Simple, but cool idea!

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Vahok
Sojourner

Simple, but cool idea!

Postby Vahok » Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:32 am

To help a character be more "unique" when it comes to eq and looks, how about a rotating colour system to eq?

Not ridiculous like 10 different colours per item, but how about maybe two or three different schemes? Of course, some items would have to stay the same (colour in the description), but all item X should not have to look the same.

Gives us kinda a taste of restrings, but eliminates the silly names people would come up with, colours that don't match item descriptions, the appearance of favourtism when it comes to restrings, etc. Plus, old zones could get done more (I have to go to FP, the red and yellow ansi flaming earring loaded) and more trading between players.

Thoughts?
Meatshield
Clangeddin
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Clangeddin » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:47 pm

Interesting idea, but kinda tricky from my perspective as an areas maker.

Let's say you have 5 different items in a zone, and you want each to have 4 different possible color schemes. What you would have to do is have a separate entry for each, then tweak the zone file to randomly select which one loads in any given boot.

If these items were needed for quests, it becomes a nightmare.

While I think it's sort of a spiffy concept, I don't immediately see a way of doing it easily.
Clangeddin Silverbeard, Lord of the Twin Axes
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:47 pm

Shrug, maybe just the major eq in the zone. For brass, say elemental ring and griffon wings only. I would never expect area makers to bother with tons of eq to fall under this change. I guess I want some colour in my world!
Meatshield
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:46 pm

Muamman wrote:Interesting idea, but kinda tricky from my perspective as an areas maker.

Let's say you have 5 different items in a zone, and you want each to have 4 different possible color schemes. What you would have to do is have a separate entry for each, then tweak the zone file to randomly select which one loads in any given boot.

If these items were needed for quests, it becomes a nightmare.

While I think it's sort of a spiffy concept, I don't immediately see a way of doing it easily.

It involves a lot of clever manipulation, but it is doable. I think things should be left the way they are. A really dedicated areas writer will pull it off, and then their zone will be more popular - the way it should be.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”