolds could be evilace gnomes – In a sense), it could happen.

How do you think Orcs got put in? Do you honestly think people whined until they got imp'd?

-Caedym Shadowhock
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:15 pm

Caedym wrote:Everyone who suggests a new race to be added always neglects to do one thing.

Volunteer to write their hometown.

I’m sure the staff would add goblins or kobolds, maybe even aquatic elves, if someone went thru the laborious work of creating the hometown to house them.

I sincerely doubt Cyric is the type of guy who is going to look you in the face and say, “Wow this full and well written 200-500 room hometown you just sent me is really great and all, but you know what? I don’t think it fits our theme because we don’t have goblins/kobolds/aquatic elves as a pc race.”

No I think if you worked on a hometown that was very well done and you didn’t do it for a new PC race that wasn’t like anything currently existing (beholders are different then everything. Goblins are like Halflings, or could be. Kobolds could be evilace gnomes – In a sense), it could happen.

How do you think Orcs got put in? Do you honestly think people whined until they got imp'd?

-Caedym Shadowhock

Aha, BUT, Salen has written a hometown for beholders! :D At least, I remember him telling me that.

And I'd *love* to write a hometown, but you sure as hell better flag it Extra Hard ;)

Orku
Sojourner

Postby Orku » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:23 pm

I would write a hometown, if I knew how. People are out there willing to do it.
Zissa OOC: 'orku i will go to class for you if you go to work for me'
You OOC: 'if you don't mind me going naked'
Zissa OOC: 'sure its a bunch of sailors'
You OOC: 'got screwed on that one'

Senosa gets a bright green pillow.
Senosa says 'Pillow fight.....'
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:17 pm

I think there should be a flying race like sprite/pixie or aarakocra. That would beat a water breathing race.

N00bs could take them because they actually have problems getting fly eq.

The downside of theese races would then be that they couldn't go past 1ways.

/Disoputlip
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:23 pm

Disoputlip wrote:I think there should be a flying race like sprite/pixie or aarakocra. That would beat a water breathing race.

N00bs could take them because they actually have problems getting fly eq.

The downside of theese races would then be that they couldn't go past 1ways.

/Disoputlip

I actually put considerable thought into this at one point in time, going so far as to consider what races could be added. Hmm, I wonder if I kept any of those scribblings . . .

At any rate, the downside to having wings would be that I think we should remove their about body slot.

Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:17 pm

Badass Gith, with neckbite.
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:19 pm

Orku wrote:I would write a hometown, if I knew how. People are out there willing to do it.

I think you can use DikuEdit (<--This information might be bad)
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:23 pm

So, who's been writing up new hometowns? =)

Azenilsee
Sojourner

Postby Azenilsee » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:38 am

I vote for djinns, and they can have Brass for their hometown.
Azenilsee - Faern Dalharil
Azenilsee
Sojourner

Postby Azenilsee » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:39 am

I vote for djinns, and they can have Brass for their hometown.
Azenilsee - Faern Dalharil
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:26 am

we already have too many options as is. too many "token" classes.
the mud could do without rangers, antis, paladins, illusionists, elementalists, bards, etc. and the rest of the mud wouldn't even bat an eye. i hate to be the negative nancy here, but why do you think assassin/thief were rolled into rogue? and that mercs were removed? and zerkers? same bit.
Stamm
Sojourner

Postby Stamm » Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:17 pm

I'm for absolutely identical, but different named races.

I.e. gold dwarves and shield dwarves.
Sun elves, and moon elves.

The distinction would be where you started.

You'd still select the race 'dwarf' at the start, but after that you'd select which subrace.

I think it'd add a bit of flavour.
Osil
Sojourner

Postby Osil » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:23 pm

I think the githzerai would be the best race to add. Allow them to be psi but with some of the skills changed around. Maybe make them unable to do the wormhole quest or something like that. Also you could allow them to be monks and thus bring back that old class. The reason monks were axed way back when was because they were too oriental. The githzerai on the other hand has actual monestaries where they teach a form of martial arts. Their hometown would be in the astral plane and thus be tough to get out of. They would be an actual advanced race since leaving their hometown could mean running into Demagorgon.
Imis9
Sojourner

Postby Imis9 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:25 am

How about a goodie race analog of Ogres?
Stamm
Sojourner

Postby Stamm » Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:28 pm

Beholders - Stupid. It doesn't even warrant discussing.

Gith - Githyanki wouldn't be too bad. Extend the Githyanki fortress a little, and they have a hometown on Astral. They'd need some kind of innate shift prime that worked from astral, or some kind of gate to the underdark.

Githzerai aren't good aligned, they're supposedly lawful neutral, monk sort of types. That wouldn't rule them out from being aligned with the 'goodies' on Toril.

It's also a bit of a stretch to assume that either race would be happy to adventure around killing orcs on the prime material plane. But again it's not a _huge_ stretch.

Githzerai come from Limbo, but have several fortresses on the prime material plane, so either the Plane of Limbo, along with a Githzerai town or fortress would have to be created, or a Githzerai fortress on prime would have to be made.

But the main thing with Githzerai is that people want them in just so that they can get psionics. Would it not be simpler to ask for either gnomes, humans or elves to get the psionic class?

Aquatic elves. Nice idea, sorta. The problem is where are these aquatic elves going to live? Sure they can have their own hometown, but will they need airbreathing spells to survive out of it? In D+D they suffocate after being out of salt water for about 12 hours. So every 12 minutes they have to cast a spell or get back in salt water. Pretty pointless race. Why have them at all unless there are at least a dozen or two dozen underwater zones. I don't mean a hometown and 2 or 3 small xp zones. There has to be an area similar to the underdark in size or it's pointless adding them.

Myconids - Um. A pacifist race of fungus with no way to communicate with others? They're hardly going to join up with orcs and drow. And they certainly wouldn't join up with surface races, especially since they cannot communicate with them.

Svirfneblin - These are gnomes, sort of goodie gnomes that live in the Underdark. Why bother? We already have a race 'gnome'. If you want your gnome to be a Svirfneblin then say he is, sure he's homed in Ashrumite, but there isn't a Svirfneblin hometown. Write the hometown and perhaps the Gods will give gnomes a starting option of that rather than Ashrumite. Unless subraces go in (which is an idea I like) then I see no need for a Svirfneblin race.

Gnolls/kobolds/goblins/Orogs.

Orogs first of all. Sort of a cross between an orc and an ogre. Why? What would this add to the game.

Gnolls - Um, they'd be like orcs? No?

Kobolds and goblins I see the point here. A small sized evil race, goodies have little cute halfers and gnomes, evils don't have anything smaller than doogers.

I think I've probably spent more time on this than Morithiel has, which is kind of sad. Why can't people think something through before they just spout whatever is on their minds on the boards?
Lilithelle
Sojourner

Postby Lilithelle » Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:28 pm

I think evils could use a small caster race like goblin, and another race besides yuan-ti to use for some classes, another choice to orcs for some day-seeing classes, i know yuan day see but they can't be all classes!

Adding Githzerais to goods so goods can have PSIs I don't really like, evils and goods are unique sides, different strengths and weaknesses as it should be, I have no problem with that.

Something like Svirneblin so goods had access to the UD would be neat. Could remove elementalist from gnomes and give to svirneblin since its more up their alley. Gnomes would have illusionists, svirneblin wouldn't. Could give them some differences from gnomes to make it unique, maybe not quite as intelligent but a bit stronger (all that mining) maybe a minor innate or two. Speak with rocks!
You take a moment to confer with the local rocks. The rocks drone on and on about always being stepped on then go back to sleep.

Myconids would just rock, there could be a remort to myconid quest. I think the inability to communicate with most players is a definite asset, how about myconid druids?
So-and-so sends you a tell but its just indecipherable sound to you.
Woohoo, only have to well other myconids.

Beholder, ye gods no! I think new races could help, lots of muds have alot more races. I think we need to keep away from the silly ones that are obviously over-powered. Like giants, dragons, etc. Have to stick to races that are roughly equal to humans in power, but that doesn't mean we can't have interesting races. I think the idea of yuan-ti's is pretty neat, if we could add a few more interesting not quite humanoid races. Having the only difference between races being their stats as is the case will all the goodie races is a bit boring. Adding races isn't like adding classes, when your forming groups do you really look at peoples race except if they're a tank? At least if your a good you don't, you just want to make sure you have the core classes covered. Oh well I'll just end before i start rambling, wait that was 5 minutes ago.
Lil
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:33 pm

Stamm wrote:Myconids - Um. A pacifist race of fungus with no way to communicate with others? They're hardly going to join up with orcs and drow. And they certainly wouldn't join up with surface races, especially since they cannot communicate with them.

We here at Imphras have no sense of humor that we are aware of.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:42 pm

Stamm wrote:Gnolls/kobolds/goblins/Orogs.

Orogs first of all. Sort of a cross between an orc and an ogre. Why? What would this add to the game.

Gnolls - Um, they'd be like orcs? No?

Kobolds and goblins I see the point here. A small sized evil race, goodies have little cute halfers and gnomes, evils don't have anything smaller than doogers.

Wouldn't Orogs be the evil equivalent of Half-Elves? A ranger with the best of both worlds racial-stat wise?

Gnolls - What the hell point is that? Buncha big dumb hyena giant-like things. Not even a good slave race. And they smell. *yick* :P

Kobolds - Let's have them, but give them hps worse then a drow invoker with 52 con. 2hps a level max for every class! Then 1hp a level after 25th. They could have innate doppleganger, innate summon kobold hoard at 1st so at 50th they summon 50 level 1 kobolds to help them, and give them ton of attacks per round. Natural hit and dam of 0/0. They could be the only race to be Monks and Mercenaries! Hometown? They don't need to stinking hometown of their own! Let em start in BT or GH. No not DK. Fillthy things would stink up the place! *gag*

MMmMm Mmmm Crack! :D
Asup group-says 'who needs sex ed when you got sesexe.'
Targsk group-says 'sexedse'
mount dragon
You climb on and ride Tocx'enth'orix, the elder black dragon.
You have learned something new about mount!
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:30 am

I think if any new races went into the game Shevy would be able to handle it and balance them out well, that isn't my concern here. My concern is that it might get lame like Duris for example and just have a number of stupid races that should not be in game. My favorite example of this is "Vampire".
rarlaj
Sojourner

Postby rarlaj » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:54 am

since this is a forgotten realms themed mud and forgotten realms is a dnd concept...

how about letting humans be psioncists.

just a thought...
Rarlaj - Athiyk Cretok - Orbdrin D'oloth
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:27 pm

Aquatic elves sound cool. Though only if they basically had all their own areas and such underwater. I mean hometown, newbie zones, mid level exp zones. An entire separate place for them to dwell... only they can come visit land places too.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:28 am

Unless you want to further unbalance the mud or alternatively, turn the existing classes into one-trick-ponies, the correct thing to do would be to REMOVE classes.

Handled.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:20 am

I believe this thread is about Races, not Classes. But you get an 'E' for effort anyways. Keep on handlin!
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Rihesesassixiz
Sojourner

Postby Rihesesassixiz » Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:36 pm

Aquatic Elves would be most lovely.

They would need an underwater zone that is approximately the size of the underdark though.

Personally I think they should suffocate out of water. But because of gameplay issues, the spell they need to cast should last 48 minutes (hours) and they should suffocate within 24 hours. Or perhaps they could have an ability to douse themselves with water, it would be a requirement similar to eating.

If suffocating is too much, simply make the douse ability like eating. If the aquatic elves don't do it, they will not function anywhere near good.

Yep yep.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:45 pm

Rihesesassixiz wrote:Aquatic Elves would be most lovely.

They would need an underwater zone that is approximately the size of the underdark though.

Personally I think they should suffocate out of water. But because of gameplay issues, the spell they need to cast should last 48 minutes (hours) and they should suffocate within 24 hours. Or perhaps they could have an ability to douse themselves with water, it would be a requirement similar to eating.

If suffocating is too much, simply make the douse ability like eating. If the aquatic elves don't do it, they will not function anywhere near good.

Yep yep.

This is probably academic, but I would think they would only need one large zone which connects to bodies of water everywhere. And they probably wouldn't have to wait for ferries ;)

Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:12 pm

Sesexe wrote:...Half-Elves? A ranger with the best of both worlds racial-stat wise?

As far as I can tell, that's not the case. I don't have the AGI of an elf. I don't have the INT or CHA of an elf (which doesn't really matter for rangers, of course). I'm pretty sure I don't have the STR or CON of a human. Half-elf is a good race for rangers, but we don't have the best of both races' stats.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:07 am

In the end I probably don't care if any races do or do not get implemented but here are some thoughts:

Kuo-Toa. Probably a rather blah race, all in all, probably would just have your staple warrior, rogue, cleric classes as possibilities. Besides, if Kuo-Toa were in-game, DK would smell like fish, and I know Sesexe likes that smell :twisted:

Centaur. Lilithelle brought up a good point that most of the goodrace classes are basically the same in terms of body shape. This would allow for variety in that regards. Classes would probably run a fairly wide range probably--warrior, ranger, bard, elementalist, enchanter, druid etc. Would probably be a rather bad-ass class in terms of strength, dexterity, con, etc. so the loss of an eq-slot or two wouldn't be too sad (ie. legs/feet).

Just some ideas that I didn't see thrown out there as of yet. :)
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:12 pm

Birile wrote:Would probably be a rather bad-ass class in terms of strength, dexterity, con, etc. so the loss of an eq-slot or two wouldn't be too sad (ie. legs/feet).

Loss? Centaurs would get two leg slots and two foot slots. Just have to wear different, centaur-only gear, there. *grin*
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:23 pm

http://www.torilmud.dyndns.org/phpBB2/v ... hp?t=13947

If you guys are talking new races again, it wouldn't hurt to take a look at what's been said.

Korin
Sojourner

Postby Korin » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:54 pm

The problem here is.. My writeup on Gnolls probably isn't even accessible anymore. When I brought it up to people, everyone around me loved the idea. It'd be nice if people could read that again. Then there could be more of a valid agrument against them. It was actually a pretty cool idea.

btw, ya they'd be sorta like orcs, but they were meant to be their own class, like illithids, with their own moves and skills.. not meant to be a "warrior" or "cleric".

Anyway, besides gnolls, I think the centaur idea would be the best addition. Something with more variety on slots.. more of some, less of others. But otherwise no other characteristics. I don't know how their stats would come through, but they could be warriors, rangers and druids right? something like that.

myconids.. blah

pixies .. interesting but blah

~Drath
~Drathlaen Winterfyre / Dronak / Sselir / Serae / Cerona / ... and my very happy [8th] shaman Bijo and her tiger! ^_^
Korin
Sojourner

Postby Korin » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:58 pm

Actually, I do have another idea..

Vampires! It could be an over class, like liches. You'd gain things like drain life/blood suck.. ultravision would be a good vex vs the daylight. Shapechange (choice of bat, wolf, mist, etc). You could get a natural strength boost. Plus other skills as you go from 46-50 again.

I didn't really brainstorm too much on the type of abilities you'd gain, but it could be sort of boost to warrior types, since vamps are naturally stronger. (sorry don't have my monster manual on me atm)

Anyway...

~Drath again
~Drathlaen Winterfyre / Dronak / Sselir / Serae / Cerona / ... and my very happy [8th] shaman Bijo and her tiger! ^_^
Grizz
Sojourner

Postby Grizz » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:36 pm

What about Half Orc? We have Half Elves so why not a Half Breed on the Evils side?
Mogan: Paladin, Human(Active)

In the immortal words of Tagad, "F**K IT! CHARGE!"
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:54 pm

Grizz wrote:What about Half Orc? We have Half Elves so why not a Half Breed on the Evils side?

Because human can barely stomach pimping themselves out to sissy elves as is?
Meatshield
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:07 pm

not to rob the thread but just wanted to say that Vahok is just jelous because he's a half breed of a portapotty and roadkill... not quite sure how they managed to breed but the end result was Vahok

END OF THREAD ROB!

Pril

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”