Weapon Dice / Melee ideas

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Waelos
Sojourner

Weapon Dice / Melee ideas

Postby Waelos » Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:17 am

Hey. . .here's a proposition for weapon dice. . .

Basically Im formulating this around the fact that once monks were acceptable (in their damage) at 7d5 and getting 7 attacks per round. This is also dependent on monks being removed because of there being no "Kara-Tur" flavor being acceptable on the Mud any longer and not being removed for damage reasons.

Most good 2h weapons should have a larger 'upside' to their damage, which would reflect it being more difficult to land a telling blow with such a huge weapon, but when they connect they hurt like hell. . I propose 2h dice as follows:

2d16
3d12
4d10

Max of these is a possible 40 points (a bit more than our monk at 35)

Large 1h weapons (swords, maces, axes, etc) should be a bit more diverse. . . but follow a similar pattern. Being 1h they should be hitting a bit more often but never doing too much damage. . . I propose:

6d3
7d3
4d4
5d5

Small 1h weapons should be even more precise (daggers, short swords, etc) but less damaging:

4d3
6d2
7d2

Not sure this really helps too too much, but would give a more 'realistic' variety to weapon classes. Of course, you may want to assign additional dice to weapons with extraordinary qualities (like say a dagger made of magical lava might warrent more damage dice (an additional d4?)

I realize this might damage rogues somewhat, but their hitting is already pretty strong with all the add-ons to thier melee skill. And also, rogues could choose to move to larger piercing weapons (1h spears, tridents, etc) which might open the doorways for areas makers to add in more items that are useful to players.

Also, perhaps there could be new code added that added additional attacks based on weapon wieght. This could add a whole new dimension to the melee portion of the game.

Weight 1 weapons get an 75% chance per round for an additional attack.
2-5 a 50%
6-7 a 25%
8-10 10%
11+ 0%

Or some formula. This is an on-the-fly idea that hasn't had much refinement. . .so you could adjust the weapon dice/additional attack(s?) for better balance than I have here.

So the rogue might choose to wield that spear in the primary hand, and a light, fast dagger in the offhand to gain some more hits. . .or maybe two light, fast weapons for more attacks. . . but sacrificing the big damage blows on backstab and circle (but getting more opportunities to proc/poison/vital strike/etc)

The variety and different effects of weapon sizes and weights can have implications for all melee classes! I won't bore you with more examples ;)

Another Idea:
Warriors should get a skill that allows them to use their shield as an offensive weapon. Much like dual wield, it would give them a %chance for an offhand attack (bap!) with their shield. Now, I think that this would be best implemented as a tog'able skill (like agg) as I think that should they desire to use the shield offensively there should be an AC penalty (but should NOT negate shieldblocking) of around 15-20 (your average shield AC boost).

This post was originally going in the Object changes thread. . but it developed into more of an idea post. Again, unrefined but I think the base concepts have some merit. Would like staff/player feedback and any additional ideas, please contribute!

Thanks!

Lost.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:18 am

Nice ideas. Some of that would add variety into melee, and be a good improvement for damage.
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:08 am

some nice ideas! the numbers on the dice of course would be up for discussion/review, but the ideas are good ones!
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:10 am

aye gonna agree. the variety u suggest could be a good thing with some minor changes/reviewing perhaps.
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.
Teba tells you 'let me do my job you volo twinker!'
Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:30 am

Good ideas way. The only thing I saw that I didn't like was the amount of dice on damage. The reason there are 3d4 and 2d4 is not because of the number of attacks but only because of the obvious of one having more minimal damage than another. so haveing 3d4 is better than 2d6, same max damage, but 3d4 is superior because of the minimal damage. this has nothing to do with the amount of attacks dealt by the weapon. Even though I would still think your system is pretty nice and well thought out. What would be nice though would be to have the daggers be higher amounts of low end dice like 3d4 etc while swords get a higher max damage but same/lower min damage. Same being for 2h swords/bigger weapons. This has nothing to do with logic, but while rogues have no other option than a dagger really, we would be even worse at doing damage imo. granted we will some day have spears, but even those are the same dice as shortswords which are just a tick above daggers, so there wouldn't be much of a change.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:11 pm

Really, I don't see why changing the dice matters. It is the average damage that matters. Especially, considering how often we hit (multiple attacks per round).
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:50 pm

So when are we getting monks back?
Orku
Sojourner

Postby Orku » Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:23 am

Monks will come back in the form of the cowboy!
Zissa OOC: 'orku i will go to class for you if you go to work for me'
You OOC: 'if you don't mind me going naked'
Zissa OOC: 'sure its a bunch of sailors'
You OOC: 'got screwed on that one'

Senosa gets a bright green pillow.
Senosa says 'Pillow fight.....'
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:06 am

Some great ideas by the looks there Wey!
The damage dice on weapons are a very important part of slicing, dicing, stabbing and smashing stuff as a melee class in this mud.
Lately with many of the object changes etc. a lot of folk feel a bit disheartened with thier melee and some examination of these suggestions, at least, is worthwhile I think.
BEER
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:08 am

8)

It'd be nifty if they brought back monks and took the focus off of pure melee damage and gave them some other abilities to make them more rounded.
Lim
Sojourner

so monks are coming back then?

Postby Lim » Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:34 pm

so this means monks are returning right?

Lim
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Re: so monks are coming back then?

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:08 pm

Lim wrote:so this means monks are returning right?

Lim

[Frankenstein's Monster Voice]Monks good! Fire baaaad![/Frankenstein's Monster Voice]
Lilithelle stops using a softly throbbing piece of flesh.
Gura group-says 'ill go solo the biznatch, just don't tell Stamm'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
Marforp
Sojourner

Postby Marforp » Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:56 pm

Best idea of the bunch: wt of weapon affects how often you can attack a round.

As someone said (to lazy to scroll back right now) the max/min damage really doesn't matter, but the average damage (and # of attacks) is where it's at.

Marforp (a.k.a. Lalokiple / Sasdor)
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:26 pm

Happy to see this thread back . . .. but not happy to see stuff about monks ;) I really don't think the game can support another 'damage' class, let alone one that is supposed to do it through Melee. We're low on Niches already. .. but if their focus was removed from melee that'd be good..but what good would they be? =)

Lost

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”