Necromancer / Shaman Summon of Pets

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Lorsalian
Sojourner

Necromancer / Shaman Summon of Pets

Postby Lorsalian » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:39 am

Seems that most of my idea posts stem from annoyance. Given that shaman and necromancers are both restricted in how they summon their pats (I have not played many mages -- if I am wrong, please nicely correct).

The restriction tends to annoy when the pets have been misplaced. Either across a ferry, or due to post-fight lag -- only to be noticed 20-30 rooms later.

While classes other than necro and shaman could simply tog and resummon, necromancers would need to tog all their pets instead of the one lost, and shamans would lose one of their 3 (?)/ day summonings.

I would advocate a way -- most likely a spell -- that would enable either the pet to begin tracking or be summoned outright to the spot where the pet-maker was.

Penalties could include:
* Won't work if either caster or pet in battle
* Only works within the same zone
* Caster drained of movement points (or a number based on distance)
* If tracking instead of summon, track would, of course, were off if in battle, or when destination reached.
* Large to Massive lag/ casting time required.

and would most likely be fairly high in circle, at least 6+ (on par with corpse glamour for convienance).

PS An ability to tog one pet would help me here also, but the pet-summon could be quite interesting.
PPS (A)Pally mounts might benefit as well, although their deity might frown on the knight who 'misplaced' his (un)holy mount *shrug*
PPPS If this annoyance is a balancing factor, simply say, and ignore :p
Eza
Sojourner

Postby Eza » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:43 am

Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

:D
Holding this in mind
That if we fall, we all fall
And we fall alone
Bilraex
Sojourner

Postby Bilraex » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:44 am

the idea for a summon pet spell has been thrown around for along time, nothing happening though.
irta
Sojourner

Re: Necromancer / Shaman Summon of Pets

Postby irta » Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:07 am

Lorsalian wrote:Seems that most of my idea posts stem from annoyance. Given that shaman and necromancers are both restricted in how they summon their pats (I have not played many mages -- if I am wrong, please nicely correct).

Speaking as an elementalist, I'm opposed. Not that I can trivially tog and resummon a new elemental (the original one will track and attack me if we're in the same zone). But the strength of elementalist's pets is that they are unlimited and hence we can be pretty casual with their welfare. As a necromancer or shaman, in exchange for getting more powerful pets then elementalists, there comes a much stronger responsibility to keep your pets alive and with you.

the Irta
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:36 am

_If_ necros could summon their pets, I don't see why summoning 'wraith or 2.spectre' whatever would have either massive or long summon time. I feel it should be treated same as regular summon. A chance to summon an agg to caster only shade/shadow - or successful summon that lags about 8 seconds. Necro's can't get around at all basically, they pretty much suck for mobility. Good idea to me for the pets. Now shaman, imho, are more in tune with their spirit. That should be an innate ability but only once per day, with 0 lag
Colje
Sojourner

Re: Necromancer / Shaman Summon of Pets

Postby Colje » Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:29 am

irta wrote:
Lorsalian wrote:Seems that most of my idea posts stem from annoyance. Given that shaman and necromancers are both restricted in how they summon their pats (I have not played many mages -- if I am wrong, please nicely correct).

Speaking as an elementalist, I'm opposed. Not that I can trivially tog and resummon a new elemental (the original one will track and attack me if we're in the same zone). But the strength of elementalist's pets is that they are unlimited and hence we can be pretty casual with their welfare. As a necromancer or shaman, in exchange for getting more powerful pets then elementalists, there comes a much stronger responsibility to keep your pets alive and with you.

the Irta

I need to correct you, shaman pets been downgraded ...and I can see litle advantage on having a spirit pet then having an ele pet to be honest.

And dont give me "play another class", I've heard that one to many times.

/Colje a bit frustrated...(nothing personal irta)
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:59 pm

I don't know Colje I still don't see Elementalists using pets to rescue peeps in zones like I do with my tiger.

However, I don't see the ability to summon lost pets as changing the balance between Shaman/necros and Elementalists. Shaman still have to worry about their pets dieing in combat much more than ele's do. The single biggest cause of spirit death (in zones) is spirits not getting globes. That is not a concern for ele's. If their pets die in combat, the cast another spell.

This is more of an annoyance than anything else.

Also, I would agree with giving necros the ability to tog a single pet by name. Seems silly that they would have to lose all pets because one was lagged out or stunned when the group moved and wasn't noticed.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:32 pm

Should be able to summon your pet from anywhere in the game if you left it somewhere. But when you summon it, it should arrive with 1 hp. Same with mounts.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:47 pm

thanuk wrote:Should be able to summon your pet from anywhere in the game if you left it somewhere. But when you summon it, it should arrive with 1 hp. Same with mounts.

I one 100% agree with thanuk here ... but it should be for those pets that are binded to their master (shaman) only ... and eba quest spell .. maybe a 6th circle spell or something

as far as elemental pets not rescuing like shaman ... thats the fault of the elementalist imho ... or maybe the elementalist has been tasked with silencing/paralyzing/or blinding (elemenmtalists lag hardcore with pet rescue)
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:13 am

elementalists dont need their pets. elementalists ARE their own pet and can heal themselves.

necros rely on their pets. their pets ARE the necro.

dont attempt to put the two in the same category.
Colje
Sojourner

Postby Colje » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:10 am

Nogs Depok, I keep using my spirit for rescues too...when I notice shit goes bad, I get a spirit up to join the fun...

But I agree with thanuk on this point, a penalty for summon pet is a fair trade...

One more thing, have you guys read spirits desc latly? it says that the spirit got wings..yes WINGS..but it still cant fly. I thought by being a spirit ( a spirit eagle like I have) you definitly should be able to fly.

/Colje
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:43 pm

I really hope my tiger doesnt have wings now. Why would a spirit need wings? They are immaterial and floating!

Can't ...... believe ...... I ......... am ........ saying ........ this ..............but I agree with mullet head.

There I said it.
Pheten
Sojourner

Postby Pheten » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:57 pm

Ambar wrote:I one 100% agree with thanuk here ... but it should be for those pets that are binded to their master (shaman) only ... and eba quest spell .. maybe a 6th circle spell or something)

Why? I can see not letting this be an ability of someone who makes their pets at the drop of a hat, like an elemental but AP's and Palis depend on their horses a ton, this ability/spell would benefit them a ton and I see no reason why they at least should not get it as well. Necros I'm kinda 50/50 on, honestly don't see any real reason they should not get it either.

-phet
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:27 pm

Pheten wrote:
Ambar wrote:I one 100% agree with thanuk here ... but it should be for those pets that are binded to their master (shaman) only ... and eba quest spell .. maybe a 6th circle spell or something)

Why? I can see not letting this be an ability of someone who makes their pets at the drop of a hat, like an elemental but AP's and Palis depend on their horses a ton, this ability/spell would benefit them a ton and I see no reason why they at least should not get it as well. Necros I'm kinda 50/50 on, honestly don't see any real reason they should not get it either.

-phet

whats the limit on a-p/pal/dire pet summon ... is it 3/week??? if so then sure .... just looked it up and apparently it IS the same ... so sure why not
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”