Summon Elemental Kin

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
othelil
Sojourner

Summon Elemental Kin

Postby othelil » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:49 pm

Summon Elemental Kin currently summons any of a variety of pretty useless imps (mephits). Could we have it summon what might be somewhat more useful "actual" elemental kin instead? For air this would be a Sylph, for earth a Pech, for fire a Salamander, and for water a Nereid.

Could we also make the Sylphs/Nereids spellcasters so we'd have kin that might be a tad useful at later levels beyond fodder/scouts?
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular.
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:49 pm

No.

Kin have their uses. A 3rd circle pet certainly doesn'tneed to be able to cast. Casting pets are for necros/liches. Go roll a necro like everyone else.
othelil
Sojourner

Postby othelil » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:43 pm

Maedor wrote:Kin have their uses.

Yeah, like I said, fodder and scouting. There is little beyond that they are worth using for except exp'ing before you have elementals

Maedor wrote:A 3rd circle pet certainly doesn'tneed to be able to cast.

Well if your only objection is circle, bump the circle of both conjure and summon two circles. Conjure elemental is definitely one of our best spells, and how many classes can say that one of their _best_ spells (many staples are at 5'th, but not best) is in their fifth circle?

Then summon elemental kin would be 5'th circle and more deserving of at least a little power, and conjure elemental would be 7'th circle and it could use a little tweaking too.

Maedor wrote:Casting pets are for necros/liches.

Which would still be true in the plural since we only get one, but I'm not sure why you feel that the fact that a pet can cast is the defining point of the masters of the undead. The defining point is they can raise many, and many different types, and can do a whole host of things we can't.

Besides, we never even discusses what level they'd be (ie what circle they could cast to), and that's the biggest factor. 5'th and below and they aren't anything except my personal amusement really =)

Anywhos, just a thought. Any other opinions?
Dlur
Sojourner

Postby Dlur » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:13 pm

It's fine and more than usefull in the circle that it's in now. And yes my main character is an elementalist when I play.
Ghimok|Dlur|Emeslan|Ili|Zinse|Teniv
*~~~~~~~~~~*
"Censorship is telling a man he can't eat a steak just because a baby can't chew it." - Mark Twain
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:28 pm

I think I missed something. . . did elementalists all of a sudden lose their uber solo abilities and other skills/spells? Do they really need an upgrade?

really lost.

Lost.
othelil
Sojourner

Postby othelil » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:52 pm

Ele's certainly don't need an upgrade, but the thread was in fact primarily about asthetics (ie mephits != elemental kin). Secondarily, it kind of annoys me that mephits aren't good for a great deal, but I suppose I should put downgrades in the same thread as upgrades.

In the meantime I'll let some big aggro mobs munch on my poor little mephits. Do you think they're big enough to qualify as a snack?
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:43 am

try rolling a new ele and then when you get mephits let me know if they are useless or should be bumped up a few few circles....

if were gonna look at the elemental class at low lvls lets look at the spells and the fact that untill lvl 16 earth darts is your most powerfull spell... no spell should be your most poerfull for 3 circles... not even at low lvls upgrade those other offencive spells
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:31 am

amolol wrote:try rolling a new ele and then when you get mephits let me know if they are useless or should be bumped up a few few circles....

if were gonna look at the elemental class at low lvls lets look at the spells and the fact that untill lvl 16 earth darts is your most powerfull spell... no spell should be your most poerfull for 3 circles... not even at low lvls upgrade those other offencive spells

huh?? mentalists are fine ...

i believe he is just askin for a name change ... to make them a little more *planar* accurate?

IE: water plane mephit be a water based race??

btw ... snake pets pwn! they are so damned stylish!
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:36 am

We all know he just wants sylphs and nereids for ahem... nm.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:50 am

hahahaha

-Italian Proverb
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:18 am

The main Objection I had was Otheil asked for the elemental kin to 'be more usefull and to cast spells'

That would add power to a class that is already pretty darn good.

The Elemental kin certainly works for the elementalist at the time they need it (low level exp).

I'm sure everyone would like to have their low circle spells upgrade and become more usefull as they gain levels. .. . I mean, look at invokers. I'd say a majority of their spells sub 7th circle are throw aways (all those nukes they never use once they get FM, etc. It makes more sense to flee, mem out fm's and come back then it does to cast those other nukes).

Thats about it!

Lost
othelil
Sojourner

Postby othelil » Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:37 pm

Hyldryn wrote:We all know he just wants sylphs and nereids for ahem... nm.

Shhhh, no telling!
Ace
Sojourner

Postby Ace » Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:53 pm

Waelos wrote:The Elemental kin certainly works for the elementalist at the time they need it (low level exp).
Lost

I never used Elemental kin at lower levels, I found them useless. Their 7 hps didn't pwn over mobs around that level at all. I would rather use a ranger for a tank before a ele kin....well maybe not....The only thing that i see that they are usefull for are teaching how to control pets, which does come in handy if your a newbie

Ace
[48 Elementalist] Acedizaken (Duergar) (RP)
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:12 pm

Ace wrote:Their 7 hps...

Wow thats a big one! Best I've gotten has been 5hps with them mostly around 4hps. I've pitted one against a level 2 mob and the kin lost.
Lilithelle stops using a softly throbbing piece of flesh.
Gura group-says 'ill go solo the biznatch, just don't tell Stamm'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
Grumdikanikus
Sojourner

I must Rawk Then!

Postby Grumdikanikus » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:06 pm

< 270h/267H 141p/141P 109v/114V >
< > cast 'summon elemental kin'
You start chanting...

< >
Casting: summon elemental kin ***

< >
Casting: summon elemental kin **

< >
Casting: summon elemental kin *

< >
You complete your spell...
An air mephit blinks into existence at your side, peering about suspiciously.
An air mephit starts following you.
order followers report grumdikanikus

< > Ok.
Grumdikanikus's pet an air mephit tells you 'I have 236 (236) hits, and 122 (122) movement points.'

Well I must RAWK then. Or did you mean a ele Kin at 16th level? instead of 44th?

Grummy :D
< >
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:22 pm

At level 18th.
Lilithelle stops using a softly throbbing piece of flesh.
Gura group-says 'ill go solo the biznatch, just don't tell Stamm'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:13 am

Waelos wrote:I mean, look at invokers. I'd say a majority of their spells sub 7th circle are throw aways (all those nukes they never use once they get FM, etc. It makes more sense to flee, mem out fm's and come back then it does to cast those other nukes).

Thats about it!

Lost

:P
Too bad minute meteors are a vokers most damaging spell until 41+ :P
..but that's a different thread altogether :P

Kin make damn fine tanks at low levels...try fire/air. they tank like champs and regen quick.

If you raise them a few circles, then you defeat their origional purpose..to help new eles until they get real mentals.

Change their name sure...but I see *no* reason to change anything else about them.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:13 pm

I used them up until I left Evermeet ... I just threw them at mobs til the mob got hurt enough so I could jump in. It's much betetr than having nothing at all!

-Italian Proverb
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:46 pm

How about we stop bringing up elementalists at all, lest someone realize how absolutely cheezy they are and give them the downgrade that they deserve?:) kthxbye.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Abbayarra
Sojourner

tread stealing

Postby Abbayarra » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:50 pm

I have both a 39th ranger and a 34th illusionist. All I have to say is the illusionist is way crazy more powerful than the ranger. I can tank(displace/shade) and hit(attackspells) better than the ranger. I say upgrade melee as per Weylari's weapon dice suggestion and upgrade tanking or dg mage damage and defensive spells.
othelil
Sojourner

Re: tread stealing

Postby othelil » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:54 pm

Abbayarra wrote:I have both a 39th ranger and a 34th illusionist. All I have to say is the illusionist is way crazy more powerful than the ranger. I can tank(displace/shade) and hit(attackspells) better than the ranger. I say upgrade melee as per Weylari's weapon dice suggestion and upgrade tanking or dg mage damage and defensive spells.

That's sooooooo far off topic (whatever the heck this topic is now) that it's amazing. I think you want a new thread for that thought.

Silly thread hijackers. The staff haven't commented on the melee suggestions/issues in the melee threads, they're not going to comment on it here.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:26 pm

The name change would be cool, but anything else would just be overkill for this class. I used mephits constantly for tanks at low levels and they did rather well for shady mercs and smugglers. I think it makes up for the lack of damage at lower levels honestly.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”