fireshield/coldshield

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Abbayarra
Sojourner

fireshield/coldshield

Postby Abbayarra » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:58 pm

Any warrior or rogue can tell you that a mob with fireshield/coldshield is bad news. If the game was balanced the mob wouldn't have over 10X the hitpoints a fully decked out warrior/rogue has. This gives the mob and casters an advantage.
Casters are not bothers because it only affects melee damage and mobs don't care because you'll kill yourself on it long before you do any damage to the mob. Casters have numerous ways to get around this protection for melee while melee classes cannot do anything about it for themselves.
They need a skill to help balance melee. I suggest a skill that would halve the damage a warrior or rogue takes from fireshield/coldshield on a successful check and when you have a high skill gives a chance to outright dispel the shield on a successful attack. Say with a fully maxed out skill of 99 it would give you a 9.9% chance on a successful strike of removing the shield.
I don't care what reason you give for this skill, heck, for all I care, put this check onto the offense skill. PC casters should not care because a mob is hardly ever going to kill himself on their shield.
Savras
Staff Member - Areas

Re: fireshield/coldshield

Postby Savras » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:34 pm

Abbayarra wrote: If the game was balanced the mob wouldn't have over 10X the hitpoints a fully decked out warrior/rogue has. This gives the mob and casters an advantage.

Uhh... people always seem to forget the odds are *15 to 1* when you fight mobs. So yea, mobs are going to need a bit of a boost to make it a challenge, heh.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:24 am

8)

As a lich, I get a lot of kills with coldshield. It's one of my best offensive abilities..
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:51 am

warriors do have a skill to get around shield. its called glance bash
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:45 pm

8)

I can just see a dumb troll or ogre warrior sitting there and glancing at the fire elemental repeatedly, waiting for its shield to drop..
Colje
Sojourner

Postby Colje » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:02 pm

Yayaril wrote:8)

I can just see a dumb troll or ogre warrior sitting there and glancing at the fire elemental repeatedly, waiting for its shield to drop..

HAHAHA

Make a 3west out of it yaya :P Please...would rock....
Lenefir
Sojourner

Postby Lenefir » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:29 pm

Hmm... Don't remember where I saw it, perhaps it was the 3rd edition rules, but anyway, there fireshield and coldshield did a fixed amount of damage, like 1d6+something, each time you hit a mob with it. Don't really think it is like this here, because rogues can backstab themselves to death on a shield, and not die if they just do normal damage, and as far as I have understood, it just returns the amount of damage you do to the mob (or player).

I suppose it would downgrade mages a bit (in the arena, but who cares about that anyway ;), and against real mobs out there, most of those high levels are globed so it won't matter that much...

Perhaps tweak it a little, perhaps have it scale with the casting level of the mob and player, or something... Just a thought...
"Being God isn't easy. If you do too much, people get dependent on you; and if you do nothing, they lose hope. You have to use a light touch [...]. When you do things right, people won't be sure you have done anything at all"
--Futurama

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”