Going once, going ... oops, auction over!

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Lorsalian
Sojourner

Going once, going ... oops, auction over!

Postby Lorsalian » Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:07 pm

I'm sure this has been voiced before, but a search of the forums didn't reveal any similar posts.

Might a provision be added to extend the auction time by at least 1h (game hour) when a bid has been made?

Granted, this wouldn't help the cases where a person would not be around for the close of an auction (due to timezones) but I cannot think of a way to help that situation without causing delays -- eg an auction where everyone has bid, but the counter is back to a month, would be perhaps a bit excessive.

However, a smaller increment would allow all bidders to get a chance, with an added bonus (for the sellers, as well as eq value) that the eq would sell for a bit higher.

*shrug*
Thanuk OOC: 'thats 6 years of hard work, come to fruitition in 1 single statement'
Was Felton Orm the "Wizard of Auz" ?

Lorsalian Silvermist -- Seeker of the Complete MUD Cookkit
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:16 pm

I don't use auction all that much, however, I attend RL auto auctions all the time. One thing you learn from the start - What's it worth to you. Sure being frugal can save some jink, but if one really wants something, nickel and diming stuff will lead to heartache pretty often. I can also say that RL auctioneers get pissed if over and over the crowd is non-responsive to the auctioneer's chant. Therefore, you hear the words 'Your man's out!' Basically, he's had enough of someone wasting his time. BG's auctioneer is already at this point! He must not get commission :wink:
Cordan
Sojourner

Postby Cordan » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:14 am

Heh. It's basically come down to a game of chance. Who gets the last bid in on time. You see nothing getting bid on until like the last 24-48 minutes, then when the hour reaches 1 to 0, people bid like mad. This is stupid imho, because the fastest typer with the quickest hands can get it more so than the person willing to spend the most. You make a blind choice on the price, and hope no one else goes over it, without a chance to respond to someones higher bid.

Kinda hurts those selling too, because it may be that the time ran out before the person willing to pay the big bucks could press enter.

Thus, I support the idea when there's 1h left, and someone bids in that last bit of time, it adds like 2-3 mud hrs(minutes) to allow people to answer. It shouldn't stack though, because some items can have many bids in that time. 2-3 mud hrs set at time of current bid. Give some of us slower people a chance. I could have won, and would have paid the cash for several items today, but because I was slow in typing, I lost them.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:51 am

If you were a coder, would you rather A) put even more coding into your auction or B) tell people to just pay what they think it's worth?
Cordan
Sojourner

Postby Cordan » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:54 pm

You think it's worth 5k, current bid is at 2k. It comes down to the wire, you slam your bid of 5k in at the last second, and the other person you're bidding against only has 2.5k, so that's what they bid.

You just paid almost twice what you needed to pay to get it. Seems like a waste of a decent aspect of an auction. Even if you think it was worth 5k, not everyones ideas of value are the same, and you'd be kicking yourself paying 5k when you coulda paid 2600 instead.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:04 pm

I guess if you didn't want it badly enough to pay 5K for it, then the person that sniped it for 2.2K probably wanted it more.
Cordan
Sojourner

Postby Cordan » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:06 pm

Ashiwi wrote:I guess if you didn't want it badly enough to pay 5K for it, then the person that sniped it for 2.2K probably wanted it more.

Not sure I follow....

If you think something is worth 5k, and would be willing to pay the 5k, yet you have the chance to get it for 2.6k, what would you spend??? 2.6 or 5? 2.6k unless your stupid.

It just sucks to have to GUESS what the other person is going to bid right at the last second and try and overshoot it, then overshoot it by 5 miles and spend 5 when you coulda spent 2.6 and gotten the same thing. I bet the seller loves it though :P

The person bidding 2.5k might not have more money than that, or he might not personally think it's worth that to him, or maybe he would pay more, but he just can't afford it. Ultimately, this screws the winner out of more money than he/she/it needs to spend.

Plus, using the same numbers above, say i would have spent 6k+ to get it. But with it being at 2.5k, I think 4k is way more than enough. I get outbid by someone bidding 5k at last second and loose. Yet I would have gone 6k or more if I had realized it would go up that high. This actually screws the seller out of money too.

Bidding way high, or about right, someone will get screwed either way. If you just extended the auction by 2-3 minutes, it might give people the opportunity to borrow cash and or respond.

It's the fairest to the bidders and the sellers.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:32 pm

If you get what you want, you didn't bid too high. If you didn't get what you want, then you didn't want it badly enough to pay for it. I understand your logic, because you want to pay the cheapest price possible on the items you want, and it would be really stupid to pay more than you might possibly get away with. Only "stupid" people like me would bid a really high amount to begin with if they could possibly get it cheaper... but then "stupid" people like me tend to get what they're willing to work or pay for, and still have plats to spare.

Sometimes it's not a question of how cheap you can be, it's a question of how much you want to invest.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:37 pm

Why don't you just spend the 3 hours getting the eq instead of the 12 hours writing an uberl33t auction sniper trigger?

If its on the auction, its in the game. Go get it!
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Cordan
Sojourner

Postby Cordan » Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:54 pm

Ashiwi wrote:If you get what you want, you didn't bid too high. If you didn't get what you want, then you didn't want it badly enough to pay for it. I understand your logic, because you want to pay the cheapest price possible on the items you want, and it would be really stupid to pay more than you might possibly get away with. Only "stupid" people like me would bid a really high amount to begin with if they could possibly get it cheaper... but then "stupid" people like me tend to get what they're willing to work or pay for, and still have plats to spare.

Sometimes it's not a question of how cheap you can be, it's a question of how much you want to invest.

1st: I never said stupid people "like you". I'll change it to say "people who can't afford to throw around cash"

Wanting to pay the cheapest price is not being cheap. It's being concious of your money, especially when you don't have much compared to most people. "Willing to work or pay for and still plats to spare" and "going out and getting it" (ie zoning) aren't exactly options for me these days with rl. Thus I saw the auction as a good way to get things after a month of saving up 1-2k. Guess not.

If you really wanted something that was worth maybe $10, but they were selling it for $50 where you were, and you didn't have time to go out and get it someplace else for $10 or less, and all you had to your name was $50, would you pay $50 for it?

I'm just as willing as anyone to work/zone for the things I want on this mud. If I was able, I would spend the time. But as much as I love the mud, it doesn't compare to family and work. So don't talk to me about "willing".
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:03 pm

Cordan, we'll stick with your logic: Person B) won because posting bid of 2.5 vs. A) being frugal not posting 5k. Now why did B just go all out? Most people know I have an auctioneer's license. I could give a damn less to same someone money when they make you chant over and over then jump in the last second. My job is to sell and make commission, not help you get a good deal. That's an effect of the auction. People have this preconceived notion "Oh, it's an auction. I can't pay what it's worth. I must pay bargain!" Hell, I saw this 1995 Caprice (police) go for $600 because everybody else just stands around thinking 'Whoa! $600?? What's _wrong_ with it? They know something I don't know.'

Someone usually enters an auction having criteria. They can execute their values and go accordingly. Getting a good price isn't directly what makes auctions work, demand and random selection is.

www.texasauctionacademy.com

Once you have a go, you'll love it! You get so much stuff, people think you earn 10x as much as you really will :P Now awhile back I actually thought adding a minute to ending bids was a good idea due to link issues. The whole point is the opening phrase. "Put it on the money boys. What's it worth??"
Cordan
Sojourner

Postby Cordan » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:11 pm

Is your commision based on quatity sold or price paid? I'm not talking about saving people money, I'm talking about time to respond. Isn't that what "Going once, Going twice, sold" is about? I know this auction couldn't be set up entirely like that, but a good many computer auction sites add 5 minutes to auction time to allow for responses (for ex. dellauction.com) for similar auction systems.

Not trying to drag this out, but I'm getting interested in learning some business values of auctioneers. Might learn something useful.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:19 pm

thanuk wrote:Why don't you just spend the 3 hours getting the eq instead of the 12 hours writing an uberl33t auction sniper trigger?

If its on the auction, its in the game. Go get it!

Cuz because after 3 years of trying to get 2 particular items by doing the zones, I've yet to get them.

Cuz cuz because i'm an evilrace goofball and can't zone :( *tear*

Cuz cuz cuz because I can' t get this one because because Dalar beats me to the rares everytime. :( *sniff*

*puppy dog eyes* Will you go get if for your snuggle wuggles nukkie wukkie?

lol
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:08 pm

There's just something about the vision of an undead jaw-clacker saying the words "snuggle wuggles" that tickles the hell outta me.

I really don't think adding some extra time on to the end of an auction would be either good or bad, i'm indifferent to it. The issue would be in coding it, and I have to admit I'm clueless in that department, although I can think of a lot of other things it would be nice to see instead of more auction code... not that the last auction code wasn't greatly appreciated, mind you!!
Lorsalian
Sojourner

Postby Lorsalian » Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:19 pm

Thilindel wrote:I don't use auction all that much, however, I attend RL auto auctions all the time. One thing you learn from the start - What's it worth to you. Sure being frugal can save some jink, but if one really wants something, nickel and diming stuff will lead to heartache pretty often. I can also say that RL auctioneers get pissed if over and over the crowd is non-responsive to the auctioneer's chant. Therefore, you hear the words 'Your man's out!' Basically, he's had enough of someone wasting his time. BG's auctioneer is already at this point! He must not get commission :wink:

I'm in the opposite situation .. I have attended the BG auctions, but have little experience in the real ones. However, I would think that if two people are, in fact, in the room and furiously overbidding eachother, then the auctioneer would keep it going.

From minor experience in selling items, the auctioneer DOES take a commission.

The current design lends itself to this:

Item sits in the display case for a few months, gathering oohs and aahs from the general populace and the adventurers, and the owner of the auction gains a bit of an extra commission telling the potential buyers about the items for a nominal fee (the 5p identifies).

The item sits for that long because some adventurers can't be bothered to come into town very often, being out adventuring (*)

The day for the sell arrives, and the main actioneer hands the item over to an assistant, who moves to a subpart of the room to begin his chant. Several adventurers have shown this day, and are weighted down with chests of bright platinum or with bank notes from the nearby bank that say that the adventurer has the means.

All day the clamouring has been near silent, until the clock begins to chime the hour. Then the shouting becomes a deafening din -- the youngster might see some nice commission today!

Unfortunately for the young auctioneer, there is an hourglass sitting next to him, and any excitement that would push up his commission is stopped abruptly when the sands run out.

This tends to depress the assistants, so they don't try anymore ... might be why we can't hear them ...

(*) If you thought of making a comment about this, don't
Thanuk OOC: 'thats 6 years of hard work, come to fruitition in 1 single statement'

Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:08 am

Cordan wrote:Is your commision based on quatity sold or price paid? I'm not talking about saving people money, I'm talking about time to respond. Isn't that what "Going once, Going twice, sold" is about? I know this auction couldn't be set up entirely like that, but a good many computer auction sites add 5 minutes to auction time to allow for responses (for ex. dellauction.com) for similar auction systems.

Not trying to drag this out, but I'm getting interested in learning some business values of auctioneers. Might learn something useful.

Answer is both. More I would sell, more money comes in. Used to get 12% commission. At Wolf's Auto Auction (Evansville, IN) they're high volume. Can buy yourself a new corvette back when I was doing that about once / 2 months. :) Cuz you're driving someone else's car. Auctioneering is very easy, specially if you can speak fast. It's almost a curse, but comes in handy in this line of work. Wolf's has ranges, where they take x%. More the car brings, the higher % commission I get. If I sell a 2003 Vette, I'd probably make 2k on the spot. If I sell a 1992 Crown Vic for $1,200, I'll make $145 or so. Get into antiques! The old ladies bidding will drive you nuts!!! I haven't done auctioneering for bout 3 yrs or more. Was only once per week cuz the income is so freaking cool.

Oh yeah, you make money from both the seller and the buyer. Buyer's and Seller's fees are nuts :P If you sell a car for $500, for example, you get about $385 of it :( Poor sellers
Marforp
Sojourner

Postby Marforp » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:52 am

I think this issue falls into the why bother category... However, if someone wanted to bother instead of extending the time I would suggest doing it sort of like Ebay does it. You enter your max price you would be willing to pay, but the bid only goes up by $X. If someone goes over your bid a check goes against the highest current bidder to see if he/she was really willing to pay more. If so that auction automatically takes place.

If anyone really wanted to make a change about how the auctions work I would much prefer a RL time put on all the auctions. When an auction closes 3M from now there is no way to tell when during the day it will close.

Marforp (a.k.a. Sasdor / Lalokiple)
Lorsalian
Sojourner

Postby Lorsalian » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:52 am

Marforp wrote:I think this issue falls into the why bother category... However, if someone wanted to bother instead of extending the time I would suggest doing it sort of like Ebay does it. You enter your max price you would be willing to pay, but the bid only goes up by $X. If someone goes over your bid a check goes against the highest current bidder to see if he/she was really willing to pay more. If so that auction automatically takes place.

If anyone really wanted to make a change about how the auctions work I would much prefer a RL time put on all the auctions. When an auction closes 3M from now there is no way to tell when during the day it will close.

Marforp (a.k.a. Sasdor / Lalokiple)

So, instead of doing something potentially simple, you want to have a more complex code placed in?

*ponder*

moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:15 am

I don't really mind auc being the way it is, with one notable exception.

A bunch of players, myself included, once bid on some item. The bids went up to 12k before it was sold. However, there was then at some point a crash and a restore. I was busy with RL, but when I logged on a few days later and discovered this, I checked out the auction to see whether the bids had been recorded. According to the auctioneer, the winner was a much earlier bid, at 2k.

There was only one such item up for auction at the time.

Bug or feature? You decide.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”