Charge Ability

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Adana
Sojourner

Charge Ability

Postby Adana » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:13 pm

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth (pun intended) but will there be a change coming to charge? While I like that my griffin chomps and claws my opponent, I still feel that charge should be a skill like bash or trip. Having a mounted combat skill of 99, it seems unrealistic (yeah I know it's a game) to miss more than 30% of the time when charging. I am sure there are other factors involved but hey, it seems somehow wrong.

Here's to making charge a measurable skill!!

Adana :D
omrec
Sojourner

Postby omrec » Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:29 am

Have you actually tracked your charge percentage, or was that 30% just a guess? Last time I checked, I was missing < 20% of the time. How does the percentage missing on charge compare with the miss rate on kick or shieldpunch, anyone?

Charge is very powerful, if you use it correctly. With charge you can:
a) Keep a stunnable caster effectively silenced
b) Keep a bashed mob stuck on the ground
c) Delay casting/procs on non-stunnable mobs
d) Do some nice extra damage
e) Keep a mob from switching

I actually overuse charge at times, it is one of my favorite anti skills. Charge should be compared to shieldpunch and kick, not to bash and trip. We already get a bash-like skill. Its called "bash." When compared to shieldpunch and kick, charge doesn't look quite so useless, does it?

-Om
Pheten
Sojourner

Postby Pheten » Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:43 am

I think the main thing being said here is why does charge not go off of the mounted combat skill, as it is now, if I am level 50, which I am, and I have a skill of 99 in mounted combat, which I do, I will land the same amount of charges as if I had a skill of 1 in mounted combat.

The only thing (to my knowledge) that mounted combat effects right now is your chance of falling off your horse when picking up a fumbled weapon, and your chance to dodge enemy attacks while mounted. Why not expand this to include chance of landing a charge attack?

-phet
Adana
Sojourner

Postby Adana » Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:55 pm

Thanks Pheten for stating it more eloquently. Comparing charge to shield punch is a great idea. Any warriors out there wish to list the statistics for shield punch?

Same as with Pheten, level 50, mounted combat of 99 resulted in the average % listed before. Yes, I did track the number of misses for a limited time period and missed consistantly around 30% of the time. I have not done this since the new mounts have been implemented however.

Another thought I have had is with the new heal mount spell: For paladins, make it a 7th circle spell instead of 5th. We have the ability to heal our mounts already to a limited extent, unlike the Antis and Dires. Dispel Magic (while a worthwile spell *cough*) needs some company in the 7th circle for us.

Food for thought I hope.
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:06 pm

With all due respect for your tests and experiments, charge IS an aspect of mounted combat and its success or failure is directly linked to that skill.

There are, of course some situational modifiers that get checked, but rest assured that charge success is not some nebulous random chance, and does indeed improve with your skill.
Adana
Sojourner

Postby Adana » Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:13 pm

Must have missed where I posted that charge was useless. I consider charge to be one of a mounted combatants most powerful weapons. Which is why I am disappointed that it fails so often for me.

Anyway, I will gladly compare charge to shieldpunch and kick instead of bash and trip. The point I was trying to make is how often I am missing on charges. Again, I have conducted an experiment regarding the percentage of charge contacts this time with my new Zealous Griffon. 57% successful charge.

It just still seems wrong. I wish that a warrior with 99 in shieldpunch or kick would track his/her percentage and post it for comparison.

Thanks. :)
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:25 pm

Shieldpunch skill 0-90, useless. Skill 90-99, not completely useless. Actually there are some descent uses for shieldpunch (see spob psi fights, giant casters, etc.), but the amount it lands and stuns isn't very high below the master range (Maybe it does hit/stun more on excellent, but that's as much as I've cared to practice it to and I can't hit all that much with it, but then I suck).

What a long sidenote.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”